PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if everyone knows him better, give me a fucking

Cannibal-Snowman
May 26, 2005, 03:17 PM
You're probably thinking that this is a stupid love rant. Well, it's not. It's about the thing you'd least expect: Marching Band.

For those non-Band Geeks out there, I've got some explaining to do. In marching band, every section (group of instruments) has a person who leads them and is in charge of the group. This person is known as a section leader. Well, I'm getting ready for my third year of marching band, so I decided to try out for section leader.

Later on, I found out that there was another person trying out, a person I'll call "Josh." Now, I know Josh. We're pretty good friends. I was content with him becoming section leader, but I don't know if he felt the same way about me. So anyway, our first practice comes up. I'm trying to act like a section leader should, so I have good chances. I didn't see Josh do much. At that point, I thought I had a pretty good chance.

Turns out I didn't. I just got back from the school, and he got it. Now, I'm okay with him being section leader, but it's the fact that everybody in our section fucking hates me that pisses me off. I even heard one person talking about how they didn't want me to be section leader, and how they would even consider quitting if I got it! I never did anything to them, and yet for some reason, they fucking hate me!

The other problem was that everybody knows Josh. Everyone knows him, and everyone likes him. That doesn't mean that I don't deserve a chance! If those people actually got to know me, they would like me! Instead, they just listen to what the people who hate me say, and they think that all of that is fucking true. Also, Josh's dad is the Band Treasurer, so he essentially bribed his way in (his dad works for the band, so he had a greater chance).

Please, don't try and argue with me. Don't try to change my mind about all this. I'm just venting. I'm pissed off, and I need to get this off my chest. That's all I want to do. I don't want to argue about anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cannibal-Snowman on 2005-05-26 13:21 ]</font>

Pagit
May 26, 2005, 03:43 PM
Oh, I do know how you feel. I went through some similar crap when I was in marching band. Marching band politics suck. Oh, the stories I could tell . . . especially from my junior year.

What do you play? I played the trumpet.

Scejntjynahl
May 26, 2005, 03:47 PM
"It is not what you know, but who you know" that helps get that job, position, etc etc. Welcome to the reality of how things really function around here.

Jive18
May 26, 2005, 07:50 PM
Except for the part about everyone hating you, I can relate exactly to your situation. I'm an alto sax in my band, and this year we had a junior as section leader. He was good and everything, only problem he really doesn't care for marching band that much, so he decided he won't be in it next year. This leaves an open whole for me and my friend Conor (we'll both be juniors next year). We get along really well, so we're hoping that our director chooses both of us to lead the altos. We agreed that regardless of which of us is chosen, we'll say we won't do it unless the other one is named co-leader http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I have no idea on what the decision will be, but I'm really hoping he'll ask me first.

Anyways, sorry to hear about what happened with you. I'd say just rebel and don't listen do a damn thing Josh tells you to do. There isn't one person who's not in band that understands all of the drama and joy involved in marching and field-show.

Jehosaphaty
May 26, 2005, 08:08 PM
On 2005-05-26 17:50, Jive18 wrote:
Anyways, sorry to hear about what happened with you. I'd say just rebel and don't listen do a damn thing Josh tells you to do.

...brilliant. I'd say that's your best bet to make everyone like you. Lead a coup in the band. It's the stuff legends are made of.

Wyndham
May 26, 2005, 10:20 PM
get the all the horns to play "love rollercoaster".
that was a great episode.

Cannibal-Snowman
May 28, 2005, 11:24 AM
Okay, well just so everyone knows, my problem has been solved. I talked to Josh today, and he said he actually wanted to work out some kind of co-leader thing. So, that's good. But wait! It gets better.

I found out that I actually did get a leadership position, but not section leader. I actually got a position that's higher than a section leader! On the sheet, it said something like "Band Secretary/Librarian," but when I asked my teacher what it was, he said that he would call it something along the lines of "Band Quartermaster/Lieutenant." Me and one of my friends got this position. Funny thing is, I can't really remember what it is that we do. Oh well. At least I beat Josh!

Jive18
May 29, 2005, 12:41 AM
On 2005-05-28 09:24, Cannibal-Snowman wrote:
Okay, well just so everyone knows, my problem has been solved. I talked to Josh today, and he said he actually wanted to work out some kind of co-leader thing. So, that's good. But wait! It gets better.

I found out that I actually did get a leadership position, but not section leader. I actually got a position that's higher than a section leader! On the sheet, it said something like "Band Secretary/Librarian," but when I asked my teacher what it was, he said that he would call it something along the lines of "Band Quartermaster/Lieutenant." Me and one of my friends got this position. Funny thing is, I can't really remember what it is that we do. Oh well. At least I beat Josh!

Lol awesome Snowman, major congrats to you. This proves once again that band kicks ass.

Btw, I was joking about rebelling against Josh, not that it matters now because he probably has to listen to you http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.