PDA

View Full Version : character names

WraithAkaMrak
Aug 7, 2002, 05:20 PM
Maybe this is a real n00b question to ask, but how does everyone select their character names?

Mine: I've used "Wraith" for quite a while, for message boards, chat rooms, and the like. Also in FF VII, used "Wraith" as the name for Cloud. I hadn't actually heard the word much until I read it in a Star Wars book years ago.

My 2nd character is "Lighthawk", which is a term taken from the anime Tenchi Muyo.

Ganymede - one of the moons of Jupiter, and also for its part in Cowboy Bebop (another anime).

And any other less-used characters have been derived from anime, or from music.

FinalMasterM
Aug 7, 2002, 05:25 PM
I've always stuck with the *MasterM name, the "Final" in front of it has kinda stuck to me over the years. When it comes to naming characters (for PSO) I usually go with something that gives me a fitting ID for the character I'm making (MegaMasterM - Pinkal - FOnewm or BetaMasterM - Oran - HUnewearl).

In other games I usually name the character after my real name, unless the character/thing I'm naming is a robot/mecha I go with MasterM (like Front Mission 3, main characters mecha was named MasterM)

PlatinumGame
Aug 7, 2002, 05:33 PM
I think like most char names, mine are based on one char name. Like my second char name was originally The Game and PlatinumGame came out of it. Back in v1 all my char names revolved around Game and variations of it but now its just I name 'em whateva I like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlatinumGame on 2002-08-07 15:34 ]</font>

Darrin
Aug 7, 2002, 05:55 PM
I choose my name from my first real name, "Darrin"

Pogle
Aug 7, 2002, 06:13 PM
All those names are good! What really annoys me though: people using names from DragonBall Z.
If I see another HUmar called 'Goku' or 'Vegeta' or with the word 'Saiyan' in it, I think my head will explode.
I mean, does it hurt to show a little imagination every now and again?

Daikarin
Aug 7, 2002, 06:14 PM
Well, the original Idea was "Ultimate", when thinking of reaching level 100 and upgrading the stats to the ultimate level. By looking at names in other games like Ultimecia, Ultima, etc, this name was born. However, I changed it to "New Ultimate" when I was CKed and wanted to start all over, legit, because I did possess some hacked weapons on the other char. In my fanfic though, there is another reason for the character's name http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rylios
Aug 7, 2002, 08:08 PM
Well i did have a name Ghaleon from Lunar
then i chanfged it to Gallion But Still Nothing Original
Than I sorta of Took My First Name and My Fav Chars and Got Rylios
I am The Only One With hat Namenow http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
try combo of name

ginko990
Aug 7, 2002, 10:10 PM
My first two characters are original names.
Ginko Baloba.
Korlin Flork.
Then I took, the summon from ff7, Odin.
Then from fallen, Azezal.
Then from ff7, Barrets old friend, Dyne.

vashthestampede8480
Aug 7, 2002, 10:33 PM
On 2002-08-07 16:13, Pogle wrote:
All those names are good! What really annoys me though: people using names from DragonBall Z.
If I see another HUmar called 'Goku' or 'Vegeta' or with the word 'Saiyan' in it, I think my head will explode.

Hope you're not mad that I'm using a Trigun character right? :/

Nerd
Aug 8, 2002, 12:57 AM
Nerdcito was a nick a friend gave me, the rest were my real name (Gary) or named after ppl i dig like Meg Ryan or Cactuar (from final fantasy)

Sciler
Aug 8, 2002, 06:36 AM
Sciler I got from the first time I played FF2 for SNES, I saw the word relics and decided to spell it backwards, and its stuck ever since: RELICS = SCILER

Akumi- I got from a joke between me and a friend, he goes by Akuma, so when I beat him once I started poking fun at him saying i was Akumi and it stuck.

Felix- is a nickname based off my real name (that matches the char in my sig)

Neogame2
Aug 8, 2002, 07:32 AM
Neogame came from Matrix and a little imagination, still I see people tend to pick from movies, games etc.. that they like not because they have no imagination but because that what they would like to be or for any number of reasons, so don't be hard on any of us for being unoriginal!! some people have it some don't but they make up for it!!

HarleyQuinn
Aug 8, 2002, 08:39 AM
Harley Quinn from Batman; The Joker's sidekick and girlfriend.

I've yet to meet a PSO player called The Joker though... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RavenTW
Aug 8, 2002, 09:11 AM
Odd, a FOnewm would match that perfectly., except for the part that Joker doesn't have any hats.

I name my characters based on what they're personalities and physical attributes are. Eclipse was named due to his dark suit and equally dark mind. Meggida basically meant "death in female form", so I made her all dark, with a little green (the strips on one of the HUnewl's secret costume changes based on skin color), and equipped her with a Soul Banish. Maverick was my first char, and it's the only name I use for RAcast (although I was thinking of naming my Ep 2 one Bazooka Joe, just for the heck of it). I made the name due to the fact that he's a ranger, and proffecient with guns.

I also once went through a phase where I decided to name each class after the 9 planets. Then I went back to personality naming.

For some reason, I can't stick with one name at all. I have a problem >_<

gunome
Aug 8, 2002, 09:42 AM
its all about the original name unless the char models actually look like some char from somethin else. but i think it gets you more into the game and you roleplaying as your char rather than as an already made up one...

Nidarrock
Aug 8, 2002, 12:15 PM
I try to be original as best I can. Nidarrock, Kylan & Alarra(not listed in sig) are from some characters in a story that I've created. Edge and Luna I just like, however I used the name Edge for one of my story characters. The only problem I have with using names from exsisting games or movies is the fact that there is sometimes too many players with the same name. But whatever floats your boat. Have fun.

Moo2u
Aug 8, 2002, 06:37 PM
Well, my names sometimes change but stay somewhat the same. Here's a list of a few I can think of; Moo, Moo2u, Moo4u, SuperMoo, MasterMoo, MooMan, Moo_am_i, etc. I think you get the picture.

Well the name Moo gose back quite I while, (like since I was five or six, I think.) It's a rather long story and I don't really feel like telling it sooo....bla! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Davion
Aug 8, 2002, 06:55 PM
Davion is the name of a house in Battletech. It's a last name, but I think it suits my character well. I don't see many Davion's around.

rena-ko
Aug 9, 2002, 07:35 AM
Rena.... um, for no reason... just because its short and Rena (1) is very short too ^_^

why i named my 2nd chara the same? i dont really know i just wanted to confuse my teammates a bit ^_^ when entering a game for the first time.
also, it became sorta my nickname in the meantime ^_^

um, Shinobu has a special meaning. first i named my 3rd char Rena, too. then something (personal) happened, so i deleted Rena(3) (at the level of 20 - never been online) and re-did her (made her black too - now she's darkgreen btw)...
actually she the third attempt to make a 3rd char (...,Rena,Shinobu) and shes not named after any anime-character ^_^

and Hannya is intended to being an slightly arrogant Force. i still have to decide to play her online, because she was planned to be my first GCNpso-chara... (yes, none of the "new" types)

SS_Death
Aug 9, 2002, 08:41 AM
My HUcast is named Death...

Yes its not necessarly original (not seen anyone else called that though...) the point is he is all in black, heavily built and max height. Personality wise he reflects my darker side so the only thing he brings is like his name, death.

In the end I had to recreate him in v1 because I saved while using him on a friends DC so the file got corrupted (I was lvl99 too!). Thankfully I was able to get back to 100 before PSO v2 arrived in the UK (Not only that maxed all my stats but HP!)

My second character started out as a FOnewm. However after getting to lvl30 and being stuck at the Ruins I got bored and re-created him as a RAcast but retained his name, Shadow. Shadow is a definite contrast to Death in that he is more thoughtfull, unlike Death he is less likely to rush into the thick of the action.

I did consider a third character but as I only like androids and there isn't much point in having another Ranger I stopped where I am.

Might get GC PSO Eps.I&II, if I do expect to see Death returning exactly as before although I may alter him a little depending on the costume options...

See ya!

OracleDDX
Aug 9, 2002, 09:24 AM
My first char Kristen was named after me then I after thing started going to hell (about a month after the US launch) It was Doomsday an Doomsday X. Then alot of other characters which I just used my old char name Kristen 1-6, Kristen Snow, Kristen X an Kristen (Ora) then I just used some real names/words or names I made up Ahura Mazola, Charity (DR), Kendoshi Kyosanshugi, Kimi, Chibi Kibo, Taymara, Shou Xing, Fu Xing, Lu Xing Yuan Shi, Pan Gu, Tien Tsun. Then finally after telling my friends that I saw the future in my dreams 3 times they started calling me Oracle then I made Oracle then I had OracleDDX but didnt like that ID so I used Doomsday X and Kristen an shortened them into (DDX) and (Kri) which are my 2 main characters Oracle (DDX) Hunewearl and Oracle (Kri) Fonewearl. Now most of my chars are tagged with DDX.

Ness
Aug 9, 2002, 04:07 PM
My first character was Mexidon. I wanted to put Mexidon Tarnshido, but I wouldn't fit. I also had a RAmar named Tim and another HUmar named Ness. On GC PSO I'll have these characters:
Zip Shot Z- FOmar
Raynos- Hucaseal
Ness- Humar
I'll also have a fourth one. (Maybe)

Lloyd
Aug 10, 2002, 07:01 PM
My name is Lloyd, therefore my username or nick would always be set to name. Lately I've been quite attached to Fate, thus Lloyd Fate

Crolis
Aug 10, 2002, 08:11 PM
I typically agonize over the choices for about a week, rummaging through tomes of long-dead languages, then tweak and re-tweak until I get the Section ID I want. Greek, Enochian, and Babylonian all yield some great PS names.

Dabra
Aug 10, 2002, 08:13 PM
Well i got into dragonball and there was this demon named dabula (dabura?). At the time i needed a proper name because pso was my first online game and i always stuck to darkblack, which was unoriginal. Now i rushed into a name and named myself dabra, thinking that it was that sweet demon's name in dragonball. Shenrox was to complete my whole role-playing act when i got into it in some several sites...now i just have names ranging from dabra, dabra_Zero to Misterdabra or DabraThe2nd. I thought about changing it since it's so close to debra, a female's name...but i post on 5 boards, all with the name dabra...a internet social life is hard to re-start.

TedEdFred
Aug 10, 2002, 08:24 PM
My name is also the former name of a famous band.

X-Jun Chan comes from a list of gods or something in a spoken word done by Mr. William S. Burroughs called "Ah Pook the Destroyer" or something along those lines..

other.....

Gradius It's from a game where you are a ship and you shoot stuff. I started using this way back when I played CS 7.1 and used it ever since.

Mars, it's a planet, I just liked the name.

Type- R also from a game where you are a ship and shoot stuff. Called R-Type, I changed it for ORAN SEC ID.

AT Gradius is just the gradius name above with a clan tag.

/sal is short for salamander which is the japanese name of a game where you are a ship and you shoot stuff. It's US name is life force.

Silent_night is a christmas song, she was made around christmas.

Eugene is named after Eugene Kelly formerly of the Vaselines and Eugenius (bands).

Oreo' is cookies.

Mr Moneky* is because I like monkeys.

BradleyTheBuyer is a character in a book by William S. Burroughs called "Naked Lunch". He is like this cop that catches drug dealers but to do so he has to live totaly like a junky, looses his teeth etc. but he's the best.

Darrin
Aug 11, 2002, 08:44 AM
On 2002-08-07 16:13, Pogle wrote:

I hate that too

LostHero
Aug 11, 2002, 09:27 AM
I made one of my pso char's Losthero, ppl seemed to like the name as did I. Made it for these forums and its carried with me ever since.