PDA

View Full Version : Xbox keyboard and Non-M$ servers

saffaya
Aug 5, 2002, 04:28 PM
Xbox keyboard :

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=801385&affid=99999&sourceid=00391498174428852371(null)

Interview with M$ reps :

http://www.xengamers.com/sections/news/8163/

quoting them :

"Nevertheless, we've included the keyboard option for game developers who aren't interested in incorporating voice chat features."

"It may be possible in the future for game developers to establish their own servers with security gateways to protect players and collect fees."

So, for the keyboard we went from "NO WAY" to "option available"
and for servers separate from Xbox Live!, we went from "NO WAY" to "possible".

I'm no fanboy, so you won't read rants or raves here.
I'll just watch others argue endlessly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2002-08-05 14:35 ]</font>

rbf2000
Aug 5, 2002, 04:34 PM
On 2002-08-05 14:28, saffaya wrote:
"It may be possible in the future for game developers to establish their own servers with security gateways to protect players and collect fees."
They probably said that because of PSO and the charges that ST wants to put on the game.

saffaya
Aug 5, 2002, 04:41 PM
And if that would become real, why not go just a step farther and revive the lost dream of cross-platform play.
I wish they'd see that the whole is bigger that the sum of the parts.

WraithAkaMrak
Aug 5, 2002, 04:48 PM
On 2002-08-05 14:41, saffaya wrote:
And if that would become real, why not go just a step farther and revive the lost dream of cross-platform play.
I wish they'd see that the whole is bigger that the sum of the parts.
Yes. Bring on cross-platform play.

Mag_Launcher
Aug 5, 2002, 04:56 PM
Yes, but Xbox with Gamecube online play is something I would say "HELL NO" to. Those people are good enough on their own, they don't need to be infecting other system's servers with their fanboyishness. So, I'm quite glad Microsoft is keeping them in their own little servers, they don't need to be anywhere else.

Agent_Reav
Aug 5, 2002, 05:21 PM

So far the only OFFICIAL statement from Microsoft has been that they will host the servers.... They have been pushing this especially had in the Official Xbox Mag so I doubt the above statement is factual. Reps give their opinions or hopes and not factual information. As for cross-platform I really hope not. The main draw of Xbox online play is lag-free gaming which just wouldn't be possible if GCN's Dial-up users join in.

Mag_Launcher
Aug 5, 2002, 05:46 PM
I don't care about speed. It's the atmosphere of the gaming environment.

Would YOU like playing with a bunch of snobby bastards dissing the system you're playing on? I wouldn't.

Fanboys. The most sickest, lowlife, and immature jackasses of all existence.

Gaming is almost no longer a form of entertainment, it's almost a way of life. From simple competitive matches in an Arcade, to full scale clan/system wars. It will never end, no matter how much we want it to. It just proves the fact, that some people are just incapable of accepting that you have to get a freaking life, and stop loafing around a chat room, forum, or game lobby all day telling people how they suck or how they're "gay" for playing a certain system.

To put it simply, you people make me sick. all of you. fanboy or not.

saffaya
Aug 5, 2002, 05:51 PM
Reps give their opinions or hopes and not factual information.

suit yourself.

The main draw of Xbox online play is lag-free gaming which just wouldn't be possible if GCN's Dial-up users join in.

not for PSO. unless playing lobby soccer or battle mode, you can't guess if a player has modem or broadband.

Agent_Reav
Aug 5, 2002, 08:01 PM
I've logged around 900 hrs and yes there is lag in game... Plenty if you're unlucky. I'm sure u have experienced "jumping" when players freeze for a few seconds and then go into hyper speed... That is an indicator of lag. Maybe the net code for PSO GC has been tightened... I'm not sure but as it stands only Broadband can provide LAG FREE play.

Parn
Aug 5, 2002, 08:08 PM
On 2002-08-05 15:21, Agent_Reav wrote:

Microsoft reps seemed a good enough source last week when they were saying PSO Episode II was coming for Xbox. Interesting set of double standards you have.

Agent_Reav
Aug 5, 2002, 09:12 PM
I never based my stance on PSO Xbox from kal's convos with a rep. If you read the Official Xbox Magazine you would have known it would not be a driect port... Kal's rep convo only reassured me.

Parn
Aug 5, 2002, 10:12 PM
And from whom do you think Xbox Magazine got their info?

WraithAkaMrak
Aug 5, 2002, 10:20 PM
Though I certainly hope it's more than a v2 port, I don't really trust OXM all that much.

RavenTW
Aug 5, 2002, 10:35 PM
Ok, that link to the Xbox keyboard is for a SHARKBOARD, another crappy Interact peripheral made to make hacking/cheating easier. Yes, it doubles as a normal keyboard, but will Microsoft integrate it into their online "utopia"? I doubt it.

Kalbelgarion
Aug 5, 2002, 11:33 PM
Yes, Mag, because we all know that everyone who will buy XBOX PSO is a foolish fanboy, and everyone who will buy GCN PSO is a totally openminded liberal. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Parn: If I got 5 different reps to repeat this information, *then* I'd give it the upmost credence.

And about the seperate servers...if that word is credible, they said that other companies may set up their own servers *in the future*, as in, after XBOX Live is well established. The XBOX PSO this fall will most likely be on Microsoft's servers, but PSO2 may be on Sonic Team's.

Parn
Aug 5, 2002, 11:51 PM
Will someone please tell me where this "info" that PSO Xbox would be hosted on Microsoft's servers came from? I ask because I heard this same line of nonsense when GameCube PSO was first announced, in that it would somehow be on "Nintendo's servers."

It's Sega's game, not Microsoft's. Sega charging an online fee in Japan seems to imply that the game's going to be on their servers, just as always.

Agent_Reav
Aug 6, 2002, 01:09 AM
Umm actually Microsoft has made it quite clear that ALL Xbox Live games will be hosted on MS servers. I guess you don't follow XB news (like I don't really follow GC news :/). Pretty much the only purchase to make is the Live Pack and Ms takes care of the rest... Hope the info helped. I got my info from OXM (Ms' official Magazine) and I think IGN posted something about it also... It's pretty much been taken as common knowledge since then though.

VariantXL
Aug 6, 2002, 01:58 AM
And i suppose sega's talk about there being a hunters license was a bold faced lie? Pfft... U pay the xbox live fee yearly and the hunters license 3 month block as always. Pso for xbox will likely be on M$ servers since they arent taking away dc servers to use for Xbox pso but rather for use in E1&E2

Agent_Reav
Aug 6, 2002, 02:49 AM
I haven't heard any SEGA talk about a hunters license for the US Xbox version...

Malkavian
Aug 6, 2002, 08:21 AM
neither for US GC version

Well you know there are many unnofficial xbox servers, making lan with the pc. That's the only way to don't play in xbox live servers.

And that lag stuff in PSO is bs.
First of all in dc the modem was 33k and when I had problems 90% of the time was cause the servers not my connection.
maybe the only place u can notice a difference is in battle.

Parn
Aug 6, 2002, 04:02 PM
Show me a link that says PSO is hosted on Microsoft's servers. I want proof. If Microsoft is hosting PSO Xbox's servers, then why is Sega charging on online fee in Japan? Mind explaining that one to me, and everyone else?

saffaya
Aug 6, 2002, 06:21 PM
Show me a link that says PSO is hosted on Microsoft's servers. I want proof. If Microsoft is hosting PSO Xbox's servers, then why is Sega charging on online fee in Japan? Mind explaining that one to me, and everyone else?

You are mistaken. It is precisely the reverse situation. M$ has explained officially since the beginning that Xbox Live! is a CLOSED and SECURE network owned and run by them.
They are the ones charging SEGA for using their servers. SEGA then has to pass down the cost to customers.
YOU have to show a proof that PSO isnt on M$ servers.

Parn
Aug 6, 2002, 09:25 PM
Doesn't change the situation saffaya. I don't want words, I want proof. Show me a link, and then we'll talk.

Agent_Reav
Aug 7, 2002, 12:27 AM
Parn you really are an asshole... I just thought I'd let you know that. Read up some more on Xbox Live before trying to be a smart ass. Here are screen caps of my convo with a Rep. I would scan my OXM but i don't have a flatbed. Enjoy:

Picture # 1 of Xbox Chat (http://www.geocities.com/agentreaver/capture_xboxchat1.BMP)

Picture # 2 of Xbox Chat (http://www.geocities.com/agentreaver/capture_xboxchat2.BMP)

Picture # 3 of Xbox Chat (http://www.geocities.com/agentreaver/capture_xboxchat3.BMP)

Picture # 4 of Xbox Chat (http://www.geocities.com/agentreaver/capture_xboxchat4.BMP)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Agent_Reav on 2002-08-06 22:31 ]</font>

Parn
Aug 7, 2002, 01:35 AM
Since we're on the subject of name-calling, I guess it's my turn now, right? You're a little baby for getting upset that I'm asking for proof instead of chiming in and agreeing with you. Want me to hand you your pacifier before you start crying? Must be terrible having to spend several moments without a nipple in your mouth.

Getting back on track here, your links to your discussion with a rep don't do any good since I'm getting an error that the site's exceeded the monthly bandwidth. And they're irrelevant anyways since by your own words:

On 2002-08-05 15:21, Agent_Reav wrote:

You said it, I didn't. The irony here is just HILARIOUS.

Yet again, give me a link to an official site that lists some details. Calling me an asshole, a smart ass, a stupid bitch, a pole smoker, or anything else won't work. If you're trying to hurt me, you obviously don't know me enough to hurt me effectively. Simply a link to all the information on Xbox Live regarding 3rd party support and other related details is all that's needed, thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2002-08-07 01:28 ]</font>

ChokingVictim
Aug 7, 2002, 02:07 AM
saucer of milk, table 2...

Mag_Launcher
Aug 7, 2002, 09:06 AM
I love it when Parn comes in and tells these fools what's what. But yeah, I agree with Parn. Sure it might be on MS servers BUT! However, MS said that 3rd parties (Which is what Sega/ST is) can charge their own fees, if needed. Agent, you've been quite a persistent bastard on this "not gonna pay for an Xbox hunter's license" subject. But I get the feeling that you're gonna be humiliated once the US Xbox PSO comes out... Oh well, stop bitching about it, 15 freakin' dollars shouldn't be too much for you, since you already have broadband. And then, you can frolic in fields of flowers with the Rappys and chat with your fellow fanboy players who nothing else better to do than diss Gamecube all day like a bunch of lamers. Pathetic.

Malkavian
Aug 7, 2002, 09:26 AM
The charge fees have never been cause server maintenance or hosting.
The reasons for it are updates, patching, etc...

Agent_Reav
Aug 7, 2002, 01:26 PM
The updates and "patches" we non-existent on PSO DC. Hacking abounds and RSOD is the name game http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. I'd like to make it clear that I am NOT an Xbox fanboy it just angers me when ppl weho obviously no nothing about it try to act like they do. I own a GC and a PS2 in addition to an Xbox. I'm a gamer not a fanboy let's just get that straight. Now Parn if you want it in writing I will give you the issue and page numer of OXM it is in:

It is the August 2002 Issue (Pgs 42-49)

BTW sry for the name calling I was just getting a bit frustrated.

scu
Aug 12, 2002, 05:02 PM
I am confused here...
and yes, I have been away from PSOW for months....
I am an Xbox owner and I like it very much, but I'm not one of those types that tell everyone how great it is. That's just sad...
Has there been a problem here at PSOW with Xbox owners talking shit to the GameCube owners? I am just curious because Mag Launcher seems very pissed about something.

Sedyne
Aug 12, 2002, 06:07 PM
On 2002-08-05 21:33, Kalbelgarion wrote:
Yes, Mag, because we all know that everyone who will buy XBOX PSO is a foolish fanboy, and everyone who will buy GCN PSO is a totally openminded liberal. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

i can't tell if your being a dick and critisizing Xbox PSO and calling anyone who buys it a fanbpoy but if u are ur a little gay nintendo fanboy yourself. mr. incompetant.

if not then...take no regards as to waht i just said.

rbf2000
Aug 13, 2002, 02:43 AM
Kalbelgarion must have just forgotten the / in the closing [sarcasm] tag.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2002-08-13 00:45 ]</font>

saffaya
Aug 13, 2002, 04:12 AM
Has there been a problem here at PSOW with Xbox owners talking shit to the GameCube owners?

Most of the problem steem from the fact that no one knows what kind of PSO the Xbox will get.
The only screenshots available show only v2 stuff (unlike GC) with a cosmetic change to the HUD.
So a lot of Xbox lovers mind are running wild, saying it will get anything between a port of the GC version and a full blown sequel.
Their arguments are the Xbox power (and HD), and how they just can't be treated with a plain v2 port.

Facts are GC version still not out (delayed one month for bugs),
and that in japan, PSO is a Xbox live! launch title.

btw, PSO is not on the Us Xbox Live! launch title list of 6 games. So it won't be available on the 15th of November.

Mag_Launcher
Aug 13, 2002, 07:44 AM
Ooooooooooh, did he say what I just think he said?

F*** you, man, YOU'RE the fanboy, you f***in' lamer. I've seen your posts. And if you have a f***in' problem with me sticking up for Nintendo from all your fanboyishness, than don't f***in' post, you asswipe.

To be really honest, however, I DO own a PS2 and Xbox, and I play them every day, but when people deal out low blows at Nintendo, I get pissed, because GC gets bashed the most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2002-08-13 05:51 ]</font>

scu
Aug 13, 2002, 09:10 AM
so... it seems to me like we are arguing over something we a) can't control and b) we don't have all the facts yet.
sounds logical! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

have fun!!

Agent_Reav
Aug 13, 2002, 11:46 AM
Yes MAG seems to get upset quite a bit round here. Entering posts about Xbox and basically ranting and raving about silly childish things... To bad you can't block certain people from posting in ur threads.

Wren
Aug 14, 2002, 12:50 AM
here here Agent...i go away for 3 weeks and look who let out all the closet case fanboys...greg needs to change his IP number..make a new name..and get back in this game cuz i can't keep these morons (mag) at bay by myself

ChokingVictim
Aug 14, 2002, 08:32 AM
Mag.......the Nintendo dogma of it being beat on the most.....where's the proof in the pudding?...
you ever go to xbox forums? i doubt it cuz the nintendo fanboys spend a lot of time talking shit in there.
Singling out the xbox folks in response to anything negative said about your purple box is obscenely hypocritical.

you claim to own all 3 next gen systems then... and yet you talk about bb owners as if they're rolling around in money...
does that make any sense...?
and if you purchased them before the price cuts...you've spent roughly maybe a thousand to 1500 dollars in games and peripherals over the past 2 years...
most people i know own ...like ummm one system for any given period....
the pot calls the kettle black.

is there something wrong with people who can afford broadband... i could say cable tv costs just as much...i guess those millions of cable tv subscribers are all too 733+ to deal with broadcast signals like the common folk...much like all of us BB people who bought xbox's with one of the factors being BB and xbox live!

i guess we are all swimming in money then, caviar dreams baby...pass the courvasier

where are all these so-called xbox fanboy posts here you claim of...
could it be selective reading?..
i know as an xbox owner i see the negativity aimed at "my" system, some points holding merit- people at odds with voice chat or gripes on the controller, complaints about not having BB...

you know what, i dig having a hard-drive and a BB built in, i like the idea of real plan with some big pockets when it comes to a serious gaming network, i like the idea i can take advantage of my DSl connection, playing CS in my living room on a real tv appeals to me, where you can drink with your friends and be sociable whilst gaming. I fucking love the soundtrack option, playing THPS3 to the Misfits, Cramps or ANY CD i own and decide is a major plus.

i don't see any other systems putting out things like the DOA3 booster disc...
oh wait...they can't!

most major peripherals sell very poorly to systems...segaCD*cough*32X*cough*the N64DDHD...oh wait that last one never came out....cuz nintendo knew it would tank...

i bought an N64 mostly because of Goldeneye to be honest, the mario and banjo-kazooie's were great games and all...but nintendo blew it for me and many other gamers, although this was mostly due to their gambit to keep things cart based...how long did we have to wait for an RE port? and only the second one at that.

between that, that insane controller, no-DVD compatability(ps2's drivers are a f*cking mess and my player was fried at the time so that was a factor), and the lackluster screenshots of any first party material, mario sunshine graphics look way too 5 years ago, zelda...ack, metroid not even in-house... i go with the graet satan and buy one of those giant behemoth boxes...
oh shit, i just something remotely negative about nintendo and their system... i must be a fanboy...

why is it anyone who critisizes nintendo gets a steady stream of f-words from you.

the N64 really screwed nintendo, for as many points of innovation in the system, there were as many daggers for it to fall back on.
making it hard to develop for sent way too many developers to sony, and microsoft has it's eyes on sony more than nintendo most definitely..

some of those companies now have some solid ties to sony now, *cough*EA/Square*cough*.

if anyone should be trashing the other systems it should be the multitudes of PS2'rs..
for what they lose in hardware not being as new, or lacking HD there, poor online future, they make up for in comanies wanting to make games for the most sold, and hence popular system. it's cool and all that microsoft throws a few bones to encourage extras and bonuses for games ported to the system, with usually enhanced graphics and sound, but the PS2'r generally get the first crack at most of the pop culture games
GTA3 anyone?
i hate having to lose the RE series to a system i don't intend on purchasing anytime soon, and maybe my judgement is too soo to make a call on the new Zelda (I don't see it topping OoT for now), but I can live with Ninja Gaiden or Panzer Dragoon.

yes i think the xbox lineup is spotted with only a few real stand-outs, but E3 was promising

most people here have made their first choice in the next-gen war for out consumer dollars..

we'll truly know by december who has the best portfolio...

but mag, you're coming off as a major hypocrite here, maybe it's your wording and reliance on emotive, epithet-filled posts to anyone who complains about the gamecube in the slightest... talking shit occurs from all sides.. the gamecube camp being just as guilty in my eyes...i dunno, try switching to decaf or something

Agent_Reav
Aug 14, 2002, 12:22 PM
*Stands up, claps*

Hey ChokingVictim are you taking any apprentices? That was the most well worded and thought out post in this entire thread. I too own an Xbox and can see how it is much better at online gaming since it fully supports BB ONLY (Lag-Free Gaming at last!!) and brings in Voice chat (something I've been loving for years on PC)... But I'm not dissing the GC either. It has alot of good first party titles. Just cause I think the Xbox has a better online plan doesn't mean I hate GC or PS2 as they each have their own merits. Ppl here really need to stop the "Fanboy-Hunt"!

GaMMa
Aug 14, 2002, 05:06 PM
ChokingVictim good post. The good thing about no cross platform based servers is us Xbox users don't have to deal with the 56k Gamecube users and all the lag. Plus you guys would have a keyboard and we'd have a headset which wouldn't work.

Plus we all know how good of a job Sonic Team did banning hacking on their own, which will happen with the GC version of PSO. MS can atleast pressure SonicTeam to fix the servers. Also Xbox has support for updates, meaning anti hacking and duping patches to prevent this from happening. This isn't even possible on GC, if it happens you're screwed.

Also it is rumored that Xbox will use the HDD ability and have new downloadable weapons and clothing and what not... much like the DOA3 booster disk. Take that GCN fanboys!

Kent
Aug 14, 2002, 05:50 PM
On 2002-08-14 06:32, ChokingVictim wrote:
but mag, you're coming off as a major hypocrite here, maybe it's your wording and reliance on emotive, epithet-filled posts to anyone who complains about the gamecube in the slightest... talking shit occurs from all sides.

This is true.

He complains about fanboys, yet he seems to complain about the Xbox every chance he gets, and starts flaming anybody who posts a message stating they even remotely dislike the GameCube for any reason.

He also states that he "plays his PS2 and Xbox every day," which is most likely bullshit, but I wouldn't know. He might just be saying that to keep other people from flaming him, but he might be telling the truth (but that seems to be unlikely at this point).

GaMMa
Aug 14, 2002, 06:38 PM
Well why is he comparing and talking about Xbox? Maybe because it's a superior system... HDD, Ethernet Port, superior hardware, Xbox Live, better games/more developers, cooler exclusives...

Sure you can flame away, but everything I've said in the posts can't be argued about except for maybe the better games and cooler exclusives, which I realize is opionated. So flame away, Xbox has better hardware.

Malkavian
Aug 15, 2002, 10:06 AM
Say as a fact Xbox has better hardware is kinda fanboyish too

Mag_Launcher
Aug 15, 2002, 11:45 AM
Xbox does have the superior hardware in conoles, I know that (And the soundtrack option DOES kick ass.), but using that statement to make yourself sound like you're better than everyone else, THEN it's a fanboyish statement. I dunno, maybe I'm just too paranoid of people bashing the most bashed system. But it sounds like Gamma here is the real fanboy here. That's what I hate the most about the Xbox fanboys, it's not only the bashing, but the fact they think they are the hottest s*** on the block because they have one. And bashing PS2 just because of it's dated hardware? That's kind of stupid, really, PS2 has been more successful then Xbox and GC combined.

And yeah, I guess I am a hypocrite in some way. But hey, I own all the systems (Yeah, believe what you want, Reav, I don't care.), so I believe that gives me free right to criticize anyone for any system related reason.

ChokingVictim
Aug 15, 2002, 01:08 PM
not bashing the PS2's hardware. but the system did come out about a year before the other big 2. Given how processor speeds double almost every 18 months, that means something hardware-wise.

sony choose the most oppurtune time to put out a new system though, given the massive number of ps2 owners. so in the end, they're the one's who've prolly won the war.

Parn
Aug 15, 2002, 02:01 PM
Actually, PS2 won because they had the lineup of games people wanted. When the day ends, how powerful your system is doesn't mean anything when you don't have a decent lineup of games to play on it.

Hope you Xbox fans are more patient than ever, because PSO isn't on the list of launch titles for Xbox Live. *shrug*

Ian D
Aug 15, 2002, 02:11 PM
On 2002-08-15 12:01, Parn wrote:
Hope you Xbox fans are more patient than ever, because PSO isn't on the list of launch titles for Xbox Live. *shrug*

Poor little fellas...

WEBSTER
Aug 15, 2002, 03:21 PM
awwww thanks for your concern yoshi... but i can deal with mechassult, whacked, unreal, nba2k3, and ghost reckon while i wait for pso.... but it better get her before starwars galaxies cause i don't think i will be playing pso when that hits, no offence to the cube owners, i know thats like the only vertual world you will be getting for a loooong time, well untill nintendo decides to release poke mon kart or somethin like that. well atleast the new pso lobbies have chairs so you have something to do while you wait for your next online world, poor little purple box.

Ian D
Aug 15, 2002, 03:39 PM
On 2002-08-15 13:21, WEBSTER wrote:
awwww thanks for your concern yoshi... but i can deal with mechassult, whacked, unreal, nba2k3, and ghost reckon while i wait for pso.... but it better get her before starwars galaxies cause i don't think i will be playing pso when that hits, no offence to the cube owners, i know thats like the only vertual world you will be getting for a loooong time, well untill nintendo decides to release poke mon kart or somethin like that. well atleast the new pso lobbies have chairs so you have something to do while you wait for your next online world, poor little purple box.

Ouchu.

Agent_Reav
Aug 15, 2002, 04:37 PM
Harsh but true... Good thing i'm only letting my bro hold my Xbox for a year http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mag_Launcher
Aug 15, 2002, 11:12 PM
*Looks at WEBSTER*

Oh. OH. I see whassup now, trying to start a console war with your little Gamecube bashing post? If so... then it's working.

GaMMa
Aug 16, 2002, 12:10 AM
Told you guys that you'd call me a Xbox fanboy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I'm just saying Xbox hardware is superior... fanboyish statement or not it's true.

Malkavian
Aug 16, 2002, 08:45 AM
Xbox hardware is more expensive and bigger, that means superior? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2002-08-16 06:47 ]</font>

saffaya
Aug 16, 2002, 02:11 PM
Xbox hardware is more expensive

er ... no.
GC : $149
BBA: $34.95
Mem card(59) : $14.95
---------------------
Total ~$200

Xbox : $200

Agent_Reav
Aug 16, 2002, 08:39 PM
On 2002-08-16 06:45, Malkavian wrote:
Xbox hardware is more expensive and bigger, that means superior? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Um actually it's superior because it can push alot more polys than the GC can and can render 7 layers on a texture per swipe (from GPU to CPU).... Xbox is a better system hardware wise it's a fact (go check out a specs sheet) but game-wise it depends on what kind of games you like.

Malkavian
Aug 17, 2002, 08:45 AM
Im not a hardware king, but i see that xbox hardware isn't completely superior.
GC do 8 layers of that you said.

And well one thing that is true is gamecube is more technologically advanced.

And XBOX is way more expensive, Microsoft lose money with each unit sold, and Nintendo already started to win money with the GC

ChokingVictim
Aug 17, 2002, 08:46 AM
in America, bigger is always better... look at the ranks of our fat obese youth, meal portions , mega movie googooplexes,and our giant SUVs...

of course our game systems are going to be absurdly monolithic...

WEBSTER
Aug 17, 2002, 11:37 AM
On 2002-08-15 21:12, Mag_Launcher wrote:
*Looks at WEBSTER*

Oh. OH. I see whassup now, trying to start a console war with your little Gamecube bashing post? If so... then it's working.

*Looks at Mag_Launcher*

where have you been for the last 6 or so months.....console war.... lol.... there is no war, from where i stand the war is over.

On 2002-08-17 06:45, Malkavian wrote:

And XBOX is way more expensive, Microsoft lose money with each unit sold, and Nintendo already started to win money with the GC

you truely know how to make one laugh, thanks for puttin a smile on my face.

GaMMa
Aug 17, 2002, 11:59 AM
No offense to GC owners, but the small purple box can't do crap. It's running outdated hardware that really should have been released at the same time the Dreamcast was. Trust me I was a big N64 fanboy way back when, but then looking at the graphic comparison of games between Xbox, Ps2 and GC I really didn't want a GC anymore. SSB:M doesn't really even look that great, I expected a better improvment. Sure the characters are WAY more detailed, but look at the backgrounds. MM mountains consisting of 3 polygons.

Another thing you GC owners always use... "Residenet Evil" has the best graphics of them all.... Resident Evil can't be used as a game to compare to due to the fact that all the backgrounds are prerendered... This game could have been done on Dreamcast.

Malkavian
Aug 17, 2002, 01:00 PM
LOL a IBM Power pc 0.18 micras gekko is more outpassed than a crappy intel celeron? LOL

On 2002-08-17 09:37, WEBSTER wrote:

On 2002-08-17 06:45, Malkavian wrote:

you truely know how to make one laugh, thanks for puttin a smile on my face.

Well I only said the truth in that, xbox hardware cost is higher than gc, no mistery in here.

If DC can handle RE remake and RE 0 why there's any game that looks like those in DC or PS2? Onimusha is a lot worse in terms of graphics

heh is funny people complaining about the scenarios in SSBM, well if you can't understand they keep fidelity to the old scenarios to look more like playing in those old nintendo games....
And well SSBM is the best game in his type, rivals? Power stone 2? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Is funny peopel say GC hasn't better hardware than DC and they say fanboyish or not is true http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Mag_Launcher
Aug 17, 2002, 01:06 PM
WEBSTER, YOU are a fanboy.
You know what? Screw it, I quit, i'm tired of fighting this crap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mag_Launcher on 2002-08-17 12:02 ]</font>

WEBSTER
Aug 18, 2002, 03:19 AM
well it about time Mag, go have a winecooler and relax, you deserve it.

as for the fanboy thingy, i think it has gotten a little old, it seems when people can't come up with a good solid replie they resort to fanboy.... i guess in some ways i am a fanboy..... of pso, cause who else has done a full production pso comic, not many, thats a true fan.

and hey after you finish your winecooler maybe i will see you on xbox live we will go aquestin, since you do own all 3 major systems, i guess you are the most bias gamer in here. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mag_Launcher
Aug 18, 2002, 06:52 AM
Well, actually, I've been thinking of holding off on PSO for a while. Since GTAVC has become something WAY better then some crap remake.

I won't be on Xbox live anytime soon, due to the fact I have no broadband. (dammit...) But if I did, you'd see me in Halo 2 or UC. (But... there's no telling how good I can play... I'd end up getting 0wnzed most of the time, anyway.)

Ness
Aug 18, 2002, 10:29 AM
On 2002-08-05 14:56, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Yes, but Xbox with Gamecube online play is something I would say "HELL NO" to. Those people are good enough on their own, they don't need to be infecting other system's servers with their fanboyishness. So, I'm quite glad Microsoft is keeping them in their own little servers, they don't need to be anywhere else.

(cough)fanboy(cough)

Even thoguth Xbox live is a closed circuit, I wouldn't care either way if they did have severs that shared with GC and/or PS2. Cheating is inevitable, not matter what system you have.

ChokingVictim
Aug 18, 2002, 02:33 PM
any word on a device like the vmu you could hook up to a USB port for any of the newer systems? something like the dex-drive or whatever... i think pso DC dodged a bullet considering the devices never had the chance to sell given the systems impending death...

if they start making them for GC and xbox, legit online gaming could receive a serious black eye...

think about it, someone's gonna learn how to tweak the data so that one could in essence start up a char, save, quit, copy the file to his or her hard-drive, tweak it weapon, stats, and armor-wise..and send themselves in to battle as a lvl 1 with the weapons and stats of a lvl 100, blowing thru the diffuculties like a hot knife through butter, secure themselves a nice level "legitly" obtained...

very possible, as long as some people have enough free time on their hands to be the first to do it....

then open those floodgates...

Wewt
Aug 18, 2002, 03:05 PM
All of the above has already been done. You don't need to hook it up to a PC, there are certain cheat code sites, that give you the codes to do those things via a cheat device on consoles...

WEBSTER
Aug 19, 2002, 01:06 AM
On 2002-08-18 04:52, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Well, actually, I've been thinking of holding off on PSO for a while. Since GTAVC has become something WAY better then some crap remake.

I won't be on Xbox live anytime soon, due to the fact I have no broadband. (dammit...) But if I did, you'd see me in Halo 2 or UC. (But... there's no telling how good I can play... I'd end up getting 0wnzed most of the time, anyway.)

i can't wait to see how GTAVC turns out.... and kool hope to see you on halo 2, the in game screen shots look better then most CG movie in any FF cut scene ( i use FF for ref cause they got some nice CG), i only played the first halo a few times, at my friends house.... but it was really sweet from what i played and from what i heard of the new one, halo2, it only gets alot better, cause the battle ground is now earth... as for dsl/ broadband, i don't have that yet either, but i will be getting soon cause of xbox live.... hopefully you can get broadband before starwars galexies comes out, that game sounds like i will be spending alot of my pso hours on, i had like 4,000 hour raked up in pso on the dc and that had only 4 stages, so just imagin a game where you can go anywhere in the star wars universe, no real set stages, just worlds to explore and wump rats to blast with thousands of people to run into that you don't need to tele into lobbies to meet, it just sounds like to much of a good game. i am not a jedi yet but hopefully in that game i will be, aw i can't wait !!

Parn
Aug 19, 2002, 01:25 AM
How many MMORPGs have you played? If none, you'll get to look forward to, and learn about the wonderful world of nerfing, spawn-camping, kill stealing, dead time, and ninja looting that plagues MMORPGs everywhere!

MMORPGs are usually fun for the first month or two, because everything's so novel... then suddenly out of nowhere, reality sets in. Look at that... you've visited all the expansive lands... what now? Balance issues in PVP become evident... there's tons of jerks around, but unlike PSO or Diablo II, you can't hide in a password-protected game.

The list goes on and on... MMORPGs try to model elements of reality, and that's the biggest problem with them. PSO's the fastest moving online game I've played with Diablo II right alongside it, and games in PSO/Diablo II's style are the REAL future of online RPGs, if you ask me. Unless you really get a kick out of pushing a button to attack a monster and just sit there while numbers scroll across the screen. It isn't any wonder I don't have any fond memories of my time spent on Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, or the recently played Ragnarok Online (which I only touched because I was bored, and am without a BBA to go online with my Dreamcast).

So... yeah. End of rant about "awesome" MMORPGs.

ChokingVictim
Aug 20, 2002, 09:52 AM
bah, MMORPG's suckin? race-war servers on EQ used to be fun as hell. all about getting the jump on someone thinking they're safe at at spawn leveling up then procede to cap their ass...aiiight

Malkavian
Aug 20, 2002, 11:21 AM
Well I think Parn should add that maybe some people can like it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
hehe is true many people play mmorpgs and enjoy them, but I have same opinion than parn about mmorpgs

Wren
Aug 21, 2002, 09:03 PM
Webster even though you are in love with the Xbox and i am not...your posts still crack me up..thanks for the hard work of holding a mirror to the stupid people here

WEBSTER
Aug 21, 2002, 11:57 PM
this was one of the koolist most opinionated post I have had the chance to read lately, thank you for helping me relize the errors of my ways , keep up the good work Porn.

On 2002-08-18 23:25, Parn wrote:
How many MMORPGs have you played? If none, you'll get to look forward to, and learn about the wonderful world of nerfing, spawn-camping, kill stealing, dead time, and ninja looting that plagues MMORPGs everywhere!

MMORPGs are usually fun for the first month or two, because everything's so novel... then suddenly out of nowhere, reality sets in. Look at that... you've visited all the expansive lands... what now? Balance issues in PVP become evident... there's tons of jerks around, but unlike PSO or Diablo II, you can't hide in a password-protected game.

The list goes on and on... MMORPGs try to model elements of reality, and that's the biggest problem with them. PSO's the fastest moving online game I've played with Diablo II right alongside it, and games in PSO/Diablo II's style are the REAL future of online RPGs, if you ask me. Unless you really get a kick out of pushing a button to attack a monster and just sit there while numbers scroll across the screen. It isn't any wonder I don't have any fond memories of my time spent on Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, or the recently played Ragnarok Online (which I only touched because I was bored, and am without a BBA to go online with my Dreamcast).

So... yeah. End of rant about "awesome" MMORPGs.

How much PSO have you played? If none, you'll get to look forward to, and learn about the wonderful levels of NOL'ing, CK'ed, PK'ed, BSOD's, lag poppin d/c, and FSOD's that plagues PSOs everywhere!

PSO is usually fun for the first month or two, because everything's so novel... then suddenly out of nowhere, reality sets in. Look at that... you've visited all the 4 stages, i mean eight and reran throu the same stages in challenge mode... what now? Balance issues in ultimate become evident... there's tons of big letter bubble jerks around, but unlike SW:GALIXIES(on xbox live http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ), you can't just silence them forever with a tap of a button.

The list goes on and on... PSO tries to be limited in its lenier reality, and that's the biggest problem with it. PSO's the must redundent online game I've played with Diablo II right alongside it, and games in PSO/Diablo II's style are very ARCADE feeling and not the future of online RPGs, if you ask me. Unless you really get a kick out of pushing a button to attack a monster and just sit there while numbers scroll up while you do your only three repetative attacks . It isn't any wonder I don't have any fond memories of my time spent PSO, PSOver2, or the earliest version of the game import PSO (which I never touched because I was bored, and went out side and had a life away from the the couch).

So... yeah. End of rant about "awesome" PSO.

Spy
Aug 22, 2002, 01:18 AM
I think you are all missing the big picture here.

I'm no Xbox fan, but if they open the source for people to create their own game servers... my GOD that would be awesome. Can anyone say neighborhood-wide gaming WAN?

*Drool*

Parn
Aug 22, 2002, 03:14 AM
On 2002-08-21 21:57, WEBSTER wrote:
this was one of the koolist most opinionated post I have had the chance to read lately, thank you for helping me relize the errors of my ways , keep up the good work Porn.

You're a real piece of work in the originality department. But since we're going to take cheapshots, next time push the caps lock key one more time when creating a username, fucking idiot.

How much PSO have you played? If none, you'll get to look forward to, and learn about the wonderful levels of NOL'ing, CK'ed, PK'ed, BSOD's, lag poppin d/c, and FSOD's that plagues PSOs everywhere!

Of which only two of the mentioned things are actually due to faulty programming, the rest being from outside means (read: Code Breaker). And all of this is going to be addressed in one way or another.

Of course, if we want to discuss cheating, I suppose I can bring up some exploits used in Anarchy Online and Ultima Online.

PSO is usually fun for the first month or two, because everything's so novel... then suddenly out of nowhere, reality sets in. Look at that... you've visited all the 4 stages, i mean eight and reran throu the same stages in challenge mode... what now?

I figured it'd fly right over your head. Let's spell it out for you.

In all MMORPGs, people tend to explore various lands... once they settle in after a month or two and everything's seen, what do they start doing? They start hitting the dungeons consistently... which is precisely what PSO is based entirely around. It skips the bullshit and goes straight to what matters, the redundant dungeon hacking.

Balance issues in ultimate become evident...

Which is being addressed in the new release.

there's tons of big letter bubble jerks around, but unlike SW:GALIXIES(on xbox live http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ), you can't just silence them forever with a tap of a button.

Which is being addressed in the new release.

The list goes on and on... PSO tries to be limited in its lenier reality, and that's the biggest problem with it.

You might want to consider the dictionary brand of your own namesake, because the word is linear. Your statement doesn't make any sense anyways.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume what you meant, and to that I can't help but laugh. Don't give me that nonsense about how open-ended and non-linear MMORPGs are. At the very core, they're all dungeon hacks. Sure, you can customize your characters and all this other nonsense, but at the core, you're doing the same redundant shit. I still laugh to myself about how Anarchy Online's story was in the "players' control" but actually is nothing more than a few events here and there by the staff that are impossible to influence, and lots of random dungeon hacking in between.

PSO's the must redundent online game I've played with Diablo II right alongside it, and games in PSO/Diablo II's style are very ARCADE feeling and not the future of online RPGs, if you ask me.

All online games are redundant. MMORPGs so-called ever changing worlds are just people coming and going much like PSO's populace. Being able to put a house somewhere that's inconsequential to the atmosphere is meaningless, ala Ultima Online.

Unless you really get a kick out of pushing a button to attack a monster and just sit there while numbers scroll up while you do your only three repetative attacks.

Not quite my friend. There's tactics involved in PSO. I can run to the backside of a hildebear and avoid getting pounded. I can dodge the lasers Dark Gunners fire. I can move aside when a Chaos Bringer charges toward me.

MMORPGs are entirely die-roll-based. Your gaming skill is replaced by a numerical skill on the screen in MMORPGs. I can fight hundreds of skeletons, and even maxed out, I still can get hit by them regularly in Ultima Online. It's pretty bad when a fucking boar can hurt you through a full suit of platemail armor and holding a heater shield.

It isn't any wonder I don't have any fond memories of my time spent PSO, PSOver2, or the earliest version of the game import PSO (which I never touched because I was bored, and went out side and had a life away from the the couch).

What utter nonsense. If you didn't enjoy your time with PSO, why would you be in line for seconds?

So... yeah. End of rant about "awesome" PSO.

Someone's in denial. Yeah, because all of us regularly visit sites and message boards based on games we don't like.

Agent_Reav
Aug 23, 2002, 12:10 AM
I do agree with alot of things WEBSTER has stated... PSO needs a complete overhaul. While I'll definetly still play it for now I hope SEGA has something brand new for us (as promised) in the future. Perhaps a brand new fighting system? Perhaps a huge world (ala Morrowind)... What I'm trying to get to is that PSO is fine for now but there are alot of things that need to be changed and I don't think alot of people will be sticking around if the next PSO just has some new levels and weapons :/

WEBSTER
Aug 29, 2002, 05:22 AM
APPARENTLY YOU JUST DIDN'T GET IT, JUST CAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE A CERTAIN TYPE OF GAME DOESN'T MEAN SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T, I TRIED TO SHOW YA HOW OPIONATED YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT WAS BY JUST SIMPLEY REVERSING YOUR RANT, APPARENTLY YOU DIDNT REALIZE THE OBVIOUS, HOWS THAT FOR CAPS.

On 2002-08-22 01:14, Parn wrote:

You're a real piece of work in the originality department. But since we're going to take cheapshots, next time push the caps lock key one more time when creating a username, fucking idiot.

PORN http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Of which only two of the mentioned things are actually due to faulty programming, the rest being from outside means (read: Code Breaker). And all of this is going to be addressed in one way or another.

THANKS FOR THAT CLEAR UP, THAT INFO IS VERY HELPFULL AND HERES HOPING SEGA DOES TAKE BETTER CARE OF THERE SERVERS, ONLY TIME WILL TELL .

Of course, if we want to discuss cheating, I suppose I can bring up some exploits used in Anarchy Online and Ultima Online.

YOU MEAN THERE IS ACTUAL CHEATING ON OTHER ONLINE GAMES, ZOWEY.

I figured it'd fly right over your head. Let's spell it out for you.

In all MMORPGs, people tend to explore various lands... once they settle in after a month or two and everything's seen, what do they start doing? They start hitting the dungeons consistently... which is precisely what PSO is based entirely around. It skips the bullshit and goes straight to what matters, the redundant dungeon hacking.

GEE I DON'T REMEMBER PEOPLE TALKIN ABOUT THE FUN OF CAVES, I GUESS THATS WHY SEGA IS MAKING MORE OUTDOOR STAGES, USUALLY PEOPLE IN PSO TEND TO HIT THE FOREST LEVEL REPEATEDLY, WHICH PEOPLE TEND TO EXPLORE, POP OPEN A FEW CRATES, AND PASS IN UNDER A HALF HOUR.

You might want to consider the dictionary brand of your own namesake, because the word is linear. Your statement doesn't make any sense anyways.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume what you meant, and to that I can't help but laugh. Don't give me that nonsense about how open-ended and non-linear MMORPGs are. At the very core, they're all dungeon hacks. Sure, you can customize your characters and all this other nonsense, but at the core, you're doing the same redundant shit. I still laugh to myself about how Anarchy Online's story was in the "players' control" but actually is nothing more than a few events here and there by the staff that are impossible to influence, and lots of random dungeon hacking in between.

I AM HAPPY THROUGH THE MARICAL OF THE POWERS THAT BE YOU WERE ABLE TO ASSUME WHAT I MENT, YOU ARE CRAFTY. BOY I MUST HAVE REALLY HIT A NERVE WHEN I TRIED TO SAY LENEAR, WELL AT LEAST IN EPISODE TWO YOU WILL BE ABLE TO READ MORE OF RINGOS DISKS THAT LAY BETWEEN THE FOUR NEW STAGES, I AM SURE THAT HAS THE ILLUSION OF OPEN ENDED ROLEPLAYING....... SORRY NEVER PLAYED ANARCHY ONLINE, BUT I PLAYED SHENMUE AND SEGA SAID THAT WAS A VERY OPEN ENDED GAME, SURE AS LONG AS YOU DIDN'T LEAVE THE ARCADE, WHAT DID SEGA CALL IT, OH THATS RIGHT, -FREE- FULL REACTIVE EYES ENTERTAINMENT, SURELY NEITHER OF THEM IS A MARROWIND, MAYBE I AM JUST EXPECTING TO MUCH FROM THE FUTURE OF PSO.

All online games are redundant. MMORPGs so-called ever changing worlds are just people coming and going much like PSO's populace. Being able to put a house somewhere that's inconsequential to the atmosphere is meaningless, ala Ultima Online.

I GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT, WHO NEEDS A HOUSE WHEN YOU CAN WARP IN AND OUT OF LOBBIES.

Not quite my friend. There's tactics involved in PSO. I can run to the backside of a hildebear and avoid getting pounded. I can dodge the lasers Dark Gunners fire. I can move aside when a Chaos Bringer charges toward me.

MMORPGs are entirely die-roll-based. Your gaming skill is replaced by a numerical skill on the screen in MMORPGs. I can fight hundreds of skeletons, and even maxed out, I still can get hit by them regularly in Ultima Online. It's pretty bad when a fucking boar can hurt you through a full suit of platemail armor and holding a heater shield.

WE ALL KNOW THE MECHANICS OF PSO AND HOW IT PLAYS, AND WHO ARE YOU KIDDING, THIS AIN'T NO METAL GEAR OR TENCHU, LOL, DODGE, YOU MEAN RUN, THERE IS NO SIDESTEPPIN NO DODGING JUST RUNING....OH NO WAIT YOU CAN ALSO WALK.

LIKE LIFE, EVERYTHING HAPPENS BY CHANCE, ALA THE DIE ROLL, ITS AWAY TO RANDOMLY START YOUR CHARACTER OFF, BUT UNLIKE LIFE YOU CAN REROLL, DON'T LIKE YOUR STATS, REROLL TILL YOUR HAPPY AND THEN START. AND ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THE BOAR HURTIN YA WHILE YOU WERE WEARING PLATEMAIL ARMOR, IS TO LEVEL YOUR ARMOR STATS MORE, THAT MIGHT HELP, GOOD LUCK.

What utter nonsense. If you didn't enjoy your time with PSO, why would you be in line for seconds?

LOL, WOWWY YOU SURE GOT ME.

Someone's in denial. Yeah, because all of us regularly visit sites and message boards based on games we don't like.

AGAIN YA GOT ME, YOU SO QUICK, NOTHING GETS PAST YA. I HOPE THIS WASN'T TO LOUD FOR YOU, I KNOW YOU HAVE A THING AGAINST CAP LETTERS.

Agent_Reav
Aug 29, 2002, 08:57 PM
*Falls over and goes into massive seizure from all the laughter WEBSTER has bestowed upon him* Excellent post man... I too think PSO needs to evolve past it's simplistic roots... Especially after playing the beauty that is Morrowind.

Parn
Aug 29, 2002, 11:01 PM
On 2002-08-29 03:22, WEBSTER wrote:
APPARENTLY YOU JUST DIDN'T GET IT, JUST CAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE A CERTAIN TYPE OF GAME DOESN'T MEAN SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T,

And when did I say you can't like MMORPGs? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

I TRIED TO SHOW YA HOW OPIONATED YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT WAS BY JUST SIMPLEY REVERSING YOUR RANT, APPARENTLY YOU DIDNT REALIZE THE OBVIOUS, HOWS THAT FOR CAPS

Your statement that Star Wars Galaxies is going to be awesome is just as opinionated. Of course, at least I can back my statements up with some information about my experiences with MMORPGs. What do you have? A few sarcastic remarks in caps. Wow.

PORN http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sorry, I don't bother looking at it. I'd retort with something much harder-hitting but, the moderators don't need more work.

THANKS FOR THAT CLEAR UP, THAT INFO IS VERY HELPFULL AND HERES HOPING SEGA DOES TAKE BETTER CARE OF THERE SERVERS, ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

And?

YOU MEAN THERE IS ACTUAL CHEATING ON OTHER ONLINE GAMES, ZOWEY.

Indeed, seeing as how you tried to use that as leverage as a fault against PSO. You're not very good at debating.

GEE I DON'T REMEMBER PEOPLE TALKIN ABOUT THE FUN OF CAVES, I GUESS THATS WHY SEGA IS MAKING MORE OUTDOOR STAGES, USUALLY PEOPLE IN PSO TEND TO HIT THE FOREST LEVEL REPEATEDLY, WHICH PEOPLE TEND TO EXPLORE, POP OPEN A FEW CRATES, AND PASS IN UNDER A HALF HOUR.

The forest stage is technically still a "dungeon area". You have no free-roaming ability. There are boundaries and only certain paths to get from point A to point B.

Of course, this doesn't refute my point from the previous post anyways.

I AM HAPPY THROUGH THE MARICAL OF THE POWERS THAT BE YOU WERE ABLE TO ASSUME WHAT I MENT, YOU ARE CRAFTY. BOY I MUST HAVE REALLY HIT A NERVE WHEN I TRIED TO SAY LENEAR, WELL AT LEAST IN EPISODE TWO YOU WILL BE ABLE TO READ MORE OF RINGOS DISKS THAT LAY BETWEEN THE FOUR NEW STAGES, I AM SURE THAT HAS THE ILLUSION OF OPEN ENDED ROLEPLAYING....... SORRY NEVER PLAYED ANARCHY ONLINE, BUT I PLAYED SHENMUE AND SEGA SAID THAT WAS A VERY OPEN ENDED GAME, SURE AS LONG AS YOU DIDN'T LEAVE THE ARCADE, WHAT DID SEGA CALL IT, OH THATS RIGHT, -FREE- FULL REACTIVE EYES ENTERTAINMENT, SURELY NEITHER OF THEM IS A MARROWIND, MAYBE I AM JUST EXPECTING TO MUCH FROM THE FUTURE OF PSO.

Morrowind isn't an online game.

And, you don't know the difference between a provided storyline and role-playing it seems.

I GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT, WHO NEEDS A HOUSE WHEN YOU CAN WARP IN AND OUT OF LOBBIES.

Doesn't change the situation.

WE ALL KNOW THE MECHANICS OF PSO AND HOW IT PLAYS, AND WHO ARE YOU KIDDING, THIS AIN'T NO METAL GEAR OR TENCHU, LOL, DODGE, YOU MEAN RUN, THERE IS NO SIDESTEPPIN NO DODGING JUST RUNING....OH NO WAIT YOU CAN ALSO WALK.

My statement still applies just fine. You apparently have never played a MMORPG in your life.

LIKE LIFE, EVERYTHING HAPPENS BY CHANCE, ALA THE DIE ROLL, ITS AWAY TO RANDOMLY START YOUR CHARACTER OFF, BUT UNLIKE LIFE YOU CAN REROLL, DON'T LIKE YOUR STATS, REROLL TILL YOUR HAPPY AND THEN START.

What exactly is this supposed to be addressing?

AND ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THE BOAR HURTIN YA WHILE YOU WERE WEARING PLATEMAIL ARMOR, IS TO LEVEL YOUR ARMOR STATS MORE, THAT MIGHT HELP, GOOD LUCK.

I thought I made it clear that I couldn't get more powerful.

It's just an example of the problems with MMORPGs, and classic RPGs in general. No matter how powerful I get or how experienced a gamer I am, I'm still vunerable to the roll of the die. I select attack, and I watch numbers roll across the screen. For some MMORPGs, I can use a special move or three, but can I dodge and avoid that goblin's attacks and learn how they fight after having killed a million of them? Nope, still vunerable to the roll of the die. I'll get hit occasionally, and will have absolutely NO control over that.

In PSO's case, I can be below level, but still take out that Hildebear. How? Tactics. I avoid the monster's front to avoid getting hit. The game still relies on a little bit of die rolling, but it isn't entirely reliant, and MY experience as a player has a big role in the outcome of the battle. If I get hit, it's because I made a mistake, not because I happened to roll a 1 instead of a 6. The game mechanics are therefore, superior.

LOL, WOWWY YOU SURE GOT ME.

Sure did. Not only have you not refuted a single point, but all you've managed to do is type in caps and make one board poster who apparently is easily amused laugh a few times. Congrats.

AGAIN YA GOT ME, YOU SO QUICK, NOTHING GETS PAST YA. I HOPE THIS WASN'T TO LOUD FOR YOU, I KNOW YOU HAVE A THING AGAINST CAP LETTERS.

Thanks for this delicious flamebait. Not everyone is willing to spend time to address me in such a manner.

As for you Reaver:

*Falls over and goes into massive seizure from all the laughter WEBSTER has bestowed upon him* Excellent post man... I too think PSO needs to evolve past it's simplistic roots... Especially after playing the beauty that is Morrowind.

If all it takes is someone typing in all caps and using a few weak sarcastic comments to make you laugh out of control, you must be pretty easily amused.

So why are you going to buy PSO? Why not continue playing Morrowind?

I bet I know exactly why. Morrowind's combat engine sucks immensely. It's barely a step above a MMORPG combat engine.

MMORPGs can be entertaining, but they are considerably flawed beyond belief. They get you to do the most redundant and tedious tasks to gain a tiny bit of skill, many of these equivalent to the mediocrity of a real life job which you could get paid for. You think trying to get to level 200 in PSOV2 is a chore? Just wait until you start playing a MMORPG, because that's exactly what skill building in MMORPGs is like!

How many MMORPGs have either of you actually played, and for how long?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2002-08-29 21:10 ]</font>

Buffy
Aug 30, 2002, 07:03 AM
This is all most amusing! The idea that continually reiterating your own point will somehow make the other person see things your way ... priceless!
I've read every post and they really brightened up my day -- thank you all for sharing http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I'll be selective in the topics I give my opinion on, as this thread seems to have covered about 6 different topics so far.

Fanboys -- I really don't have the time nor the inclination to get worked up over this. If someone likes their particular console then fine. If they get excited about the number of turbo screen bitmap polygon whatevers it can perform in one nanosecond ... then equally fine. It really is up to them. As long as it doesn't directly affect me, people can say and do what they like. It's harmless.

PSO vs 'classic RPGs' -- I can appreciate both game types for their different styles. I understand Parn's point completely in that the player's skill will often make up for their low level when facing a seemingly impossible foe. However, that's just one side of the coin (or roll of the die if you prefer ... )
Games which are dice-driven can be equally as fun but in a different way. It depends on what you expect from a game and what your preferred 'style' is. I think it's rather amusing to claim that one is superior to the other; what you mean is that one is superior to the other in your opinion. Different strokes and all that ...

Anyway, those are just my opinions. They won't change the world and they certainly won't change your mind if you previously disagreed with anything I've said.

~B.

rbf2000
Aug 30, 2002, 07:44 AM
Cool.