PDA

View Full Version : GC: Can't ... start... online... !

Genoa
Aug 14, 2005, 05:27 PM
Gamecube - (not plus) - DSL Ultra (Bellsouth and AOL Provider) - Connection Setting are Auto IP
My problem... I start online game, pick character and what not... even get to Connect to the DNS Server, I get the little Japanese message board thing... and the screen after hitting OK to that is suppose to be the Ship selection... well, it never gets to that... I hit START to get to the ships... and the window never pops up... I've waited for a few minutes to see if it would, but it doesn't... can anybody help me out?
Also, I have a firewall... but it's only activated when I log onto AOL, ... so... what's wrong?

Jason
Aug 14, 2005, 05:34 PM
Wait more?

Genoa
Aug 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
>_> tried.... didn't work... and also, I don't believe it is neccessary for my computer to be on correct? Because the way my DSL is set up... is my connection to my computer is from the DSL Modem... (duh) through the USB port... my GC connection is through the extra line port on the DSL Modem to the GC... so, my DSL is on when the computer is off... but... I can't go online with the computer on because the firewall will create a random IP address to scramble the GC's auto-IP detection function... so... is it neccessary to have the PC on to play online? Because i'm not suppose to de-activate my Firewall for any purpose...

Jason
Aug 14, 2005, 06:06 PM
I don't know, sorry. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Try getting on in different ways that you can until it works. But I'm sure someone else will answer this better than I do.

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 06:11 PM
Is the firewall through the AOL software or the modem? It won't hurt you to turn it off while you play online. Many modems have a firewall built into them (as due most routers) that you can use. Since I've never used AOL (and I never will http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif ) I'm not familiar with the firewall portion of their software (if indeed it does include that,) and you didn't mention what the brand name and model was of the modem, but if you want an effective software firewall that is easy to configure try the free version of ZONEALARM (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=dbtopnav_zass). Also, your firewall has nothing to do with your IP or the issuing of a random IP address. DHCP within the modem is what issues IP addresses to each machine on the network.

For now, I would simply disable the firewall temporarily (on the modem) and see if you can get past the Minhiro screen. Since you aren't going through the PC to log onto Segas servers, I don't think it matters whether your pc is on or off. BTW what type of protocol do they use for your DSL, is it PPPOE or PPPOA?

One other thing I thought of is that depending on how they run their service, they may have certain ports blocked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-14 16:25 ]</font>

Genoa
Aug 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
Westell DSL Modem /// McAFee Firewall protection (came with AOL 9.0 Security Edition)... and I even unplugged the USB out of the modem to just run the Ethernet connected to the GC... and I get the Minhiro screen... but once I hit START, nothing happens, I don't get the ship selection window. The computer can't be the problem can it? I mean I unplugged the cord goin to the computer to the DSL modem... only having the 3 cords in my modem... 1. Power cord, 2. GC to Modem port, and 3. Phone Line to wall... >_> I still get the same results... I don't understand <_< it should work just fine. It connects to the DNS server and everything. I can mail Snapshots, go onto the Website.... >_> I don't understand!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2005-08-16 15:25 ]</font>

AzureBlaze
Aug 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
I have this same exact problem!
And a Westell modem BB too! Only mine is with Bellsouth. I was worried that it was a Wireless Router Speed Issue, which is why I tried to help/Ask in a different topic of this board.

Unfortunatly, I don't know any more about it then you do...argh! I was blaming PSO thinking the server had an error at first...

You aren't alone in this...but now we both need help. I hope it's out there, or I'll not be able to access ep3 or ep2 again!