PDA

View Full Version : I need a name

Skuda
Jul 19, 2005, 02:11 AM
I've been working on a little art project lately, and I've come to a rather large bump into the road.

I've been trying to think up a general name for a group of elemental beings (gods if you will) that came from the desolate reaches of space.

my original name for them were the Cryos, but I've been having doubts.

can anyone help me with a name? or is the one I chose good enough?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2005-07-19 00:21 ]</font>

Skorpius
Jul 19, 2005, 03:27 AM
Cyros? >_>

CupOfCoffee
Jul 19, 2005, 03:32 AM
Los Guapos?

...Sorry. <_<

Sagasu
Jul 19, 2005, 05:04 AM
Now I'm not sure what would be appropriate for your setting, but Latin has yet to fail me when it comes to the need for fancy names. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

XenOmega
Jul 19, 2005, 10:56 AM
The Dioses?

ai_no_usagi
Jul 19, 2005, 11:08 AM
Cyros sounds good.

RoninJoku
Jul 19, 2005, 11:51 AM
You can go with a greek mythology sort of thing and do "Titans" ???

Blitzkommando
Jul 19, 2005, 12:20 PM
Cryos, sounds like the chryogenics? Big, frozen guys? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I am not sure what would be a good name, more specific 'powers' or abilities might help though. Although, if they are from the edges of space, it is rather cold there so kryos (the Greek from which chryo is from) might make some logical sense, in either spelling.

ColonD
Jul 19, 2005, 01:00 PM
... I think the name you have there sounds good, but if all else fails, look around for insipiration on video game cases or something. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anubis_
Jul 19, 2005, 10:30 PM
When coming up with names for stuff like that.. sometime it works out by putting two names together.. It works well in some cases..

Light Saber..

Starship Trooper..

Warp Drive..

But I'm sure you've probably already thought of that so..

I suggest looking up some stuff in an Encylopedia or a Dictionary for something that actually means something and then giving them that as a name..

Sometimes you find neat stuff...

Cryos does sound like frozen men.. But i guess its cool too..

InfinityXXX
Jul 19, 2005, 11:08 PM
Use old names of ancient civilization. In my comic S.W. I have the whole ancient heroes thing and each of the ancient heroes are named after african tribes.(Sotho, Xhosa,Ashanti, Pondo....)

Sharkyland
Jul 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
If you don't like Gods, Dieties... or however it is spelled.

Skuda
Jul 20, 2005, 12:04 AM
just a little info, the "Cryos" are god like creatures from the far reaches of space. they are sealed in a crystalic asteroid like cacoon, and are summoned to planets that have lost an elemental balance. They restore the elemental balance to a world, no matter what the cost.

each Cryos has the ability to govern, with full mastery, over their set type. There are a total of 7 elemental "Cryos" and 5 non-elemental.

this help with Ideas?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2005-07-19 22:06 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Jul 20, 2005, 12:24 AM
So theres 7, and some of them are elemenal and some of them aren't. Well try this, for like a Cryos of fire, have that cryos' name be Erif(fire backwards but it sounds almost like Ifrit from FF) or look up into a foreign language and find what fire means in that language and use that word.

Skuda
Jul 20, 2005, 12:26 AM
On 2005-07-19 22:24, InfinityXXX wrote:
So theres 7, and some of them are elemenal and some of them aren't. Well try this, for like a Cryos of fire, have that cryos' name be Erif(fire backwards but it sounds almost like Ifrit from FF) or look up into a foreign language and find what fire means in that language and use that word.

I've already given the "cryos" seperate names. I had a long thinking about that and am happy with my choices. now I just need a general name for the group

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2005-07-19 22:27 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Jul 20, 2005, 12:30 AM
OOOOOhhhhhh..I get it now.
hmmmmmmmm
Geez thats kind of hard. I can come up with a bunch of names for them as a group but they all sound corny.......ermmm.....The Cyrise(sai-raise), dunno, tryin to think of plural for cyros >.<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-07-19 22:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-07-19 22:31 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jul 20, 2005, 11:52 AM
I dunno, after you say they have been sealed in an asteroid for an indeterminant ammount of time, Cryos is looking even better. So, eleven in total, am I correct? The 7 Elementals, and 5 Non-Elemental?

Elbeka Otoivzio? Odinnadshat Realnostej? Dunno, both of those are "eleven entities" in Greek and Russian respectively. (First word in the Greek is Entity, second word of Russian is entity)

Ansatsu
Jul 20, 2005, 02:52 PM
the Matti (i dunno sounds ok) oooh ooh wait i know! Naxus!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ansatsu on 2005-07-20 12:53 ]</font>

SquashDemon
Jul 22, 2005, 04:52 PM
The Sinasts...I dunno I like it

Nisshoku
Jul 23, 2005, 05:04 PM
The Vexxis.

Dunno why that, but it just sounds interesting.

Scejntjynahl
Jul 25, 2005, 07:00 PM
I suggest this name: Erythrai