PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Offline???

Sky7
Aug 10, 2005, 02:44 PM
Is there going to be multiplayer offline in PSU?

Also, can the PS3 play PSU offline?

Uncle_bob
Aug 10, 2005, 03:08 PM
No.

And Maybe.

cp99
Aug 10, 2005, 04:37 PM
Realy? No split screen? damn that sucks.

Stan
Aug 10, 2005, 04:40 PM
Not even systemlink (if possible on PS2)?

cp99
Aug 10, 2005, 05:22 PM
On 2005-08-10 14:40, Stan wrote:
Not even systemlink (if possible on PS2)?

Yea, Me and some freinds were having that "wouldent it be cool if we didnt have to scrunch 4 people onto one screen and instead have system link" conversstion.

PhruitBaskit
Aug 10, 2005, 06:31 PM
As cool as this game looks, i think that no multiplayer offline is going to suck, like, a lot.

cp99
Aug 10, 2005, 06:49 PM
True, very true. Funny as it is, all of my pso experience has been 100% offline, so yea, all those hours in my sig are from the gc versions only, not including the dreamcast versions.
completly off topic, but alone or multiplayer offline was still solid.

Depending on the price, for online psu, I might just keep playing pso+ and eventully get a hunters lisense.

Rubesahl
Aug 10, 2005, 09:50 PM
I don't want it to have offline mode so sis finally gets herself a copy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I hate split-screen too. Anyways, instead of offline multiplayer, it could be like Halo 2 in Xbox Live, where other players can login online simultaneously and share the screen. Now THAT's how I'd see it working without having to go offline. But such features just won't happen. PC version and PS2 version will probably be the same and I HIGHLY doubt they'll give PSU the ability to play split-screen. Besides the PS2 would have to lower the graphics too much on each screen for it to be able to move, especially if there's going to be more players than in PSO. Also, I don't want offline multiplayer to at least have some more control over cheating.... come on -__-; it's for the greater good... lol and WHY would it be offline on PS3 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

Cajus
Aug 11, 2005, 08:41 PM
Ugh you can't be serious. I see no other reason to buy this game if I can't play with my friends offline. Considering the fact that online play will cost money per month, I won't be able to do it that way since I already have another online game to pay for. C'moooon ST!!!

cp99
Aug 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
On 2005-08-11 18:41, Cajus wrote:
Ugh you can't be serious. I see no other reason to buy this game if I can't play with my friends offline. Considering the fact that online play will cost money per month, I won't be able to do it that way since I already have another online game to pay for. C'moooon ST!!!

exactly my point.

Zarode
Aug 11, 2005, 09:31 PM
On 2005-08-11 19:10, cp99 wrote:

On 2005-08-11 18:41, Cajus wrote:

exactly my point.

Tough luck kids. I mean, it would defeat the purpose of being ONLINE. On GC and Xbox, if it had it, it was just a given. They could have probably not put it on if I didn't want to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarode on 2005-08-11 19:32 ]</font>

Cajus
Aug 11, 2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah but offline multi is definitely very appealing to those who don't have/like online. I know loads of people don't believe in the whole "pay monthly for a game you already bought." However if there was a way you could host small games online for free to play with other players, that could be an interesting alternative.

DLShAdOw
Aug 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
Yuck Multitaps!

Omega_Nova
Aug 12, 2005, 10:12 AM
I remeber somewhere that somebody brought up the fact that PSU is pushing PS2's graphical engine to the limit and thus, multiplayer wouldn't be possible as the PS2 would have to render even more graphics.

Rubesahl
Aug 12, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well PSO was originally offline single and online multiplayer. The only reason it wasn't like that in XB and GC was:

1. Since there was no server side saving, they used it as a strategy to attract other gamers with the idea of inviting over. Why was there no server side saving in GC? Lack of HDD >_> And on Xbox, just because it's a port from the GC ver and they just didn't want to -__-;

2. Graphical power: XB and GC are much more powerful than the DC and PS2. DC and PS2 being really close one generation from the other so it's not that possible for offline split-screen.

PSO has always been mainly an online game... I suggest you check out other games like Neverwinter nights or Guild Wars which is online and it's free.

Honestly, I don't think paying and playing is bad. After all they're developing more stuff as the game goes on and there's the cost for servers. A company like ST can't rely on game sales alone... In PSU's case anyway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-08-12 11:51 ]</font>

Varaha
Aug 12, 2005, 04:19 PM
i hope there will be an offline mutliplayer cus me and me friends here ini boston uk, van't go nline here so i hope sega do put in a offline multiplayer^^

PhruitBaskit
Aug 12, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I hope someone from Sonic Team is reading this right now so they know that no offline multiplayer on PSU is going to be a BIG mistake!!!

I loved doing 4 player with my friends on PSO (OFFLINE!).

Rubesahl
Aug 12, 2005, 09:54 PM
lol can't you ppl just accept that it's not possible? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DarK-SuN
Aug 12, 2005, 11:15 PM
It seems that they can't accept it, for whatever reason they have, some valid, others not so valid.

PSU = heavier than PSO in many graphical aspects from what we're seeing

In other words, running PSU in a PS2 is like running PSO in a DC; offline single player only since split screen play wouldn't be practical at all since it'd slowdown to a halt most of the time (heck, even in a single screen the DC version had times it'd slowdown a lot, imagine if it had split screen).

Be reasonable; even though it'd be nice to have that feature (I wouldn't use it a lot, but it'd be cool to play with a friend who came visiting once in a while), don't expect it since it may be unreasonable in technical terms (note the "may be" instead of the "is", they may be able to squeeze that in at the last moment, just don't expect that).

kazuma56
Aug 13, 2005, 03:03 AM
Depends on how ST goes about it, if you're fine with many graphical reductions such as possibly less character animation, lower draw distance, reduced graphics and enemies popping up then yeah, ST could probably do it. DW(5 anyway) isn't the best looking game on the PS2 but it doesn't look all that bad when on 1 player mode, huge enemy crowds and little to no lag at all, and the draw distance is also good.

But on 2 player, all of that is reduced, and it also lags in some areas.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2005-08-13 01:04 ]</font>

Rubesahl
Aug 13, 2005, 10:15 AM
On 2005-08-12 21:15, DarK-SuN wrote:
It seems that they can't accept it, for whatever reason they have, some valid, others not so valid.

PSU = heavier than PSO in many graphical aspects from what we're seeing

In other words, running PSU in a PS2 is like running PSO in a DC; offline single player only since split screen play wouldn't be practical at all since it'd slowdown to a halt most of the time (heck, even in a single screen the DC version had times it'd slowdown a lot, imagine if it had split screen).

Be reasonable; even though it'd be nice to have that feature (I wouldn't use it a lot, but it'd be cool to play with a friend who came visiting once in a while), don't expect it since it may be unreasonable in technical terms (note the "may be" instead of the "is", they may be able to squeeze that in at the last moment, just don't expect that).

-shakes his hand- Well said http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Varaha
Aug 13, 2005, 03:15 PM
i want them put in offline mutli player

Reenee
Aug 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
Did you not READ what was posted above?

Uncle_bob
Aug 13, 2005, 09:08 PM
On 2005-08-13 13:15, Varaha wrote:
i want them put in offline mutli player

I want to get laid, be rich, and have steak and grilled shrimp every night.

But you know what? It just isn't going to happen.

Varaha
Aug 14, 2005, 04:13 PM
i hate sega sometimes ><

Nash
Aug 14, 2005, 05:23 PM
Offline multiplayer was far from perfect on GC anyway, with cramped views and some very dodgy even unusable camera-angles in places. It was nice to have the option, but it was no substitute for the online game.

And as other people have pointed out, PSU isn't using the old DC engine it's using a new one built from the ground up to push the PS2 as much as possible. It looks *far* better than I thought a PS2 version of PSO would look, and there's no way you can expect them to pull off 4-player splitscreen with that level of detail.

If PSU ever comes to one of the next-gen consoles, then I'm sure they will put a splitscreen option back in because they have the power to do it. But as far as the PS2 goes, we're already getting more than enough to make up for the lack of splitscreen.

_Tek_
Aug 14, 2005, 08:07 PM
Split screen was good back in the day of N64, where graphics were simpler, but now with todays's games with added polys and detail, split screen kind of blurs is all away and really downgrades i from single player(I may have no idea what I'm talking about).

Plus on PSO on GC, 2 player splitscreen was bad, it cut you off from teh legs down, you could barely the boxes on teh ground.

Phelix
Aug 14, 2005, 09:08 PM
I can't play online so its really a problem for me if they aren't gonna have any offline multiplayer, which I really enjoy doing with my friends. Btw, I wish I could go online though, it's still hard to see all the screens even on my freinds massive tv...

mikeTheHUcast
Aug 15, 2005, 11:17 AM
lololol guys lol there is no way PSU can have offline multiplayer its not like pso. from wat ive read and heard its an MMO like World of Warcraft and EQ...etc. Its like asking for offline multiplayer for those games..it's not gonna work cuz u need thousands of players to keep an MMO going. Just think about wat u just asked for...offline multi in an mmo.....

EDIT: Post edited for profanity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-08-15 09:19 ]</font>

Nash
Aug 15, 2005, 11:50 AM
Nothing to suggest it's an MMO yet, all gameplay clips so far look 4-player based like PSO.

It's likely the offline/online games will play the same and use the same engine, just offline will have it's own story with cut-scenes and computer controller members of your team.

It will probably expand on the things in PSO, but I think PSU will still be it's own thing again rather than like a conventional MMO.

Sakuyarules
Aug 17, 2005, 04:22 PM
it was originally (sp) supposed to be an mmo sequel of pso (something like that was said in EGM)

ghost_zero
Aug 18, 2005, 09:57 AM
There might be reasons why no offline Multiplay for PSU on PS2 but what about a Network-Multiplay for the PC-Version?

DarK-SuN
Aug 18, 2005, 01:54 PM
While it could be possible, don't expect it.
If they intend to let you play in any sort of "network multiplay" it'll be using their servers.

Bot-Bot
Aug 18, 2005, 02:07 PM
On 2005-08-13 19:08, Uncle_bob wrote:

I want to get laid, be rich, and have steak and grilled shrimp every night.

But you know what? It just isn't going to happen.

Quoted for Truth http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif