PDA

View Full Version : My brother plus internet relationships...

Saiffy
Jul 23, 2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, my bro got himself a boyfriend, I couldn't be happier for him, problem is. he lives 12 hours away...

So yes, internet relationship! I really am worried though, he's very happy, but.. It's my strong belief that internet relationships do not work, despite no matter how hard you're willing to work for them, they simply don't work out. And he could be setting himself up for a big heartbreak. He says that Josh(The boyfriend) will be coming up here for university, but that's two years away. Hell, my bro will be over halfway done his school then. I was talking to him a few minutes ago, and he just wouldn't accept the fact that most internet relationships don't work.(He's very stubborn too <_<)

Ugh... I don't know what to tell him that'll prevent him from hurting himself. T_T

Sayara
Jul 23, 2005, 09:27 PM
Weren't you in one of those?

Sadly, if things don't go well, he's gonna have to take the pain and stuff like a man.

Perhaps it'll be a good lesson.

navci
Jul 23, 2005, 09:32 PM
On 2005-07-23 19:23, Saiffwin wrote:

So yes, internet relationship! I really am worried though, he's very happy, but.. It's my strong belief that internet relationships do not work, despite no matter how hard you're willing to work for them, they simply don't work out. And he could be setting himself up for a big heartbreak. ..... I was talking to him a few minutes ago, and he just wouldn't accept the fact that most internet relationships don't work.(He's very stubborn too <_<)

Once again, I think you are being overly pessimistic. Just because you don't think yours will work out doesn't mean that others' don't. Try not to see the worst side of things now? A lot of things were deemed impossible for other people (a blind and deaf person be a writer? a black man to become a political influence? woman to vote?) Lots of things were said to never work out, impossible. But if you do set your heart in it I don't see why you won't suceed. Besides, even if you don't, there are things to be learn from each experience. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right?

Ugh... I don't know what to tell him that'll prevent him from hurting himself. T_T

Basically. You don't tell him anything. Well, you have already said what you wanted to say, and he isn't changing his mind. All you can do is to go into support mode. Acknowledge that that's what he wanted, be there when he needs you, and none of those "told ya" if things don't work out. Protective can be good, but sometimes hurting oneself CAN be essential to one's growth. Just be there for him.

roygbiv
Jul 23, 2005, 10:42 PM
Ah is your brother cute? I am like totally less than 12 hours away... (uh huh... >_>;)

But yeah... hate to say it but internet relationships I give the thumbs down to just on principal. People essentially can strain whatever information they give, and it creates a bad foundation for things to start out on (i.e. not total honesty).

Solstis
Jul 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
Roy, you swinger you.

Well, everyone told me that starting a relationship just as the school year came to a close was a bad idea.

"Long distance relationships never work!"

Granted, we'll be seeing each other a month from now (or less), so it's a medium range relationship (and we don't live that far away).

Basically, they're going to HAVE to see each other before that two year mark, though. Being apart that long can create drama. Drama is bad!

I wish him and you the best of luck.

Evil_Althena8
Jul 25, 2005, 01:20 AM
I was always under the impression that internet relationships can't work unless somehow you can meet the person. Whatever works for him...if he gets hurt then he will learn a lesson from it.

I never really got it though....I always have to have real contact with people. I'm always best when I'm face to face with someone, that way they can take in all of you. When you can do activities together...I guess I'm just a spontaneous person and crave that sort of stuff. I'm not saying it won't work though...it just depends on the commitment level really. To me, internet friends are just that. I may care about them to some degree, but they can never get past a certain point with me.

Sharkyland
Jul 25, 2005, 03:28 AM
50/50

geewj
Jul 25, 2005, 04:34 AM
It's his life so let him live it.

If it works, great. If it doesn't, he learns some things about himself and life.

win win

Daikarin
Jul 26, 2005, 06:57 AM
12 hours? Geez, I've met folks with longer distances that made it work out, by a simple twist of events of fate.

If it's meant to be, then it'll happen. Don't just let the distance get to you, since it can or not happen.

But even if it doesn't, you can't be afraid to live life. Let him give it a shot.