PDA

View Full Version : Short Rant: 'Rents

TheAntagonist
Aug 6, 2005, 07:34 AM
I'm 13 years old now, and my parents still restrict my internet connections with others. I only have an hour online each, and they blocked many site where I used to play games. (Who gave them the AOL 'Keep your kids in check' handbook?) They're also somewhat not technologically smart. Whenever I ask for permission to go on a site, they most definitely go on a rant about how they didn't even have a television when they were a kid. The only reason they do this is because they want to stall out the time, and never let me make my arguement. Also there are things like no online games (including PSO). They're convinced someone out there is playing PSO, and wants to find out where I live so they can come and molest me, or kidnap me. Except they tehmselves don't know an instance where this has actually happened. I really want to play online, I have the funds, and I know a bunch of nice people from PSOW and UForce who may play with me. It's so boring offline...if only I lived out of the house.

ColonD
Aug 6, 2005, 08:10 AM
Just hold up your hand when they're talking and say mom or dad repeatedly until they listen, and when they do just say:

"It is impossible for any players on PSO to find where I live and kinap/whatever."

And if they say anything about the makers trying, just say:

"The makers are in japan. So, thats impossible too."

If they say anything about you being their baby, blah blah. Say:

"Yeah, everyone is someone's baby, and I'm not the future king of england, so I'll be fine mom/dad."

And if they say anything about hackers or something, reply:

"Learn the computer. Hackers would both have to live near here, and somehow, hack into a japanesse severs, know what it says, and somehow not get caught and banned from the game." (If I said something incorrect in that line, someone please correct me.)

If they interupt you after the first sentance or something, ask that they listen. And if they don't, say something about how bad their parrenting is, then say after, that all you want them to do is listen. (And get persuaded, but that will be left unmentioned in worded parts. XD )

Tell if any of that works. I've become pretty good at persuading parrents.

TheAntagonist
Aug 6, 2005, 12:28 PM
excellent. I guess I'll try, but they do not listen to logic very often.

ColonD
Aug 6, 2005, 02:45 PM
They'll listen to their own child if they are acting rather calm. That is one thing I learned about parents.

And keep talking to them about it. But don't get mad or whiney, or anything like that.

InfinityXXX
Aug 6, 2005, 02:52 PM
I know how you feel Antagonist. I use to play Ragnarok Online but one day my old cpu caught a virus and it crashed. My mom got extremely mad and blamed me and Ragnarok Online for it and banned me from playing any online games on any cpu that she buys.(i'm saving for my own)

*The real reason the cpu crashed is because she use to leave DSL on when the cpu was off, thus our virus security was disabled*

Rageous
Aug 6, 2005, 03:50 PM
I had to build my own computer when i was 13...and it was an Apple II...and i had to code my own games for it...stop bitching and go out and play baseball or something. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It's good that your parents limit your online time, even though 1 hour is kind of extreme. But you should interact with actual human beings atleast until after you graduate highschool.

InfinityXXX
Aug 6, 2005, 04:35 PM
Its good to get some fresh air and stretch body. I'm not assuming that anyone hear doesn't. You don't have to play sports but do what i do. Take a jog around the neighborhood in the morning. Again, i'm not assuming that anyone hear doesn't.

Daikarin
Aug 6, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hey TA, long time no see.

First off, let me start by reminding you of something you already know: Your parents pay your electric bill, they payed for your home consoles and games, and this is just the start. The fact that you can get to play at all should be a bliss at all.

When I was your age, I was only allowed to play "OFFLINE" during the weekends, and the only game I had was Sonic CD. But I'm sure you've heard a lot of talks like this, right? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Now, you have a point. Times change, and parents can be square-minded. I'm not saying yours are, I'm saying mine are. You don't wanna know how much I had to talk my dad into about how useful the internet was, and he's the kind of guy who only does something when he hears that it's good from 5 or 6 people.

Sometimes, you have to know how to make a point to them, you know? Tell them that you're not a rascal, that you work hard (at school. you do, right? Have your brother serve as a witness http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif) and that only ask for that.

About the internet stuff part, just tell him that just as there are bad people out there, there's good people out there watching out for you. Just like in any place.

Good luck, and see you online.

InfinityXXX
Aug 6, 2005, 08:58 PM
What could you do to please your parents heavily. Find out and do it. It may work.(emphasis on may)

TheAntagonist
Aug 7, 2005, 07:21 AM
Okay, thanks everyone. I don't know if I'll ever convince them to let me play ANY game online, let alone unblock TV stations and take away my time limit (or at least lengthen it. I do get outside and ride my bike usually once, twice a day. I can't try bribing them or anything, as the last poster suggested, they're not stupid, and the person who said I was whining too much about it, this IS a rant. I don't complain to my parents, seeing as I know they won't listen until I'm 21 (or something)

ColonD
Aug 7, 2005, 05:56 PM
I didn't say you whined (if that was directed at me.) I was just saying thats one of the worse possible things to do.

Sigh, I wish you'll be able to get online more. Its lots of fun too.

TheAntagonist
Aug 8, 2005, 05:13 PM
It wasn't you and the word was bitching. I tried my best, but destroying my parents' mental blocks was beyond my skills.

EphekZ
Aug 8, 2005, 06:42 PM
I only live with my mom and she is very two faced

its usually goes liek this of the sort

me:hey mom I have the money know can I get GC online(this was quite awhile ago)

her: SURE!! I PROMISE we'll go this weekend

ZOMG WTF BBQSAUCE

I didnt get to go

its been a couple years and my mom lightened up I got way more priviledges and stuff haha Im still trying to bribe her to get my compy in my room

just hold on tight theres a good side to everything =)

take my advice however you want but this is all I have to say

-EphekZ