PDA

View Full Version : A Philosophical Inference springing from an unlikely source.

RedPhoenix
Aug 12, 2005, 01:09 AM
Just listen. Okay, I've kept my opinion on this matter locked up inside for a very long time, and I feel like finally letting it out.

I'm an avid movie-goer, and I recently went out to a see a movie in theatres that recently came out, The Island. Now, the reviewers and the "all-knowing-critics" gave this movie a poor rating. On top of that, it debuted in third place - which is no surprise, considering the reviews it got. At the top of the list of that week was Wedding Crashers.

Despite what everyone was saying, The Island was a damn good movie! It was well-directed and well-filmed, with excellent cinematography and action sequences. Above and beyond all of this, however, it had a message. One left the theatre thinking, imagining; it invigorated the mind, something which, apparantly, deserves a "3 out of 5" in the critics', as well as the public's eye. Instead, a "five star movie" is one that gives you a cheap laugh, with no real subbstance, ending with a korny love scene that ties everything up all nice in a little red bow-tie. I'm not trying to poke my finger at a specific movie, but this is what I am seeing with the recent tier of movies. Why are people so ignorant? I remember way back when, when truly GOOD movies got the spotlight they deserved. It seems like only such classics are the oens that are surviving the test of time - some examples being The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, A Clockwork Orange (despite being very... odd), Minority Report,; heck, even a few years ago when Lord of The Rings first came out. However, lately... All I'm seeing is cheap entertainment.

Whatever happened to inspiration? Has this world just turned into a cesspool of hyenas, trying desperately to avoid the things that truly enlighten the mind for those which feed it with some inferior satisfaction? This isn't the only one of such breathtaking, recent movies that the public doesn't seem to know or care about about. Eqilibrium, another sci-fi type of movie, behind the cover of technology and futurism, provides us a vision into the future of humanity, into the dark road we will inevitably lose ourselves in. And yet most people do not even know of their existence, simply because of a few peoples' ignorant beliefs. Hollywood has this hold on people, that the moment a few key people express their negative opinion, the public just flock to their word, not giving the movie a chance.

The Island is a perfect example of this. I don't know if anyone has seen it, but from the beginning it was given low ratings. And lo and behold, (sarcasm) what a success it did become! (/sarcasm) I just don't understand when the world, and society as we know it, became so centered on the opinions and on the lifestyles of the rich and the famous. When did pieces of art become less valuable thean humour? Given, I like to laugh, but how can we live our lives without partaking in those things that enrich the mind, giving people new, creative ideas that can potentially change the world, or t the very least, the lives of the people around you, for the better? Nobody seems to care about the state of humanity or the world now, it's all turned into pleasure - plain and simple. We are turning into hedonists and we don't even know it, and the sad thing is, most people know and don't care that they are.

What is the point of our lives? Is the point of our existence to exist? To give oneself pleasure? To play video games, watch TV, or live a long life? From what I've heard, most people say it is to get the most out of life. But that is the very hedonistic way f thinking that has led to the downward spiral we see in the world today. All the murders, all the ill will, the destruction of the world itself - all because we as a race, the human race, fail to understand the point of our existence. It is to believe, to think, and wonder - how can society ever proceed forward if all of the creative thinkers and entrepreneurs get caught in the Hollywood frenzy? It seems to me that movie such as the ones mentioned above, or books such as 1984 and Dune, would be beacons to drag people out of this disgusting state, but it just seems to drive them further away! A perfect example is the Matrix: oh yes, this became a huge hit. But was it because of the philosophical insight? NO! It was because of the cool special effects and crazy fight scenes! All one needs to do to distract the entire public from seeing the true message is to put in a few 5 minute GUN FIGHTS into the mix!

That's all I have to say, for now. These are jsut my thoughts on the state of the world today, and my view as to the point of reality, based upon philosophical study. I just hope there are some people out there who understand what I am trying to say.

Skuda
Aug 12, 2005, 02:15 AM
I was reading this and nodding all the way along.

I love a movie with good, insightfull plot and ideas that really make you think.

no one seems to care anymore. people are corrupting faster than ever. I see kids these days smoking up, disrespecting everything, ect. I think to my self, "my god, these arrogant little punks will be running the world some day."

the future is very bleak for me now. I know I will come out on top, because I'm going to fight my way there, bet everything else around me will be crumbling away. those who have let themselves slide into darkness will most likely die in their darkness, taking some innocent live with them no doubt.

I'm going into the video game industry. not for the money. I could care less. I want to make a game with a point. a message for the kids out there. I have little doubt that it will be the greatest game, but as I said, I don't care about the money.

anyway, thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed reading it. best of luck to the intellegence or our race, and to the rest, hope to see you doing labour. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wyndham
Aug 12, 2005, 03:18 AM
Red, i could not agree more without actually going to see that movie right now.
but on your suggestion, i think ill go to the theatre to see it. it'll just take a few days to scrape some money together.
I too have seen a decline in quality over the years.
and, although I don't always show it, I actually think deeply about what i read or watch.
even though I do enjoy a mindless laugh now and then, the balance of being funny is hard to hold, like some movies i've seen, i actually hang me head in shame of even wanting to go see such a piece of trash.
Im just blah-blah-blah-ing, so at this point, I think you've heard enough of my idiocy.
ill post in here again after i see the movie. (if i can)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 12, 2005, 04:48 AM
I've wanted to see this movie(The Island) since the previews came out for it; thinking it would be an insight into a fictional world where stem cell research has blossomed into fully realized clones, with enough big bang explosions and actions scenes to please the summer movie going crowd.

The later previews showed more of the explosions, and a local paper gave it a good review. Yet everyone else rushed out to see War of the Worlds, right?

I don't pay much attention to the millions of dollars each movie makes, since I hardly tune into those Tv shows that tell you that crap.

I would have already seen the movie but I wouldn't want to go to the theater alone, and that's a whole 'nother topic. Heh.

I am very sad that Kung Fu Hustle was released on DVD only 4 months after the release in theaters. I knew it was given English subtitles with Chinese dialogue, but first day after getting it I popped it in with the subtitles as well-Chinese language track. The way the movie was meant to be played. I have Shaolin Soccer and the English language side has like 30 minutes missing from the movie!

I discussed with my boss how I really like Shaolin Soccer and he suggested Kung Fu Hustle and how he would get the bootleg for me which his brother had, a few months ago. He told me to not watch it in the theaters, and he kept forgetting to get it to me.

I went to the store before work in the morning and picked it up on Tuesday. I told my boss when he came in. "Hey, guess what DVD came out today?! Kung Fu Hustle! I was waiting for you to get me your bootleg and it came out on DVD already."

Sad, 4 months between theater to DVD. I know the movie was a 2004 original release and Spring '05 US release, but eh. I wished more people would watch it in the theater.

I thoroughly enjoyed it beginning to end.

There's plenty of films out there that are works of art, and there are plenty of popcorn movies out there too. Not that I don't enjoy a popcorn movie every now and then.

This is like the pop/underground music discussion had sometimes in Rants.

Edit:
I almost purchased the Chinese version of the Kung Fu Hustle I found in the record store nearby the movie theater(when the movie was still out), but the darn Region 2 DVD label stood out to show that I couldn't play it on my current equipment. Overpriced too! $23 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-08-12 02:51 ]</font>