PDA

View Full Version : Shots vs. Needles: What makes what superior over the other?

MT7218
Jun 10, 2005, 07:59 PM
I've been wondering for a while, what is it that makes a SN superior over a Shot? And vice versa, what makes Shots superior to Needles? From what I see it, it's more of a personal preference. Shots have "move variety", superior ATP, and superior range, but their firing animation is slow as hell, even WITH a God/Battle, it's still rather slow. Needles, while lacking range and ATP, have superior firing speed, which makes juggling enemies in mid to close range easy. Sure, there are partisan series for up close juggling, but they don't have the range, and the arc/radius of them are a lot tighter than the needles... (I think. I'm basing this somewhat losely on PSOWs guides, and my experience with the needles. I may be wrong about that, who knows.)

Like I said before, it seems like personal preference, speed vs. power and range...

Blitzkommando
Jun 10, 2005, 08:50 PM
Agh... Pandora's Box is opened yet again! This is one of those topics that has always resulted in heated arguments, just a warning.

I use both Shot series and Spread Needle. I don't have a S-Rank needle thus I cannot say that I use it. I really like the special on Spread Needle, outside of Mines of course. Paralysis is a great effect for helping the team. I also use my S-Rank shot occasionally for the Zalure special I gave it. Charge Shot series are also very good with hit. Like I said, I switch out depending on the situation. If I can afford to be slower then I use a shot. If I need the speed because of faster enemies or larger groups, I switch to the Needle. Both are good in their own right.

PJ
Jun 10, 2005, 09:10 PM
I'm an extreme Spread Needle hater, but that's probably because everyone was like, "OMGWTFBBQ Spread Needle!" Then I got one and was not impressed.

Now, a lot of people say I'm stupid for that (Having my own opinion? Yeah, same with RAmarls too >_>), but really. It's not just because of it's stupidly low ATP either.

Shots have ATP and Range and a wider variety of specials (Minus SRank, where SRank just has ATP and range, which I still prefer). Needles have speed.

Frankly, the range is just too pathetic for my tastes. And the (Normal Spread Needle) variable ATP of an already really low ATP weapon throws it off.

When I was taking my RAmarl through Ult Caves, I picked up a basic Arms and a basic Gugnir. None amazing percents. Both easily outperformed my spread needle in damage, and the Gugnir was around the same speed. And they pushed the enemies back better, making it even easier to dodge attacks.

I'm gonna be flamed left right and center for this :l

Skorpius
Jun 10, 2005, 09:16 PM
Range comparable to a Partisan, speed of a Rifle.

Power doesn't matter. You'll eventually kill things anyway. It's basic fact, Needles are superior, and there is no shame in using an inferior weapon due to aesthetics and personal preference.

I use Grass Assassin Sabers and Plantain Huge Fan on my FOmarl over anything better because I like how the look.

Solstis
Jun 10, 2005, 10:59 PM
When using andriods, my biggest concern is not getting hit.

So, the Spread Needle is a fun way to keep my mates in good supply. That, and I think that it looks cool.

Hrith
Jun 11, 2005, 03:43 AM
I do not recall heated arguments over that topic =/

Needle is superior, Skorpius is right. Needle (Spread or S-Rank) is the best crowd control weapon in the game, for that reason, it can be but an excellent weapon.

But it's especially good when soloing, because all monsters run towards you, and the range is not an issue.

In multiplayer mode, many monsters will go towards the other players in your team, and your short range will prevent you from hitting them at all.

In multiplayer mode, I usually use Slicers (yeah, even with rangers), Shots or Launchers. I think they usually do a better job in areas/quests with big rooms; you can hit more spread out targets, thus be more efficient.

The ATP comment by PJ is justified.
Spread Needle has the ATP of a Crush Bullet, yes, the first rare Shot. So imagine what a Final Impact does, let alone the S-Rank Shot.
So if your ranger is below Lv 150, you'd be hindering the team more than anything with a weapon like Spread Needle, and would be more useful with S-Rank Shot, etc.

As a sidenote, here is the ATP of the S-Rank weapons in the classes concerned (because I consider the S-Ranks the best for each of those classes), from weakest to strongest:
S-Rank Needle 150 ATP, Ep2
S-Rank Shot 260 ATP, Ep1
S-Rank Slicer 290 ATP, Ep1
S-Rank J-Cutter (slicer) 325 ATP, Ep2
S-Rank Launcher 370 ATP, Ep2

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-06-11 01:45 ]</font>

rena-ko
Jun 11, 2005, 06:26 AM
shots look ultracute on a racl. imho.

besides that. each kind has its ups and downs, as stated above.

Neith
Jun 11, 2005, 08:03 AM
Slightly off-topic, but considering the nature of my question, it's probably ok to post here.

When C-Mode (Ep2) is released on US/EU BB, I was thinking of doing it to try for an S-Rank Needle, seeing as I've seen loads of Rangers use one. My RA is a RAmarl, I was thinking of going with the Spirit Special. (I know this is kinda the opposite of Tingle's topic a while ago). Since I always carry a good supply of fluids, would Spirit be a worthwhile Special attack?

I was initially going to go with Berserk, but i'm not too fond of the idea of cutting down my HP.

Can any RA veterans let me know if Spirit is a decent choice? Cheers.

EuLoGy
Jun 11, 2005, 08:04 AM
On 2005-06-10 19:10, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
I'm an extreme Spread Needle hater, but that's probably because everyone was like, "OMGWTFBBQ Spread Needle!" Then I got one and was not impressed.

Now, a lot of people say I'm stupid for that (Having my own opinion? Yeah, same with RAmarls too >_>), but really. It's not just because of it's stupidly low ATP either.

Shots have ATP and Range and a wider variety of specials (Minus SRank, where SRank just has ATP and range, which I still prefer). Needles have speed.

Frankly, the range is just too pathetic for my tastes. And the (Normal Spread Needle) variable ATP of an already really low ATP weapon throws it off.

When I was taking my RAmarl through Ult Caves, I picked up a basic Arms and a basic Gugnir. None amazing percents. Both easily outperformed my spread needle in damage, and the Gugnir was around the same speed. And they pushed the enemies back better, making it even easier to dodge attacks.

I'm gonna be flamed left right and center for this :l

I totally agree with you, but the speed on the shot strait pisses me off...

EuLoGy
Jun 11, 2005, 08:10 AM
On 2005-06-11 06:03, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but considering the nature of my question, it's probably ok to post here.

When C-Mode (Ep2) is released on US/EU BB, I was thinking of doing it to try for an S-Rank Needle, seeing as I've seen loads of Rangers use one. My RA is a RAmarl, I was thinking of going with the Spirit Special. (I know this is kinda the opposite of Tingle's topic a while ago). Since I always carry a good supply of fluids, would Spirit be a worthwhile Special attack?

I was initially going to go with Berserk, but i'm not too fond of the idea of cutting down my HP.

Can any RA veterans let me know if Spirit is a decent choice? Cheers.

K well, ive had a spirit needle before and i just stoped using the special because it was way to expansive having to use all the fuilds and its not like bazurk, once you get down to 5 tp you will just miss. since your a ramarl, lvl 20 resta is a big advatage for bazurk to just clear out a huge group very quickly and get your quick resta in before the next group spawns.

So unless you have a full bank of money i wouldnt suggest spirit. BTW i have been dying to find a EP2 c -mode team for when it comes out. so if your looking for someone please let me know. THNX.

PJ
Jun 11, 2005, 09:30 AM
Uriko, as Spirit is one of my favourite specials, I'd say do it, but it'd be especially good if you can get a weapon with Geist.

My HUmar's SRank Katana has spirit (I know, katana blah). I like how it does amazing damage; but unlike what a lot of people think (I know, I'm way off the PSO mindset >_>), HUmar's MST is important too. My second SRank, SRank Sword, has Geist, so I have an unlimited supply of TP for both Spirit and Resta/Rafoie/Anti etc. So for your RAmarl, I'd suggest also picking up an SRank Scythe.

Now, as everyone else will tell you, Berserk is a much better special than spirit (Because it is). Spirit is just a lot safer http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: My only problem is that I don't want to take 2 SRanks with me online x.x Unless I make a backup, I can only take advantage of this when I'm offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-06-11 07:39 ]</font>

Neith
Jun 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. I was gonna get an S-Rank Sword for my Hucast, but I guess that can wait until I have a scythe to back up the Needle. I'll definately consider the scythe, thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't have thought of that.. Looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot of c-mode >_<

PJ
Jun 11, 2005, 01:21 PM
Well, you can still get the Sword for your HUcast, since Sword is Ep1... unless you meant Swords, which means you'll have 3 of your characters Episode 2 SRank prizes taken up already x.x

Neith
Jun 11, 2005, 04:13 PM
I have a HUcast, HUnewearl, and RAmarl on BB, so the scythe is no problem. Thinking of going with Sword (HUcast), Swords (HUnewearl), Needle (RAmarl), and Scythe (RAmarl).Havent thought of the Ep1 prizes much so far, just the sword.

Luis
Jun 11, 2005, 07:35 PM
When i had the needle on my ranger i couldnt do what i do with my baranz launcher, they said that baranz miss a lot but i found myself that it misses 1 of all the 4 misiles, and with the overload of messeta, i manage to hit between 1200 and 1400 damage of every single misile, at the mines, i barely let the party hit the Gilchics, i use to take down 2 or 3 gilchis with 1 combo using the baranz launcher special.

In my opinion i prefer a quick death between a strategy death, but thats my personal gameplay.