PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942

Ian D
Aug 16, 2002, 11:38 AM
Just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this game since the online demo was released today at 12:00 PM EST.

Here's a link (http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/battlefield1942/bf1942_mp_demo.exe.html), Utah seemed much faster to me, but that's probably just location.

Dangerous55
Aug 16, 2002, 11:55 AM
....if its anything like WW2 Online you will HATE IT.

Shadow_Blade
Aug 16, 2002, 03:05 PM
I'm not really to fond of realistic shooters, but i might make an exception for this one...

X-thirteen
Aug 16, 2002, 10:14 PM
On 2002-08-16 13:05, Shadow_Blade wrote:
I'm not really to fond of realistic shooters, but i might make an exception for this one...

its not realistic. britian should not be using the BAR or the Thompson. and why is the mp44/stg44 in there when it wasnt put into production until 1943. and why does america not have a garand? its the rifle that won the war... and since when did the japanese use higgins boats?

too much historicaly inaccurate crap in this game to make me hate it...

RavenTW
Aug 16, 2002, 10:52 PM
I prefer knowing about the real thing, not trying to relive it via a crappy FPS.

Dangerous55
Aug 16, 2002, 11:42 PM
On 2002-08-16 20:14, X-thirteen wrote:
. britian should not be using the BAR or the Thompson. and why is the mp44/stg44 in there when it wasnt put into production until 1943. and why does america not have a garand? its the rifle that won the war... and since when did the japanese use higgins boats?

too much historicaly inaccurate crap in this game to make me hate it...

They did use the Tommy, but everything else you said is right.

Dabra
Aug 20, 2002, 01:59 PM
WHo cares about the history stuff,i could care less if i had a Jedi knight 2 sniper in it or a Cowboy handgun, as long as i can shoot damnit!

Btw i've come to like the game, it's really cool, especially sniping and bombarding with the planes.

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2002, 02:13 PM
I'll stick with my Operation Flashpoint.

Nothing smells like fun more than carpet bombing the country side forest region under the assumption that a small army of infantry are marching their way through, who upon surviving your bombardment and exiting the forest, will be greeted by artillery rounds from 5 artillery peices stationed at the other side of the valley, supressing them as my APC's and machine gun totting jeeps go in for cleanup.

God..so sweet is victory. It can be smelt, tasted and felt.

Dangerous55
Aug 20, 2002, 05:58 PM
On 2002-08-20 12:13, ABDUR101 wrote:

God..so sweet is victory. It can be smelt, tasted and felt.

Ah, I just had that feeling twice in Age of Empires 2, I kicked some Turk ass.

On a side note- I thought Operation Flashpoint was a FPS.

ABDUR101
Aug 21, 2002, 01:04 AM
On 2002-08-20 15:58, Dangerous55 wrote:

Operation Flashpoint is more so a simulation than a FPS. I mean, if you walk and try to shoot, your bullets are flying way off target, so you have to stay either behind cover or "get them first".

You can get in any vehicle, from airplanes, helicopters, tanks, APCs, 5-ton trucks, jeeps, civilian vehicles, boats...

You can only carry one main weapon, like an M16, and then anyone that dies you can take all their equipment(ammo, grenades, etc), depending on how much they did'nt waste.

That and you're playing on islands that are kilometers in size, even if you use a vehicle it takes alittle while to get from one end to the other. o_O

http://www.flashpoint1985.com I beleive is the main site. And there are numerous fansites that offer loads of new weapons, vehicles, islands and add-ons for the mission editor(which is so easy to use it's funny).

I can't try Battlefield 1942 thanks to my idiotic connection, otherwise I'd of commented on it by now.

X-thirteen
Aug 21, 2002, 01:06 AM
On 2002-08-20 15:58, Dangerous55 wrote:

you can switch inbetween 3rd and 1st person views.