PDA

View Full Version : Conformity and Stereotypes

PJ
Jul 11, 2005, 09:13 PM
Why is there this mind set that conforming is the devil?

Since in one way or another we all do it.

Listens to rap? Oh, let's put a label on him as gangster. But since I don't listen to rap, I'm an individual! I listen to Japanese rock songs, since they exceed American songs in quality and style!

Humans suck. I exceed humanity by saying that.

Yo for shizzle dawg, if I be speakin da shit like dis, I'm out to steal your wallet and shit and rape your daughter!

There is nothing wrong with personal taste. You are not god by talking down another individuals taste. No one in the world is an individual. We all fit into one group or another.

And in the same way, everyone in the world is an individual since we all have our differences, whether we like to admit it or not. There are no, "Clones."

Suck it, Isaac.

(Saiffwin wants to know where this comes up. Brother Isaac thinks I'm a conformist for hanging out with my friends)

Mixfortune
Jul 11, 2005, 09:24 PM
For the most part, no one should care that much what someone likes or does anyways, on either side. Unless it's in some harmful manner or some other type of special circumstance.

There are different types of conforming people do. And as such, are treated in different ways.

There's also the difference between doing liking what you like, and liking it or hating it because someone else likes it or hates it, in any of those combinations, including hating because of liking, and liking because of hating.

If someone likes whatever, and is labelled to be either conformist or rebellious for it, they shouldn't be affected by it so much, since they themselves should hopefully know if that's indeed the case. If someone makes an off-base assumption I know not to be true about myself, I won't really care.

Granted, for those who willingly "like" or "hate" things with the purpose to be conformist or rebellious, that nature is what they want to do on their own will as well, so you get various layers.

There's too many levels for everyone to be black and white. If I like or dislike something, someone's BOUND to say it's because I'm being either conformist or rebellious. It's inevitable.

EphekZ
Jul 11, 2005, 09:24 PM
we are only human we can't do anything about those types of people, sadly I've learned there is no reason to complain we just have to live and suffer.

Like you said everyone has ther own personal taste and I guess thats just their own personal taste..sadly

PJ
Jul 11, 2005, 09:30 PM
Mix, you have earned my undying respect.

I thought about that before, but never really put that into place on my rant (Obviously)

Then again, if someone chooses to hate or like something to be confomist or rebellious (sp?), then that's still their individual decision. (EDIT: OH CRAPS that's exactly what you said, wow I need to read harder into genius posts XP)

It's like there are layers to conformity, it's mind boggling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-07-11 19:35 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
On 2005-07-11 19:24, darkgunner wrote:
we are only human we can't do anything about those types of people, sadly I've learned there is no reason to complain we just have to live and suffer.

Like you said everyone has ther own personal taste and I guess thats just their own personal taste..sadly

Yeah, but you aren't a better person just because you don't share those same tastes.

PJ, this is an awesome rant. Too bad the people that need to understand it won't.

Saiffy
Jul 11, 2005, 10:18 PM
Like I said PJ, anything I said would just be agreeing with what you said. What I find slightly disturbing is how you let Isaac get to you so badly, you know that he's just an ass... Ah, that's off topic though.

So in short, agree with Mix, disagree with others. >_>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 12, 2005, 05:20 AM
I currently listen to Reggae from Japan by Japanese female artists.

I must be the weirdest person alive, lets ignore me/hate me/beat me up because I'm different.

Also throw things at me, see me walking to the bus stop to go to work while you almost run me over and call your friends on your cell phone to laugh about what I do everyday- and how I suck.

Yes, your life is better to you- but oh crap, I don't give a shit.

Does your life coincide with mine? Hell no.
What, we were classmates when? Years ago?
What does it matter to you what I do in life, where I work, how much money I make?

I see you once a year? Who are you? Someone important?

Don't get it confused, I don't bring this all on myself, I'm a polite/well mannered person. This is directed at those who feel gossiping is the entire purpose of life, whom reside within my current city of residence.

Those who feel talking about how much they got wasted last night at that party, how they didn't sleep one second, how they are not in debt from bills but "collection," as if that is completely different. Forgetting that they brought it on themselves, not mentioning why they did it, only to bring it up to get reactions.

Anyways I'm all over the place here, sorry to spoil your rant. I'll be fine if you disagree with me and quote me to add in some comments on my ignorance, how I shouldn't care about what others do when they so care about me in a negative way, etc.

Something I once said in an English assignment:

Treat others how you want to be treated.

Compare that to a student who before I went up to present said: "Everybody has skeletons in the closet, so yeah."

But it is hard when the others don't treat you back how you treat them.