PDA

View Full Version : Awww =) The Oppeness of PSO GameCube

Sedyne
Aug 4, 2002, 09:26 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,516243,00.html?page=69

I love how they've sort of "openedu up" the levels more with more fieldy type places. It makes the game feel less conjested. In PSOv1/2 i allways felt clostrophobic in those tiny ass areas except for forest with somewhat nice large open areas =). Even ruins huge rooms felt tight for me though. =)

Davion
Aug 4, 2002, 09:43 PM
I agree. The forest was always my favorite set of maps for the same reason you stated above.

Wewt
Aug 4, 2002, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I agree too. I don't know anybody that doesn't like the Forest levels.

As for the Caves...many hated that level. It was closed off, small rooms and it took too long to get to the boss.

OrionSunstar
Aug 5, 2002, 12:52 AM
I found the forest to be the most enjoyable level, due to the fact it was actually different to the other levels, caves, mines & ruins were all the same, the forest had a bit of variety and was a lot more beutiful http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Aug 5, 2002, 04:01 AM
We all seem to agree that forest , even though was always the same, was the nicest place to place. It didn't feel closed up or hallway-like like most other areas were.

Neogame2
Aug 5, 2002, 04:25 AM
I never did like the caves, but i find the forest very enjoyable to run through each time i play offline, lets hope the new levels on the cube are just as enjoyable.

Cabel
Aug 5, 2002, 07:19 AM
I'd have to disagree- the caves are probably my favourite level. Most varied monsters, not all drone types (like ruins, except sorcerors really), and it did have interesting rooms. Caves 2 - thats outdoors isnt it? The light must get in somehow to make those rainbows. Has the most atmospheric music as well, and best boss.

Only real dissapointing level I'd say is ruins. Forest introduces drone type monsters, with some interesting monster design, caves makes the game a bit more complicated, with lilies, nanos, assasins and slimes, and mines changes the whole way the monsters are fought... the drones here are unlike all the others, falling over and having lasers. Ruins though- its all the same, does nothing which wasn't done in forest, but with higher stats. 1, 2 and 3 are identical.

Sedyne
Aug 5, 2002, 08:05 AM
On 2002-08-05 05:19, Cabel wrote:
I'd have to disagree- the caves are probably my favourite level. Most varied monsters, not all drone types (like ruins, except sorcerors really), and it did have interesting rooms. Caves 2 - thats outdoors isnt it? The light must get in somehow to make those rainbows. Has the most atmospheric music as well, and best boss.

Only real dissapointing level I'd say is ruins. Forest introduces drone type monsters, with some interesting monster design, caves makes the game a bit more complicated, with lilies, nanos, assasins and slimes, and mines changes the whole way the monsters are fought... the drones here are unlike all the others, falling over and having lasers. Ruins though- its all the same, does nothing which wasn't done in forest, but with higher stats. 1, 2 and 3 are identical.

Caves>Outdoors? No. Think about it pal. CAVES. It's a indoor tunnel buddy. and the "rainbow" can be caused by any light in there. perhaps there was a small opening in that ONE part of caves where you see the rainbow however caves is still an INDOORS place.

Wewt
Aug 5, 2002, 08:13 AM
I guess every level has something good to it. Except for mines. Forest has the atmosphere, Caves has the best boss, Ruins is your final level and with most EXP.

Mines has nothing to offer. Although I'd still play Mines over caves anyday.

rena-ko
Aug 5, 2002, 08:47 AM
in non-ultimate mode, mines and forest are my favorites, because i'm a RAzonde-fanatic and also mines is short (and you find baby-mags) enough to not bore.
for ultimate mode i was very disappointed that all robots are strong against zonde-techs...

about caves... well, its way too long and i somehow dislike cave1 and 3.

Shadow_Blade
Aug 5, 2002, 09:13 AM
I think we should make a poll "If you have quit pso, what lv did you quit on (if any)" ^ ^; i betcha 90% would say caves or mines.

Gazebo
Aug 5, 2002, 09:28 AM
I friggin' hate the caves, it's so boring playing in the caves, and that is probably the biggest dissapointment for me in PSO...I also hate the music in the caves, it makes me sleepy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Wang_Tang
Aug 5, 2002, 12:29 PM
I'd have to say my favourite level in the game is the mines. In ultimate mode its a little more difficult, because the bots dont fall down as easily, and the sinow reds can s/d themselves and surrounding monsters, but it still makes for a fun lvl to play. Plus a really like the music in the mines ^_^.

Malkavian
Aug 5, 2002, 12:43 PM
I like MINES a lot too. Is fast, fun to play, it looks cool, many exp, the music is good, and has some hard moments that make it great.
In mines there are some situations a lot harder than in the ruins.

Moo2u
Aug 5, 2002, 02:26 PM
Even though forest was my fav as well, the other levesls wern't all that bad. I did like the look of caves 1 and 2 (but not three! ACK! I hate that place!) Mines were jusst plain futuristic fun! I really liked in ver 2 how you could run through some walls. And taking out Grantz...or whatever the hell thoughs huge robots are call...was just a blast. Ruins...well...long boring... It would have been better if you could have wandered into that village that you saw outside the ruins. That would have been cool.

HC82
Aug 5, 2002, 06:52 PM
I don't play the caves much myself. Takes too long and really doesn't yeild much gain.

It isn't a bad stage, just not balanced well. Considering exp gain and the fact that orb lillies should be a ruins worthy enemy considering how much they add to the stages difficulty. It's a cool stage and all, but not balanced well considering the time, items and exp gain. Del rol is IMO one of the cooler bosses.

Defend
Aug 5, 2002, 07:07 PM
All the new levels are nice and open air, that's the clincher in my opinion. PSO really blew its load too early, Forest was great... then every level suddenly became one boxed room, connected to another boxed room.

The new levels all follow Forest's style, but my mate also pointed out that this probably means their maps won't vary, just start differently. Just like Forest.

I prefer that anyway... the 'box by box' caves to ruins.. sucked!!

Neogame2
Aug 7, 2002, 07:17 AM
It would of been good also to explore pioneer 2 a bit as well.

Bootilicus
Aug 7, 2002, 08:34 AM
I can say that I like the Caves 2,3...the waterfalls are cool!

s_j15
Aug 10, 2002, 08:43 PM
Now you see, I liked the forest the best cuz its wide open and all that good stuff, but of course I liked em all too cept Caves 3, (did they really need thaty much caves? jeez!) The ruins would come next because its where the bad-ass Falz is hee hee

RavenTW
Aug 10, 2002, 09:07 PM
Forest-F1 was too sunny and chirpy, I liked F2 cause it was a little dark and it was raining. dragon is fun, when none of your teammates are using rares that kill the drag the first time he falls

Caves-Before C-mode, I liked Caves 1, but now, I hate it with a passion. I always liked C2, although the V2 Ultimate/Challenge makover felt too clautrophobic. C3 was nice, different textures in each room. Del Rol Lee is annoying, period.

Mines- Probably my fav, the only thing I hated were those STUPID GARANZES! Felt a little sorry the first time I saw M2, due to it's run-down status. I liked M2 better than M1 though. Vol Opt is too freakin' easy, my friend and I, both lev 30 RAmars using S-ranks, killed his second form almost before the boss intro loaded!

Ruins-I liked it first time I saw it, but now it's just repetitive. DF is always a great fight though, especially good were the two times I faced his Hard mode/ Very hard mode forms.

Ian D
Aug 10, 2002, 10:15 PM
My favorites have to be the Mines and the Forest. I like the Mines a bit more just because of the experience you get and they don't take as long as the caves or Ruins. The only bad thing about the Mines is the crappy boss at the end. The Forest is good because it is very wide and scenic, plus the Dragon boss is pretty fun.

GhoStar
Aug 12, 2002, 08:24 AM
Favourite level: Forrest (a great introduction to the game, and for reasons mentioned above)
Favourite boss: Caves

Probably the most memorable part of PSO was the first time I saw/fought De Rol online with 3 others.

scu
Aug 12, 2002, 04:47 PM
I have always been a fan of the Mines. I guess because it's all mechanical looking and I like that kinda thing. I even like the boss.
The Caves worm always freaks me out. Even to this day... after spending over a year... he still freaks me out!

Shinnosuke
Aug 12, 2002, 06:35 PM
Hmph...I began as a HUmar...I had no idea...

Forest - This place was misleading as hell. Beautiful, open...OPEN! This place stunned me my first time around...but once I got to Ultimate mode, it quickly became annoying. I play offline, so I had to find weaknesses in the monster's attack pattern. Once I found out how incredibly stupid they all were...the game began to lose a lot of it's appeal.

Caves - I hadn't even finished Cave 1 before I began to hate this place. It's so incredibly dull, it ain't funny. The music bores me to the point of well...utter boredom. I remember being on the phone with my friend as I was close to beating Cave 2 for the first time when he told me that it consisted of 3 levels. You cannot imagine how miserable I felt after those words... I guess my utterly dull Cave experience was remedied with Del Rol...GAWD, that thing was and will always be fun to take on!

Mines - ALRIIIIGHT!!!!! This place was amazingly refreshing after my first Cave trek. Up until this time, I didn't even consider using magic...or a gun (except against Bosses). The Zonde series soon became my favorite and I found my self using spells that I never cared for, such as Anti...damn slo-mo. Garanz....In his first appearance, I was battling an army of dubchics with my trusty "Brand-of-something+whatever" (Ah...the glory days...when I thought a Brand was a cool weapon...heck, when all weapons were cool. Damn that DB Saber...put everything down the toilet, it did...Rare, my ass) and I kept getting hit by missles from some unseen source. "WTF?!" I exclaimed as I turned around and saw something that made me exclaim "WTF?!" a second time. I, being the genius I am, ran circles around the beast and the missles took out everything BUT me. Then I, being the genius that I am, realized that I was on invincible mode and was running for nothing. Go figure. What? How come the Mines aren't 3 or even 4 levels?! Those crappy Caves were!!! I blew a gasket at this revalation with the following words not being suitable to minors... Vol Opt...I laugh at thee. I busted out my Mechguns (New favorite toy) and the first form died before I even knew what the heck I was really doing. The second form fell to my "Big-Ass-Sword-of-something+whatever" a little too fast. Let's just say that I waited for a 3rd form...

Ruins - You've all gotta admit...when you first did this place, your adrenaline was pumping. Come on now! After making it THIS far, you know it's gonna be crazy. The Ruins filled me with so many emotions...wonder...amazement...battle lust...the WTF every two second-syndrome. Then I saw it...remember the first time you looked out of that huge window in the Ruins? We were all thinking..."So this is where we're headed...a magnificent city." We were all like..."SWEEEEET!!!!" I, personally thought that I'd find the citizens of Pioneer 1 in a majestic place filled with chaos and wonder, fighting monsters of terrible power. ....What? This is a spaceship? Uh...we're still going to that city, right? Oh, crud. I'll admit...I zoomed through the game with the decision to save the Quests for later. I couldn't have been higher than LV 22 when I got to Ruins 3 and boy was it fun. Monsters at every turn...knowing that I was getting closer and closer to Dark Falz...the root of all of this. I was disappointed about the loss of my...city, but the coming battle is what kept my adrenaline pumping. "Uh-oh...it's a sweet little fairy princess land...This means that some serious shit is about to go down." I prepped my gear and everything for the coming battle against Dark Falz. The first time around...the stupid Dragon heads trapped me and I had to have been stuck for 10 minutes...I let him kill me just to get it overwith. The second time, I cursed Sonic Team for such a goofy monster design as I blasted Dark Falz with Dual Mechguns. The second form wasn't as hard as I expected but hey...I'm the shit. The 3rd form (Hard mode) was fun but it took forever to kill him....(I blame Mechguns for their crappy reach and handguns for...sucking) All in all, it was fun. I didn't have the patience to complete Ultimate mode but that Sil Dragon is one fun boss!

Thanks for reliving Phantasy Star Online with me folks. We've all been through the same alley (in single player, anyway) so I guess we're all family on this one.