PDA

View Full Version : Xbox keyboard?

Parn
Aug 1, 2002, 02:44 PM
Found out about this through Ah King's forums from a poster there. Well, it's not official, but apparently Xbox keyboards will be in existance.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801385

So now, there is only one question remaining... will Sonic Team program in keyboard support, despite Microsoft not releasing an official keyboard? The possibility's still pretty high, considering there's no official keyboard from Nintendo either.

On another note related to Interact products, Gameshark's still set to release on the 16th. I wonder if it's too late for Sonic Team to lock it out, considering that it takes time to manufacture discs and distribute them. Here's hoping.

Mag_Launcher
Aug 1, 2002, 02:52 PM
No official Nintendo keyboard? Are you sure of that? *Points toward the OFFICIAL Nintendo KB/Controller hybrid*

BaronLaw
Aug 1, 2002, 03:23 PM
Keyboard support would make me more likely to consider a future purchase of PSO for the XBox. The voice communicator feature isn't appealing and its hitherto mandatory nature had consigned (XBox) PSO to the ash-heap of history for me. Perhaps this will change things.

BaronLaw

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-08-01 13:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-08-01 13:27 ]</font>

Alielle
Aug 1, 2002, 04:51 PM
On 2002-08-01 12:52, Mag_Launcher wrote:
No official Nintendo keyboard? Are you sure of that? *Points toward the OFFICIAL Nintendo KB/Controller hybrid*

It's a third-party controller. It's not made by Nintendo.

Kalbelgarion
Aug 1, 2002, 04:58 PM
Well, some may feel that a keyboard would be more useful that VC in chatting on P2 or in the lobby, but having someone on your team using a keyboard instead of VC would hinder battles and such.

Sonic Team can put in keyboard support if they want...I can live with that. But I hope other companies don't hop onto that bandwaggon. I remember NFL2K1...and squinting at the screen to read the typed messages. Ugg.

Denny
Aug 1, 2002, 05:01 PM
All Xbox Live games are not required to feature voice chatting. Microsoft will be supporting developers that opt not to use the feature.

With Microsoft's Xbox Live online service scheduled to begin testing later this month in America, directors Michael Mott and John Thomson recently spoke with Ascii regarding the company's development plans.

Ascii: Most people haven't been surprised by the Xbox Live service, even after playing some of its launch titles at E3. Do you think that's because it was announced last year and Microsoft plans to launch the service with a lineup of familiar or 'safe' software titles?

Thomson: That's an interesting question. In our view, the software lineup for Xbox Live will grow gradually. At first we're trying to appeal to the hard-core players, and we'll build our audience from there. So initially we've chosen games which we believe will appeal to the hard-core player. While many of the early games for Xbox Live are based on existing concepts, there are some revolutionary new games in the pipeline as well. But I'm very confident in our current lineup. Star Wars Galaxies, for example, which is currently being developed for the North American market will be very exciting. Players can expect future Xbox Live games to offer TV-program style updates. Thereby, normally there are 26 episodes in a television season. Players can expect weekly game 'episodes' or updates in the near future.

Ascii: One major component of the Xbox Live service will be voice chat. This is relatively new for online games, so why is Microsoft pursuing it so much? If you ask online RPG players in the PC market, many of them believe such features aren't necessary. Your thoughts?

Thomson: There are some wonderful possibilities for voice chat. I believe the number of people who have actually played online games incorporating voice chat is very small. The spoken word is the most natural form of communication. Sega's Yuji Naka has been asked this question before as well. And he has said he believes it will change the future of videogames. I believe voice communication among online players is exciting and will add a new element of cooperation to our games. PC players are naturally going to be more comfortable with a keyboard because they're accustomed to using one. However, voice communication is more natural among console game players. We want to create an online game environment which is like playing with a friend in the same room. I think it's too complicated for players to use a controller and a keyboard to communicate. Nevertheless, we've included the keyboard option for game developers who aren't interested in incorporating voice chat features.

Ascii: The Xbox Live service will be independent from ISP selection, so players can connect using a variety of broadband providers. However, that can be especially difficult for players without a PC background. Why did you choose this setup?

Mott: Because of their location, some players don't have a choice in their service provider. So we decided to build a service which would be compatible with virtually all ISPs. In order to build the Xbox Live service beyond the hard-core audience, we plan to establish relationships with some ISPs in the future.

For the whole interview;
http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/8163/

Russta
Aug 1, 2002, 05:04 PM
Just incase you didn't know the Xbox uses USB technology for its stuff just through a different connection thingy. I have no idea what use this is but I thought i'd throw it in anyway.

BioFan
Aug 1, 2002, 05:36 PM
On 2002-08-01 12:52, Mag_Launcher wrote:

That is made by ASCII, and so far only for Japan. Not sure if they will release it here in US...hope so cos it looks damn cool...

KoRnyCloud912
Aug 1, 2002, 11:56 PM
BIO!!!!!! its me Epyonx!! well, HI!

See ya on PSO sometime

Bye

BaronLaw
Aug 2, 2002, 12:18 AM
All Xbox Live games are not required to feature voice chatting. Microsoft will be supporting developers that opt not to use the feature.

I'm glad to learn of this. Previously, I had almost given up on the idea of signing up for XBox Live. Now, depending on keyboard support, I just may purchase a year's worth of time.

BaronLaw

Riel
Aug 2, 2002, 09:01 AM
What this mean is that the option will be there for games that aren't developped by Microsoft.Microsoft will not stop someone from making a keyboard option,but you will never see a game without the Communicator option as well,it will have to be in there.