PDA

View Full Version : My job (long rant)

InfinityXXX
Jul 1, 2005, 08:39 PM
I guit my job...yeah go ahead and laugh but i had a good reason too....

Before i start, I must say..TCIM is the most ghettoist, unprofessional, shadiest and dumbest job ever.(Outbound telemarketing, bleh)

First I'll start with the job. Its outbound telemarketing so you are calling the people trying to get them to buy your stuff (In my case, i sold credit protection).

The thing i hate the most about the job is the way it operates. When you call someone you ask for em and then you read a 5 minute script word for word, thanking them for being a card member and letting them know about the credit protection. Not only that but if they say they dont want it you have to use a rebuttal and read it word for word in hopes of sparking their intrest and if they deny it again you have to use another rebuttal.

Now this turns people off. First of all, people do not like being bothered by a stranger and not only that, listening to them talk nonsense for 5 minutes.(If they actually say they want it, then the conformation process takes about 10 mins)Also, you have a time limit when reading the script and the only way to not go over the limit is, YOU MUST read the script fast and this turn off people even more.

For the first 2 weeks you can mess up your calls and get away with it(i quit in my 2nd week) but after that if you do not make at least 1 sale a day YOU, will be terminated, fired, knocked off,etc..

When you talk to someone, most of the time they say "I'm not intrested" or "Take me off your Do not call list" or "callback another time"

Now these 3 things can lead to you getting cussed out. When one person put a customer on the "I'm not intrested list" the system calls them back the NEXT DAY and send them to another person (me) and you end up getting cussed out with "Goddammit I told you i didn't want it" and if they "Do Not Say" take me off your call list, then you have to put them on the "I'm not intrested list" which means the next day they'll be called again and sent to another person which will anger them even more.

Now if you call a customer and their not there you HAVE to say "Fine. I'll call back another day/evening. Goodbye". After that you click "callback" and you have 4 options: call in 1 hr, call in 2 hr, call tommorow, specify time to call.

Now specify time to call is never used for the person will rarely tell you when your customer will be back thus you have to guess which time to call. I never pick in "1 hr" or in "2hr" because in exactly that time frame the system will call them back so I pick "call tommorow". And the next day at that time, the system calls back that same person.

But what if the person is never there at that time. (for events like school, job, or other stuff they do reguarly) So you end up putting them on callback and you call back all the time which eventually lead to you being cussed out.(Then you put them on the "not intrested list". you see the cycle?)

Now enough with the way the job works(if you get it) lemme get to the factors that made me hate this job.

1. The supervisor.

The supervisor is an obese nerd who does not like his own race(hes black) I have concluded that due to the fact that he gets disrespected in the real world he takes his anger into his job for thats the only place he has power. (In sociology this behavior has a name) I don't feel like getting into how he hates his own race but lets say that he talks bad about black people to white people which is really disrespectful. He also pisses me off because hes always going around telling folks that he can fire them and repeatidly listing all the powers he has a supervisor.

Also another thing that pisses me off with him is that hes always saying "get your sales up" and telling us we're not working hard enough and how he can get in trouble for our poor sales.

Now if "I" was a supervisor and if "I" was gonna get in trouble for having poor sales then "I" would actually stop playing around with other employees and get off my ass and get on a computer and TRY TO MAKE SOME SALES. All he does is goof off. No leadership skills.

Another thing is that hes a hippocrit. You see he has his favorites and he has his rules. One day I brought pop up to my cubicle and he told me its not allowed. And after i put it in my backpack about 10 minutes later, this bitch comes out with a 2 liter bottle of Sprite. Not only that but on various days i spotted his "favorites" with pop and candy and he knew about it.

To put it all in a nutshell, my supervisor wants everyone to kiss his ass.

2. The people and their cigs.

No one talks to me at this job. I'm not expecting for anyone too but my friends from school who had recomended me the job say nothing to me. I say Hi and they don't even look at me or acknowledge that i'm trying to say hi. Everyone hangs together. They make sales and talk amongst themselves and then they go outside and smoke. I have no problem with smoking but it pisses me off how much emphasis they put on it. They act like its so cool. I think half of em probably didn't start smoking until they started working at this job.

Also, everyone at this job loves drama. They love having fights with new people and all they talk about is negativity.

3. The job.

Its boring. I sit for 6 hrs reading a script. One 15 min break. It sucks and it will make you want to kill yourself. They also screw you out of your hours. Sending you home early(one time i only worked 2 hrs) or making you work extra hrs. Breaking their agreement they have with you. The job is very unstable and i love stability.

Now what led to me quitting is that yesterday I went to work and i saw my friend denesha and for the 10th time i said hi and she sat up there and ignored me and went to one of her work friends. we were good friends in school.

Well i sat at my cubicle by myself and after getting cussed at by customers for the past 4 hrs, I started questioning myself. Thinking if i should just walk away. Eventually i laid my head down waiting for calls when my supervisor comes up....

Supervisor:(being sarcastic) Are you sick
Me: tired
Superv: ill?
Me:tired
superv:huh?
Me: tired
superv: (sarcastic and angered)speak up i cant hear ya
Me: Tired!!
superv: Listen! (he zoomed his ugly face towards mine) (serious) Don't put your head on MY table!

He then walked away and i thuoght. "This obese dumbass bitch thinks he controls me." How the fuck can his favs lay their head down(some going to sleep) and I can't?

After 4 seconds i came to a conclusin................. "Fuck this job" and i walked away and threw my headphones out into the cubicles(hoping it hits his fatass) and left.

I don't miss the job one bit. I got enough money to buy my cpu but i still need to get some money for the next school year so i kinda need a job but it would be a cold day in hell when i apply at TCIM or another telemarketing job.

My mom always said that when one door closes, another one opens. Thus i'm about to fill out my Mcdonalds application. Hoping i get hired.

KodiaX987
Jul 1, 2005, 08:58 PM
I just read "telemarketing" and all of a sudden I had the urge to kill you.

Bad Infinity, bad!

Jive18
Jul 1, 2005, 08:59 PM
Omg, that was fucking hilarious. I'm still laughing http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. If you want my opinion, I think you had every right to quit. I could never understand how telemarketers do their job without killing themselves. As you pretty much said in your story "fuck them bitches".

Thanks for the laugh, if I ever quit a job, that's how I'll do it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

navci
Jul 1, 2005, 09:33 PM
Few people realize how tough telemarketing job can be.

Well good luck. Most jobs would be irritating due to:
1. boss
2. people
3. stupid people
4. your co workers
5. your job

Welcome to the real world.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navinator on 2005-07-01 19:40 ]</font>

Sayara
Jul 1, 2005, 09:35 PM
mmmm the well planing is delicious.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=99259&forum=11&26

To not be a total asshole.
You find some, and you lose some. Better luck next time getting a better job.

and thanks for the inside look of a telemarketer

InfinityXXX
Jul 1, 2005, 09:43 PM
LOl yeah thank ya tingle. Whenever something is rushed, its usually not all that.

But I learned something very valuable, something i can tell my kids and anyone else that wants to work....3 valuable words."TELEMARKETING SUCKS ASS"

When i told my mom she laughed saying "i told ya" but then she told me "well now you know and now you learned"

edit: Oh Yeah, i also learned, to be nicer to telemarketers, heh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-07-01 19:45 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 2, 2005, 05:56 AM
On 2005-07-01 19:33, navinator wrote:

Well good luck. Most jobs would be irritating due to:
1. boss
2. people
3. stupid people
4. your co workers
5. your job

Welcome to the real world.

Indeed.
Your patience will be tested, then pushed to your limits, again and again.

The better you can handle stress, the better off you will be. Also, sometimes you have to just give in to any and all demands. It might seem like you're lowering yourself, or not standing up for your dignity-but if you take ten seconds and look back on it later, it was hardly as bad as you thought it was.