PDA

View Full Version : power cords

PhotonDrop
May 25, 2005, 03:15 PM
So I went to turn on my Gamecube earlier, it refused to. I switched outlets and it still wouldn't.

This is the second power cord that went out on me, except this one has no visible problem, the last one was burned out on the prongs, the current one looks fine.

I have no idea how this happened, I take good care of my belongings, and the house never gets too hot or too cold so whatever is going on is a mystery to me.

But I am sure of one thing, it's pissing me off. :/

Dek
May 25, 2005, 03:39 PM
Could be something wrong with either the outlet or the inside of the power box that the cord is attached to (of course, you knew what that was anyways http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

Sayara
May 25, 2005, 03:48 PM
It got old?

Make sure you don't have any light switches that effect the power in the room. (My room's light switch turns everything on one side of the room off).

Scrub
May 25, 2005, 03:59 PM
Power cords suck. I drove 9 hours to somebody's house once, started to set up my Gamecube, and realized that I forgot the fucking power cords.

Then that whole Xbox Explosive Power Cords or whatever shit that went on.

<_< We need EVERLASTING BATTERIES.

Tact
May 25, 2005, 04:04 PM
Scrub, was that the time when that guy mutilated his Xbox power cord so it would fit your GCN?

Deathscythealpha
May 25, 2005, 07:12 PM
Do you have fuses in the plugs on US appliances? If you do, maybe thats whats blown in the plug on the power cord.

*Only knows how to wire and fix UK plugs*

PhotonDrop
May 25, 2005, 07:13 PM
On 2005-05-25 13:48, Tingle wrote:
It got old?

Make sure you don't have any light switches that effect the power in the room. (My room's light switch turns everything on one side of the room off).

how could it have "gotten old"? It's barely 3 months old! D:

About the switches, the only one in this room controls the ceiling fan.

Jive18
May 25, 2005, 07:51 PM
Wow...that's really strange. I've had my Cube for 3 years and never had any issues with the power cord *knocks on wood*. I don't know much of anything about the electronics inside the power cord, but maybe the actual Gamecube console is doing something to them. It would make sense considering you just bought a brand new one that is now already having issues.

But like I said before, I'm not too much of a buff about the insides of cords, etc.

TheOneHero
May 26, 2005, 07:33 AM
Do you plug it directly into the wall? >_>

And PD, since you weren't able to get on PSO when I asked, you have to give all your claws. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

darthsaber9x9
May 26, 2005, 09:59 AM
what annoys me more about thw GC power cables is the fact that its not just a standard power cable that the other consoles use

BrokenHope
May 26, 2005, 10:46 AM
On 2005-05-25 17:12, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Do you have fuses in the plugs on US appliances? If you do, maybe thats whats blown in the plug on the power cord.

*Only knows how to wire and fix UK plugs*

US plugs don't have fuses, I don't think they are earthed either.

PhotonDrop
May 26, 2005, 02:16 PM
On 2005-05-26 05:33, TheOneHero wrote:
Do you plug it directly into the wall? >_>

And PD, since you weren't able to get on PSO when I asked, you have to give all your claws. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

yes I do.

and you can keep dreaming XP

Blitzkommando
May 26, 2005, 07:06 PM
On 2005-05-26 07:59, darthsaber9x9 wrote:
what annoys me more about thw GC power cables is the fact that its not just a standard power cable that the other consoles use

That is because the GameCube runs on 12 volts Direct Current. To conserve size on the system on the GameCube, Nintendo put the converter externally on the power cable instead of inside the box.

PD, do you have anything else that you regularly plug into that outlet? You might have for some reason had the fuse blow for that outlet, or the circuit reset. It sounds odd that the power cables are doing that.

zero12410
May 27, 2005, 11:13 PM
there is a fuse in the gc power cord that can blow and may need to be replaced

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 28, 2005, 07:29 AM
Do you use a "surge protector"? Its only in name really, since people have reported around here that it doesn't help in an electrical storm.

Do you use a grounded outlet(three prong input, not just two)? Or cheaply priced add on adapter?

Surge protectors I can find around here for like $6 and the outlet adapter(description: small metal plate on the end of a three prong input) for like $1.50.

I have always used surge protectors and grounded outlets. My dad is an electrical engineer. He kind of instilled it into me. I've been shocked by my SNES adapter when it was finally biting the dust, but other than that I'm okay-no problems with outlets/power cords ever.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with them.

Nai_Calus
May 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
And if you use an outlet converter, make sure you actually have the thing screwed on, or it won't have the desired effect. XP