PDA

View Full Version : Attn: MODERATORS... Can you put all the Sticky Topics into o

Agent_Reav
Aug 3, 2002, 01:02 PM
Seems like a waste of space...

rbf2000
Aug 3, 2002, 01:18 PM
I don't think you can combine topics, but after a while, we will unsticky some of them (when the new rules are no longer new, for example).

It's only 5 topics, deal with it.

Defend
Aug 3, 2002, 01:45 PM
I agree... they're junk that's always in the way. Put a link to the rules somewhere else on the screen, or something..

neko-chan
Aug 3, 2002, 01:50 PM
Ehr.. can you, at least, join the 2 sig threads into 1? I don't see the point of having 2 of them.

pixelate
Aug 3, 2002, 02:51 PM
Seeing as how many people constantly break forum rules and break signature limits, they should be where they are, and maybe people will actually read them.

ABDUR101
Aug 3, 2002, 04:52 PM
I have to agree with pixel, there are numerous repeat offenders when it comes to sig requirements, even though they are told constantly and know what the sig rules are.

It's only 5 topics, it's not that big of a problem. And not everyone can be pleased, there are new members all the time and there are people who will need to know where the rules are. If you move them somewhere else, someone will pull the card "I did'nt know the rules because they weren't out in the open, forum rules should be in plain view, blah blah".

Ian D
Aug 3, 2002, 05:42 PM
Ya people are just lazy, you only have to scroll down an extra 5 threads to get to the juicy stuff.

LollipopLolita
Aug 3, 2002, 06:14 PM
i'm afraid pixel is right

if people would stop breaking rules then we will unsticky them.

neko-chan
Aug 3, 2002, 07:29 PM
It's your site and I think you're running it in a great way.

But little rule about Internet reading is to put fresh meat on top. On top it catches readers' attention better. When I log on on PSOW I wanna see fresh topics first, not always forum rules. That's why I don't like this way.

Watching the General forum on a 1024x768 screen res we have (in order):
- PSOW header
- gamespy banner
- navigation bar
- mods list
- table header
- 5 sticky topics.

Real discussions are on the bottom of the page (actually I can see four of them, I'm browsing using Mozilla).

One of the sticky topics can be wiped (Sticky: Item discussion has been added to Mag, Quest, and Section ID Forum).

The 2 sig threads can be joined (why not? Just edit Icy post, you lazy bish!). I know repeating is good (readers are usually such lazy morons), but the forum rules are also posted on the Forums Index... so... a little redundant.
Also, perhaps you can replace the "Sticky" with a little icon. I'm sure it will be less confusing.

Just my little advices. Pls, take them as a user suggestion. I'm not flaming, I don't want to create problems, I didn't do that, nobody saw me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beatneko on 2002-08-03 17:31 ]</font>

pixelate
Aug 4, 2002, 01:56 AM
PSOW has a little feature to let you know what topics are fresh.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/red_folder.gif = New Posts since your last visit.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/folder.gif = No New Posts since your last visit.

neko-chan
Aug 4, 2002, 04:40 AM
Thanks for your smart reply pixelate.

Too bad the problem remains, since fresh stories are pushed on the bottom of the page.

ABDUR101
Aug 4, 2002, 05:02 AM
I'm not sure how new stories can be pushed to the bottom. I mean, they're going to get there sooner or later, right? Four or five thread slots being used for rules, regulations, etc aren't a big deal.

Give it some time and things will be optimized alittle if possible. Otherwise, whats the big deal? I scroll the whole way down and read 99% of the threads posted, it's alot of reading to do, but you're gonna read most of it anyways, right?

Saladwood
Aug 4, 2002, 01:38 PM
I really don't see how it is that difficult to, oh no, scroll down and realize that the newest reply will be under the stickied topics, unless someone has replied in a sticky topic.