PDA

View Full Version : Best console to play online with(security)

Imatron
Jun 18, 2005, 09:26 AM
First off, I apologize if this is constantly covered here and if this at all annoys anyone to ask. I could not find any relavant information on it.

I was on the Dreamcast version of PSO when it was free, and there were many hackers.

I wanted to ask which system (GameCube, X Box, or PC) provides the best security to protect you from losing hours of work because someone wanted to turn you into a girl named NOL...

Also, if you have one hunters license, could it be used for both the pc version (ep 1,2, and 4) and the X Box, gamecube, etc?

Also, please tell me what kind of stuff the hackers can do if anything, Im trying to decide if I should bother if the hacking is in fact very bad.

Thank you all for any help you provide, I very much appreciate it.

Arislan
Jun 18, 2005, 09:49 AM
DC: Only JP and EU servers up (along with a couple private servers, but that *all* I'm saying about that, and noone else is to speak of them, as per rules). Population VERY low on these servers, hacking near nil too, since everyone wo wanted to moved away. But good luck getting into decent games here.

XBox: Hacked weapons/Armor/Mags abound. Ask around for an hour and you can get *anything* ingame that you want. If you're looking for something that's relatively legit, you can find it, but it seems hacks are the order of the day here.

GC: See XBox. Plus, Episode 3 (if also purchased) can be played on the same Hunters License as Episode 1 and 2. Episode 3 has minor hacking, a "get any card" mod type thing was released a while back, but it's not easy *at all* to do (very very very reptitive and time consuming to gain cards), so traders of really rare stuff are nil.

PC: Servers no longer exist, offline only.

Blue Burst: Also PC based, just went into retail for US/EU players, has been so in JP for a while. Almost no hacking, ST has been known to throw out bans on people (even banned one notorious hacker's entire ISP, ouch). Currently Sega's baby, but with how capricious they are, no telling how long that will last. US BB is only up to VH, no Ultimate or Challenge Mode yet. Online Only as well, although you can play the offline quests (while logged in, online).

Besides GC Ep 1 and 2, and Ep 3 covered by the same HL, no HL's are compatible with any other version.

/edit covered HL issues

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2005-06-18 07:50 ]</font>

Marianne
Jun 18, 2005, 10:32 AM
BB is obviously the best..but if you get pso pc there is a private server http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif dunno if I can say how to get on it though http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

Arislan
Jun 18, 2005, 11:11 AM
Saying "There are private servers out there" is fine. Anything past that is itching for a warning/ban. And the OP already stated that he played DC PSO, so it'd probably be easier for him to go that route if he did the Private thing. Bigger community out there for it in any case.

But yes, BB is by far the best way to go for nil hacking and community base. I prefer the JP version at the moment (more complete), but the US is fine how it is.

Blitzkommando
Jun 18, 2005, 02:28 PM
Just to elaborate, NOLing has ceased to exist. However, there is a new threat found on Gamecube that envolves a forced "FSOD" (Frozen Screen of Death) in which if the perpitrator times it correctly, can also cause a save to occur during this, thus resulting in a corrupt file. Meaning, you have to restart. This can be avoided should you decide to go to GC. There is no way for sure though. But just some guidelines, keep on smaller population ships/blocks, stay out of lobbies for extended periods of time, and, unfortunately if all else fails, play in locked games. Note that GC and Xbox have waned past the prime of their lives and are at a much lower population today than say 1 or 2 years ago. BB has yet to reach it's peak so for new characters it will be easier to catch up to the rest of the community.

Fossil
Jun 18, 2005, 04:10 PM
DC: Much Hacking
GC: Some, not much.
Xbox: http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
PC: Computer game, nuff said. :

adamgnome104
Jun 18, 2005, 04:40 PM
On 2005-06-18 12:28, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Just to elaborate, NOLing has ceased to exist. However, there is a new threat found on Gamecube that envolves a forced "FSOD" (Frozen Screen of Death) in which if the perpitrator times it correctly, can also cause a save to occur during this, thus resulting in a corrupt file. Meaning, you have to restart. This can be avoided should you decide to go to GC. There is no way for sure though. But just some guidelines, keep on smaller population ships/blocks, stay out of lobbies for extended periods of time, and, unfortunately if all else fails, play in locked games. Note that GC and Xbox have waned past the prime of their lives and are at a much lower population today than say 1 or 2 years ago. BB has yet to reach it's peak so for new characters it will be easier to catch up to the rest of the community.

Yeah, somebody corrupted me that way. I wish I read that before I got corrupted. >_____>()
So if your game keeps restarting you and making you warp to the lobby over and over again, SOFT RESET!! >_< A, B, X and Start at the same time.

Imatron
Jun 18, 2005, 10:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your help.

In regard to the x box verion, how many charcters can you save? Is there a way to say, back up your guy to a memory card? Or can you still only copy guild cards?

What is the fee? last time I saw the price it was fifteen for three months, ow Im hearing it's about eight or so a month?

Also, in regards to hacked items, what are the risks of having those? And what circumstances could constitute myself being banned for thier use? How would I know if it was hacked if it doesnt have the +99 status? I wouldn't want to knowingly have a hacked item.

...And I know this is unlikley, but is there any afe way to get a Cube character to the x box? I have a level hundred something there.

Blitzkommando
Jun 18, 2005, 10:41 PM
In regard to the x box verion, how many charcters can you save? Is there a way to say, back up your guy to a memory card? Or can you still only copy guild cards?
12 characters if I recall correctly (might have been 8)... And I think it is possible to do a temporary character on a memory card, not permanant though. (has been a long time since I played psox). So, in question of copying characters, no you cannot.

What is the fee? last time I saw the price it was fifteen for three months, ow Im hearing it's about eight or so a month?
$8.95 per month

Also, in regards to hacked items, what are the risks of having those? And what circumstances could constitute myself being banned for thier use? How would I know if it was hacked if it doesnt have the +99 status? I wouldn't want to knowingly have a hacked item.
Risks? Possible banning for 24 hours. Permabanned on Xbox/GC? That takes a LOT of work through hacking for Sega to do that. You cannot tell the difference between hacked and non-hacked. (except for mags with over 200 levels or less than 5 def, oh and weapons with over 100% to one specific area, eg. 187% Hit)

...And I know this is unlikley, but is there any afe way to get a Cube character to the x box? I have a level hundred something there.

Impossible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLITZKOMMANDO on 2005-06-18 20:42 ]</font>

RonBurgundy
Jun 19, 2005, 03:29 AM
Actually on Xbox if you want to, you can create 48 characters. With one gamertag, you can create 4 files with 12 characters on each

KingDookie
Jun 19, 2005, 09:06 AM
Whoah. On GC, you can only have 4, then 4 temps on a different card. Just whoah.

I'm gonna play PSO BB though. I like how htere are mods.

Feelmirath
Jun 19, 2005, 10:54 AM
then 4 temps on a different card
I think you mean 3. This was because one person had their memo card in slot 1, and then u could transferr any 3 chars from other memo cards. Then you transferred them bak before you turned the gc off.

DarkEliteRico
Jun 19, 2005, 11:04 AM
On 2005-06-18 20:19, Imatron wrote:
Thank you everyone for your help.

12 characters per gamertag, but you can use the other empty slots for a copy of the SAME gamertag to get more characters

Imatron
Jun 20, 2005, 01:56 PM
From what Ive established/understand, technicaly one memory card for the cameube can hold seven guys, four of your own, three temps.

In regards to backing up a guy (for Game cube), I understand it is very possible, but I havent confirmed this, would you please tell me if either of the fallowing are possible?

Possability one: transfer your guy to another memory card, and play online with the transfered guy. If he gets hacked, just use the retrieval function (an option from the card he was transfered from) to make that memory card a main file again. You do lose your wepons if this is possible, but if your transfered guy's items still exist after being nolled (And I have confirmed that you can transfer from a temp guy to his original file retrieved) just trade them back. All level ups and experience will be lost though.

Possibility two: Transfer your guy to a temp file, but use the retrieval function to make the card he was taken from the main guy again. Then if your guy gets corrupted/nolled from the main file, re create a guy named the same as the original, transfer that guy out and use the return to slot b function to send your temp file (the one you made before the couption) back onto your new recreated file.

If you make the backup and do the retireval, you can in fact have for example:

Imatron (temp file on another card) trade the items back to:
Imatron (retrived file on original card). The game allows the retrieved guy to do multiplayer with the original guy.

Does any of this make sense? if not please say what you don't understand and I'll try to clarify it.

Also, in regards to x box live, I want to make a gamertag or something that would allow my brother to have a seperate file that would not for instance affect my own score in games with rankings. Is there a way etablish a gamertag without paying for another Live subscription? Or to give him a file that made him always apear as a guet instead of my self?

Once again thank you all very much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Imatron on 2005-06-20 12:01 ]</font>

Imatron
Jun 23, 2005, 07:44 PM
I have another two questions to ask, about the game cube's broadband modem adapter. I have my X Box set up and ready to go for live services.

I use an x box/microsoft brand wirless adapter to hook up to the internet for my x box, I know this same adapter can be used to hook up a desktop computer to the ethernet, but can it be used to hook up a gamecube to the internet if you have the gamecube's broadband adapter?

Also, if I have a hunters licence, can I use the SAME one to play online with both the x box and the gamecube? Or would I need two seperate accounts, one for each system?

SheWren
Jun 24, 2005, 06:56 AM
NO: you cannot share your HL among platforms.