PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

Jehosaphaty
Jul 1, 2005, 02:08 PM
In an effort to make an extra buck on people traveling this fourth of July, gas stations have rasied their prices...again. It's honestly getting ridiculous. The price now is something like 2.35 a gallon, and that's not as high as it is in some places. I'm considering getting out the bike for some short distance travels to simply save some cash. How're things looking where you live?

zimmk2vgc
Jul 1, 2005, 05:29 PM
heh, heh, heh, heh, youre fucking joking, thats an absolute fucking bargain!

dude, its like 93p a litre over here. It costs me £50 roughly each time to fill up. If you ask me your prices should be reasied so ours can be lowered, even out the difference.

I'm a Brit btw.

Jehosaphaty
Jul 1, 2005, 06:58 PM
On 2005-07-01 15:29, zimmk2vgc wrote:
heh, heh, heh, heh, youre fucking joking, thats an absolute fucking bargain!

dude, its like 93p a litre over here. It costs me ?50 roughly each time to fill up. If you ask me your prices should be reasied so ours can be lowered, even out the difference.

Eh. I guess I was referring to American gas prices, but whatever. Gas in general is just freakin expensive, but I guess that's the way it'll stay. Hydrogen anyone?

I'm a Brit btw.

No bloody way. Throw another shrimp on the barby then? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2005-07-01 16:59 ]</font>

Daikarin
Jul 1, 2005, 07:10 PM
Same. Gas increasing, taxes increasing, this whole situation screams for a coup d'etat. But we're kinda used to it.

ABDUR101
Jul 1, 2005, 08:14 PM
It all ties together.

Rising gas prices pushes consumers to pay for what they need, very few are going to give up going where they want or need to go.

However, the rising gas prices also pushes car makers to design a solution. No one wants to buy a gas guzzling machine, the more economical the vehicle, the more people are going to buy it when the gas prices are going higher and higher.

It's all a nice push towards cars that run off other means. I beleive there are already cars that don't even kick into using much gas(if any) until they reach a certain speed. Perfect for sitting in traffic for hours on end in rush hour, or the stop and go of red-lights.

The gas prices here in america are such an issue, because everyone is used to $1.19 a gallon(locally anyway). But, times change, and this as all other things, will be no different.

Jive18
Jul 1, 2005, 08:19 PM
Hybrids are soon going to be all the rage, regardless of what people think about them. 50 mpg for a Toyota Prius? Sign me up http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

astuarlen
Jul 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
On 2005-07-01 18:14, ABDUR101 wrote:
No one wants to buy a gas guzzling machine, the more economical the vehicle, the more people are going to buy it when the gas prices are going higher and higher.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Hummers, anyone? I'm seeing more and more of those damn things 'round here.

Sure, I know people who are nauseated by the sight of SUVs; I also know those who would purchase a gas-guzzler precisely because it is a gas-guzzler.
Buncha nuts, if you ask me.

rbf2000
Jul 1, 2005, 11:25 PM
It's all economics, my friends. The law of supply and demand.

During this weekend there is going to be an increased demand for gas, so the gas stations can increase their price and people will still pay it.

Some people look at it as price gouging (like after a major natural disaster repair guys charge more than normal), but it would really be unfair to not charge more. For example:

Lets say there is a hurricane and it does a lot of damage to a lot of houses. A roof repair guy charges $50 to fix a roof normally. Now, this is an efficient repair guy, he wants to make the most of his time. If he keeps is prices the same, he will no doubt stay busy for several weeks straight after the hurricane. However, people will have to wait a long time to get service from him. A guy could be missing his entire roof and not get serviced before a guy who was missing one shingle called.

Now, if the repairman raises his prices to say, $500, ten times what he normally charges, well the guy that only needs one shingle replaced isn't going to pay that, but the guy who needs his whole roof repaired will pay it, because he needs it more.

So, not only will the repairman make more money with his time, but he will also help people that need the help more.

Econ 101.

Ron
Jul 2, 2005, 12:47 PM
not sure but here in iraq its something like 25 cents a gallon. lol kinda funny cause all the hummers around here are Hum-Vs and run on diesel which means they are more cost effective than the ugly hummers you see in US streets... although right now I wish I was walking those streets O_o;

{edit} weee spelling is fun

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron on 2005-07-02 10:49 ]</font>

space_butler
Jul 3, 2005, 07:37 AM
On 2005-07-01 18:19, Jive18 wrote:
Hybrids are soon going to be all the rage, regardless of what people think about them. 50 mpg for a Toyota Prius? Sign me up http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

50 is nothing special...a lot of cars will do 45mpg no problem. theres concept cars thay manage 100 somehow.

Shrevn
Jul 4, 2005, 02:28 PM
1 word... bush >_>;;

Kinda like the deal thats going on in south dakota? or one of them states with the airforce base station they got there and they're (when i say "they" i mean bush) trying to combine with the one in texas.
Which means 2 things, more money being brought into the state and more gas being used. (i dont know if this is right or not) but i heard that he has a connection or owns? some type of fuel companyes? so i woudlnt be surpriced if all of this sums up to him getting more money >_>;;

Sharkyland
Jul 6, 2005, 04:40 AM
On 2005-07-01 18:19, Jive18 wrote:

Been hearing a special report (from long ago) since some of the hybrids don't use gasoline and the government puts a tax on gasoline to fix roadways and those lovely roads that you drive on... California was thinking of adding a new tax where you would pay for transportation fee and usage of roads since they aren't getting your money from the pump.

With China now in the market competing for gasoline, I'm guessing the price of gas will keep on rising for a while.

digigram
Jul 6, 2005, 08:19 AM
2.35 a gallon,

the highest I have seen in the US this year, was 3.15 or so for unleaded.

That, is not a bargain.

As far as I know however, we refine more oil than the UK, stop me if i'm mistaken. So why should we raise prices for yours to be lowered?