PDA

View Full Version : The music industry

InfinityXXX
Jun 8, 2005, 11:48 PM
I hate the music world now. It seems most people in the music industry are on crack because for some damn reason they are like glorifying some of the worst musicians/singers. They overplay their songs and they act like their the biggest thing when they have absolutely NO TALENT.

To me, ever since Whitney Houston did the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack, music has fallen badly. Though some of these songs that are out do make me dance, their still song by untalented people. I mean these people can't sing nor dance YET they get payed triple times more than someone like a doctor.

Mainly in Rap and R&B there our a whole slew of nontalented singers. There are only some that show talent, examples, The Game, Kanye West, Keesha Cole, ALicia Keys, John Legend, Common. And for the truely talented like India Arie, Erykah Badhu, Wyclef, and Nas they barely get any airplay on the radio. Especially India Arie, if you don't know her, google her, and look at some of the words to her songs, YOU WILL BE AMAZED yet India Arie didn't even win a grammy for any of her new songs. To be honest of all the people I listed so far only Alicia Keys won a grammy, Kanye West was nominated but was cheated out.(I have a feeling that in time he may just become as big as Tupac. His song Jesus Walks is beautiful and his newest song, "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" which got its name from the Europeans that are chopping lil african kids arms off just to get diamonds)

But when I turn on my Radio, almost ALWAYS I end up hearing the nontalnted people such as 50 Cent, Brooke Valentine, Destiny's Child, Ciara, T.I etc. And the music industry glorify these nontalented bitches who have no talent all. Just wait till they perform live and listen to how crappy they sound.

One nontalented music artist that pisses me off is 50 cent. This guy has no musical talent whatso ever. Every thing he raps about is either about clubbing, sex, or how cool he is. Another thing that gets on my nerves is how he raps about the streets, which this was ok for his first album but on the 2nd album...The bitch is rich now, he probably haven't even set foot on his ghettos. Just for fun, look at some of his lyrics, you'll see that he can't rhyme, rap and he makes no sense. Yet hes rich.(only because of the music in his songs sounds nice)The same goes for all these other non talented people.

Has the music industry stooped down to just this. That you can be famous if you have nice beats in your song? That true talent, creativity, and musicians are overlooked to people like 50 cent, ashanti and ciara.

*sigh*, what the music world has become..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-06-08 22:16 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Jun 9, 2005, 12:24 AM
For lack of a better word, WORD. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, this doesn't really bother me a great deal since I never listen to the radio, but still. It's really annoying to hear people be like, "50 CENT IS DA SHIT!!!" No, he's not da shit. He's just some dork who got shot nine times and wrote a bunch of poorly-rhymed raps about how awesome he is. Come on, even I could do that. All we'd need is for someone to shoot me nine times and we'd be good to go.

ai_no_usagi
Jun 9, 2005, 12:32 AM
what I really hate is rap that just sings about bitches and hoes and sellin crack down in da ghettos...yo. that's all they ever play! I don't wanna hear about pimp daddy G snortin coke off his hookers' asses. and of course, the people who buy those make me kinda mad too. the suburban white kids who buy nike shoes and oversized basketball jersies *sp?* with their rich parents' money. but, that's for another rant.
if you want good rap, listen to Del Tha Funkee Homosapian.
of course there's worse things out there than just rap. just think of Britney Spears or N*Sync. they suck too.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 9, 2005, 12:34 AM
Haha, yeah. I swear, more white kids listen to rap than black kids.

Solstis
Jun 9, 2005, 12:43 AM
On 2005-06-08 22:34, CupOfCoffee wrote:
Haha, yeah. I swear, more white kids listen to rap than black kids.

Guess what?

There's more white kids than black kidsin the United States. Sorry to inform you, but black kids and "ghetto folk" do listen to rap music. Not all, but many suburban blacks tend to shy away from stereotypes, thus leading people to make assumptions. I could go on, but I'm close to passing out.

We'll say that it's crap now, but 40 years from now, they'll be classics. Think everyone liked the Beach Boys when they used to play them on the radio, almost 24/7?

I doubt it.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 9, 2005, 12:59 AM
Dude, I've always thought the Beach Boys were lame, even now that they're allegedly classic! I mean, think about it: they were friends with Charlie Manson. Talk about creepers.

And back on the race wars topic, I know that black people listen to rap, too. I was just trying to make the point that I hate little poser white kids who think blasting 50 Cent as their parents drive them to the 9th grade mixer makes them gangsta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2005-06-08 23:39 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jun 9, 2005, 02:46 AM
lol... White "gangsta" rich kids are funny... As for your rant... I agree entirely... although I can't say I listen to much rap at all... However... The same situations are true in all other genres as well... Rock, Pop, Contemporary, Alternative... they all do it...

Heheh... My local "alternative" radio station, Q101 if you're familiar, recently started this thing where they play a WIDE variety of music... Tons of stuff that you NEVER would expect to hear on the radio... It was very refreshing! It was great! But... Although they say they aren't going back to their old repetetive selves, I've noticed the change... slowly and gradually they are incorporating more and more of their same old garbage into the "shuffle"... sigh... At least having a wide variety of music tastes allows me to rapidly switch between a larger array of stations...

opaopajr
Jun 9, 2005, 04:03 AM
it's because of the mass ownership of media in a small group of hands.

clear channel, i despise you and your dj-less billboard top 40 shite digital loops.

all media is hurting in this country because of the lack of diversity. small group of people are killing entertainment by homogenizing everything to "make the uber big bucks."

i suggest ignoring it. go listen to who you like (which is a good spectrum, i like. i'd recommend jill scott too, she's great fun) and ignore the "mainstream." it's like junkfood, except it'll make your head fat. just turn it off and turn up the headphones, that's what mostly everyone will be doing in college anyways. *no one* i've seen listens to the radio anymore in college, it's all about the ipod. 'cause mainstream shlop sucks, it's time to ignore it 'til it's gone.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 14, 2005, 08:25 PM
Heh.
"Street cred"
"Rap sucks"
"Rock sucks"

I'd like to make my own rant, but I'll use my own topic for it at another time.

Yes. I said recently how bad the radio is around here, and how people are ridiculous in terms of the music played.

"White tees, Nike's"
"CULO!"
"*anything 50 Cent*"

Repeat until numb.

My lil brother listens to a variety of stuff. He has "underground" stuff like the Hierolgyphics among many others.

I listen to NAS, Kanye, Common, Slum Village etc.
At the same token I also listen to J-pop(or J-Reggae/hip-hop/rap currently, which I didn't know existed) Kylie Minogue, and Rage against the Machine.

Yeah, I might be a weirdo, but not as much as the MTV type who goes with the in thing and buys every new CD under the sun. I don't want to sound shallow, or above anyone, but my music tastes are my own. I'll gladly put on my headphones rather than blast a stereo in a Hummer anyday.

A guy passes in front of me at an intersection, staring at me in his Lincoln Navigator jumping in his seat to some crappy Rap(I consider the stereotypical Cash Money-White tee's rap, crap). Trying to get attention are we?! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Someone on the local radio called in a few years ago and was a mother who complained that her 5 year old kid is hearing "Girl you looks good why don'tcha back that ass up" every hour on the hour. Her kids didn't need to hear that kind of rap/lyrics every day-50 times a day. The DJ said back that it has to be played due to the amount of demand. The majority demands it and they get it.

A family friend has three boys living at home. Her oldest gets caught with bags of weed. Thinking he's from the ghetto and has no other way, he sells it to get money. I have to babysit/walk around with him so he doesn't get into trouble at a minimall. He gets caught with the weed earlier that day, gets yelled at, and smells weed on somebody who passes by us as we walk-and proceeds to say it aloud to me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I should have said something, but he likened me to a friend in the face of the lecturing he got earlier. I get sort of embarassed that some girl announces to the world I'm "Ghetto fabolous" due to my track suit jacket($5 on sale) and baggy pants. But I can wear what I want. Stereotype me all you want. Shallow people.

On goes the radio and he switches immediately to the top 40 rap/hiphop station. When it was on the electronica-dance station he calls it the "stupid Asian kid rave station," I almost want to tell him off. Saying to look in the mirror. Saying I actually like listening to that station much more than the top 40 rap/hip hop.

Alot of artists,using that term loosely, end up rapping about money they don't have, in order to get money.

Once an artist is successful, he/she might be stereotyped as "going pop," okay. Don't you want artists you like to be popular? By having more people enjoy their music they will be more popular. I don't exactly see a lot of people supporting up and coming artists who are "underground."

Ugh.

Sayara
Jun 14, 2005, 09:32 PM
On 2005-06-09 02:03, opaopajr wrote:
it's because of the mass ownership of media in a small group of hands.

clear channel, i despise you and your dj-less billboard top 40 shite digital loops.

all media is hurting in this country because of the lack of diversity. small group of people are killing entertainment by homogenizing everything to "make the uber big bucks."

Plus if they are getting money to host it, then hell they'll do it!
I'd quote my older sig to you but its currently 404s ville.

Ness
Jun 15, 2005, 06:56 AM
It's all because of MTV or more specifically Viacom. They choose which artists to embrace and people force themselves to like it because they want to fit in and be cool.

The music industry really rips us off (why do you think filesharing and itunes are so popular?) because they charges us $20 for a CD with only 2 good songs on it.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2005, 07:14 AM
On 2005-06-15 04:56, Ness wrote:
It's all because of MTV or more specifically Viacom. They choose which artists to embrace and people force themselves to like it because they want to fit in and be cool.

The music industry really rips us off (why do you think filesharing and itunes are so popular?) because they charges us $20 for a CD with only 2 good songs on it.

Eh, well I don't think you should bother buying a cd for $20 if you can only find two songs worth liking on it.

Then again, I'm the kinda guy who's more interested in a good album throughout than a good collection of songs.

And I'd really have to say that Clearchannel might be more responsible for the state of the music industry than MTV. I mean, you're right in that MTV has caused the problem, but I don't think they did it alone.

Ness
Jun 15, 2005, 07:22 AM
What I meant is that if the music industry had their way we would still be buying CD's. It would be the only way to get the songs we like and most CD's nowadays only have one or two good songs. iTunes only came about because of filesharing.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2005, 07:45 AM
On 2005-06-15 05:22, Ness wrote:
What I meant is that if the music industry had their way we would still be buying CD's. It would be the only way to get the songs we like and most CD's nowadays only have one or two good songs. iTunes only came about because of filesharing.

That's true, but I'm also part of the camp that buys an album I like even if I already have a burn of it. I want to support a band that I like, and it also feels much better to actually own the album with it's liner notes and everything instead of just a collection of files on my computer or on a shiny little CD-R.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. Sorry about the tangent.

Ness
Jun 15, 2005, 08:47 AM
On 2005-06-15 05:45, Outrider wrote:

On 2005-06-15 05:22, Ness wrote:

That's true, but I'm also part of the camp that buys an album I like even if I already have a burn of it. I want to support a band that I like, and it also feels much better to actually own the album with it's liner notes and everything instead of just a collection of files on my computer or on a shiny little CD-R.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. Sorry about the tangent.

It's all good, man, it's all good. It's all about evolution. The music industry was doing fine becuase people had no other choice, but then file sharing came along and the music industry started losing cash because they could no longer rip people off. So iTunes was invented to adapt to the changing industry.

I only buy CD's if I can't find the music by other means.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 15, 2005, 09:26 AM
I still buy CDs all the time. Way more now, after I discovered P2P filesharing, than before. I'm 100% into supporting the bands I like.

I still download some music, but mostly it's just B-sides and other stuff you can't find in stores. The vast majority of the music on my computer is (for lack of a better word) legit.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2005, 09:56 AM
On 2005-06-15 07:26, CupOfCoffee wrote:
I still buy CDs all the time. Way more now, after I discovered P2P filesharing, than before. I'm 100% into supporting the bands I like.

I still download some music, but mostly it's just B-sides and other stuff you can't find in stores. The vast majority of the music on my computer is (for lack of a better word) legit.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. Although, I have to admit that sometimes if a friend has an album that I just want to listen to a little bit, I'll just rip it from them or something. But I don't really do the P2P thing. And as I said, if it turns out to be an album I really enjoy, I will certainly entertain the idea of purchasing it.

digigram
Jun 15, 2005, 10:08 AM
Music industry = the media machine, monster of promotion, mind control and repetitive psyche influence.

Who would buy that shit anyway?

Now, for the labels and artists of people you enjoy, even with the advent of p2p and this new mentality of music being a "ripoff".... I guess If I liked certain forms of music enough, as much as hardware electronics, hell, I might as well walk into best buy and fucking grab a 50" projection HD.. now shouldn't I?

I write music, have music released, have played countless shows and even have close to worldwide distribution. The funny thing is, with the amount of people at the time of releases, that had my album/eps online, in mp3, with the rest of their lists of genre based music, I would be able to support making more music for them to listen to. Doing so has not only caused me frustration due to not being able to purchase replacement gear for gear that has broken or could help create more music, it has caused me to not have any time to write music that I care about. I support myself, life, food, transportation, bills, lifestyle (which isn't expensive) and in the end, I have absolutely no time to write music, that ultimately..... no one is willing to support me to make.

I am a composer/musician.. solo.. 2 small labels..

And it really discourages me that people are not even willing to support the more innovative creation base of the music industry. Instead you get the people that are most into your music, sharing everything you have done or sounds like you, renamed with Id3, to anyone that wants it... whats funny about it is, people will have 200 of my songs, that they didn't pay for, emailing me to tell me how they downloaded it somewhere and how much they like it, only to ask...

"when is the next album coming out"

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 15, 2005, 07:23 PM
music jumped the shark when napster was shut down.

Blitzkommando
Jun 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
Music became crap when Joe Schmoe thought he could rap. See, even I can rhyme... No but really, that is the way I think of it. Random person A really likes music and decides to sing, even though random person A cannot sing worth crap. Random person A then makes it because people think the music is what is "in" because it is new. Rinse, Repeat, Reuse.

Dangerous55
Jun 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
You know what the problem is now? It all sounds EXACTLY THE SAME! Rap, from what I heard is all the same. I don't like it. Emo/Punk whatever it is now sucks, and sounds exactly the same. Anyone else like songs where you can understand the lyrics? Now these days the songs are so loud and fast the melody and general quality sucks. Lyrics are horrible too.

Some of the stuff made today is good, of course. Not alot, but some.

Classic Rock>Everything

opaopajr
Jun 19, 2005, 08:12 AM
labels used to nurture upcoming artists and polish them. now we get glitz and glamour and an entourage of thousands polishing a turd... or better yet empty space. substance seems to have left the industry's most public and mass produced face leaving only blockbuster disneyfication pre-teen angsty shite.

and the most obnoxious part about it is it's being force-fed to us in every direction we turn. it's like they think we are mindless drones who can be molded to purchase "the next big thing!" (tm) on command. and the most sickening part is those who freely do so buy into the pre-fabricated categories of self-expression. it's aggrivating trying to find a radio station with a diverse playlist nowadays; it's even more frustrating going to a shopping mall and be surrounded by so many pop culture zombies sporting "the proper gear" with posters and sounds and products screaming at you from every angle about "the next big thing!" (tm).

i'm just waiting for the horror of mass produced, cookie cutter nightclubs -- which might already exist, but i'm not paying attention. ruby skye might be one... if i remember correctly they have locations in sf, nyc, tokyo, etc... cheesy dreck anyways.

HUcastShinobi
Jun 19, 2005, 05:19 PM
Rap is horrid music all around, considering it's just bad wav. files put in the backround, some disk ripping, and some guy just trying to make himself sound good, probably by tampering with his voice recordings... It's pathetic.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 19, 2005, 10:42 PM
On 2005-06-19 15:19, HUcastShinobi wrote:
Rap is horrid music all around, considering it's just bad wav. files put in the backround, some disk ripping, and some guy just trying to make himself sound good, probably by tampering with his voice recordings... It's pathetic.

You're pathetic.
Way to bash something you know nothing about.

I know you're thinking of the current rap. Probably "cash money OMFG we have more money than you because you buy our CD's lolz" stereotype rap.

But there are many different kinds of rap, even Country rap.

You don't have to like it, but nobody cares why you don't like it-if you don't. So keep it to yourself okay. You're not going to win anybody over with sentiments like that.

Before you go on a tangent on me, I listen to a variety of music. Rap, Rock, J-pop, Techno, as general terms for these types of music.

Pick your words more carefully next time. That was offensive.

InfinityXXX
Jun 19, 2005, 11:12 PM
Heh, Hayabusa took the words straight from my mouth