PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Grants the Best Spell?

meimeilee
Aug 16, 2005, 04:18 PM
isnt grants like the best spell in the game! evenm at lvl one the spell does over 100

EDIT: Title edited for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-08-16 14:20 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Aug 16, 2005, 04:19 PM
Its alright but It takes a long time to do damage.

But it looks the coolest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-08-16 14:19 ]</font>

meimeilee
Aug 16, 2005, 04:20 PM
but wen dark falz uses it its chaeting becuase his mind strength is the highest in the game it goes over 1000 in ultimate and his grants is like lvl 20

meimeilee
Aug 16, 2005, 04:23 PM
who should use grants more often hunters,rangers,or forces

Ryna
Aug 16, 2005, 04:24 PM
Grants looks cool, but it really isn't that useful of a spell. Here are a few reasons why:

Very few monsters are weak to it
It takes too long to cast
It takes too much TP

In general, you are just better off using basic level techs.

As for Falz, his Grants techinque really isn't that big of a deal. Usually I am more concerned about his Rabarta/Rafoie.

On 2005-08-16 14:23, meimeilee wrote:
who should use grants more often hunters,rangers,or forces

Unless you are playing DC PSO, only FOs can use Grants. Even back on DC, Grants really wasn't that useful for RAs or HUs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-08-16 14:25 ]</font>

meimeilee
Aug 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
i have a hunewearl that i just made and shes gonna learn grants lvl 1 but shes pretty balanced and she has a good lvl resta and anti

Genoa
Aug 16, 2005, 05:18 PM
On 2005-08-16 14:28, meimeilee wrote:
i have a hunewearl that i just made and shes gonna learn grants lvl 1 but shes pretty balanced and she has a good lvl resta and anti

>_> Episodes I&II for GC and Xbox... and Episode 4 Blue Burst... only Forces can cast Reverser, Megid, and Grants... and Grants isn't very usefull not only because of what Ryna said... but because it only targets one unit. It's TP cost + cast time + Few enemies with low ELT + 1-Target casting technique.... I mean it's rediculous.

Longtime_play
Aug 16, 2005, 05:42 PM
Unless you are playing DC PSO, only FOs can use Grants. Even back on DC, Grants really wasn't that useful for RAs or HUs.

I never knew that other classes could use grants on the DC. And i used to play it back then!

**well i was young and stupid**

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Longtime_play on 2005-08-16 15:43 ]</font>

King_Z
Aug 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
Its ok but only at Dark Falz.

Dana
Aug 16, 2005, 08:06 PM
Grants the best tech heheh funny..
well, i use ut VERY little...<<no...lets say l Never use it, minus a VERY few amount of times

It's good for Hildelts, Gillchich and.....umm, >< thats about it! it is definietly the worst attack tech....i would say go with megid !!! it pwns http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
In ep2 anyways!

decrescendo
Aug 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
at earlier levels in ult ep2, with a caduceus...grants is the only way to damage obs near-seriously...same goes with hidelts in ult ep1.

well, about 3 would slay an ob at lower levels...at least to the point where it rapid-spins to death. 4 grants for hidelts, i think.

at higher levels, grants becomes somewhat of a novelty...by the time the spell activates, you've already been hit like twice and fallen flat on your face. though when i feel cheap i stay by the door and aim grants then run out immediately. i don't think its range surpasses zonde...but not as many enemies are resistant to it.

AxelgearVII
Aug 17, 2005, 01:03 AM
Rabarta is the best spell IMO.

Saffran
Aug 17, 2005, 06:13 AM
Well, GC and later versions had weakened magic resistance, so Grants isn't all that useful anymore.

On DC, I had to Grantz my way through Ult mines, becuase my Red Handgun (40% machine) with Shifta did like 7 pts damage to a a JZed ennemy. (I was a humar at level 89) My Fonewearl did the same, until I got Gifoie lv 29...
And that was OFFLINE. Online, I don't even know if I could have done any kind of damage to the ennemies...

Maridia
Aug 17, 2005, 06:25 AM
Wow, this has been really informative. I just started really getting to use my FOmarl, and I love the way Grants looks and sounds, and I've been trying to use it more often, but sadly, she lacks the tp to go nuts with it, nor does it do a ton of damage to everything. Seems to be good on a lot of things in normal mode. ;o

I suppose I'll be linked to the guides, but are there any specific enemies that are very weak to Grants?

And Axel, I love Rabarta as well. God, it looks AWESOME at higher levels, and you can't beat the freezing. <3

Tact
Aug 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
On 2005-08-17 04:25, Maridia wrote:
I suppose I'll be linked to the guides, but are there any specific enemies that are very weak to Grants?

Ep1 Tech Weaknesses (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=542)

Ep2 Tech Weaknesses (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=543)

It seems that there are a lot of Grants-weak enemies.

SLON
Aug 17, 2005, 06:53 AM
Grants is really useful against NPCs in Quests. One hit kills are fun!

Feelmirath
Aug 17, 2005, 07:14 AM
I find freezing and then laughing at the NPCs even more fun... But thats just me.
I guess all my points have been taken up here, although you can find grants very useful when every other tech you have is low level, when going against a boss...

Hrith
Aug 17, 2005, 08:16 AM
On 2005-08-17 04:32, Tact wrote:It seems that there are a lot of Grants-weak enemies.But very few weak to it only.

Barta/Foie/Zonde > Grants

Fanta
Aug 17, 2005, 08:23 AM
On 2005-08-16 23:03, AxelgearVIII wrote:
Rabarta is the best spell IMO.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif
It does a lot of damage to ice weak apponents (PLURAL) and can freeze them.

Anyway, grants isnt really that usful, I rarely use it. I never use it when Im actually player, I only use it messing around or with friends because its funny.

Neith
Aug 17, 2005, 08:53 AM
Bleh, I hate Grants- the only time Ive used it is against Hildelts, and Temple Ob Lilies >_<

It takes ages to cast, and it's TP cost is too high.

I stick with Foie/Zonde/Rafoie/Rabarta/Razonde, and Megid for some Ep2 enemies.

I use a FOnewearl- with the addition of a Foie Boosting weapon (I use Summit Moon), and a Foie Merge, I can out-do my grants damage against most enemies- Hildelts being one of the exceptions.

I think there's a lot more fire/ice/lightning boosts in the game too....

Dana
Aug 17, 2005, 08:53 AM
On 2005-08-17 04:25, Maridia wrote:

And Axel, I love Rabarta as well. God, it looks AWESOME at higher levels, and you can't beat the freezing. <3

i like GIbarta for looks ^-P that, and megids sounds.....with hitogata on for extra ghostiness(sp?)

Stan
Aug 17, 2005, 09:10 AM
Grants is nice when you find a trifluid near some boxes, or when there is a healing ring nearby, Grants on all the boxes for free http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
No, I don't use it very often, but it's highly amusing in battle mode.

Dana
Aug 17, 2005, 09:12 AM
On 2005-08-17 07:10, Stan wrote:
Grants is nice when you find a trifluid near some boxes, or when there is a healing ring nearby, Grants on all the boxes for free http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
No, I don't use it very often, but it's highly amusing in battle mode.

yes, i forgot about that, very nice range and damage but in the stages the cost would be UBER high, it would be better to cast a tiny zonde, wait 3 secinds and no it again, but grants would be funnier

Zael
Aug 17, 2005, 04:16 PM
Resta is the best spell imo

BlackMgDrg
Aug 17, 2005, 08:01 PM
I think that it goes like this:

Single player:
Zonde>Barta>Foie>Megid>Grants
Of course, my Megid is only lvl 7 XD

Battle:
Barta>Grants>Foie>Megid>Zonde

Freezing people and using unavoidable attacks are ALWAYS fun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sadrith
Aug 17, 2005, 09:22 PM
On 2005-08-17 18:01, BlackMgDrg wrote:

Single player:

Battle:

Freezing people and using unavoidable attacks are ALWAYS fun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

first time posting so im not sure if im doing this right but I think rafoi (i think that ios the explosion one)is the best spell

Sadrith
Aug 17, 2005, 09:23 PM
Ok i figured it out now but you already heard what i said.

Sadrith
Aug 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
some oe said earlier that granits is uneffective on most monsters
ist it helpful on all of those dark monsters in ruins

decrescendo
Aug 17, 2005, 09:39 PM
barta is never as good as foie, neither is zonde, really.

barta at higher levels, mainly 20 and above...becomes impossible to aim at close-range. it tends to hit things further away and thus aims extremely poorly when you're faced with mobs that rush toward you. that's basically how it is in ultimate so barta is only good towards nanos and such which stay at a distance. foie is always good and at higher levels aims like a handgun...heh. zonde hits boxes before enemies often...even boxes outside of the room at higher levels.

base spells aren't conclusive of grants or megid...they're classed with rafoie/rabarta/razonde as hard class spells.

Dana
Aug 17, 2005, 09:56 PM
On 2005-08-17 19:39, decrescendo wrote:

barta at higher levels, mainly 20 and above...becomes impossible to aim at close-range. it tends to hit things further away and thus aims extremely poorly when you're faced with mobs that rush toward you. that's basically how it is in ultimate so barta is only good towards nanos and such which stay at a distance. foie is always good and at higher levels aims like a handgun...heh. zonde hits boxes before enemies often...even boxes outside of the room at higher levels.

base spells aren't conclusive of grants or megid...they're classed with rafoie/rabarta/razonde as hard class spells.

I think note, My FOne NEVER has any problems with barta, it is used on all Barta weak monsters, not matter how Fast they move, and zonde, well, i find that somewhat useful too, but foie is very good, and probly my Fav tech http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

decrescendo
Aug 18, 2005, 12:19 AM
barta aims well at a distance, speed is not relevant as it all target spells [save grants] speed up incredibly at higher levels. but for foneys the boost makes it worth using. for others though, i'd suggest rabarta only. i never said zonde isn't good, only that foie is better =]

zonde is extremely useful in rappy hunting...beh.

PuddinSkins
Aug 19, 2005, 11:37 PM
Only forces can use grants retard...
My ranger can't use grants and my hunter cant use it...

Mixfortune
Aug 19, 2005, 11:41 PM
1. Don't flame.
2. Before the GC and Xbox versions, all non-droids could use Grants.

yukikun
Aug 21, 2005, 10:20 AM
when i had a fonewearl i also didnt find grants to be that useful. and i had it like lvl 7. it did alrigth damage but it took to much tp. normally i just used the easy techs like zonde foie and barta. the only time i used grants was on dark falz cause it did like 500 damage. i also dont care about dark falz grants. dark falz seems to only be hard when he uses his crazy barta attack and at his last form

Coxy
Aug 21, 2005, 10:47 AM
grants is fun but that's all really

fanta - the plurl of opponent is opponents, apponents doesn't exist

Dana
Aug 21, 2005, 11:30 AM
On 2005-08-17 22:19, decrescendo wrote:
barta aims well at a distance, speed is not relevant as it all target spells [save grants] speed up incredibly at higher levels. but for foneys the boost makes it worth using. for others though, i'd suggest rabarta only. i never said zonde isn't good, only that foie is better =]

Gifoie is better...http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Fanta
Aug 21, 2005, 11:41 AM
On 2005-08-21 08:47, Coxy wrote:
fanta - the plurl of opponent is opponents, apponents doesn't exist

Typo
I was just emphasising the S, which makes it plural.

The only spells I use are Resta, Gizonde (for boxes and zonde weak opponents) Rafoie (Fire weak oppnents) and Rabarta (Ice weak opponents), S/D/J/Z

Resta is the best spell. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Coxy
Aug 21, 2005, 12:13 PM
one hell of a typo http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i agree though, i only really use resta with my humar, obviously attack techs with my FO, along with S/D but i hardly ever use grants unless i want to amuse myself

decrescendo
Aug 21, 2005, 02:05 PM
On 2005-08-21 09:30, Dana_ranger wrote:

On 2005-08-17 22:19, decrescendo wrote:

on that note, i've found that rafoie is actually the best =P

i was hunting for a stag > 50%hit / agito with pinkal fomar. it's really awesome to be able to stand by the door and rafoie twice then collect the l00t.

Phazer
Aug 21, 2005, 06:36 PM
just got grants level 2

i wasnt very impressed

_Tek_
Aug 22, 2005, 08:17 PM
You guy know that the best spell depends on the enemy highest weakness right? So it may not always be grants. I notice a ton of people will waste their tp with that tech. Like on falz thrid form, they shoudl use foie for that. (barta for teh spikes at the start, zonde for 1st form, barta again on 2nd farm)

Ryu_4
Aug 23, 2005, 10:14 AM
This is going to be a really long post otherwise i would have to keep requoting everyone so i guess ill just do it in one post http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

On 2005-08-16 14:20, meimeilee wrote:
but wen dark falz uses it its chaeting becuase his mind strength is the highest in the game it goes over 1000 in ultimate and his grants is like lvl 20

IMO people arent really to afraid of the grants because if you know... Grants is a light attack and you can use anything that boosts light resistances to lower that damage...i would rather be more afraid of his physical damage that ALWAYS does somewhere around 970 on ultimate (not exact on damage havent played in a few months)

On 2005-08-16 16:53, King_Z wrote:
Its ok but only at Dark Falz.

Grants will never be better against falz because there are always techs that are faster stronger and cheaper... break down ----
norm - vhard
1st form - Gifoie
2nd form - zonde, or for the elite gizonde will hit 2 heads if you have high lvl gizonde and it will cast faster and do more damage
3rd form - Foie = domination

ultimate
1st form - rabarta seems to be the fastest route since they have lower ice res i beleive...or i seem to find it ezier
2nd form - same
3rd form - same

On 2005-08-17 04:13, Saffran wrote:
On DC, I had to Grantz my way through Ult mines, becuase my Red Handgun (40% machine) with Shifta did like 7 pts damage to a a JZed ennemy. (I was a humar at level 89) My Fonewearl did the same, until I got Gifoie lv 29...

Well its nice to know that you played on Dreamcast...What i would like to know is how you went about getting any technique past lvl 20 lol Lvl 29??? that would be pretty manly on dc lol

On 2005-08-17 05:14, Feelmirath wrote:
I find freezing and then laughing at the NPCs even more fun... But thats just me.
I guess all my points have been taken up here, although you can find grants very useful when every other tech you have is low level, when going against a boss...

I'd hate to inform you but when going against any boss there is this technique called Gizonde http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif let me explain...
Bosses like : The Dragon, De rol le, vol opt, barba ray, gal griphon, .... well heck wow every boss has multiple points on it where you can hit it... if you use gizonde and a gizonde merge... you will basically dominate them because it doesnt show the damage but gizonde really does damage to every point that can be hit within range...if you dont beleive me test it out yourself...go to the dragon on ultimate with a decent lvled fo char and kill the dragon with foie...prolly take 30-50 foies depending on the damage...now take gizonde you hit it maybe 18 times and the damage is only like 1/3 that of foies and it kills him so much faster? thats the proof right there =n_n=

Why bother using grants on boxes when you could use Zonde on them and have almost as much range (can reach like all the way acrossed dark falz lvl one end to the other and i think more) and cast 2 times faster?

On 2005-08-17 18:01, BlackMgDrg wrote:

Single player:

Battle:

For starters i think Kef (Go Shining Force http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif) already laid down the rules with zonde barta and foie being better then megid and grants... megid and grants shouldnt even be on that list...
also for battle barta... blah none of that garbage should be better then zonde considering zonde can kill people from a distance...

And has more range then the other techs and also zonde may have the possibility to shock people...which can be very damaging in battle mode.

and when you say Freezing people and using unavoidable attacks are ALWAYS fun. i hope your not planning to Freeze ANYBODY anytime soon using barta lmfao >_<

On 2005-08-17 19:39, decrescendo wrote:

Hmmm what would i have to say about this... I really dont see why your having a targeting problem with barta at all...you already said yourself that barta has really good range against something that is far away...fact is that works also in about the 70 degrees around you...you could be pointed diagonal to an enemy and most of the time and it will automatically point you in the direction of the enemy. this works with foie and barta (unless they ARE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU which they should not happen at any time, unless your lazy like me cast jellen and let them hit you in between spells which eventually makes you cast faster ** unless you get knocked down ** because you dont have to wait for the casting time to finish)

Foie is only good if your using it against an enemy that it is weak against...try killing a govulmer with foie...and get back to me on that... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

On 2005-08-19 21:37, PuddinSkins wrote:
Only forces can use grants retard...
My ranger can't use grants and my hunter cant use it...

Please dont flame >_< its against the forum rules and is very unnapropriate :'(

On 2005-08-21 09:30, Dana_ranger wrote:

[/quote]

Pardon me throwing in my 2 cents but...gizonde as i said before is much better for hitting multiple targets...fastest casting in the game i beleive(i cant stand in front of enemies and cast it non-stop before they hit cuz it casts so fast **And also btw you cast faster without a weapon ... at least for Fomars**)
gifoie is good...if you want to stand there and wait for them all to jump up and run around then either rafoie or gizonde is better
-----------------------------------------------------
Well i do beleive im done...arent you glad i put that all on one post instead of about 9 different ones =n_n=
Conclusion: Grants is only cool if your bored and feel like listening to the sound if you have good sound system otherwise...dont use it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
-=Dubz=-

EDIT: found a few typos and accidently deleted one of my replies to a quote >_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryu_4 on 2005-08-23 08:18 ]</font>

Stan
Aug 23, 2005, 10:30 AM

Why bother using grants on boxes when you could use Zonde on them and have almost as much range (can reach like all the way acrossed dark falz lvl one end to the other and i think more) and cast 2 times fasater? Because it's fun (hence the http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
Since I don't use it much (tp costs, hit's only one, etc.), it's nice to see it every once in a while http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
PSO hasn't to be 'serious' all the time, you know.

Ryu_4
Aug 23, 2005, 10:35 AM
On 2005-08-23 08:30, Stan wrote:

Why bother using grants on boxes when you could use Zonde on them and have almost as much range (can reach like all the way acrossed dark falz lvl one end to the other and i think more) and cast 2 times fasater? Because it's fun (hence the http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
Since I don't use it much (tp costs, hit's only one, etc.), it's nice to see it every once in a while http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
PSO hasn't to be 'serious' all the time, you know.

Lol i guess but if you really want to be "serious" wouldnt you not waste your tp on a box lol and hit it with your weapon? lol just the thought http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif well im going to another town now to get my check and buy dynasty warriors 5 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif cant wait ill read this later and see what ppl have to say about my post =n_n= peace dudes

decrescendo
Aug 23, 2005, 09:38 PM
it should be agonizingly obvious by the time you get to ultimate to make use of enemie's weaknesses, so asking me to foie a govulmer is really a rather irrelevant and unintelligent thing =]

obviously there's a limit to each spell, i'm only saying in consistency, foie is the best out of the three. in any case, even if there were only one govulmer i'd rather rabarta it to death because 1. i'm lazy and 2. chance of freeze 3. i'm not playing a fonie.

edit - i HATE bbcode http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: decrescendo on 2005-08-23 20:06 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 24, 2005, 07:52 AM
My 30 Foie does more damage than my 30 Grants... (165 Fone). What is the best..? Only a FOmar and FOnwem can answer that with accuracy I think..

Reiz_Fan
Aug 24, 2005, 02:42 PM
Grants looks cool. But too few monsters are weak to it. I think rabarta is best.

_Tek_
Aug 24, 2005, 11:20 PM
But what about what I said? Are these tech weaknesses correct?
Ult falz:
spikes-barta
1st form-zonde
2nd form-barta
3rd form-foie

Mystil
Aug 25, 2005, 09:12 PM
Those are correct.

Ketchup345
Aug 26, 2005, 09:28 AM
On 2005-08-24 05:52, Silhouette wrote:
My 30 Foie does more damage than my 30 Grants... (165 Fone). What is the best..? Only a FOmar and FOnwem can answer that with accuracy I think..

FOmar gets a 30% boost to Grants. Only a FOnewm can give instant results (you could do it with other classes, but it would require some math).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-08-26 10:45 ]</font>

Saffran
Aug 26, 2005, 10:25 AM
Well its nice to know that you played on Dreamcast...What i would like to know is how you went about getting any technique past lvl 20 lol Lvl 29??? that would be pretty manly on dc lol

I painfully made my way through Ruins 1 until the first Gran sorcerer, I couldn't kill him until I got a lucky Grants drop (lv 26). After that, I could get past them, so I made my way through Ruins 3 to find high level techniques. I have Foie lv 24, Barta lv 29, Zonde lv 27, Gifoie 29, Gibarta 30, Gizonde 27, Rafoie 28, Rabarta 22, Razonde 30, Grants 28, Megid 26, Resta 29, Shifta 26, Deband 28, Jellen 30, Zalure 29, Anti 26.

My Fonewearl went to Mines again to get better weapons... plus only having to cast one spell for most of the level was kinda cool. It still takes a long time to own mines.

Stan
Aug 26, 2005, 12:30 PM
Erm, how did you get anti lv.26? The highest was lv.7, right?

Ryna
Aug 26, 2005, 12:43 PM
On 2005-08-26 10:30, Stan wrote:
Erm, how did you get anti lv.26? The highest was lv.7, right?

Saffran is talking about the Dreamcast version of PSO. On Version 2, Anti went up to level 30 and had amazing range.

Razor_Burn
Aug 27, 2005, 02:13 PM
I agree that grants doesn't have much utility, but in places where it can be used, it's rather nice. My main character, (Now after corruption, which made me, demoralized for a year.) a Fomarl (Whom has a natural boost to grants) with a caduceus can kick more but when used against other players. You can't just use it alone sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razor_Burn on 2005-08-27 12:14 ]</font>

anwserman
Aug 27, 2005, 02:25 PM
On 2005-08-26 07:28, Ketchup345 wrote:

On 2005-08-24 05:52, Silhouette wrote:

FOmarl gets a 30% boost to Grants. Only a FOnewm can give instant results (you could do it with other classes, but it would require some math).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-08-26 10:45 ]</font>

Corrected ya, the FOmarl gets 30% boost on Grants.
FOmar gets 30% boost on mid-level (Ga) techniques.

Sacred_One
Aug 27, 2005, 08:24 PM
I like Grantz, but it take some time to use it. Megid is alright as well

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 03:12 AM
Fomar also gets Deband and shifta range boost.

Don't bother using their level 30 ra techs, coz the level 30 gi will do more damage in the end.

Ketchup345
Aug 28, 2005, 10:42 AM
On 2005-08-27 12:25, anwserman wrote:
Corrected ya, the FOmarl gets 30% boost on Grants.
FOmar gets 30% boost on mid-level (Ga) techniques.

FOmar (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1179) gets a 30% boost to Grants.

FOmarl (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1180) gets a 50% boost.

Both get boosted Shifta/Deband range of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-09-02 14:24 ]</font>

Monomate
Aug 28, 2005, 05:55 PM
Grants...hmmm...Honestly, it's a bloody awesome spell...however...I've found it near useless...

Megid is my personal favorite...but again...almost useless...(however, once in battle mode...hehehe...my friends with their pathetic resistance to Dark...muahaha!)

i prefer sticking to the simple techniques...i really only use Grants on Hildelts and Hildetorrs...

I only use Megid on my brother...

and I use Foie/Zonde/and Barta on everything else...

they're much faster and much more effective...Grants is mostly a really really pretty waste of time...

Natron
Aug 29, 2005, 05:40 PM
I'd have to say that, without factoring enemy weaknesses in, Foie is best against slower enemies, zonde is effective versus anything and barta, frankly, sucks. Higher level techs are a different story, but, IMO Grants and Megid can both be chucked in the "Not Worth My Time" category. That's all.

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
Right out of the site's guide, this should clear everything up. Most of this stuff was posted but fragmented among several posts. Here it is all in a single post.

FOmar:
Gifoie Gizonde Gibarta Grants 1.3 x damage
Shifta and Deband 2x range/effect

FOmarl:
Grants 1.5 x damage
Shifta Deband Resta & Anti 2x range

FOnewearl:
Foie Zonde Barta & Megid 1.3 x damage
Megid penetrates
Resta & Anti 2x range/effect

FOnewmm:
Gifoie Gizonde Gibarta 1.3 x damage
Rafoie Razonde Rabarta 1.3 x damage

Eleina
Aug 31, 2005, 05:03 PM
Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Foie,Foi e,Jellen,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie,Rafoie...is the basic tactic in ultimate mines don't see no Grants in fact in all of my tactic I don't see Grants why it touchs one enemy it consumes TP like it's going out of fashion and it's to slow.
Convert to the dark side and use Megid it's much better especially in central control ha ha ha ha!!!

Sizzors
Aug 31, 2005, 06:13 PM
I agree with the poster above me, Grants has poor casting time and in the ruins...it does jack. I've done 0 damage with lvl 12 Grants. Using Megid is WAY batter.

decrescendo
Aug 31, 2005, 08:25 PM
depends on your class. only foneys and weapon with megid penetrate as bonus can make good use of it...and only then, only useful with groups.

otherwise i'd much rather be doing actual damage than throwing away TP for potentially nothing.

Kent
Sep 2, 2005, 12:12 PM
I prefer mid-level techniques, myself...

Gifoie is just great for damaging enemies around you (when you need fire damage, useful for when you're in the fray, like a hybrid FOmar should be. The range and casting speed on Gizonde makes it pretty good for sniping, as well as casting in combat (yes, if the enemies are positioned right, it can hit with about the same area as Razonde), and Gibarta can potentially act as a mutlti-hit attack, the area of its effect can hit an enemy more than once (not always, though).

The fact that my class of choice, the FOmar, gets a boost to these, as well as Grants and Shifta/Deband range, is just icing on the cake, to me.

I don't really use Grants much. It's not as stupidly powerful here as it was back on the Dreamcast, at least for my FOmar... Then again, I don't load down on MST, really. A high-level FOmarl with her MST pumped up might make it hit pretty hard, though... I'm pretty sure it was originally designed to be the PSO equivalent of Holy, and the FOmarl just screams "White Mage" from the technique bonuses, so...

Jarek
Sep 2, 2005, 02:32 PM
Ok since this thread isn't getting much resolution, I'll give you some actual numbers to look at thanks to the lovely Tech Damage Calculator. For this I used each character's max mst, lv30techs, and I only used basic techs because even with fomar/fonewm boost to gi techs, basic techs + equipment would still yield higher damage.

Now you can roughly cast 2 basic techs for the cost of one grants (give or take a few tp), so that's basicially 2x the damage for basic techs to 1 grants attack. Let's go to the first enemy for an example.

Online Bartle (Ult) 40EFR 65ELT
Foie:(42tp)
-Fomar:376
-Fomarl:370
-Fonewm:396
-Fonewearl:553
Foie + Club of Laconium/Foie merge
-Fomar:640
-Fomarl:629
-Fonewm:673
-Fonewearl:852

Grants:(76tp)
-Fomar:407
-Fomarl:464
-Fonewm:324
-Fonewearl:342
Grants + Caduceus
-Fomar:470
-Fomarl:526
-Fonewm:389
-Fonewearl:410

If you take a fonewearl with the equipment stated above, you can do 852 damage with one foie. Times that by 2 and you've got 1704 damage for the cost of 84tp. Now grants costs 76tp and with a caduceus only does 410 damage. Fomarl's damage with grants is somewhat better at 526, but for almost the same amount of tp, you can cast foie twice and do 740 damage.

Online Hildelt (Ult) 70ETH 57ELT
Zonde:(37tp)
-Fomar:176
-Fomarl:173
-Fonewm:186
-Fonewearl:261
Zonde + Club of Zumurian/Zonde merge
-Fomar:299
-Fomarl:294
-Fonewm:316
-Fonewearl:402

-Fomar:500
-Fomarl:570
-Fonewm:399
-Fonewearl:420
Grants + Caduceus
-Fomar:577
-Fomarl:646
-Fonewm:478
-Fonewearl:504

Now we have an enemy who's weakest resistance is to grants. As you see, a Fomar with no added equipment only does 176 damage with zonde, a hildelt's next weakest resistance. That means he would have to cast it 3 times to surpass his regular grants damage. 111tp vs 76 in this case. But against this enemy, a Fomarl, even without a caduceus, can out damage the other fo's(except fomar with caduceus which does 7 more damage) easily. This is one of the few cases where grants damage is highest, if you're a fomarl. But a well equipped Foney could still outdamage her with 2 zonde for less tp cost.

Online Pofuilly Slime (Ult) 45EFR 45ETH 45ELT
Foie:(42tp)/Zonde:(37tp)
-Fomar:345/323
-Fomarl:339/317
-Fonewm:363/341
-Fonewearl:507/479
Foie + Club of Laconium/Foie mege / Zonde + Club of Zumiuran/Zonde merge
-Fomar:587/549
-Fomarl:576/539
-Fonewm:617/579
-Fonewearl:781/737

-Fomar:640
-Fomarl:729
-Fonewm:510
-Fonewearl:537
Grants + Caduceus
-Fomar:739
-Fomarl:827
-Fonewm:612
-Fonewearl:645

Here we have an enemy that's weakest to 3 things evenly: foie, zonde, and grants. Again, Fomarl with caduceus can do considerable damage(827). But with foie + Club of Laconium + Foie merge...she can easily do more damage(1152) simply at the cost of more time. But most fomarl's probably won't have that with them most of the time, whereas a fonewearl doesn't even need anything but herself to great damage. 2 unequiped foie shots will deal 1014 vs 537 from grants at around the same tp cost.

So to sum it all up:
Grants can do high damage in one shot, with a high tp cost...to some enemies, with a fomar/l. But to most enemies, just using a basic tech twice will be just as effective, especially, especially on a fonewearl.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psobsesser on 2005-09-04 15:08 ]</font>

Hogbox
Sep 4, 2005, 04:13 PM
Rafoie > Grants