PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Should I get it?

Bot-Bot
Aug 9, 2005, 08:31 PM
Heres my delema...

I was "into" PSO episode 1, 2 & 3 about 6 months ago. Then, I got myself grounded for bad grades. >.< So, now ungrounded, I got back "into" PSO for about a month now. My HL is good untill Sep. 1st or 2nd or whatever, and I'm wondering if I should just cancel that one and go to Blue Burst untill PSU comes out.

I was thinking about this because PSO has begun to get old, doing the same things over and over again.

I have heard many good things and I was wondering if it's worth it for about 4-5 months to switch to BB?

Kaio666
Aug 9, 2005, 08:38 PM
well you have episode 4 with new enemies and weapons and all that good stuff. theres no offline version though, but most people are playing BB now so if you want new stuff and more players than BB is probably the way to go. But if your like me and A) dont like the idea of having your char on your comp/mem card and B) dont like the idea of no offline, then ep 1+2 and 3 are probably still your best bet. just what you prefer i suppose.

Kazlan
Aug 9, 2005, 10:15 PM
well the character is saved on the server not to your computer

and there may not be offline but there is one player mode which is the same as offline on gc. only you have to be online to play it thats the only bad thing.

If your bored with gc the only difference is bb has ep4 and doesn't have all of the content of gc yet. if your not having fun with gc I don't think bb is the answer to your problem. They are almost the same game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yui on 2005-08-09 20:16 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yui on 2005-08-09 20:19 ]</font>

Infiniteque
Aug 10, 2005, 08:47 AM
Cross-posted from another forum on the subject of GC PSO, PSO BB comparison:

GC PSO Pros:
01. Offline Mode. Your characters and items will stay with you to the end of time. Even if the servers are shut down, at least you can still play this multiplayer-focused in which playing with others is what makes the game, by yourself offline.
02. Hm.. well.. I guess it could count as a pro that you could use AR to get every single item in the game if you so chose? Especially the ones you're not ever supposed to see.
03. It's five cents cheaper than playing BB!
04. You can play with EU, JP, and US players!
05. If you really have the time, or if you're really just that bored.. you can make an infinite amount of characters depending on how many memory cards you want to buy. I mean, you COULD just delete a character and start a new one, but I'm sure that if this really matters to you, you probably want to "collect" as many characters as you do items. (I only added this since people keep mentioning it like it's really that big of a deal.)
06. You can think of yourself as a hardcore PSO player by playing an unsupported game until the very day when the servers shut down...

PSO BB Pros:
01. No widespread cheating like in previous versions of the game.
02. More, and real protection against cheating that we can actually SEE being done with SEGA's GameGuard, server-side saving, and other promised prevention methods.
03. For five cents more per month versus older versions, you get a whole new Episode, which contains new enemies, items, areas, music, and story.
04. Though this isn't a big factor, it is a factor: Graphics are a lot better than any other version of PSO to date.
05. More players online than the combined US, JP, and EU servers on a previous version.
06. Online egos are everywhere. But there sure are less here than on a certain previous version!
07. No more "BNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT." And if the game does freeze/crash, at least your items aren't all gone.
08. The rate of which they are updating PSO BB in it's infancy is much faster than that of GC PSO.
09. If someone is being an ass, get the ID# and report them. Thank you SEGA.
10. Any and everything available in GC PSO, can and will be available in PSO BB with the exception of the GBA extras. Something I'm sure ALL the GC PSO players cared a whole lot about. (The NiGHTS mini-game was really cool though; hell, it was better than the original game itself)
11. The ability to ADD brand new content to the game at any given moment. In theory, if they so chose they could add an ENTIRE Episode to BB if they wanted, without us having to buy a bullshit "PSO Plus."
12. Oh snap, that reminds me: PSO BB is a free download.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Majiteque on 2005-08-10 07:37 ]</font>

Jason
Aug 10, 2005, 09:20 AM
On 2005-08-10 06:47, Majiteque wrote:

GC PSO Pros:
1. Offline Mode. Your characters and items will stay with you to the end of time. Even if the servers are shut down, at least you can still play this multiplayer-focused in which playing with others is what makes the game, by yourself offline.

2. Hm.. well.. I guess it could count as a pro that you could use AR to get every single item in the game if you so chose? Especially the ones you're not ever supposed to see.

3. It's five cents cheaper than playing BB!

4. You can play with EU, JP, and US players!

5. If you really have the time, or if you're really just that bored.. you can make an infinite amount of characters depending on how many memory cards you want to buy. I mean, you COULD just delete a character and start a new one, but I'm sure that if this really matters to you, you probably want to "collect" as many characters as you do items. (I only added this since people keep mentioning it like it's really that big of a deal.)

6. You can think of yourself as a hardcore PSO player by playing an unsupported game until the very day when the servers shut down...

PSO BB Pros:

1. No widespread cheating like in previous versions of the game.

2. More, and real protection against cheating that we can actually SEE being done with SEGA's GameGuard, server-side saving, and other promised prevention methods.

3. For five cents more per month versus older versions, you get a whole new Episode, which contains new enemies, items, areas, music, and story.

4. Though this isn't a big factor, it is a factor: Graphics are a lot better than any other version of PSO to date.

5. More players online than the combined US, JP, and EU servers on a previous version.

6. Online egos are everywhere. But there sure are less here than on a certain previous version!

7. No more "BNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT." And if the game does freeze/crash, at least your items aren't all gone.

8. The rate of which they are updating PSO BB in it's infancy is much faster than that of GC PSO.

9. If someone is being an ass, get the ID# and report them. Thank you SEGA.

10. Any and everything available in GC PSO, can and will be available in PSO BB with the exception of the GBA extras. Something I'm sure ALL the GC PSO players cared a whole lot about. (The NiGHTS mini-game was really cool though; hell, it was better than the original game itself)

11. The ability to ADD brand new content to the game at any given moment. In theory, if they so chose they could add an ENTIRE Episode to BB if they wanted, without us having to buy a bullshit "PSO Plus."

12. Oh snap, that reminds me: PSO BB is a free download.[/i]

What if you lied and the person really wasn't being an ass? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Either way, that's funny how you put it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Infiniteque
Aug 10, 2005, 09:35 AM
That's a good question actually.

I don't know how SEGA/Sonic Team would verify this, and prevent such a feature from being heavily abused.

PJ
Aug 10, 2005, 09:52 AM
Frankly, being restricted to 4 characters is enough to keep me away from BB. And besides, you need a decent computer to have BB looking good... or to run at all >_> *hinthint*

Infiniteque
Aug 10, 2005, 10:06 AM
On 2005-08-10 07:52, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Frankly, being restricted to 4 characters is enough to keep me away from BB. And besides, you need a decent computer to have BB looking good... or to run at all >_> *hinthint*

This is true.

-eyes my Normal Graphics setting at the lowest possible resolution-

This is very, very true.

Klakalou
Aug 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
On 2005-08-10 06:47, Majiteque wrote:

GC PSO Pros:
01. Offline Mode. Your characters and items will stay with you to the end of time. Even if the servers are shut down, at least you can still play this multiplayer-focused in which playing with others is what makes the game, by yourself offline.
02. Hm.. well.. I guess it could count as a pro that you could use AR to get every single item in the game if you so chose? Especially the ones you're not ever supposed to see.
03. It's five cents cheaper than playing BB!
04. You can play with EU, JP, and US players!
05. If you really have the time, or if you're really just that bored.. you can make an infinite amount of characters depending on how many memory cards you want to buy. I mean, you COULD just delete a character and start a new one, but I'm sure that if this really matters to you, you probably want to "collect" as many characters as you do items. (I only added this since people keep mentioning it like it's really that big of a deal.)
06. You can think of yourself as a hardcore PSO player by playing an unsupported game until the very day when the servers shut down...

PSO BB Pros:
01. No widespread cheating like in previous versions of the game.
02. More, and real protection against cheating that we can actually SEE being done with SEGA's GameGuard, server-side saving, and other promised prevention methods.
03. For five cents more per month versus older versions, you get a whole new Episode, which contains new enemies, items, areas, music, and story.
04. Though this isn't a big factor, it is a factor: Graphics are a lot better than any other version of PSO to date.
05. More players online than the combined US, JP, and EU servers on a previous version.
06. Online egos are everywhere. But there sure are less here than on a certain previous version!
07. No more "BNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT." And if the game does freeze/crash, at least your items aren't all gone.
08. The rate of which they are updating PSO BB in it's infancy is much faster than that of GC PSO.
09. If someone is being an ass, get the ID# and report them. Thank you SEGA.
12. Oh snap, that reminds me: PSO BB is a free download.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Majiteque on 2005-08-10 07:37 ]</font>

AND u can enjoy GC PSO offline with 3 friends.

Nai_Calus
Aug 10, 2005, 01:36 PM
*eyes computer that's by no means a slouch on specs other than having a blah graphics card that can't run BB to look any better than DC PSO* Oh yeah, those circle shadows and nonexistant reflections are sexy and sure blow GC out of the water.

*eyes the fact that hey, there is cheating on BB and the S-Rank twin he lost to a data glitch* Oh yeah. One hundred percent secure. Not a chance in hell of losing anything ever.

*eyes three memory cards sitting by GC, all of which have characters he uses* Oh yeah, you'd never need or want more than four characters.

*eyes offline mode* Oh yeah, you'd never want to play PSO when the servers were being maintained or if your internet connection went out or after they take the servers down.

*eyes lack of server linkage on BB and also eyes Alcyone 6* Oh yeah, you wouldn't ever want to play with the JP players for any reason.

Oh snap, FSOD. Oh wait, I bank my stuff, I didn't lose anything. Oh snap, power outage, I lost x. Oh wait. I know how to take care of that, unlike on BB where I'd just be screwed like when I lost my S-Rank Twin.

Pretty much the only thing BB really has going for it over GC is Ep4, and as for that, well... It's cute, but I'd rather ST actually resolved a storyline for once instead of making yet another one. 9_9

(Yes, I AM sick to death of GC bashing and people whining about how much the game they played for two-three years 'sucks'. Well why'd you play it, then?)

Lucas2k4
Aug 12, 2005, 01:47 AM
*Eyes PSOBB with 1027x768 res and high graphics.*

Life is tough. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I really like BB, I just got it last week, but lately there's been a lot of script kiddies crashing the servers. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

SatanV4
Aug 12, 2005, 04:28 AM
BB pwns GCPSO and PSOX by far. And as long as u dont play in Cronus1 u wont crash 2 much.

i just gotta love actually legit trading. 100% se><y red sword.. all mine muhahaha.

Jack
Aug 12, 2005, 06:05 AM
Running the game at 1280 x 1024 with 4XAA/AF and everything maxed with not a single hint of slowdown is very nice. But then again, my computer is brilliant.

Vuman
Aug 14, 2005, 08:00 PM
Well I'll be lucky if I can run 800X600 at normal when there isn't too much happening on the screen. Halo for PC is even more resource consuming so this gives me more of an incentive to buy better parts.

One of the things that annoys me the most about Blue Burst is the targetting system. If you try to turn towards the enemy you might miss the green arrows and it's kind of annoying sometimes. Other than that I like the interface.

Russian
Aug 15, 2005, 02:57 AM
My computer sucks ass. I won't lie, it does.

I have an ancient, pre-built refurbished eMachines PC with 128 MB RAM and an on-board video card with drivers that haven't been updated since 2001.

Yet, I can run BB just fine, without one hint of slowdown. Granted, it's on the low settings and 800 x 600, but I take what I can get XD

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm finally getting better parts, so I'll be basking in the glory of higher resolution settings and detail soon enough ^___^

Lucas2k4
Aug 15, 2005, 03:06 AM
I have 1GB of ram and an ATI 9250, and I can't play mines with 1024x768, so I just turn them down to medium and leave them there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Vuman
Aug 15, 2005, 07:17 PM
Lucas I have a ATI 9200, these things suck like anything. I think by today's standards a decent ATI card would have to be like 9500 at least. I only have 256 MB of DDR PC3200 Ram and I need to upgrade like crazy.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 17, 2005, 05:33 PM
BB's where it's at, really. Because it's on the PC, the release is not "frozen in stone", the game can be updated with fixes and enhancements on the fly without requiring you to buy another version. Hell, Ep4 is a FREE DOWNLOAD for players outside JP, and Ult's available and a lot of the previous version's features are being unlocked at a good pace as we speak.

Lucas2k4
Aug 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
On 2005-08-15 17:17, Vuman wrote:
Lucas I have a ATI 9200, these things suck like anything. I think by today's standards a decent ATI card would have to be like 9500 at least. I only have 256 MB of DDR PC3200 Ram and I need to upgrade like crazy.

I know but it's better than the onboard card most computers come with. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

anwserman
Aug 18, 2005, 06:07 PM
It all depends.

Every version of PSO has its own set of pros and cons. It is up to you to go through and weigh the pros and cons of each version of each other and see which one stands up most.

Personally, PSO:BB is my last version of PSO that I'll get before PSU. I have both PSO on the X-Box, Dreamcast v.1, Ep.1/2/3 on the Gamecube, and of course Blue Burst.

With my dislike of PSO-GC and the problems experienced online (Ep.3 is fun but nobody ever played online), how PSO-X is going to hell, and that PSO:BB is now Sonic Team's favorite lovechild of the versions... it was the right choice. I still have my old characters on my consoles if I want to play again, but PSO:BB is what I'm sticking with.

EDIT: I play PSO:BB on my laptop with 1024x768 resolution... Radeon X300... but I haven't had too many problems. Though, it was fun maxxing the settings out once and getting like 5 FPS (including 4x antialiasing. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) Plus, my laptop was running on battery power.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2005-08-18 16:09 ]</font>

sSeldomToasTt
Aug 18, 2005, 06:29 PM
Like many others have said, it's really all in your own opinion.

However, I chose BB over GCN because I didn't have to go out and buy $50+ worth of adapters and keyboards, all I had to do was turn on my computer, download and play.

Soja-Soulcrusher
Aug 19, 2005, 06:45 AM
My computer sucks more ass than all of yours' combined.

Additionally, I'm confined to 56k.

GCN for me, for now. While the appearance of a known hacker in the lobbies prompts a hasty exodus by the more savvy (and often once-victimized players) to another one - any one, except for that one.

Finding players is difficult, but once you do it's usually good.