PDA

View Full Version : May be uncalled for, but...

Orange_Coconut
May 27, 2005, 01:10 AM
I just got into a car crash yesterday, around 2-ish Eastern time. Here's the lowdown:

I had just driven past the intersection on Route 30, and had just passed the "You are now entering Natick" sign, when I see this blue van on the other side of the road a little bit over the middle line.

Now, I've seen some really stupid drivers before, so I thought he may have been just doing a poor job at keeping himself on his side of the road (as sad as it is, I've seen people do that before). Well, it turns out that wasn't the case, even though I gave him space to be near the center of the road he started drifting to my side of the road, and by that time it was too late.

So, his car crashed head first into the fron of mine, and I got out totally panicked (I'm only 18, for the record), I immediately got out of the car, and kneeled on the side of the road. Yes, I was crying, yes I was scared shitless, and yes I was bleeding.

I felt like I couldn't even breathe, my adrenaline had reached the highest it ever had after being in that crash, I was so afraid. People stopped all around and everyone kept asking the same question "Are you ok?", well, that didn't really seem like an appropraite question at such a time (though, I feel bad saying that, I know they were all just concerned). But when I saw the other guy come out of his car, the guy who crashed into me, his hand had a gigantic gash in it going down to his wrist. I immediately checked my body, afraid that the same thing could have happened to me. When one's adrenaline is boosted like that, you can't really feel pain, all I felt was fear and I was shivering like no other.

As weird as it was, I had no gigantic scars or cuts on me, my lip was bleeding as was a series of cuts in my pelvic region. I was so convinced something crappy must have happened to me. My ribs felt crushed, the area right below my knee caps hurt, and everyone around me kept saying I was cold, and I guess I was..

After getting to the hospital, and seeing what went wrong... It seemed unbelieveable, the damage report to me. I had nothing broken, I had nothing permanently scarred, heck I didn't even need stitches for the cut on my lip (it's swollen, has a yellow line from I think puss that was seeping out, and it's purple and bulging). But the good news is that it wasn't open enough for stitches.

As for my bones? Apparently nothing was cracked, nothing was broken, but they're all badly bruised, so it's hard to do certain things. Like... Each time I stand up and sit down my knees hurt like no other, and I can't twist my neck too far because it hurts the muscles in it. My chest hurts like crazy, there are three seperate bruises almost connected around my left clavicle and the center of my chest has pains as well.

In some ways I would say I'm extremely lucky, and I feel bad being mad at the guy who crashed into me but at the same time I feel I have the right to be. But it was sad when a policeman came into my hospital room and told me the guy was 86, and he didn't remember a thing. Now, as sad as that made me, I feel that maybe they should have more than an eye exam to see if the elderly can keep driving.

I don't know, I am angry and I feel guilty about it. I also got this thing called air-bag burn, so some hairs on my left arm are burnt off by it, like a circular patch. My tooth also was chipped, but nothing serious, it was a minor chip on what my orthodontist said was the strongest tooth in my mouth, and had it been any other there may have been major problems.

I feel like I was incredibly lucky, even though I did have my seatbelt on and the air-bags popped out... I dunno why, but I thought I was a fucking gonner when I saw the car come into my lane. I hadn't done anything wrong, we were both going around the speed limit (so both cars were moving), and my car is totally totalled (which, honestly, I don't care about since my body wasn't "totalled"). But damn, I'm achey and feel like shit. Didn't eat anything yesterday either (Wednesday, that is. I tend to stay up late so my references are a bit confusing). So all of this happened on the 25th. I look like someone busted my lip in a fight, but that would never happen... Then again, this guy drifting into my lane did... Never even imagined that possibility.

I have a feeling I won't feel comfortable driving for a while.

navci
May 27, 2005, 01:46 AM
I am glad you are okay! Sounds like it was really close.

Take your time to get use to driving I guess. No need to rush. I do agree with you though, when people get too old, I think they shouldn't be driving, their eyesight, reaction time and judgement is going to slow down! It isn't even safe for them to walk on the road alone sometimes.

Today apparently there was a car crash right in the heart of downtown. An old lady was crossing the road while a big truck was turning. Old lady died. I am not sure whose fault it is but it just makes me feel sad about being old, I guess. You are deterioating and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

... Anyway.
At least you're safe. Take it easy okay?

HUnewearl_Meira
May 27, 2005, 02:15 AM
To your credit, you have every right to be upset about it. You've incurred medical bills, and suffered injuries, some of which are likely to haunt you for the rest of your life, and none due to any fault of your own. Any anger you have would certainly be justified.

On the other hand, this elderly man was likely just doing what he feels is his responsibility to do. He's probably got a few grandchildren that were rather upset to hear that their grandfather was in an accident. Feeling guilty for your anger would certainly be justified, as well.

There is one thing you can do to sort things out, however: Forgiveness.

Even if you are unable to express it to him, make it clear, at least to yourself, that you forgive him for what transpired on that day. I'm sure he feels just as bad about it as you do.

And hey, it's good to hear that in the end, you're all right. I bid you luck on a speedy recovery!

ABDUR101
May 27, 2005, 08:13 AM
Not to try and worry you more than necessary, but take care of yourself. Do not use moist heat to help any muscles that might be sore. It'll make them bleed, and you don't want that if they're torn.

If I were you, I'd prolly try and pay the old guy a visit. Remember that at his age, an accident could do much more damage, and I'm sure he's just as shaken as you are about it. No one walks away from an accident and shrugs it off, expecially when other people are involved. (Wrecking into an enbankment or telephone pole is bad enough, possibly harming others is much worse.)

Give him a visit if you like anyway, see how he's doing, then he can see how you're doing, etc. You don't have to know each other to show concern.

Daikarin
May 28, 2005, 05:19 AM
On 2005-05-26 23:10, Orange_Coconut wrote:

I don't know, I am angry and I feel guilty about it.

If your version is the actual version, the guy just went to your side without watching his rear end. It was HIS fault.

Good to see you're ok. Don't worry, shit happens. It's easy for me to talk, but I went through some difficult issues (not on driving, though, but on other fields) which I had to lose fear of.

dude3282
May 28, 2005, 08:34 AM
I was in my first wreck a couple of weeks ago. I was riding to school with one of my friends, he was driving. We were coming to a red light going about 40 or something when his brakes went out and we rear-ended the car in front of us, which then bounced into a pickup in front of it. I was so freaked out. Luckily, no one was hurt, but we wrecked the car in front of us pretty badly, completely folded in the trunk. The truck ended up just driving off, and my friend's Ford Explorer was hardly scratched. But man, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I still get a bit nervous whenever the car's braking. The feeling of not stopping right before the abrupt adrenaline rush keeps haunting me. I know how freaky it can be with your state of mind. Hope you get better, sounds like you'll be fine. Just keep your head up and don't get all depressed about it.

Daikarin
May 28, 2005, 08:44 AM
In here, one of the rules of driving is that on a crossroad, a vehicle coming from the right always has the priority, unless indicated otherwise.

I was in my driving lessons, and I approach this intersection. No signs or anything, and the road to the right was one-way only, so no cars would come from there.

There was this giant truck parked to the left of me, making it me impossible to see if someone was coming from the left. But my instructor reminded me I had priority, so I kept going. Slow, still.

All of a sudden, this dude comes flying off from the blind spot, and passes right in front of me as I brake suddenly. He breaks too, ahead of me, giving me the "Wtf look". My instructor kept cursing at him, as he sped up and drove away.

Excess speed should lead to prison. I mean, seriously. Entering a crossroads, not caring about who comes from the right, at THAT speed? He should be going at around 80km/h, when the maximum allowed is 50!

Smartasses.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-05-28 06:44 ]</font>

Allos
May 28, 2005, 08:58 AM
At least your ok. I almost got in an accident yesterday. Light turns green at an intersection. I start to pull forward and then slam on the brake as some asshole doing at least 65 in a 40 zone blows through the red light.

Jive18
May 29, 2005, 01:04 AM
When you were describing that feeling of panick and anxiety I know exactly how it felt for you. Although my accident did not involve another car, I could not have imagined ever feeling as anxious and panicked as I did when my ABS went off and I lost all control.

I was driving home in January after me and my mom went shopping. It was around 7:30 at night, dark of course, and a near white-out had just hit (all you people who have snowy winters now what that means). I couldn't see damn near anything, and I was driving ridiculously slow when I reached a "T" intersection. Since there is no stop sign there, I just had to yield, which I did, and then make my turn. Apparently the road was slick enough for my anti-lock brakes to start pumping, and I could not turn fast enough. My mom and I ended up in a 7-foot deep ditch, the car slanted at probably an 80 degree angle http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Luckily enough I was able to drive out of it without rolling, but I will never forget how I felt in the seconds after the accident. I thought I was going to hyper-venolate. I was crying and my mom could barely get me back to my senses.

I'm glad to hear you're all right. That sounded like a really bad accident from your reaccount. Anyways, I think you have reason to feel anger towards the man, but forgiveness is one virtue that everyone should exemplify yet few ever do.

Evil_Althena8
Jun 1, 2005, 12:17 AM
That sounds really freakin' scary...you had every right to freak out. When I got into my first crash I freaked out...just a little. It was only a fender-bender type crash. I was in the car with my friend who was driving. We were on the way to the store to pick up somehting for his mom, when I decided it would be best to go to Kroger instead of the store we were going to. Well...my friend zoned out and ended up crashing into the back of a Grand Prix at about 20-30mph.

It was my very first crash so I was slightly panicked. My friend's Geo Metro(aluminum can piece of shit) was totaled in the front....we barely scratched the guys car. The guy we hit ended up being arrested for having a warrant...that's kind of fucked up. The weirdest thing is...I rarely wear my seat-belt in friends, cars. I don't know why. That day I just decided for no reason to put my seat belt on. I'm glad I did.

I was so scared to ride in a car after that. Every time it came time to stop behind a car, I'd feel adrenaline and my knees would tense up like I'm preparing to crash. It took months to get over it, but I did finally get over it.

Orange_Coconut
Jun 7, 2005, 03:56 AM
Well, I got a letter from him, and have had some time to think things over. The letter he sent was hard to understand, I feel bad. He's still in the hospital, and here I am basically unscathed. I need to write a letter back, I plan on visiting him as well.

It's been about 2 weeks since the crash and almost everything seems to be healed. The only thing I'm worried about is my chest area, I was playing tennis with my dad two days ago and my chest got pretty sharp pains after a while of playing. Every stroke mildly hurt it, or stressed it, I guess. I don't really know, but it was hard to concentrate on hitting the ball after my chest started hurting whenever I would breathe.

I know it should be better by now, but I really don't want to go back to the hospital. Hospitals are really depressing, for me at least. I also don't want to find out if anything is wrong with me. I know, that's my fault and a flaw for wanting to just keep on going, but things happen for a reason, and I don't know what the reason was for this event, but I should just deal with what has happened. That's a personal belief, and it may screw me over in the end someday. It's a weird belief too, only because I believe it only for myself but not others, in certain circumstances. Hard to explain, I dunno, anyways. I'm ok.

Daikarin
Jun 7, 2005, 09:58 AM
On 2005-06-07 01:56, Orange_Coconut wrote:
Every stroke mildly hurt it, or stressed it, I guess. I don't really know, but it was hard to concentrate on hitting the ball after my chest started hurting whenever I would breathe.

(...)

I'm ok.

You're not ok. Tennis pushes a lot out of you, and if you keep forcing yourself like that it won't end up nicely. It may re-open an internal wound, or cause an internal infection.

This may damage you in the long-term. Go see a doctor.

Link00seven
Jun 7, 2005, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear you are doing okay.

I'm acually just getting my permit (June 14th) so the world of driving is quite new to me. However, I have been paying attention to the debate that suggest's people over 65 or so should be required to retake the test and everything again. Instances like this are why I completly support that debate.

Just my $0.02