PDA

View Full Version : Blocking question...

ZodiacNKnight
May 24, 2005, 09:27 PM
I'm an old PSO veteran and I know a lot about the game, perhaps more than I need to know... Anyways, ever since I started playing way back on the DC and played during the GC hack days. I always wondered if blocking was calculated realistically or just through basic numbers...
I'm guessing that blocking is just based on numbers with EVP than rather with EVP and chance/direction.

What I'm trying to say is: Do you have a better chance of blocking when you're facing the monster?
I just have this natural hunch about this... But I doubt it.

Because it would seem more realistic if you got hit in the back that you wouldn't be able to block the attack... And if you got hit in the front you would have a better chance of blocking.
This theory of mine doesn't seem fit because some cases you can block from behind often. Especially when you're on a easier difficulty or have an insane amount of EVP...

I could look this up through data files but I don't want to spend the time nor Patience...
Anyone know for sure...

SuperSpeedy
May 24, 2005, 09:31 PM
I'm not too sure about it... but it does seem like you block less when slapped in the back... unless you're in the 20s fighting stuff in Normal Forest, where it seems like you block everything but Hildebears.

Skorpius
May 24, 2005, 09:37 PM
I had a theory a while ago that no one gave two shits about, but I'll bring it up again.

My theory stated that EVP vreated a window in which certain amounts of damage (in HP) would be blocked. The window would reach from 0 to whatever, based on some unknown equation in-game. It was questioned why Deband/Jellen increased blocking frequency. I explained that lowering enemy ATP and increasing user DFP would reduce the damage enough to fall into the EVP window created by the statistic. It was also believed that taking 0 damage would create a block animation, but I disproved this with a video of my HUmar getting hit, doing that hit animation, and taking 0 damage.
Also, since a lot of enemy statistics are varied, it's possible that a few enemies have the ability to ignore the EVP window, especially enemies with fixed damage attacks.

This is only a theory though, but it IS sound, with a LOT of evidence. Many could claim GAME DATA SAYS OTHERWISE, but I have more evidence than just 4 words.

About the facing direction and varied chances of blocking, I don't think this could be true, I've never noticed it.

Jive18
May 24, 2005, 09:50 PM
On 2005-05-24 19:37, Skorpius wrote:
I had a theory a while ago that no one gave two shits about, but I'll bring it up again.

My theory stated that EVP vreated a window in which certain amounts of damage (in HP) would be blocked. The window would reach from 0 to whatever, based on some unknown equation in-game. It was questioned why Deband/Jellen increased blocking frequency. I explained that lowering enemy ATP and increasing user DFP would reduce the damage enough to fall into the EVP window created by the statistic. It was also believed that taking 0 damage would create a block animation, but I disproved this with a video of my HUmar getting hit, doing that hit animation, and taking 0 damage.
Also, since a lot of enemy statistics are varied, it's possible that a few enemies have the ability to ignore the EVP window, especially enemies with fixed damage attacks.

This is only a theory though, but it IS sound, with a LOT of evidence. Many could claim GAME DATA SAYS OTHERWISE, but I have more evidence than just 4 words.

About the facing direction and varied chances of blocking, I don't think this could be true, I've never noticed it.

That is a really interesting theory Skorp. I always thought that when I played on hard mode, for example, that the reason I blocked every attack with my high-level HUmar was based all on my defense. This whole window idea makes just as much sense though. The reason you block everything is because of the enemies' attacks being too weak to move outside the window. They simply do not have the capabilities of affecting HP. It's one of those things that is easy to understand but wouldn't be thought of normally (at least by me).

I've wondered about evasion for a long time, and I think this idea seems very possible.

ZodiacNKnight
May 25, 2005, 12:53 AM
Skorpius that does seem pretty logical...
Perhaps that's why you'll never be able to block a Death Gunner's Beam or the Chaos Bringer's special attack. Fixed damages or special attacks that completely ignore the EVP window.

I believe that a level 200 character will not be able to block a Dark Gunner on normal no matter how high his/her EVP is. Perhaps maybe someone could test this...?

Here is a list of attacks that I am assuming can NOT be blocked.

Dragon - ?Landing? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Ground Eruption/bBurrow? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Stepped on? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Ground/Shark attack? - Not sure if blockable
Pofuilly Slime - Blue bouncing fire
Nano Dragon - Semi-homing energy sphere
Nano Dragon - Blue Energy Beam
De Rol Le - Purple small lasers
De Rol Le - Spike Bombs
De Rol Le - Giant Mouth Laser
De Rol Le - ?Falling Rocks? - Not sure if blockable
De Rol Le - ?Needles? - Not sure if blockable
Gillchic - Bluish/Purple Laser
Garanz - Missiles
Vol Opt 2 - Missiles
Vol Opt 2 - ?Crushing Pillars? - Not sure if blockable
Vol Opt 2 - Special Laser Attack
Dark Belra - Shooting Claws
Death Gunners - Green/Red Laser
Chaos Bringer - Special Attack
Dark Falz 1 & 2 - Falling bluish/purple lasers (heavens cry)
Dark Falz 3 - Blue enery balls
Dark Falz 3 - Damage through stolen soul
Dark Falz 3 - ?Arm Swing? - Not sure if blockable

Since techs/magic ignore EVP.
Another thought to be taken in consideration is that maybe some attacks are considered to be a tech/magic. Monster special attacks could really just be techs that only they can use. If this is the case then I could alter weapons and/or change techs to do monster attacks. This would be on the DC version but it would be very interesting to see how that works.

Handgun special = Poison Spit Ball (Poison Lilly)
Rifle special = Bluish/purple laser (Nano Dragon)
etc...

Kalier
May 25, 2005, 04:43 AM
On 2005-05-24 22:53, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
Here is a list of attacks that I am assuming can NOT be blocked.

Dragon - ?Landing? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Ground Eruption/bBurrow? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Stepped on? - Not sure if blockable
Dragon - ?Ground/Shark attack? - Not sure if blockable
Pofuilly Slime - Blue bouncing fire
Nano Dragon - Semi-homing energy sphere
Nano Dragon - Blue Energy Beam
De Rol Le - Purple small lasers
De Rol Le - Spike Bombs
De Rol Le - Giant Mouth Laser
De Rol Le - ?Falling Rocks? - Not sure if blockable
De Rol Le - ?Needles? - Not sure if blockable
Gillchic - Bluish/Purple Laser
Garanz - Missiles
Vol Opt 2 - Missiles
Vol Opt 2 - ?Crushing Pillars? - Not sure if blockable
Vol Opt 2 - Special Laser Attack
Dark Belra - Shooting Claws
Death Gunners - Green/Red Laser
Chaos Bringer - Special Attack
Dark Falz 1 & 2 - Falling bluish/purple lasers (heavens cry)
Dark Falz 3 - Blue enery balls
Dark Falz 3 - Damage through stolen soul
Dark Falz 3 - ?Arm Swing? - Not sure if blockable

out of all those, i do believe i recall blocking these before.]
De Rol Le - ?Needles? (if by needles you mean his attacks while he lands on the raft)
Dark Belra - Shooting Claws-one i think i blocked this.

Tact
May 25, 2005, 05:10 AM
Needles, meaning those things that flash red and explode on the raft? And, in certain situations, circle around you?

Neith
May 25, 2005, 05:22 AM
I thought needles would mean it's impaling attack when he's on the side of the raft.

Tact
May 25, 2005, 05:35 AM
On 2005-05-25 03:22, UrikoBB3 wrote:
I thought needles would mean it's impaling attack when he's on the side of the raft.

Hmm. I thought of that attack more as a "Tentacle Attack" rather than a "Needle Attack".

ZodiacNKnight
May 25, 2005, 08:22 AM
Well they're needles/tentacles...
If I remember correctly when you get the Data about De Rol Le in one of the quests. It says it has needles or something that injects its pray with the virus/parasite that takes over the host... so I donno...

Anyways I was just trying to list out what I remember not being able to block... I'm sure the list isn't 100% accurate but it's something to look into. The question marks next to the attacks mean that I don't remember if I had blocked it or not...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2005-05-25 06:29 ]</font>

Skorpius
May 25, 2005, 11:20 AM
Dragon - Landing
Dragon - Ground Eruption/Burrow
Dragon - Stepped on

I'm fairly certain these are blockable. I know that I've blocked Normal Mode Dragon quite a bit using a high leveled character.