PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Shader effects not as good as they could be?

Jack
Jul 14, 2005, 06:14 PM
I was having a flick through a PC magazine I saw in Tesco the other day and I saw they had a feature on Blue Burst. One thing that caught my eye was a screenshot they had where the guy had perfect shadow details and good transparency effects on a Flowen's Sword. I don't get this, and I've got all the in-game graphical settings turned up to the top. I noticed a lot of the shader effects are a fair bit worse than on the GameCube. Examples below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/jackhunter64/shader.jpg

The transparency on the Flowen's Sword is very pixellated, as is the camouflage on the Satellite Lizard on the bottom left. The water effects are a mixed bag - the splashes are a bit blobby, as you can see, but the ripple effects when standing still look great. It's funny this is happening, because a lot of the other effects look great, such as the reflections in the Seabed. Does anyone else's effects look the same, or have you got them working properly?

Corey
Jul 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
For 2 days, the first 2 days I played BB on my new laptop, I had a -perfect- looking shadow...now it's not as good at it was. It's either I never noticed (but I noticed this when I was doing CCA after my 4th day of having a laptop) or some glitch.
dunno...

Getintothegame
Jul 15, 2005, 01:33 AM
It really does depend on which card you have. I had a Radeon 9700 PRO the other day, and it didn't look as good as the Radeon 9800 PRO. I mean, I have perfect transparency effects right now. As compared to my nVIDIA something-really-cheap-at-Wal-Mart buy, I couldn't get transparency to look anything but transparent. I'll grab you a screen soon.

Oh, and as another example, my integrated graphics card couldn't even handle the transparency. I'd show a multicolor thing instead of transparency. I'll also hunt down one of my shots for that, too.

Also, very unlikely, but your options could be partially working. This was the problem I had with PSOBBJP, something messed up, and frameskip never worked. Had to download/install.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-07-14 23:37 ]</font>

Jack
Jul 15, 2005, 04:14 AM
I've already reinstalled it once, but I can't for the life of me remember why. It looked like that before and after.

rena-ko
Jul 15, 2005, 04:45 AM
hm, it would help if you state what GPU you're using. maybe you have to play with the card's options (seperated from the game's options) as well.

Ryna
Jul 15, 2005, 07:24 AM
I'm using a 6800 GT and the graphics I see are very similar to those of Jack's. About the only thing that is better for me is the transluncency effects on the Flowen. The graphics I see aren't quite as pixelated as that, but they still don't look very good.

Jack
Jul 15, 2005, 04:51 PM
I got an Connect3D X800 XL 256MB installed this morning, and it still looks pants.