PDA

View Full Version : Building habits...o:

Saiffy
Jul 25, 2005, 05:11 PM
I'm trying to get into better shape, getting more exercising, biking, walks, etc.

Problem is, I suck at building habits... I'm tried to get into shape before, but I always stop exercising or whatever. Anybody have any tips for trying to keep habits going? Dumb question now that I think about it, worth a shot though? T_T;

PJ
Jul 25, 2005, 05:14 PM
Keep the goal in mind.

Last August I started doing excercises in my rooms random times during the day, after I slept, before I went to bed, and after I ate. After a bit of time, I made it progressively harder and all that jazz.

I've kept it up for a year, it works! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

RoninJoku
Jul 25, 2005, 05:26 PM
Good luck! I can't keep habits either... I always end up rebounding to bad habits and away from good habits...

Dhylec
Jul 25, 2005, 05:32 PM
i can only think of motivation & inspiration as the mean to actually keep up a good habit
say, if you want to exercise, watch any program or even movie that encourages you to get up & do it

Anubis_
Jul 25, 2005, 06:22 PM
i can only think of motivation & inspiration as the mean to actually keep up a good habit

I agree.. You need to find your motivation..

Another thing is to come up with a good workout schedual..

Now if your really serious about it.. you should pick up some MENS HEALTH magazines.. They always have good excersie and diet bit in their..

I'm not saying you have to change your diet.. Cause I dont.. but It would help dramaticaly..

Also It also helps If you put your activities on a schedual.. If you'd like to run certain times of the week.. certain things like that..

I find a schedual is the best way to keep it going.. cause if you find a way to get your excersie into the regular rutine of your day, it'll become part of your regular day..

Good luck. I'll pray for you..

Fyrin
Jul 25, 2005, 06:56 PM
I run everyday for 2 hours at 4:30 a.m.
It keeps me in shape and allows me not to be so energetic during the afternoon.
I also eat a lot of food to help keep in shape.
Odd isn't it...

Sef
Jul 25, 2005, 07:15 PM
Have someone excercise with you.

My dad and I used to jog every morning... Now that he's gone I don't jog at all.

Usually he'd just wake me up at like 6 and say, "Get up we're going jogging."

Fyrin
Jul 25, 2005, 07:25 PM
Everyone in my house is usually asleep. Though... I did go jogging with my dad once for about 5 or 6 miles, of course by that time my dad usually gives up. I try to make Quo run with me sometimes but he just thinks I'm crazy.

EphekZ
Jul 25, 2005, 09:20 PM
motivation and blah blah blah

heres some real motivation that gets me going

"good habits are just as hard to break as bad habits"

yep its so true

Jason
Jul 26, 2005, 09:31 AM
On 2005-07-25 17:15, Sef wrote:

My dad and I used to jog every morning... Now that he's gone I don't jog at all.

That's touching. :'( Father and son, eh?

Sagasu
Jul 26, 2005, 10:08 AM
On 2005-07-25 17:15, Sef wrote:

Made you feel like it was an obligation rather than an option?

I suggest either getting someone to exercise with you, or find some sort of competition.

While comparing yourself to another may not be politically correct, it sure as hell can give you motivation to get your ass into shape. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

KaFKa
Jul 26, 2005, 10:30 AM
Get a friend that wants to do it with you.

Or even better, two friends.

...Or a drill sergeant that looks like genetically engineered gorilla screaming in your face. That works too.

In all seriousness, though. Get a bunch of friends that want to do it as well and go exercise with each other. You might as well, right?

TheOneHero
Jul 26, 2005, 10:32 AM
On 2005-07-26 08:08, Sagasu wrote:
I suggest either getting someone to exercise with you, or find some sort of competition.

While comparing yourself to another may not be politically correct, it sure as hell can give you motivation to get your ass into shape. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Excellent advice.

Since I became homeschooled this year, (and having moved), I have no one really to compete with; thus I care less about how fit I am. =/

(However I am planning to getting my g/f to work out with me. She needs some muscle too!