PDA

View Full Version : .... wdh? Why can't I get hired >_>

Genoa
Jun 23, 2005, 11:32 PM
I've applied at like... 6 different places since I was able to apply at them (some at the age of 14... and i'm 17 now)
I've tried Publix, CVS, Regal, Chikfila, Taco Bell, Burger King... even Mc-frikin-Donalds...
No, I can't drive... but I must say, looking out my window I can see the big Burger King sign outside my apartment... I live right next to a frikin Plaza chuck-load places... I haven't been convicted of anything... It's the frikin Summer... this is when employers higher all the lil kiddies on summer vacation!.... I mean I don't get it, this "kid" in my neighborhood... got hired like... 2 weeks ago at Publix and he just turned 14... wdh? Short little Latino kid who lookes scared to death when he's baggin... ima fraid he's gunna drop my bag handin it to me! And I mentioned he's latino because everyone who works at this Publix is either
A. Really Old with nothing better to do...
B. Gurlz for the Casheer and Floral...
C. The Minority (nothing offensive to the Minority or anything... infact, I belive it's quite the opposite...)
or D. handicaped
I mean really, how does a 14 little kid get hired over me just like that? I've applied since I WAS 14! I've been shopping there ever since I was frikin 8 years old... when I moved to Jacksonville... I know that store like the back of my hand, I know alot of those employees too, and on the application there's that part where you can put people you know who work there or what not... and all 3 slots are full?!?! but wdh!
Oh, and like... i'm like, 6'7"... I could reach ANYTHING for stocking... I sure as hell know how to bag appropriatelly... Casheer doesn't seem to hard... especially for a grocery store... hell one more year and I could work the frikin Deli...
I 3x checked my info to see if it was right, and it is... unless i'm really someone else with the wrong SS# or something...
But like, I screen my calls... so... I hope they aren't like... calling me and NOT leaving a message?... that would be the suxz0rz... I'm not allowed to answer the phone because my parents can't stand soliciters... well neither can I, that's why we don't answer the phone... and my parent's always sayin "caller ID is too expensive... blah blah blah", so... I don't know, is that why i'm getting fuxed? If so, that's really some f--ed Up Bulls--t http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif...

Sef
Jun 23, 2005, 11:54 PM
Yes, I recall yesterday we went to Publix and we saw those two 14 year olds as baggers.

A bit of a blow to the stomach, eh?

Well, I applied with you, so we'll see what happens this time, eh?... Unless they've got enough employees. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Genoa
Jun 24, 2005, 12:01 AM
Yes, the store will be run by 14 year olds and 80 year olds... and the handicaped because of those segragetion laws and what not... wow, so are they're trying to say that there has to be an equal ammount of majority as there is to minority? That's... no equality really, because they call it the majority for a reason!....that would leave ALOT of white people out of jobs... and few minorities out of a job... so... I mean, where's the justice there? I would like a job regardless that i'm white if that's the case... this is bs, but you can't really complain to anyone or try to file a case when your white... making a racial complaint...

Oh and anybody who takes offense to this, remember... I'm not saying I have something against the minority... I'm having a problem with the authority... so do not think of this as a racial rant... I just belive the authorities need to wake the fuk up and realize what's goin on with their business.. maybe if they looked for actual qualifications instead of what the hell you are, maybe we could get some dam work done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2005-06-23 22:05 ]</font>

EphekZ
Jun 24, 2005, 01:17 AM
On 2005-06-23 22:01, MegamanX wrote:
Yes, the store will be run by 14 year olds and 80 year olds... and the handicaped because of those segragetion laws and what not... wow, so are they're trying to say that there has to be an equal ammount of majority as there is to minority? That's... no equality really, because they call it the majority for a reason!....that would leave ALOT of white people out of jobs... and few minorities out of a job... so... I mean, where's the justice there? I would like a job regardless that i'm white if that's the case... this is bs, but you can't really complain to anyone or try to file a case when your white... making a racial complaint...

Oh and anybody who takes offense to this, remember... I'm not saying I have something against the minority... I'm having a problem with the authority... so do not think of this as a racial rant... I just belive the authorities need to wake the fuk up and realize what's goin on with their business.. maybe if they looked for actual qualifications instead of what the hell you are, maybe we could get some dam work done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2005-06-23 22:05 ]</font>

amen

navci
Jun 24, 2005, 10:17 AM
People don't always leave messages.
Especially for jobs like this. They are far more likely to go "Oh, answering machines, I'll call the next one instead."

Caller ID is the way to go.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 24, 2005, 11:33 AM
Tip: Go and ask to speak to the manager. Not anyone else. THE MANAGER. Tell him/her you want to work for him/her. Be persistant, say that you can outbag or outstock anyone there. Sound confident. Be relentless. And if after all that you still get the no. Come back the following week, ask for manager and say "have you changed your mind?". Do this for a month. If that doesnt get you hired then most likely they have prejudged you and will never hire you (meaning they dont like you, dont believe that its about your skills and stuff... its more about personality... if they dont like you for whatever "x" reason you wont get the job)

Daikarin
Jun 24, 2005, 11:47 AM
Stand tall, man! One of the things they search for in an employee is confidence! You'll have bad days, and good days. But don't worry, everything will all work out, as long as you do your best shot!

When being auctioned, talk like you know how the system works! Give an impression, I don't know, rule the world!

Good luck. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RoninJoku
Jun 24, 2005, 12:54 PM
On 2005-06-24 09:33, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Tip: Go and ask to speak to the manager. Not anyone else. THE MANAGER. Tell him/her you want to work for him/her. Be persistant, say that you can outbag or outstock anyone there. Sound confident. Be relentless. And if after all that you still get the no. Come back the following week, ask for manager and say "have you changed your mind?". Do this for a month. If that doesnt get you hired then most likely they have prejudged you and will never hire you (meaning they dont like you, dont believe that its about your skills and stuff... its more about personality... if they dont like you for whatever "x" reason you wont get the job)

Ah... that sounds like it's some good advice... I know what it's like to be ignored completely at every position you apply... The only way I ever even got as far as an interview in my initial job searches was to ask directly to speak with the manager... Still took me a while to finally get a job though... But at least you get more accomplished through those methods...

Genoa
Jun 24, 2005, 07:56 PM
ima try that, I will 0wnz0rz them

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 25, 2005, 03:45 AM
Err, this topic hit me in more than one way.

My first job search was such a pain as well.
I do realize I didn't put much effort into it at the beginning and it was more of an ultimatum type of deal for my parents to get me motivated and out of the house.

Eventually I came upon a place I hadn't even noticed before. I asked for an application and sat down in the place and wrote down all my info on the application. The same day(!) I get a call back.

I later find out that my boss tells me he was surprised that I spent a lot more time than the rest of his applicants in filling out my application. It was the main reason he hired me, but there wasn't even much info there he says. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I have had good and bad times here at the current job, and all learning experiences.

With the affirmative action and such you were running with, I'm torn. I have a very "white/caucasian" last name. Something that's in every phone book-5 pages at least. but it is from my father's side. I don't look like a regular "white/caucasian" individual. I'm of mixed descent, so I just look all kinds of stuff.

The other day someone was joking about how I was the only "white person who works in the store." I didn't know how to take that. I'm considered partial, not whole. how did things like this get turned into common laughable discussion at work?!

I didn't specifically have to put down what race I consider myself on the application.
The only thing I ever have to do this on is tests and things for school, in the past. I always wondered if it would be held against me, or put me in a different category for grading/comparing or whatever.

If I put one main racial background on an application instead of another would I be overlooked as soon as someone saw it?

Would I be given a different opportunity? Or should I put other/mixed and be judged only on my qualifications?

A debate for the ages, and I'm stuck in the middle of it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

roygbiv
Jun 25, 2005, 09:03 AM
So at the begining of the summer I didn't have any jobs... and my money was dwindling pretty darn fast. Spent 3 days eating candy and not eating dinner because i didn't have enough money. But heh... I started my job search as soon as I could and when I found an opening got an interview, and I believe because I had quite a bit of confidence and was really energetic about the job, got an offer right after the interview (with them deciding not to interview anyone else). Yesterday I got my first paycheck and now have money to spend on food.
But because the job was part time, I went looking again for something else to do... the original job I was hoping to get (as a translator/researcher) was apparently filled a long time ago (and the prof. in charge lost my email which I had sent ages ago)... so I was really miffed about that, but went right back in... looked through all of the job listings again (saw nothing of interest) then emailed a few people and got word back that someone else needed research help. and low and behold land a second job (more serious and increadibly academic, but for less pay and more hours) which fits right in with my current schedule. In part the second job was a bit of luck. But it took persistence on my part to get it...

So I would say in order to give yourself and advantage in the job process these things are important: Confidence! Enthusiasm! and Persistence!

Being a charismatic person also helps a bunch, but that is not really something you can learn to be easily.

AUTO_
Jun 26, 2005, 06:19 PM
This thread reminded me of a scene in Office Space.

Anyways...

Good tip by S saying to go speak to the manager, it's really the only thing you should ever do when asking for a job.

Nai_Calus
Jun 27, 2005, 03:06 AM
Got a call centre in your area? Within a WEEK of submitting my application I got hired. >_>;;;

They want warm, vaguely competent bodies and preferably no criminal record. Lack of a soul a plus.

digigram
Jun 27, 2005, 08:17 AM
this is when employers higher all the lil kiddies on summer vacation!...

1:summer
2:You can't expect to be hired as a cashier, when on the application, it says...

Position desired:Casheer

Sorry, to be an asshole about that, but it is the truth. Especially for establishments such as Chik-fil-a, publix, kroger, BK etc.

zero12410
Jun 27, 2005, 01:28 PM
lol, I couldn't get hired at wall-mart, fuggin wall-mart, even with a resume and letters of recomendaton...

Jive18
Jun 27, 2005, 02:36 PM
On 2005-06-27 11:28, zero12410 wrote:
lol, I couldn't get hired at wall-mart, fuggin wall-mart, even with a resume and letters of recomendaton...

I wouldn't worry about Wal-Mart Zero, I've heard from my sister and several others that it is perhaps the worst place to work at, even lower than fast food joints. They give you the absolute worst hours because they hire so many people, and half the time it's hard to work with all those morons. Plus, Wal-Mart had a definite mix of retail, another equally-shitty division of jobs.

Of course, that's just what I've heard.

Sef
Jun 28, 2005, 02:37 AM
My friend works at WalMart(The Super kind if it makes any difference) and he says it's pretty good... Seems like a friendly nice place, haha. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Still no word from Publix... I think I'm going to have to broaden my horizons...

War_Child
Jul 3, 2005, 02:36 AM
My first job hunt, I applied at around 15 places with no response. It happens. With the volume of applicants (remember, all the kiddies are applying), chances are there is someone better than you for the job in the employer's eyes. If you can't change that view in a possible interview, then you're further screwed.

When handing in a resume or application, give it DIRECTLY TO THE MANAGER and nobody else. This way the manager gets it unscathed and you get to make a first impression. Most applicants I've seen that don't talk to the manager usually end up having their resumes dumpstered.

DO NOT SIT AND WAIT LONG FOR A PHONE CALL. If you don't hear back within the first few days, call. Show that you really want to work there. Remember, the dude probably has a bajillion others to choose from that look better than you, showing you really want the job and are willing to work hard will only help.

If you have friends that work at the place, don't settle for just writing down their names. Have them approach the manager and throw in a good word for you. A person will probably trust the word of a good employee before just picking random strangers.

6 stores is not enough. To increase your chances you really have to whore yourself. Hell like I said earlier, I applied to around 15 places, got interviewed by one, and didn't get the job. Lower your standards if you want to work that badly.

If you're only looking for a summer job and plan to quit when school starts, don't fucking bother unless it is for a school co-op program. Employers DO NOT want to go through the effort of finding a good employee only to repeat the hunting process a short while later. Be prepared to work during school. If you can't handle work and school, then forget about work, the latter is more important.

On your resume, for your objective/reason for applying, DO NOT USE A GENERAL STATEMENT. THAT IS RETARDED. Form resumes get junked faster than individual ones. Make sure it isn't a retarded reason.

GOOD: "I wish to obtain employment at (so and so) to (reason: mine was to obtain experience in customer service and save for university)"

BAD: I wish to obtain a job at your company to improve my skills.

UGLY: I wish to earn Christmas money (this is a true reason listed on a resume handed in February last year where I work http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Cover letters, if you choose to use one, should be individualized for each place you apply as well. Make sure you explain WHY you would be a good employee. "To whom this may concern" and "To the manager" also sound shitty, try to get that person's name before applying.

Lastly, just because you apply doesn't mean you will get hired. Some stores are already fully staffed (just because it's summer doesn't mean positions magically appear out of nowhere), others may just not like you. Tough shit, move on to another job prospect.

Oh, and while it took me half a year, I eventually ended up with a video game retail job that i've been at for 2 and a half years now >.> Hooray. I almost didn't though, because I did the exact opposite of much of this advice. My saving graces were talking to the manager on a regular basis and strong recommendation from another employee.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: War_Child on 2005-07-03 00:48 ]</font>