PDA

View Full Version : MSR: How to destroy a perfectly fine racing game.

KodiaX987
Jun 2, 2005, 09:41 AM
OK, first off, I like games that use the Kudos system. I really do! They'd rock so much ass if it wasn't for the shitty designs that they had to go through.

But then. I've tried Project Gotham Racing. I demoed it at the EB one fine day and chose a car. Then another. Then another. Then another. Until I realized the handbrake button was absolutely useless in that game, and the only safe way to do a powerslide was to slam the brakes and turn at the same time, or else I'd hit the cones and spin out of control. Not good.

Then came MSR. Metropolis Street Racer.

I popped this game into my Dreamcast to quickly realize it has to be one of the most poorly designed racing games ever.

POINT ONE: SHITTY PHYSICS
It's not normal that I can take a ride down four flights of stairs with my car and yet be glued to the road at all times. This game has no vertical component. At all. No airing, no jumping, nothing. You can go down a steep hill in San Francisco at breakneck speed and have your tires never, ever leaving the road.

POINT TWO: MORE SHITTY PHYSICS
What are you supposed to do when the slightest collision makes your car do a full 180 degree spin? Or better yet, what are you supposed to do when you take a turn and your car mysteriously loses all grip and ends up facing the wrong side of the road? Even better: what are you supposed to do when you bump head-on into an obstacle and come to a dead stop with no bouncing back at all?

POINT THREE: THE GOLIATH AI
You know, the type of AI that magically becomes an expert at the game on the last lap and overtakes you before setting a new lap record. Or, the type of AI with herculean strength that will promptly shove you away without a second thought if you're in his racing line. Don't even bother trying to fight back. He WILL push you into the wall, whether you resist or not. After that, see Points One and Two.

POINT FOUR: DOUBLE STANDARD
It's almost the norm in racing games now: the AI can take a corner, scrape the wall the whole way through, and come out at speeds exceeding 150 MPH. Or, as you'll soon notice in MSR, the AI will have next to no wheelspin on startup. Here, go ahead. Try the Opel OPC and race it. You'll find it impossible to drive in the range of between 0 and 20 MPH without any wheelspin. Or if you are really gentle with the gas, it'll take you a fucking long time to reach that hard-lined 20 MPH. Now to find a challenge where you race against an Open OPC. In a downpour. I know there is one somewhere. Watch that AI-operated Opel closely. Waddya see? Yep! Takes off like a fucking bullet! It's even better in some other race where you begin in a rain of biblical proportions AND going up a steep hill. Don't even bother trying to change cars. It doesn't matter. By the time you stop wheelspinning, the AI will have a 10-second lead on you, and I'm only talking about the next-to-last place.

POINT FIVE: I CAN'T SEE SHIT!
Pop the game one fine morning and choose to race in Tokyo. Or if it's the right time of the day, choose London instead. Waddya get? PITCH. FUCKING. BLACK. Especially in London, where even racing daytime is a challenge in itself because you just can't see a single thing. Don't adjust your TV, it doesn't matter. You don't see shit and you never will. Prepare to race blind and stick to second place for the only purpose of following the AI in front of you (since it happens that the AI, of course, has X-Ray and infrared vision, and will show you the way to go until you attempt to zip past him on the last lap... If you can. See Point Three.) You know, make the fences neon red if it'll help it, I don't care how ugly it'll look but fucking show me the edges of the road so that I can know where to fucking turn! The big-ass arrows don't mean shit here. They're only placed to confuse you.

POINT SIX: GET OFF MY FUCKING FACE
As soon as I do a power slide, I see a big fat "WEY-HEY!" in front of my eyes. That's really cute, but that big fat "WEY-HEY!" happens to be directly in my line of vision, which means I have no way to notice the next corner ahead of me. Nice going, dumbfucks. While I'm busy trying to do the track for the 99th time, you shove a bonus word in front of me just so that I can fuck it all up over again. Bravo. Really, it's amazing that you've let the game go out like this. You'd better fire your test crew right away. I'm ready to kill 'em one by one for not noticing this shit.

And this is why MSR is the worst fucking racing game ever. Thank you.

darthsaber9x9
Jun 2, 2005, 07:40 PM
Are you sure you aren't playing with the fishing rod? And I say BAH, you should be able to beat the cpu without any vision at all. That is, if you are 1337 ¬_¬

Neith
Jun 3, 2005, 05:57 PM
Ive never had the 'privilege' of playing MSR, didn't like the look of it when it was released. I went the way of Gran Turismo =D Having said that, GT1's physics weren't great either http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Take a 900+BHP Skyline round a corner at 120mph, hit the wall, do a 90 degree skid, go over the grass, and keep accelerating normally? I think not.

Xero_Silvera
Jun 4, 2005, 01:53 PM
I think thats the main reason I only bother with fast-paced futuristic racing games like f-zero series, Extreme-G series (XG) and kinetica. I mean, if you're gonna have 95% shitty games with horrible physics you might as well have fun at high speeds and unrealistic course values, right?
-xero

Jive18
Jun 4, 2005, 10:55 PM
The details you gave KodiaX reminded me of an episode of X-play on G4TV I saw. They reviwed this hick game where you drove semi's in a race against a hay ride. Magically, the Hay ride would shoot 0-60 in under 2 seconds. They showed other parts of the game where you could magically drive straight through houses and bridges, and drive out into the middle of a never-ending lake and sit in all of it's pixel-bliss.

It was hilarious. I don't even think the game got a rating at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Outrider
Jun 5, 2005, 12:10 AM
On 2005-06-04 20:55, Jive18 wrote:
The details you gave KodiaX reminded me of an episode of X-play on G4TV I saw. They reviwed this hick game where you drove semi's in a race against a hay ride. Magically, the Hay ride would shoot 0-60 in under 2 seconds. They showed other parts of the game where you could magically drive straight through houses and bridges, and drive out into the middle of a never-ending lake and sit in all of it's pixel-bliss.

It was hilarious. I don't even think the game got a rating at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Are you sure you're not talking about Big Rigs?

Gamespot listed it as their worst game of 2004. I think the best parts about the game are that the opposing truck never actually moves from the starting line, and that if you just back up in a circle, you'll just continue accelerating infinitely.

It's so bad, I think I want to buy it.

Getintothegame
Jun 5, 2005, 01:27 AM
On 2005-06-04 22:10, Outrider wrote:

Gamespot listed it as their worst game of 2004. I think the best parts about the game are that the opposing truck never actually moves from the starting line, and that if you just back up in a circle, you'll just continue accelerating infinitely.

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker?

Jive18
Jun 5, 2005, 01:52 AM
On 2005-06-04 22:10, Outrider wrote:

Yeah lol, that's the name. I couldn't think of what it was called at the time of my post. Thanks Outrider http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Bigs Rigs is the shizzle! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fyrin
Jun 5, 2005, 07:23 PM
Racing games in general are badly done imo. I think the only game that I believed not to be that bad of a racing game for dreamcast was Sega GT.

Blitzkommando
Jun 5, 2005, 07:47 PM
Ah, reminds me of one of the download cars for Midtown Madness 2. Godkiller, a semi-truck, that would accelerate from 0 to 999MPH (max speed in game XD ) in about 2 seconds flat. That was fun watching the already horrible physics disappear and be able to "fly" the truck....

Solstis
Jun 5, 2005, 08:50 PM
Er... the handbrake works pretty well on Gotham (for me, at least).

KodiaX987
Jun 5, 2005, 10:52 PM
On 2005-06-05 18:50, Solstis wrote:

Read the topic title.

Solstis
Jun 5, 2005, 11:12 PM
On 2005-06-05 20:52, KodiaX987 wrote:

On 2005-06-05 18:50, Solstis wrote:

Read the topic title.

Excuse me, then.

If I recall, PC Gamer reviewed a swamp buggy game that received the lowest score they had even given. I think that it still holds that title.

*Googles*

Yeah, here.

http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/review_2000-08-10bc.html

"If you stripped yourself naked, smeared your body with honey, duct-taped raw steaks to your ass, and jumped into a cage filled with rabid grizzly bears, I can almost guarantee you'd be having more fun than if you were playing Swamp Buggy Racing. I'm serious."