PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Rare enemy appearance rates

Tycho
Jun 23, 2005, 03:49 PM
... Whoa, I'm actually making a poll.

We've all read about the rare enemy appearance rates in Blue Burst being different than those in v3, and that the EP4 appearance rates may be independant of the EP1&2 rates. Now, I've heard about rates like 1/128 and 1/256, but from my experience, the rate is probably worse than 1/128.
Am I just unlucky? Who knows, I see only one way to figure this out.
So I'd like to ask anyone that is playing Blue Burst, from your experiences, what do you think is the rare enemy appearance rate (REAR?) for EP1&2 of Blue Burst?

I hope we can manage to clear this matter up, it's good to know when trying to compare droprates from rare enemies to those from regular enemies. x_x;

Neith
Jun 23, 2005, 03:58 PM
I've said 1/512. To be honest, I haven't seen any more rare enemies in BB than I have in GC. I get lucky encounters, but I wouldn't say it's as easy as 1/128...

It could be 1/256, but from personal experience, I haven't noticed any difference =S

Sitka
Jun 23, 2005, 04:10 PM
I've been tracking and I'm thinking 1/512 is about right.

So far, 3 Hildeblues, 4 Al Rappies, 4 Nar Lilys and 0 Red Slimes - and that's in a ton of play.

No different than what I can remember from other versions.

Dana
Jun 23, 2005, 04:15 PM
to be it would make sense if it was lower...no piping but also if it was the same(why need to change it)

maybe...i can't say...when i played BB i didn't fight any rares and i went again more than 100+ lillies so i guess it's over 100:P

Silver_Wyrm
Jun 23, 2005, 04:21 PM
Ive seen 2 hildeblues easily around 20 nar lily's no al rappy's (Havent seen these in any version of the game O.o) and 3 red slimes compared to the gc I could easily say I think it may be a better chance but definately not 1/256...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silver_Wyrm on 2005-06-23 14:21 ]</font>

drizzle
Jun 23, 2005, 04:26 PM
I haven't seen any evidence that the appearance rate is higher than on GC, myself.

Quo
Jun 23, 2005, 04:37 PM
Here's a not-so-quick way to test.

Everybody do FiY runs and record the number of Al rappys over the number of runs.

We'll compile everyone's data, find an average, and that'll be something near the appearance rate. It won't be exact, but it'll give us a ball park figure and from that we can judge which value (1/512, 1/256) is a better estimate.

Fossil
Jun 23, 2005, 04:39 PM
I don't play BB, but just from all the topics I've seen on rare enemy encounters, snapshots of them, etc, I'd say it seems more common for rare enemies to pop up on BB than the other versions.

MT7218
Jun 23, 2005, 05:06 PM
Despite that Redria Temple Nars hate me, I think the rate for rare enemy appearences is indeed better than they were on GC. I rember playing MA1 a ton on GC, and I found about 2-3 Mil Lillies, a Hildeblue or two, no red slimes. In MA1 on BB, I've found countless Nars, a decent amount of blues, still no rare slimes (Never split them, anyhow.) Be it luck or not, that's defenatly more rare enemies appearing.

Tycho
Jun 23, 2005, 05:38 PM
On 2005-06-23 14:37, Quo wrote:
Here's a not-so-quick way to test.

Everybody do FiY runs and record the number of Al rappys over the number of runs.

We'll compile everyone's data, find an average, and that'll be something near the appearance rate. It won't be exact, but it'll give us a ball park figure and from that we can judge which value (1/512, 1/256) is a better estimate.

Seems like a good way to find out, especially since it's easy experience as well (and, well, rare rappies). I'd rather do this when Ultimate is released though. Anyone with me? o.o

Neith
Jun 23, 2005, 05:48 PM
When Ult is released, I don't mind doing this; I need to do a lot of FiY runs anyway.

Sitka
Jun 23, 2005, 06:06 PM
As I mentioned Tycho, I've been informally doing it with quite a few FiY and FOS runs.

I have to level my Redria Fonewm up so he can start collecting some VH drops, so I'll start keeping track with some H FIY runs.

Hrith
Jun 23, 2005, 07:54 PM
I've just gone through over 1100 Lilies for a Nar, and after 700+ slimes, not a single Pouilly.

1/256, my leg ?

AxelgearVII
Jun 23, 2005, 08:35 PM
Whoever posts the appearance rate at less than 1/512 is luckier than me and therefore needs to be shot.

Tycho
Jun 23, 2005, 08:52 PM
On 2005-06-23 18:35, AxelgearVIII wrote:
Whoever posts the appearance rate at less than 1/512 is luckier than me and therefore needs to be shot.

Well, they out-voted you. XP
I wonder who did, though.

Blitzkommando
Jun 23, 2005, 09:04 PM
I've played BB for about 160 hours in-game time now. And even so I have seen a whopping total of 5 rare enemies. 1/512 seems corret to me still.

Hrith
Jun 23, 2005, 09:47 PM
Well, in hard MA1 (AOL cup) I saw a whole lot of rare monsters, even two Hildeblues, while 1) there aren't many hildebears and 2) I usually did not clear Forest 2.

I aslo saw a lot of Al Rappies in my Rappy's Wings hunts, I saw more than 1 every 256, so I really thought it was right.

but Very Hard mode... may just hate me, it feels like dreamcast X|

Quo
Jun 23, 2005, 09:57 PM
If it can change between episodes, can it change between difficulties?

TheNewestBooM
Jun 23, 2005, 10:27 PM
man, im lvl 58 and ive only seen 3 rare enemies; a hildablue, an al rappy, and a nar lilly. each time, none of them dropped any rare... i dunno what the deal is; i can never find rares! i always get stuck with wanna be rares; like today, in hard forest, i got 5 amps 3 barta 2 foie. whats the deal? its boogus thats the deal...

Saffran
Jun 24, 2005, 01:00 AM
Quo, I feel like that too.

In normal, the rate actually might be 1/256. But it gets worse with the difficulty rising.

PSO_Komodo
Jun 24, 2005, 03:28 AM
I done some 30 Todays Rate runs. Out of 1000 Lillies 2 were Nar, and they were both actually within 1 run of each other and around the 500 mark. I'd have to go for 1/512.

With pouilly slimes, I got one after about 175 slimes, and Im now at roughly 340 slime kills with only 1 pouilly so far. Looks like 1/512 also.

Personally I would have thought the rates would be different for each monster, and I would also say that they are different depending on the difficulty.

Hrith
Jun 24, 2005, 03:53 AM
On 2005-06-23 23:00, Saffran wrote:
In normal, the rate actually might be 1/256. But it gets worse with the difficulty rising.It never has, for any PSO version, so I highly doubt it.

Tycho
Jun 24, 2005, 04:36 AM
On 2005-06-23 19:47, Kef wrote:
in my Rappy's Wings hunts
That's so much more for losers than my HU's mechs. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Hrith
Jun 24, 2005, 05:06 AM
It was the easiest way to get team points in hard mode, f00l

Tycho
Jun 24, 2005, 08:45 AM
Mechs (especially the ones I already have, unlike some uber HU weapons) are the easiest way for HU's to kill a single target, j00 f00l.

Ryna
Jun 24, 2005, 09:18 AM
Now now, let's not get off-topic.

Anyways, the only way to do this would be to keep track of rare enemies you've seen and the number of monsters killed (counting only the monsters that can have a rare variant).

Several hundred observations would have to be used in order to get a good estimate.

Trying to determine a number based on a couple or few encounters is ludicrous.

Skorpius
Jun 24, 2005, 10:05 AM
On 2005-06-24 01:53, Kef wrote:

On 2005-06-23 23:00, Saffran wrote:
In normal, the rate actually might be 1/256. But it gets worse with the difficulty rising.It never has, for any PSO version, so I highly doubt it.

Yeah, you doubt it, because Blue Burst is EXACTLY like all the other versions, right? Except for the altered Ep2 EXP, altered system of unlocking areas, a few altered statistical charts, a new section ID calculator, and a whole new episode, of course.

PSO_Komodo
Jun 24, 2005, 10:07 AM
On 2005-06-24 07:18, Ryna wrote:
Now now, let's not get off-topic.

Anyways, the only way to do this would be to keep track of rare enemies you've seen and the number of monsters killed (counting only the monsters that can have a rare variant).

Several hundred observations would have to be used in order to get a good estimate.

Trying to determine a number based on a couple or few encounters is ludicrous.

Well my post can be a start then, and if my rounded numbers arent good enough I can get the exact ones. >_<

Hrith
Jun 24, 2005, 10:10 AM
The differences between v3 and BB are ludicrous compared to the differences between v2 and v3.

I still doubt it.

Quo
Jun 24, 2005, 10:12 AM
On 2005-06-24 08:07, PSO_Komodo wrote:

Well my post can be a start then, and if my rounded numbers arent good enough I can get the exact ones. >_<

Exact numbers are the only ones that can be taken into account if we want a decent estimate.

Saffran
Jun 24, 2005, 11:03 AM
Well, I looked into my old notes and found only this:

Forest of Sorrow 64 runs 3 Hildetorrs (runs 52, 54, and 61) and 1 Pal Rappy (run 30)

MA2 41 runs (I soloed Temple in search of Torr and Mil) 2 Mils and 1 Torr (Mil run 12 and 40, Torr run 37)

I'm not really prone to hunting, so I guess I will just shut up...

rena-ko
Jun 24, 2005, 11:09 AM
On 2005-06-24 02:36, Tycho wrote:

On 2005-06-23 19:47, Kef wrote:
in my Rappy's Wings hunts
That's so much more for losers than my HU's mechs. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

verbal warning for flamebaiting and going off topic, ty.
next itsy bitsy issue will bring you a warning.

Sitka
Jun 24, 2005, 04:06 PM
Early I know, but doing my "loser" Fiy runs this morning for team points while leveling my underleveled Fonewm, who is also feeding his stupidly slow 185 mind mags:

517 regular rappies

0 rare rappies

and 0 wings - wtf!

I do feel like a loser Tycho.

All the rares I've seen thus far with the exception of 2 FIY Al Rappies were in the MA quests. I didn't accurately track the numbers, but the sheer number of enemies and the sheer number of runs I made still makes me believe the higher rare appearance rate is true.

So without piping, it may be time to re-evaluate your hunting charts Tycho. Of course, we'll go back and mine some more data on the "loser" fiy runs.

btw, how many runs in normal did you make to get that invisible guard? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

rena-ko
Jun 24, 2005, 04:17 PM
damnit, are we still in kindergarten here?
shall i claim that the next one using the word 'loser' in any relation will be banned? is that enough for you people? go get some fresh air, sheesh.

and yeah, sitka, this is a verbal warning for you as well. why? flamebaiting of course.

so, be good kids and behave, alright? or this thread will be gone like many others before it.

Sitka
Jun 24, 2005, 05:46 PM
rena-ko:

In all my posts in all my time here have you ever know me to flame-bait anyone?

Seriously, I was poking fun at myself and yes I did feel like I was a total loser for not getting any wings after spending all that time in fiy.

I was definitely not intending to bait or flame anyone.

I would have hoped you would have known me better than that.

At any rate, I apologize if it was taken that way - Tycho knows me pretty well - it was certainly not intended that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sitka on 2005-06-24 16:04 ]</font>

Tycho
Jun 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
Inv took me about 1250 runs, which took quite some time. x_x
I tried FiY on VH today, but I got bored pretty quickly because it gave only 4K exp per run. Pals drop Red Scorpio (Virid), Guard Wave (Green), Sacred Cloth (Purple), Red Handgun (Red), Red Partisan (White).
I'll probably end up hunting for loads of Sacred Cloths using my RAmarl, for exp, to get a bit more of a clue on the appearance rates, and to use them as tradebait. ~_~

Sitka
Jun 24, 2005, 06:41 PM
On 2005-06-24 16:24, Tycho wrote:
Inv took me about 1250 runs, which took quite some time. x_x
I tried FiY on VH today, but I got bored pretty quickly because it gave only 4K exp per run. Pals drop Red Scorpio (Virid), Guard Wave (Green), Sacred Cloth (Purple), Red Handgun (Red), Red Partisan (White).
I'll probably end up hunting for loads of Sacred Cloths using my RAmarl, for exp, to get a bit more of a clue on the appearance rates, and to use them as tradebait. ~_~

I've been considering hunting that invis guard with my fonewearl as I start the process of bringing her up, but the sheer number of runs is mind-numbing to say the least.

I found I can easily clear fiy's much faster with my hucast/hucaseal using a Last Survivor and damage traps than blasting the rooms with rafoie. Unfortunately, it's the Fonewm that could stand some leveling.

If only the Als dropped something really worthwhile in VH. I'd have no problem running 100's of FIY while tracking down a '75 agito, angel harp, red handgun with hit or red partisan with hit. But VH .... agh - so boring.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sitka on 2005-06-24 20:06 ]</font>