PDA

View Full Version : Revision to VulpesMundi's MAG PB guide

Nohra
Jul 15, 2005, 03:45 PM
This is VM's MAG guide slightly revised with what I discovered on Housoka with the help of Sounomi, Kef, and a few others.

All About Photon Blasts - Chaining and Donating Photon Blasts
When a MAG charges up enough photon energy it can release a powerful Photon Blast that can either attack enemies or assist its master and companions.
ALL PBs are LIGHT ELEMENTAL. Their graphics may look otherwise, but PBs are useless against enemies that are immune to ELT (Sinow Blue/Red and the sort).

PB Chain
Multiple PBs can be generated into a chain of up to four PBs. Each PB must be cast before the starting player initiates their Photon Blast, during the grinding up noise, and two successive PBs cannot be identical (you can, however, use the same PB twice as long as it has a different PB in between). Chains effectively boost damage done to enemies and increase Resta and Shifta & Deband effects greatly. Enemy kills will be counted depending on who's PB hit which enemy (if you're facing in a different direction and cast your PB into that group, you will not get credit for enemies your PB did not hit, unless you already attacked them before the combo). Also, all effects of Resta and Shifta & Deband will be cast upon all characters who took part in the PB chain, and donated.
You CANNOT chain from a different room, unlike donating.

PB Donations
When a character unleashes a PB the other members of the party can opt to donate PB by pressing the Y button before the PB animations begin (the length of the grinding charge-up noise). Each donation costs 10% photon energy. By donating to another character's PB one will not receive experience from enemies killed (unless they already hit them), but will gain the benefits of Resta and Shifta & Deband. Donating isn't as effective as chaining PBs.
You can donate from a different room than the PB is in and still receive the benefits. Also, if you donate to a PB that has Leilla or Mylla and Youlla in it while dead, you will be revived at the end of the PB.

PB Chain And Donations
A team can opt to combine both chains and donations depending on how full everyone's PB gauges are. Effects will be as strong as the chained PBs plus the slight bonuses from the donated PBs, and the effects will be shared with all players involved.

PB Statistics
This is just to clarify a few misconceptions people may have about MAGs.
Synchro affects the rate at which your MAG gains its PB. Nothing else.
IQ affects the damage that your PB does (in conjunction with your character's level). Nothing else.
A MAG's DEF/POW/DEX/MIND do nothing to affect its damage or MCA rate (see below), but higher level MAGs generally have better IQ/Synch.
MCA's (MAG cast abilities, such as invulnerability), are not affected by IQ or Synch, but do seem to be affected by your level (the higher your level, the less the chance of your MAG activating one). I am not certain on this and would appreciate it if anyone could prove or disprove this.

How to Calculate Your PB's Level
The PB calculations are fairly simple. A MAG's PB is broken down into two parts. First, the MAG's IQ affects the level of the technique used. This is calculated as follows:
(MAG IQ/10)+1
What this means is that, at 200 IQ, your MAG would have a PB level of 21. The reason for the +1 is that this way, no matter what your MAG's synch, you will always have a PB of Lv1.
The second part is your character's level. I have no SPECIFICS for character level, but I can tell you that a Lv200 character's Estlla will make the enemies sit down and shut up more effectively than a Lv80 character's will.

How to Calculate Chained/Donated PB Levels
Chained/Donated PBs are also fairly easy to calculate, as long as we keep the above formula [(MAG IQ/10)+1] in mind. Simply add everyone's IQ together and divide by ten, then add 1. Ergo, with four players with maxed IQ, you would have Lv81 PBs. Keep in mind that EACH PB in the chain is at 81, no matter where they are. If you had a chain with Estlla, Pilla, Twins, and Estlla, you can bet that pretty much everything in the room will die. For those of you who don't want to do the calculations (and that's fine. :3), here are the simple PB calculations:
1 player = Lv21 PB max
2 players = Lv41 PB max
3 players = Lv61 PB max
4 players = Lv81 PB max

Donated PBs are treated in the same ways. For each time you hit Y, you donate 10% of your PB. Therefore, at the maximum amount of donation, 30%, you give the PBing player(s) an additional 60 IQ (assuming 200 IQ) to their PB(s), which translates into a full 6 levels. It's not a BIG difference, but it adds an additional edge to the PB.

Photon Blast Descriptions
PB: Estilla - A dolphin-like creature that attacks in a linear motion in the direction the character is facing. Damage is exceptionally high and range is about that of a handgun bullet. Damage is better at maximum IQ and increases notably with chains.
This is by far my (Nohra's) favorite PB. It does the most damage of all PBs except Golla, and has a fairly wide AoE around the dolphin.
PB: Farlla - A serpentine creature that attacks in a circular diameter around the character. Damage is moderate and radius is about that of a mechgun burst. Damage is better at maximum IQ and increases notably with chains.
This is by far the most useless PB. It is basically a weaker version of Pilla If you are a HU planning on raising a MAG, I recommend you give it to a Ranger if you want an attack PB, or a FO if you want Leilla.
PB: Golla - An elk-like creature that attacks a single target. Damage is the highest of all offensive PBs, but only one target will be attacked. Damage is better at maximum IQ and increases notably with chains.
Second most useless PB, it is extremely difficult to target an enemy with it. For pure damage, I recommend Estlla, it gets the job dome with far greater accuracy.
PB: Leilla - A mermaid-like creature that casts Resta. Gives better restoration of HP at maximum IQ and increases notably with chains.
A useful PB if you have a Force and don't want Golla, Farlla, or M&Y (Since, with level 30 SD, Force don't really need Lv21 SD when soloing). Players who donate their PB to this PB while dead will be revived at the end of the PB animation.
PB: Mylla & Youlla - A pair of bumbling twins that cast Shifta & Deband. For the level calculations, please refer to the beginning of the guide.
Players who donate their PB to this PB while dead will be revived at the end of the PB animation.
PB: Pilla - A celestial creature that attacks in a circular diameter around the character. Damage is exceptional and radius is about that of a mechgun burst. Damage is better at maximum IQ and increases notably with chains.
Very useful if surrounded, otherwise, stick with Estlla.

Original credit for the guide goes to VulpesMundi.
Italicized text indicates where I made major revisions to the original.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nohra on 2005-07-17 18:31 ]</font>

Sef
Jul 15, 2005, 03:50 PM
Besides the apostrophes, I'd say it looks good.

Glad I could help with even the tiniest stuff on there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Arislan
Jul 16, 2005, 04:42 AM
Changed. I took out the comments that were added after each PB description. People generally can make up their own minds as to what PB they want given the information, opinions in a fact just tend to cause debate.

Hrith
Jul 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
Estlla, not Estilla.

Leilla does Anti Lv.7, too

Getintothegame
Jul 17, 2005, 01:21 PM
Done.

By the way, do we have any idea of the level of Resta that the PB casts?

Edit: NYAH!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-07-17 11:26 ]</font>

Arislan
Jul 17, 2005, 01:23 PM
Fixed.

/edit Now see what happens when you get multiple people that can update guides? Things get done, TWICE! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2005-07-17 11:23 ]</font>

Tact
Jul 17, 2005, 01:42 PM
On 2005-07-15 13:45, Nohra wrote:

How to Calculate Your PB's Level
The PB calculations are fairly simple. A MAG's PB is broken down into two parts. First, the MAG's Synchro affects the level of the technique used. This is calculated as follows:
(MAG Synchro/10)+1
What this means is that, at 200 Synchro, your MAG would have a PB level of 21. The reason for the +1 is that this way, no matter what your MAG's synch, you will always have a PB of Lv1.
The second part is your character's level. I have no SPECIFICS for character level, but I can tell you that a Lv200 character's Estlla will make the enemies sit down and shut up more effectively than a Lv80 character's will.

Pardon me, but I believe maximum Sychro on a Mag is 120%, not 200%.

Arislan
Jul 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Fixed.

Tact
Jul 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
And, why don't I ever seem to notice everything?

If PB level is (Synchro/10)+1, and the max Synchro is 120, that means the PB level at 120 Synchro is 13, not 21.

Arislan
Jul 17, 2005, 01:55 PM
Ok, now, if that's so (and obviously, it is, math FTW) then why does it hold up that a 4 player PB calculates to a level 81?

/edit
Waitaminute, isn't it IQ that only goes to 120? Not 100% sure, and no high level mag to check...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2005-07-17 11:57 ]</font>

Arislan
Jul 17, 2005, 02:00 PM
Ok, so my brain is messed up this morning. Should have known that (Sync 120). So, again, why does it make a level 81 PB at the end? I'm going to take out the portion with calculations till we figure this one out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2005-07-17 12:02 ]</font>

Tact
Jul 17, 2005, 02:00 PM
I thought IQ went to 200, and Synchro to 120. My Rati has 120 Synchro, and it won't go any higher, but I don't know for sure the max IQ. (My Rati is the stupidest Rati ever, with an IQ of 36)

Nohra
Jul 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Hm. Sorry, I goofed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Okay, it's fixed now. Synch isn't the one that affects PB level, IQ is. Spent too much time raising MAGs lately. c.c The fact that the old guide said Synch and IQ affect PB (which isn't true) also kinda threw me off. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nohra on 2005-07-17 18:26 ]</font>

Arislan
Jul 17, 2005, 09:21 PM
Updated to the new version.