PDA

View Full Version : A good idea for PSO2

EvilEd
Feb 22, 2001, 05:00 PM
Section IDs are under utilized in PSO so I wanted to add some design suggestions besides what section IDs can do already, (weapons and mag evolutions). I want PSO2 to be big, send the DC off with a bang. So here are my suggestions:

Every Section ID should be tied to a specific level unique to that Id. For example: Greennill would be Forest level, Whitill could be a snow level, Redria could be volcano level, etc. Every game created online would be an entirely different experience. So, if you create a game with 1 Greennill, 2 Redrias, and a Oran character the levels for the game would go: Forest 2 levels, Volcano 4 levels, and a level specific to Oran, (dessert level?) 2 levels. Each would have its own unique end boss. The possibilities would be endless.

This would not only encourange online players to find different section IDs to play with but would make the game non-repetitve. This would also make fighting monsters more intersesting. For example, If Volcano level is first level, then the monsters would be different than if the Volcano level is the third level in the game. (Note: I'm keeping the 4-area game concept from the original).

What if your create a game with 2 players? Well then the game would be short, but if a new player enters a game then a new level will be added as you progress.

Another question would be. What about the final boss? Well that could be different too. Not tied in with section IDs but random. Let's say 3 different end bosses that is randomly selected at the end of the 4th level.

This type of design could have massive possibilities. The only problem would be storage size. How many levels can fit on a GD-ROM? Would it be a pain to disk-swap? How will offline mode be?

What do you think? The more engaging a game like PSO2 can be, the better.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: EvilEd on 2001-02-22 14:02 ]</font>

Utherpendrgn
Feb 22, 2001, 05:14 PM
That's a good idea in theory, but actually pulling it off would probably be a little too complicated, even for the one player offline side. When online gets added into the mix, things would get even more complicated for the programmers, and the thought of making 10 different levels with the same scope and with as good an end boss as in PSO1, as well as three completely different final bosses would probably drive the programmers to hurl themselves off some nearby cliffs, and we wouldn't want that to happen. Plus, something of that scope would also take forever to program and implement, and the game would probaly become too costly and never come out. Sorry to burst your bubble there, but some things just cannot be done.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Jherek217 on 2001-02-22 14:16 ]</font>

EvilEd
Feb 22, 2001, 05:20 PM
I can dream can I?

But if it was too much of a hassle, you could just scale it down to just end bosses. Have each section ID have there own end boss.

Being a software engineer myself, it's not impossible. It can be done. Although dev time could be an issue, the engine is already there, it's just a matter of adding more levels. Which, I believe, they are doing anyway. You can keep the original 4 levels - Forest, Caves, Mines and Ruins. Just add 6 more. That's not too much to ask.

I just don't want to see the same levels over and over again - things need to be mixed up a little.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: EvilEd on 2001-02-22 14:30 ]</font>

ragnarok
Feb 22, 2001, 08:36 PM
Dream, it might happen.