PDA

View Full Version : 'Life Sentence' for MMORPG Murderer

Deathscythealpha
Jun 11, 2005, 06:46 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59570

Wow, now this is strange, and highlights how immersive online gaming can get. To go out and murder someone for selling a Virtual Item seems extreme, but people have done the same with real life property. Does this mean Virtual Items should start being given the same laws to govern over them as real life property?

Fefnir
Jun 11, 2005, 07:30 AM
Hah, second time I read this... Always makes me laugh.

Video games are taking people's sooooooouuuulllsss.. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Tact
Jun 11, 2005, 08:50 AM
"Okay, I'm not wearing gauntlets, so I should be able to open this window without setting off the poison trap and the alarm...Fuck! I forgot to take my Poison Amulet out of the bank!" *house alarm sounds*

But, on a more serious note, that guy Qiu was overreacting. It's not worth it to murder somebody over a piece of video game code.

Shadowpawn
Jun 11, 2005, 09:24 AM
There should be some rules with the TOS of the game to help prevent things like this. The victim could file a complaint to the company and the offender would get a lengthy ban. The victim would be compensated for his loss

goku4ever
Jun 11, 2005, 03:57 PM
No there isnt. Legend of Mir staff would take the stance that he was stupid enough to let him have it and so its his fault

Evil_Althena8
Jun 11, 2005, 04:06 PM
""We want Qiu to die, and immediately," he added."

I'm sorry, when I read that I laughed out loud. How sad and pathetic.

darthsaber9x9
Jun 11, 2005, 05:27 PM
On 2005-06-11 14:06, Evil_Althena8 wrote:
""We want Qiu to die, and immediately," he added."

I'm sorry, when I read that I laughed out loud. How sad and pathetic.

more pathetic than the original circumstances?

Luis
Jun 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
be carefull fsoders and hackers we dont know what can be next, lol

ABDUR101
Jun 11, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well, look at it like this, you spend a year or so of your life digging in a mine, and you eventually have other people digging with you. You become close to these people, close enough that you'd call some of them friends, you feel you can trust them.

Afew people start finding gems of all sorts, and eventually, so do you.

It comes down to, you spent the time and effort acquiring the item, and though he lended it to someone he thought was a friend, and that friend betrayed him, I don't think murder should have been any part in it.

I don't think anyone should have been killed over the matter, personally I'd of said well, thats how it goes, I'll know better next time. At worst, the guy could have just roughed up the friend who sold it, hand out a $650 worth ass-kicking or whatever.

But no, I don't think the law really needs brought into it. We don't need to fill up the courtroom time with something like this, when there are already petty enough ordeals happening and being taken to court about. Thats the problem, people have to take everything to a court anymore, in an attempt to get something rectified.

Whatever happened to just kicking someone's ass? Breaking legs or arms or even just fingers? Or just being the bigger man, taking a loss and a lesson?

Aranince
Jun 11, 2005, 08:13 PM
This just re-enforces my opinion that humans are stupid.

ABDUR101
Jun 11, 2005, 08:33 PM
On 2005-06-11 18:13, Aranince wrote:
This just re-enforces my opinion that humans are stupid.

You're part of the genepool as well. That opinion isn't original by far, and it makes me cringe everytime someone says it. =/

People come in all varieties, from idiots to saints. People do stupid things, they have and they will continue to do so.

Welcome to humanity.

Jett_Kakashi
Jun 11, 2005, 09:06 PM
Oh for the love of Christ....what a moron. Freaking out and killing someone over a single item. WHats next? Run somebody over because you took a peice of gum from them?

roygbiv
Jun 12, 2005, 01:43 AM
On 2005-06-11 19:06, Jett_Kakashi wrote:
Oh for the love of Christ....what a moron. Freaking out and killing someone over a single item. WHats next? Run somebody over because you took a peice of gum from them?

Awesome... take someone's gum AND then run them over? That in fact would make my day. And essentially cement my mind numbing fear of driving.

oh god this is why I don't chew gum.

Deathscythealpha
Jun 12, 2005, 07:49 AM
I think this is a very interesting subject to look at, as in a way it shows how we are becoming more submersed in a virtual culture. There are a lot of things these days that are done electonically, such as money transactions. If someone hacked a bank's computer system and stole a considerable amount of cash, could you say 'Well its only data'?

Now with the MMORPG's, people spend hours, days, months and now its becoming years building up their virtual characters. To have something theyve worked so hard for suddenly stolen from them in a cruel act can be demoralising and enraging. Same as in the real world where someone steals someones property only to get killed for it.

Yes, its stupid, but its happened for centuries. Now we are just doing it over electronic data.

On 2005-06-11 17:33, ABDUR101 wrote:
Whatever happened to just kicking someone's ass? Breaking legs or arms or even just fingers?

You get taken to Court for doing it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Jun 12, 2005, 11:02 AM
Well, it stops being "just data" when you start engrossing months and even years into the acquirement of it. Personally, I'd kick someone's ass if they sold a game that I let them borrow in good faith, and thats about a day's pay for me.

I'd say yeah, things like this need to start being taken to court, but damn, can you imagine the process for such things? Every game, different companies, different terms of service. The mere flood of new court room cases would be so vast, that the cases could'nt be held in all the courtooms available, there'd have to be a medium setup to try and support it.

And where does one draw the line? Someone stole a crap item that could easily be refound or purchased, would that be court-worthy since it was still a stolen object that someone acquired? It would'nt be able to just be the uber rare items that make a court dispute, it'd end up being every single item, and then there'd be petty thefts, etc.

Then it'd be decided that to play certain games and to be able to file a suit against a theif, you'd have to be 18+ (Which, already in my mind, I can see would cut down on false claims and a lot of petty stuff, depending on the maturity of those involved.)

It's a huge undertaking, and I don't quite think it will all fall into place anytime soon. An interesting direction to go in though.

Daikarin
Jun 12, 2005, 11:10 AM
I dont find this funny. Those guys should get a life instead of shooting everyone that takes your weapon. Imagine if everybody started shooting SEGA employees every time we got FSODed. Bunch of losers.

Xero_Silvera
Jun 12, 2005, 12:11 PM
This reminds me of the guy who lost is everquest character, and later committed suicide. Although they never found evidence that his suicide was linked with his character loss, he was an avid player and clocked over 2 years into the game, playing every spare moment he had. The guy's mother, whom he lived with at age 25+, tried to sue Sony online entertainment and EQ to put a label on the box: 'warning: this game may cause suicide due to extreme addiction!'..

Needless to say she lost that lawsuit.
-xero