PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: Anyone know why this is happening?

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 06:39 PM
Ok, recently, there's been a spam message flying round MSN Messenger- telling you to download some new program.

Not exactly sure what this might have done, but now everytime I play BB in full-screen, after a few minutes it minimizes (consequently closing the program). Before anyone asks, Ive ran BB in full-screen since the Open beta, without problems.

I can play fine in Window mode, but don't like it.

I had some popups doing this for a bit, but used Spybot: Search and Destroy/ Ad Aware to get rid of them.

However, BB is still doing the same...

Anyone have ANY idea what's going on?

It might be a program that's installed due to this MSN thing, I share my computer, and no-one remember what they click on..., here's a pic of task manager, to show what's running. Anything look suspicious? Thanks for any help at all, this is driving me crazy =(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/jordison197666/tasks.jpg

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 06:50 PM
sorry to hear that http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif although I'm not sure what it might be atm, I can tell you that there is nothing suspicious in Task Manager. Everything is a legit process that is running.

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 06:54 PM
= It's really strange- it can't be that my computer can't handle BB, I've run BB since Beta testing in full screen, so it's not that...

Plus, when I run Spybot or Ad Aware, there's no spyware..

It seems to only happen when BB runs full-screen though =(

Thanks for trying to help VioletSkye, I just hope this sorts out =(

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 06:59 PM
Check your error logs the next time it happens. Go to CONTROL PANEL and then click ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS. Then Click on EVENT VIEWER. Check the APPLICATION and SYSTEM logs. Look for any red X's that say ERROR next to it. Double click the red X and it will give you a brief description of what occured during that error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-14 17:00 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:03 PM
Hmm, Ive checked that out- to be honest, I don't have a clue what most of it all means http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

There's no red X's for today, which is wierd, considering today's been the worst day for this happening...

Skorpius
Aug 14, 2005, 07:16 PM
Close MSN Messenger?

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:16 PM
Tried it, even with MSN closed, still closes BB =

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 07:17 PM
are you getting any popups when this happens?

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:19 PM
I don't now.. I was originally, but after using Spybot, it detected some spyware, so I got rid of it.

After that, I'm getting no popups, I get a couple of seconds warning, as my computer starts making a fair bit of noise, after around 4 seconds of this, BB minimizes, and closes, since it can't be minimized in full-screen.

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
does your pc make that noise at other times also, or only when you play PSO in full screen?

Skorpius
Aug 14, 2005, 07:29 PM
Don't play fullscreen? >_>;

Sorry I'm not much help, but I just don't know why someone would play fullscreen when it crashes after switching focus.

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
It only makes the louder noise a couple of seconds before BB closes, or when I'm doing a lot of multitasking..

= This is confusing me, never had any problems with BB really, since the beta..

anwserman
Aug 14, 2005, 07:32 PM
Is everything updated on your computer?
I know I used to get popups from Messenger that says, "Get rid of popups like these by buying this software! For only $19.95..."

Downloading the latest updates and downloading the newest version of Messenger fixed this problem for me. However, I don't know if this is your problem or not, but try updating your PC.

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 07:37 PM
heh i know this seems like a lot of question but it can help in determining if it is a hardware issue (which it could very well be) or a software issue.

When you are multi-tasking and it starts to make a loud noise, do you get any errors and/or do any of the programs you have open close themselves? Also has your pc always made the noise when you multi-task or has it just recently started doing this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-14 17:38 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:41 PM
Nope, when it makes the noise multitasking, switching between programs might have a bit of slowdown, but nothing closes by itself.

Having said this, on MSN yesterday, some windows were acting as if I'd clicked 'restore down' (they were resizing to a smaller version, without me touching the computer- this only happened once or twice, but thought I'd bring it up)

As for the questions, I don't mind. If it helps isolate what might be wrong, it's worth it.

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 07:49 PM
Not to sound paranoid, but have you ran a full virus scan recently (making sure your virus definitions are up to date.)? There are so many trojans out there now thats. I see you have RunDLL32.exe going in the background which is a legitimate executable file IF it is the MS version that is located in your c:windowsSystem32 folder. It is also a VERY popular file name for viruses, trojans, worms, spyware etc. The MS version runs the dlls for various programs and places their libraries into RAM to be used more efficiently by the application. The other version is a nasty piece of malware that you need to get rid of. Do a full system scan and then let me know what it comes up with http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-14 17:50 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 07:57 PM
Ran a full system scan about 15 minutes ago, turned up nothing out of the ordinary..

Ran a search for RunDLL32.exe, that turned up a few results- an application in C:I386, and one in C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSYSTEM32

As well as that, there's 5 'PF Files' with the same prefix of RunDLL32.exe in C:WINDOWSPrefetch

I don't know what all that means, but that's what the search turned up.

Anyway, I'll check it in the morning, see if anythings changed.. thanks for the help so far http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2005-08-14 18:07 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 08:07 PM
On 2005-08-14 17:57, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Ran a full system scan about 15 minutes ago, turned up nothing out of the ordinary..

Ran a search for RunDLL32.exe, that turned up a few results- an application in C:I386, and one in C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSYSTEM32

As well as that, there's 5 'PF Files' with the same prefix of RunDLL32.exe in C:WINDOWSPrefetch

I don't know what all that means, but that's what the search turned up.

Is the file size for the C:I386 version and the C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSYSTEM32 version the same? Also the prefecth ones are supposed to be there so those are fine http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Neith
Aug 14, 2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, same filesize, both 33KB.

Need sleep now, will check back tomorrow :

VioletSkye
Aug 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
ok lol. The i386 file is just fine then. So we have done almost all we can to rule out anything related to viruses, trojans etc. Now we need to look at other software and hardware issues. As answerman stated, make sure you have Windows updated and key drivers updated (ie. videocard, soundcard, directx etc.) If after everything is updated you still get errors, we may need to look at any hardware issues (ie. bad ram, videocard going out, etc.) Anyway get some sleep http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-14 18:14 ]</font>

Getintothegame
Aug 14, 2005, 08:32 PM
>.>

Have you tried just reinstalling PSOBB?

Neith
Aug 15, 2005, 05:51 AM
Haven't tried that yet, to be honest- I didn't think it'd be BB itself, since it's only just started doing it.

Guess theres no harm in trying though.

As for drivers, I'll make sure they're all updated too.

Edit: Re-installed BB, had it running for over an hour so far without this happening, so re-installing may have fixed it. Still no idea why it was happening, I hadn't messed with any files >_>

I'll re-post if it does it again, but thanks to everyone for helping out http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2005-08-15 07:21 ]</font>