PDA

View Full Version : A small PSO game. Ideas, anyone?

Pogle
Aug 4, 2002, 03:00 PM
Because I usually get mind-numbingly bored usually about this time of year, I usually do something productive in order to claim my sanity. This year, I have taken the task of making a small game based on Phantasy Star Online.

All I have so far is a little HUmar sprite I designed not that long ago, complete with walking north/south/east/west animations.

Trouble is I don't have the foggiest idea what to do now. I only want it to be small, and should run along the lines of Pac-man or something like that. Anybody who has any great ideas, be sure to post them here and I will be greatly thankful.

(P.S: It will be free. Of course. Like I could get someone to actually buy it, anyway)

Curlylove
Aug 4, 2002, 03:07 PM
like pac-man huh? ok what about your little
char has to run around mazes collecting all the rappys on the levels while avoiding the boomas. or you could have a side-scroling
shooter with your char that picks up new weapons, and boomas and rappys fly across
the screen like R-type.

Defend
Aug 4, 2002, 03:55 PM
Pac man style eh?
For every dot you pick up, of every level, make it flash up "Not a rare".

Simply do that repeatedly.. there is no end or climax.

Curlylove
Aug 4, 2002, 04:01 PM
that game sounds familier what is it called?
....oh i got it PSO!

Kaervek
Aug 4, 2002, 04:38 PM
I remember a few years back when I had a subscription to PC Gamer, they had the Coconut Monkey games on the CD. At the end, there was a button to click that would link you to a site to get the software, called "Click-and-Play" if I remember correctly, and you could make your own simple games. The games always seemed decent and were really quite detailed and fun to play. I'd imagine the URL would be Clickandplay.com but I'm not sure. Search around for it or maybe you can find it at download.com. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about the progress of your game!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaervek on 2002-08-04 14:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaervek on 2002-08-04 14:42 ]</font>

Curlylove
Aug 4, 2002, 05:04 PM
I think i found what you mean mate is it this? if not it is very similer.
http://www.clickteam.com/English/welcome.php

Pogle
Aug 4, 2002, 05:19 PM
After hours and hours of constant tweaking and changing bits and bobs, I've managed to narrow it down to a simple platformer (it maybe simple now, but maybe a sequek may improve upon it vastly... I don't know, I'll have to see how well the first one does). Anyway, I started thinking (for some reason) about the bonus stages in Donky Kong Country 2 & 3, where the player had to perform a different task-

These were

Find the token
Collect the stars
Bash the baddies

So, that gave me the idea to complete the levels by either

Defeat the enemies
Activate the switch
Find all floor switches

What do you all think of this? And does anyone have any ideas in the way of defeating enemies, power-ups etc. Thanks for your input so far- if I ever manage to complete this game I will have to put you all in the credits!

Curlylove
Aug 4, 2002, 05:32 PM
Cool! power ups ok! what about coffee to make
your char run faster,mags for better defence,
you could defeat enemies by shotting them if
you pick up a gun, but the gun only lasts
for ten secs,red rings for extra lives.

IceBlink
Aug 5, 2002, 08:42 PM
Heh, why not make a Final Fantasy-type game? o_O

As for icons, well, I've made a load of them... but they're mine, all mine! o_O

Moo2u
Aug 5, 2002, 09:15 PM
Why not make an old school Frogger type game? Just try to get across the lobby without getting PKed. O.o

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Aug 5, 2002, 10:29 PM
OMG, I can see that right now...

You jump across and see humars all casting resta or something... and saying Gameshark OwNz j00!

Xerin
Aug 6, 2002, 12:13 AM
RPGMaker2000 =P

RavenTW
Aug 6, 2002, 01:09 PM
Make it like Megaman gameboy version, where you can select a stage with one of the bosses, beat them, then unlock a stage where you have to fight an evil double with a stag cutlery, then fight the Ultimate forms of the bosses, then actually beat the stag-weilding double. does that sound good, or is it too big?

EDIT: Oh yeah, when you fight Vol Opt, it would be his second form, and when you fight DRF, it would be his first, then after you beat the stag dude, you could fight the third form of DRF.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenTW on 2002-08-06 11:11 ]</font>

Kent
Aug 6, 2002, 01:20 PM
On 2002-08-05 22:13, Xerin wrote:
RPGMaker2000 =P

Yes!

Use this!

Curlylove
Aug 6, 2002, 04:03 PM
Pogle how's the game coming?