PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5 Announced (so soon!)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 23, 2005, 04:05 AM
Announced for XBOX 360 and PS3, "so much for the GC's exclusivity."

Link to a 1up.com breaking news story:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142136&did=1

Link to a 1up.com preview with 3 images:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142140&did=1

Rumor mill!:
Chris Redfield may be back?
Outdoor "desert" locale?
Brighter stages(which was previously announced) for a Resident Evil game?
Even more character added to the series staple of zombies, "Ganado's could talk in RE4, think of what else we could do with them!"
3 to 5 year wait for the game? Damns. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Deathscythealpha
Jul 23, 2005, 07:00 AM
Mmmmm, Resi5. Watched the video yesterday and it filled me with that fuzzy 'OMG, New Game' warmness.

Supposedly heat is going to play an important part in the game this time around. Capcom are not letting the cat fully out of the bag, but it appears you may have to rest in the shade at certain points to cool off.

And onto the PS3/Xbox360 thing, Capcom couldnt stick to an exclusivity clause if their life's depended on it.

Kizaragu
Jul 23, 2005, 08:25 AM
3-5 years? I just don't know if I can wait that long. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not so sure about the heat and brightness Capcom are now Incorporating into the series. Well for number 5 anyway.
I just don't think I'll be frightened of a zombie with a better tan than myself!
But then again, at first I was a little wary of enemies now having weapons in Resi4 but that worked out just fine. Capcom know what they're doing I guess. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And there is a lot of speculation that the character isn't in fact Chris and could be a complete new character. God I hope not.
There's been so many characters throughout the series it would be nice if they actually botherd to tie up a few lose ends and let you play as one of them.
If in fact it isn't Chris, I think it would be a nice touch if say it were Carlos from Resident Evil 3? You could find out what happened to Jill and maybe get a cameo from the Legendary Barry Burton?

Luis
Jul 23, 2005, 04:21 PM
well still a long wait and some changes could happen, like it did before with RE4, in my personal opinion i belive it could be for all 3 systems, and they are naming 360 and PS3 because they got the specs of them, but nobody got the specs for the NRev, in that case thinking as a software developer i cant offer the software for that console since i dont know what to expect on that hardware.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luis on 2005-07-23 14:22 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jul 23, 2005, 05:59 PM
Woah... 3-5 years? Really? That seems kind of odd condidering most development cycles these days... But that will allow them time to get all the new console kinks out...

I hope they don't take the series even further away from zombies... I don't want it to turn into an average shooter/action game... Where you fight terrorists to stop them from using nuclear weapons while you outrun explosions and sunlight...

Dangerous55
Jul 23, 2005, 06:35 PM
Bring back Zombies and keep 'em.

VioletSkye
Jul 23, 2005, 06:57 PM
On 2005-07-23 16:35, Dangerous55 wrote:
Bring back Zombies and keep 'em.

amen!! I really enjoyed RE4 but not as much as the previous games. I know there is alot of critisism levied against the play mechanics of the older games but truth to tell, I liked the tank controls of the older characters (I'm probably in the minority as far as that goes.) RE4 just didn't "feel" like an RE game. Also where is our next installment of Dino Crisis (flame me if you want, I liked that series http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

RoninJoku
Jul 23, 2005, 07:30 PM
Aye, RE4 seemed almost as if it was trying too hard to be something that wasn't RE at all... I mean don't get me wrong, the game was great... But 1)no zombies, 2)item pick-ups practically ruin the "survival horror", 3)the camera changes, (although mostly a welcome improvement)take away some very frightening moments, 4)The fast paced action gameplay gave off a completely different feel than the normal slow, nervous, frightening experience, 5)No ink ribbons and continue feature also take from the old experience, 6)Too much inventory space, 7)... Anything else I forgot...

Probably the only thing I can say I like more with no biased regrets is the aiming system...

Dangerous55
Jul 23, 2005, 07:59 PM
On 2005-07-23 16:57, VioletSkye wrote:
Also where is our next installment of Dino Crisis (flame me if you want, I liked that series http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

YES!!!

Well sorta yes, Dino Crisis 1 and 3 were good, but not that great. But Dino Crisis 2 was amazing, I rarely go back and beat gaems twice cause I'm lame like that. I beat DC2 like a billion times. A BILLION.

I love that game.

And yes, zombies should be back. RE4 was fun from when I played it but it wasn't RE.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 24, 2005, 03:27 AM
On 2005-07-23 17:30, RurouniJoku wrote:
Aye, RE4 seemed almost as if it was trying too hard to be something that wasn't RE at all... I mean don't get me wrong, the game was great... But 1)no zombies, 2)item pick-ups practically ruin the "survival horror", 3)the camera changes, (although mostly a welcome improvement)take away some very frightening moments, 4)The fast paced action gameplay gave off a completely different feel than the normal slow, nervous, frightening experience, 5)No ink ribbons and continue feature also take from the old experience, 6)Too much inventory space, 7)... Anything else I forgot...

To most people, that is what made RE:4 great.
All the improvements to the gameplay. It was a re-invention of the franchise. A lot of people were tired of the same ol' same old, which made it easy for there to be a thousand and one Resident Evil clone games.

If they had ink ribbons, you would have way more unnecessary backtracking to find more, plan ahead for inventory space, etc. Just plain hassle.

Continuing gets you back to the action faster, instead of constantly re-loading your save file(loading screens on previous hardware was always boring downtime). But to be honest, when I died a bit in my first time through I did load/restart always rather than continue. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And your #2, what do you mean exactly, care to elaborate? REsident Evil has always had item pick ups. Do you mean the items sold for money/upgrades? Or too much ammo?(which I can admit was a problem in RE:4)

There have been what, 5 games with almost the same gameplay until RE:4 came along. Not counting the spinoffs.

If you want the old gameplay, you can always go play the old games. I do every so often. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-07-24 01:28 ]</font>

Puppet_Papaya
Jul 24, 2005, 12:11 PM
All I'd like is for Resident Evil to be a horror game again. Nobody makes horror games anymore!
3-5 years? That's rediculous.

Zzzzzz
Jul 24, 2005, 05:05 PM
I've seen the preview. Nothing very exicting, but then again it seemed like a short FMV movie, so we'll just have to wait and see.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 25, 2005, 03:38 AM
On 2005-07-24 10:11, Puppet_Papaya wrote:
All I'd like is for Resident Evil to be a horror game again. Nobody makes horror games anymore!
3-5 years? That's rediculous.

Eh, well no one will really be scared by a game anymore. Especially when its the tried and true formula. You've seen it before, "deja vu." http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif At least by trying new things, they might be able to scare us again, but then again the games were played when we were younger, so it isn't really that shocking anymore right?

Also Resident Evil:Code Veronica on Dreamcast was first released in 2000, Resident Evil 4 was released in January of this year (2005), how soon we all forget? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But that one did have about 3 restarts from scratch from what I've heard. Hopefully this installment won't take that long and also not have 3 restarts from scratch as well.

RoninJoku
Jul 25, 2005, 12:31 PM
The years do seem to pass incredibly quickly... -_- Before we know it we'll be waiting on the next-next-gen consoles and the games of today will be established classics of old, etc... etc... And then we die =|

Ansatsu
Jul 25, 2005, 12:52 PM
lol BB will be a classic then

chaos89
Jul 26, 2005, 09:22 PM
3-5 years! wow thats a long time. i hope the game comes out before that

Luis
Jul 28, 2005, 08:05 PM
HAYABUSA-FMW- is totally right about Resident Evil 4, i got Resident Evil Remake, and i going to bought Resident Evil 0 and thats all, but talking about resident evil 4, i agree about no zombies, but let me remind that those "zombies" wasnt nothing like the 70' movies, they were a virus that makes the body only look for food (thats a nice definition of zombie btw)

but still on RE4, the ganados were "infected" also acting like a smart zombie. But in all RE series they found a way that the enemy is infected.

The graphics on RE4 were amazing, just a bit more than RE remake and RE 0.

please vote RE4 best game of the year do not let Halo 2 or any other game win the game of the year that would suck a lot.

Jett_Kakashi
Jul 28, 2005, 08:24 PM
To continue from Luis' point, and there will be SPOILERSin my post, there were also a few things about the Las Plagas.

They are actually pretty old. In one part of the game, after fighting Slazars right hand, you find yourself in a mine, and find rocks with fossils of the Las Plagas.

Also, Ada,Wesker, and Krauser planned on restoring Umbrella right? Do yourself a favor guys. Think of what could happen if the Las Plagas was infected with the either the T,G, or the T-Veronica Virus.

Im pretty sure Capcom saw this, so we're probably going to expect something a bit more deadly than the Las Ganados.Hey, maybe we'll get another "Nemesis" or "Tyrant."

Skett
Aug 1, 2005, 01:58 AM
On 2005-07-23 14:21, Luis wrote:
nobody got the specs for the NRev, in that case thinking as a software developer i cant offer the software for that console since i dont know what to expect on that hardware.

Um, yeah, publishers have seen the entire console and know the specs. I believe some have dev kits too.

RoninJoku
Aug 1, 2005, 03:07 AM
On 2005-07-28 18:24, Jett_Kakashi wrote:
To continue from Luis' point, and there will be SPOILERSin my post, there were also a few things about the Las Plagas.

They are actually pretty old. In one part of the game, after fighting Slazars right hand, you find yourself in a mine, and find rocks with fossils of the Las Plagas.

Also, Ada,Wesker, and Krauser planned on restoring Umbrella right? Do yourself a favor guys. Think of what could happen if the Las Plagas was infected with the either the T,G, or the T-Veronica Virus.

Im pretty sure Capcom saw this, so we're probably going to expect something a bit more deadly than the Las Ganados.Hey, maybe we'll get another "Nemesis" or "Tyrant."

Hey... I never thought about that! T-infected Las Plagas??? Sounds scary as hell! o.o

Split
Aug 3, 2005, 07:19 PM
In case anyone didn't notice, the combat knife is returning, you can see it's scabbard/sheath/whatever an the main character's back. Heh heh heh...