PDA

View Full Version : Ship Disappearances

AxelgearVII
Jun 7, 2005, 04:16 PM
As I type this 3 of the US ships seem to be disappearing. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why? Could it be because of the recent wedding lobbies being put in??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/AxelgearVII/AltairDisappearing.png When I took this, Altair only had these 3 blocks, They're all gone now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/AxelgearVII/Deneb4missing.pngDeneb 4 is missing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/AxelgearVII/Vega1missing.pngAnd also Vega 1.

Sayara
Jun 7, 2005, 04:19 PM
It is possible ships go down due to too many errors, Like if your computer fizzes out it turns off.

So wouldnt servers?

super-instant
Jun 7, 2005, 04:25 PM
hey tingle would you please tell me where this came from
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/V.jpg

Sayara
Jun 7, 2005, 04:28 PM
My photobucket account.
Why do you ask?

<< Not the place to ask anyway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tingle on 2005-06-07 14:28 ]</font>

super-instant
Jun 7, 2005, 04:31 PM
no i mean what comic/cartoon
name of it is all i want to know

Ryna
Jun 7, 2005, 04:50 PM
On 2005-06-07 14:31, super-instant wrote:
no i mean what comic/cartoon
name of it is all i want to know

You should use PMs to ask those kinds of questions.

Also, ships have been known to disappear before.

AxelgearVII
Jun 7, 2005, 05:39 PM
Antares 8,the busiest US block seems to have disappeared also. I just want to know why? :

Getintothegame
Jun 7, 2005, 05:47 PM
Antares 8, busy?

When did it get busy again?

Skorpius
Jun 7, 2005, 06:19 PM
It happens.

Since it's seemingly random, no one should give it much thought.

Sef
Jun 7, 2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I'd still like to know why.

Skorpius
Jun 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
Indeed. But since no information is being given as to why it's happening, all we're forced to do is sit on our thumbs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-06-07 17:24 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jun 7, 2005, 10:11 PM
Given that these are likely the same servers Sega had when PSODC ver1 was around... I would venture to guess it as one of three things.

Like mentioned above it could be that the servers are undergoing errors and are doing forced shutdowns to preserve the data.

Sega is doing some updates on those specific servers for whatever reason. I think that is the most likely.

Finally, it could be due to some kind of illegal action such as hacking. This is also a good possibility. I recall claims of such events, though none proved it, but it is still quite possible that someone would do it. Afterall, the first computers someone would want to hack would be the most vulnerable then procede on to bigger, more difficult targets.

Feel free to speculate, but seeing as Sega has never said what caused this thing to happen before don't expect them to do so now.

Sef
Jun 8, 2005, 06:57 AM
Perhaps the ship servers are in Area 51, and one of the aliens got to it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Maddux
Jun 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
Just the work of some really bored people, that's all.

http://www.ragol.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7337

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maddux on 2005-06-08 08:33 ]</font>

AxelgearVII
Jun 8, 2005, 10:36 AM
On 2005-06-08 08:32, Maddux wrote:
Just the work of some really bored people, that's all.

http://www.ragol.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7337
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maddux on 2005-06-08 08:33 ]</font>

I didnt think they could actually do that...guess I was wrong. Do you guys think that this is something to seriously worry about?

Maddux
Jun 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
Definitely a cause for concern, yes. If they can just go ahead and remove an entire block, then playing in a locked team won't really save you. There's no way to protect yourself against this.

I've seen blocks being removed before by hackers in the past, but not in such a large scale as what has just happened. Never have I seen so many areas shut down at a time.

I just hope that we don't see this get any worse...

Longtime_play
Jun 8, 2005, 11:21 AM
wow i never seen anything like that link to that forum before.

people do this just to pi$$ people off and reck the game, i just dont see the point, except for the sense of power, but what must your mind be like if you enjoy FSODing people and recking their characters by corruption, its insane.

I can see why people would dupe but this is stupid

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Longtime_play on 2005-06-08 09:22 ]</font>

zimmk2vgc
Jun 8, 2005, 11:51 AM
It does seem strange how its the popular blocks like vega 1, antares 8, deneb 4 etc have all gone down. I reckon it must be hacking.

Blitzkommando
Jun 8, 2005, 02:22 PM
Huh, guess my third guess is probably right on the money. It always was rather interresting how the blocks that disappeared before were always the popular ones, no?

Luis
Jun 8, 2005, 07:29 PM
The only thing in my mind right now is, call sonic team and demand the 8.95$ of this month back, saying that you cant enter the game, if a large group demands their money back because lack of security, yep they are going to do something about it because they will prefer to upgrade the security instead giving the money back.

Or we can take justice by our own but, thats turn us hackers too.

Blitzkommando
Jun 8, 2005, 07:56 PM
On 2005-06-08 17:29, Luis wrote:
The only thing in my mind right now is, call sonic team and demand the 8.95$ of this month back, saying that you cant enter the game, if a large group demands their money back because lack of security, yep they are going to do something about it because they will prefer to upgrade the security instead giving the money back.

Or we can take justice by our own but, thats turn us hackers too.

"Large" group of US/EU players? ST is going to listen to the largest group, the Japanese. Seeing as how they really have little to no reason to complain right now, and seeing as how even the majority, whom are the PSOJP, are so low today, it is unlikely anything would happen. ST did do credits before yes, but, that was when there were still over 500 US/EU HL about. Seeing a handfull demanding it won't happen.

Luis
Jun 8, 2005, 08:32 PM
On 2005-06-08 17:56, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:

"Large" group of US/EU players? ST is going to listen to the largest group.

100 US players + 100 EU players, demanding their money back of this month because the lack of security means

200 x 8.95 Us Dollars = 1790.00 Us Dollars, would you listen to 1790.00 Us Dollars?

its all about money.

Sayara
Jun 8, 2005, 08:44 PM
Sega won't kiss ass for 1800 dollars.

When they use to rake in MUCH MORE then that before GC got empty.

Luis
Jun 8, 2005, 09:09 PM
On 2005-06-08 18:44, Tingle wrote:
Sega won't kiss ass for 1800 dollars.

Of course they will, or they prefer to let pso america with only +Blunt, and fingas? i mean

1800$ is way over 17.90$, of course they will prefer to stay with the large group of costumers, even now is a small society, 100 phone calls in a day its a lot for any business, 1800$ per month is not a lot for a company like sega, but is much more than 2 suckers paying it.

And since its a few group of people that is messing it, who cares about banning they and maybe 1 phone call to sega, not much a pain in the ass for they.

If they are kicking our asses with the hacking and stuff its because of us that we let them do it, we are a much large group, and sega didnt and wont do nothing because we didnt demand it hard enough.

In america costumer service is a priority, we should use that for something.

AzureBlaze
Jun 8, 2005, 10:46 PM
I was there while one of the blocks was going down.
I got terrible lag, and then had to r/c, when I did, the block was unavailable. I never got into my tourney, with a new aquaintence met that night.

It is not random server malfunctions. They're only hitting the populated blocks. Anywhere with over 15 people is not safe, from what I witnessed last night.

And for anyone who says "They only listen to the JPS" you may be right, and they WILL be listenin' to some JPs damm soon. If you took a trip around the ships you could watch the most populated areas on the JP ships fall as well.

Someone is out to make this game stop existing, and unless they're stopped, it might succeed. This place is barely lucrative for ST as it is. (what do they expect really, ignoring it like they have been, but that is another topic...) Does ST have the willpower to bring them all back this one more time? Let's hope so.

PSU can't come soon enough...

Aranince
Jun 8, 2005, 11:10 PM
This honestly wants to make me cry. I managed to get online for the first time last week, (foolishly) walked into Altair 8, and got FSOD'ed. And while I had done my homework, and deposited anything un-equipped before even getting my HL, a couple of (as far as I can tell) legit friends of mine got their EXP reset, and ended up turning to duping/hacking to regain their EXP.Now I only play with a few select people, mainly the person who taught me the ins-and-outs of Online PSO (Stay away from crowded lobbies/etc.) and his/her friends. And now this, it truly is a cryin' shame that something with such potentiol to be absolutely great could be ruined by a couple of fat kids who live in their parents basement.

Flamberge
Jun 9, 2005, 01:42 AM
Alright, we've established the cause of the missing blocks. Now remembering that every block is actually the same, we should assume that all ST has to do is copy the script from one block and make another. That doesn't sound too difficult.

But even so, now that we know the cause of the problem we need to be coming up with solutions for it. Lets take a look at our more obvious options.

1. (probably everyone favorite idea) Revenge: Become hackers and try and take out these guys. - Most likely this will not work. Unless anyone is good enough to take out a block themselves I wouldn't suggest trying to take on someone that can.

2. Complain to ST: While they will listen to the problems and try to fix it, we don't know if they can up their security to cut out these people, or if they have already tried this. I remember that when in DC if someone was hacking, they would get there account banned. So obviously what should be suggested is that the ST should check their transcripts for the missing rooms and find out who typed in what. Doing so they can pinpoint exactly who is doing this (innocent until proven guilty).

3. Avoid the problem: Ignore it and it will go away. Well, that might or might not work. But to be on the safe side, I would say not to enter over inflated blocks. Remember there are (suppose to be) 10 blocks to every ship. So if distributed evenly then the count for each one should be ok.

While these are not the only options they seem to be the most obvious open to us right now. Being military the best advice I can give on this is, keep in contact. If you know that someone is doing this, tell the people in the room and get out. Remember you can quit game faster than you can switch blocks. Just because their cutting down the blocks doesn't mean they wont corrupt you just because they can. No like any other terrorist act all they want is fear so by avoiding them, yes you will be playing into their hands but they wont bother you if you don't piss them off. If you want to go after them, I say go for it. Get together with a few other pso sites and put together a task force to take them out. Watch who you have in your TF though, you don't want one of them to be there.

Also remember that, as we've experienced by word of text here in this topic, if a block goes down. You'll experience monster lag and then disconnect. When you DC the game saves so you wont suffer the effects of a FSOD. Just wait it out for the system to DC, if you turn your sys off then you will FSOD yourself and lose all your crap.

PS. Hi everyone.

Getintothegame
Jun 9, 2005, 03:03 AM
Welcome to PSO World, Flamberge.

I don't know what to think of this. How are their clients doing this?

Daikarin
Jun 9, 2005, 04:18 AM
Oh, you guys covered this already. Man, this sounds like a cyber apocalipse.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-06-09 02:20 ]</font>

AxelgearVII
Jun 9, 2005, 10:05 AM
On 2005-06-08 23:42, Flamberge wrote:
Get together with a few other pso sites and put together a task force to take them out

o_O When people try to play "hero" it never works. Not trying to be a pessimist but I reccomend that everyone stay on the defensive by going to the most secluded ship/block you and your friends find. It seems like every time something major in my life happens(be it PSO or irl, in this case going level 200), something else on a huge scale that has nothing to do with what I did, happens. Im just glad me and Luna finished serious play before this assault took place. I feel bad for those who havent. Especially for a certain 2 people at level 195 whose home ship/block got taken out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AxelgearVIII on 2005-06-09 08:06 ]</font>

watashiwa
Jun 9, 2005, 10:19 AM
On 2005-06-09 01:03, Getintothegame wrote:

It's not their clients doing this. There's a PSO Proxy program that runs on your PC and you configure your Gamecube to connect to PSO through the proxy that runs on your PC.

The proxy has capabilities such as firewalling you from bad packets, the ability to create packets, and other things of that nature.

What the people do is spend all day looking for combination of packets to cause problems for people. There's packets for things like NOLsod (which is a crash that cannot be anti'd via AR and causes everyone's clients in the lobby to display a black screen and freeze), false quest load (which can initiate a quest load event for everyone in the lobby and FSOD/BSOD them), resetting player experience (another version of the quest load but at the end of the load, your level is set to 1 and you are disconnected... you can avoid getting reset if you turn off your Gamecube instead of hitting START after being disconnected), player killing, various forms of FSOD, block destruction, and alot more.

Not too many people have the proxy and even less have the packets which cause these things. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 people on all of PSO have the really nasty packets. There's even one guy who has a packet which will ban your client from the server.

Doesn't stop me from having fun in open games, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-06-09 08:20 ]</font>

zimmk2vgc
Jun 9, 2005, 10:22 AM
On 2005-06-09 08:19, watashiwa wrote:

On 2005-06-09 01:03, Getintothegame wrote:

It's not their clients doing this. There's a PSO Proxy program that runs on your PC and you configure your Gamecube to connect to PSO through the proxy that runs on your PC.

The proxy has capabilities such as firewalling you from bad packets, the ability to create packets, and other things of that nature.

What the people do is spend all day looking for combination of packets to cause problems for people. There's packets for things like NOLsod (which is a crash that cannot be anti'd via AR and causes everyone's clients in the lobby to display a black screen and freeze), false quest load (which can initiate a quest load event for everyone in the lobby and FSOD/BSOD them), resetting player experience (another version of the quest load but at the end of the load, your level is set to 1 and you are disconnected... you can avoid getting reset if you turn off your Gamecube instead of hitting START after being disconnected), player killing, various forms of FSOD, block destruction, and alot more.

Not too many people have the proxy and even less have the packets which cause these things. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 people on all of PSO have the really nasty packets. There's even one guy who has a packet which will ban your client from the server.

Doesn't stop me from having fun in open games, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-06-09 08:20 ]</font>

I have to say this is the most optimistic note I have ever read, especially since I was thinking of going on epi3 sometime http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Blitzkommando
Jun 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
$1800 is as much to Sega as 18 cents is to you. Really, when they can rake in far more money by next Monday that is going to be the final toll of the death knell. Sega's little cash cow has up and bought the farm. And considering that all of the current owners of GC Hunters Licenses would complain is well, impossible. Seeing as how I see the futility in it, I will not. I'm inclined to do the, ignore plan. I did it before, I can do it again. And like Watashiwa said, I have been playing in open games recently, with success. As a matter of fact the last 'cheater' I encountered was a Japanese player with a Guld-Milla. Did it bother me? Nope, not a bit. If anything it was a bit funny. I am still having fun, with or without Deneb 4, Altair or Vega. Or even Mintaka 10. People will gather to other blocks. Time goes on.

Luis
Jun 9, 2005, 03:13 PM
On 2005-06-09 10:26, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
$1800 is as much to Sega as 18 cents is to you.

Ok then let sega stay with +Blunt and fingas as the only users online in america and europe, of course is more than obvious that 1800$ for sega is the same as 17.90$, of course what dumb i am yeah everyone will choose the 17.90$ instead the 1800$, thats right what i was thinking?

Please post something better next time.

Saiffy
Jun 9, 2005, 03:59 PM
On 2005-06-09 13:13, Luis wrote:

On 2005-06-09 10:26, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
$1800 is as much to Sega as 18 cents is to you.

Ok then let sega stay with +Blunt and fingas as the only users online in america and europe, of course is more than obvious that 1800$ for sega is the same as 17.90$, of course what dumb i am yeah everyone will choose the 17.90$ instead the 1800$, thats right what i was thinking?

Please post something better next time.

Use logic please, ST isn't going to fix up these servers for $1800, it'd be just stupid.

Luis
Jun 9, 2005, 05:24 PM
Use logic please, ST isn't going to fix up these servers for $1800, it'd be just stupid.

i am using it

AxelgearVII
Jun 9, 2005, 07:29 PM
Vega
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/vegapwnt.png
Deneb
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/denebpwnt.png
Antares
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/antares.png

More blocks gone today. At this rate, if ST doesnt do anything the US server will be devoid of ships to go on by this time next week. Unless we're all overeacting and this ISNT the work of hackers (which I doubt at this point) Sega had better do something soon.

Luis
Jun 9, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thats what i am trying to say but i mean, it is too hard to see it??

They are CHARGING FOR A SERVICE and if all the ships or blocks are gone, they are going to still charging for it, but in that case you are paying and getting nothing, and thats enough for getting sega in a problem.

For the people who thinks 1800$ is not money for sega, let me get clear on this

On a company that lost their console market and some other markets, every penny worth now and if they think about just getting the big price without trying to get some spots and adding with another spots, and having one of this and on from another, thats how thinks works.

But if they refuse everything because they want the Big Fish, they are going to end worse than they are right now.

Thats basic business strategy. by
Michel Robert / Bernard Racine

Read it.

Sef
Jun 10, 2005, 10:37 AM
It seems like things have been fixed.

Skorpius
Jun 10, 2005, 10:46 AM
Wasn't there a server update for the lobby decorations at about the same time as these ship disappearences? ;/

Flamberge
Jun 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
Really? Fixed already?

As for the service charge thing, thats a horrible idea. All your doing is attacking ST over something someone else is doing. Instead you need to be letting them know whats going on so that they can fix it. If you sit there and say. "Well I want this months money back" then its going to discourage them from doing anything. Use common sence Luis, you don't attack the people that you want to help you.

As for the 1800 bucks. Your talking about a company that makes over 1000000 a month, not just on pso but other games as well. 1800 isn't even a splash in their pool.

trypticon
Jun 10, 2005, 11:03 AM
ST sent me an email telling me they had refunded my HL fee for this month. Of course, they also told me they had double charged me, so the refund was nice of them.

Sef
Jun 10, 2005, 11:05 AM
On 2005-06-10 08:46, Skorpius wrote:
Wasn't there a server update for the lobby decorations at about the same time as these ship disappearences? ;/

>_>

Yep. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

AxelgearVII
Jun 10, 2005, 12:14 PM

Thats the first question I asked before we moved on to the conspiracy theory of hackers attempting to destroy PSO.

Luis
Jun 10, 2005, 12:41 PM
As for the 1800 bucks. Your talking about a company that makes over 1000000 a month, not just on pso but other games as well. 1800 isn't even a splash in their pool.

For the company i work for after all the taxes payments, labor hours, and rent, they made more than 5.000.000$ dollars per year.

And if one costumers complain about our service, even if they paid the minimal of 600$ we HAVE to fix it, and we pay attention to the costumer, 600$ isnt even a splash in our pool but we need to guarranted to that costumer our commitment and work is the one that he is paying for it.

when you start working you are going to understand,and if you are working right now, i dont belive what you are saying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luis on 2005-06-10 10:43 ]</font>

Skorpius
Jun 10, 2005, 12:50 PM
On 2005-06-10 10:14, AxelgearVIII wrote:

Thats the first question I asked before we moved on to the conspiracy theory of hackers attempting to destroy PSO.

:D ~ !!!
Well, there we have it. Someone didn't flip all the switches correctly.

watashiwa
Jun 10, 2005, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm sure if it was a misflipped switch, then the blocks which were not updated correctly would have all disappeared not the same time.

But, when you signed on, you'd have noticed more and more blocks had been disappearing gradually. I doubt an update would cause a block to gradually get worse and worse then disappear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-06-10 14:07 ]</font>