PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Rage

ladyjaderiver
Aug 18, 2005, 01:57 AM
Okay, since I completely killed the sketch when I tried to colour it, I'm starting a new thread so people don't have to look at it if they don't want to.

I tried colouring in photoshop. I spent four hours doing it. And I discovered that, despite all the tips from my friends, despite playing around and practising, I still SUCK.

I got really lazy and didn't even try to draw the Whitill ID.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ladyjaderiver/PSOFanart/ragebeat.jpg

Enjoy the crappiness. (His hair looks so flat... >.<)

Right about now, I'm just going to say "I suck at life" and go to bed, thank you very much.

WraithVerge
Aug 18, 2005, 03:16 AM
Oh come now, it really isn't that bad. It's actually quite nice.

I find it slightly humorous when an artist says "This is the crappiest thing I've ever drawn", but everyone still says it looks very good or awesome. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ... I am being serious though, it looks fine. As much is it may pain you, you can't make every drawing perfect. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2005-08-18 01:17 ]</font>

Sayara
Aug 18, 2005, 09:03 AM
Oy, you think every one of those "amazing" cg artists got their stuff down after their 3rd or so drawing?

it takes a while to get good at things like that!

While the drawing is alittle flat now, its getting better. Just try and consider how you would of shaded the piece with pencil.

ladyjaderiver
Aug 18, 2005, 09:24 AM
Pencil actually wasn't the look I was going for here. I'd originally wanted to do it in marker, but then I remembered that my blondwood marker (which I would use for his hair) was dead, and, it being 10 PM, all the local art stores were closed.

So I foolishly tried photoshop. >.<

I may do it in marker today anyway, just to make myself happy. I hate photoshop and I guess it shows. BTW, Tingle, I've been trying for about two years to get decent/passable at Photoshop, and I STILL suck.

Dana
Aug 18, 2005, 09:33 AM
i like it, and i love that mag http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sayara
Aug 18, 2005, 09:38 AM
On 2005-08-18 07:24, ladyjaderiver wrote:
Pencil actually wasn't the look I was going for here. I'd originally wanted to do it in marker, but then I remembered that my blondwood marker (which I would use for his hair) was dead, and, it being 10 PM, all the local art stores were closed.

So I foolishly tried photoshop. >.<

I may do it in marker today anyway, just to make myself happy. I hate photoshop and I guess it shows. BTW, Tingle, I've been trying for about two years to get decent/passable at Photoshop, and I STILL suck.

Hey, i've done CG work (with both PSP/PS) and im no better then 1/2 these people who are CG artists.

Though if you wanna stick to things your best with (as i do) go for it. Just dont stop practicing CG. K chi? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EphekZ
Aug 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
I think you're over reacting >_> I think it looks great...

ladyjaderiver
Aug 18, 2005, 10:40 PM
Except that:

1. Despite being half its original size, it's STILL fuzzy. And I only used a size 6 brush for it, too...

2. The colours are dead. There's no life to it at all - even though I tried putting in highlights and shadows.

3. You haven't seen the work of other people at my school - I'll have to see if I can find some, because, let me tell you, I suck. I really do.

ETA: I have serious self-esteem issues, people, so please let this go. You may think it's a great piece of art, but I think it's utter crap, and nothing you can say will change that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ladyjaderiver on 2005-08-18 20:46 ]</font>

Skett
Aug 19, 2005, 01:04 AM
I like it. He has cool hair and I like his pose. Seems like he is a determined type. Nice job.

Dana
Aug 19, 2005, 02:28 PM
Wheres his other eye?

he's half blind...

i forgot to notice that before http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

CupOfCoffee
Aug 19, 2005, 06:04 PM
Meh, so you're a 9.5/10 instead of the 10/10s at your school. I can see the things you think are terrible about it, but in my mind, they're completely overshadowed by the things done right in the picture.

But hey, that's just me.

Skorpius
Aug 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
On 2005-08-18 20:40, ladyjaderiver wrote:
ETA: I have serious self-esteem issues, people, so please let this go. You may think it's a great piece of art, but I think it's utter crap, and nothing you can say will change that.
What did you think would happen by posting it?

Sord
Aug 19, 2005, 07:10 PM
seriously guys, i wouldn't push it if you don't want her to leave

LadyRedComet
Aug 19, 2005, 07:35 PM
On 2005-08-19 16:18, Skorpius wrote:

What did you think would happen by posting it?

Perhaps she thought people would look at it? If she doesn't like it, let it be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; people seem to be forgetting that.

On topic: The hair does seem flat. But I really like the shading on the blue part of the robe.

Maridia
Aug 19, 2005, 07:38 PM
On 2005-08-19 17:10, Sord wrote:

I don't understand this. She's like OMG I SUCK and everyone is like YOU CAN DO EET! There isn't a problem here, and her work is improving all the time. Just because she thinks it sucks compared to some things, she isn't letting that stop her from drawing and trying new things, which I think shows she has some confidence inside her, even if she doesn't know it's there. Just having the nerve to post for us all to view is a great start.

Jade, you really are coming along very nicely, and remember, 20 drawings down the line, when you've improved, you'll be like "THIS IS THE CRAPPIEST EVER!" then you have to look back at your old ones and go ".. Wow. I HAVE improved." You can't keep comparing everything you make to the nicest things out there. If the people in your class are SO MUCH BETTER, why don't you ask them to show you some tips? Or maybe ask to watch them work, and discuss things with them. Obviously art and drawing is very important to you, and I can tell you're very passionate about it. Don't put yourself down so much. It's okay to be like "It has a lot of flaws.. and I feel I could have done better" but flipping out and saying you fail at life or something is silly.

Approach things calmly, and remember, you draw better than some of us do. Keep practicing and don't use "it sucks and i hate it!" as a self defense mechanism (if that's what it is, consider it carefully) to bad criticism. I can't say it enough, your work is improving and I enjoy it immensely. Remember, YOU CAN DO EET! XD

Skorpius
Aug 19, 2005, 07:41 PM
Do you two seriously live to be Fan Works Nazis? ;/

Maridia
Aug 19, 2005, 07:44 PM
That's alittle inappropriate, and she's a far different person than LadyRedComet. <_< They just enjoy this forum far more than most. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them elsewhere. o_o Interesting.

Anyway, yes, great picture, love the Chuchu. <_< *on topic*

Sord
Aug 19, 2005, 07:47 PM
On 2005-08-19 17:38, Maridia wrote:

On 2005-08-19 17:10, Sord wrote:

I don't understand this. She's like OMG I SUCK and everyone is like YOU CAN DO EET! There isn't a problem here, and her work is improving all the time. Just because she thinks it sucks compared to some things, she isn't letting that stop her from drawing and trying new things, which I think shows she has some confidence inside her, even if she doesn't know it's there. Just having the nerve to post for us all to view is a great start.

yeah, but it's not what you think, it's what she thinks. it's a type of personality. just saying, the last time people kept bugging her she left for a VERY long time, though i did play a major part in. sorry 'bout that jade, hope your aztec ruling the english game concept worked out

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2005-08-19 17:48 ]</font>

Skorpius
Aug 19, 2005, 07:50 PM
I enjoy looking at others' work, too, but having a nagging, fragile personality hovering around, picking out every little detail that's wrong is very annoying, especially when they post work of their own that lacks any real flaws.

So what if your work isn't to par with certain standards. It just shows you have more to learn, so stop being so emo.

Scejntjynahl
Aug 19, 2005, 08:12 PM
On 2005-08-19 17:44, Maridia wrote:
That's alittle inappropriate, and she's a far different person than LadyRedComet. <_< They just enjoy this forum far more than most. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them elsewhere. o_o Interesting.

Anyway, yes, great picture, love the Chuchu. <_< *on topic*

The author is LadyJadeRiver, the feelings are of LadyJadeRiver, in the end it is LadyJadeRiver's pregorative to feel whatever she may or may not want to feel. LadyJadeRiver has already expressed numerous time that we will not change her mind. That intself is the reason we should just let this thread die. It has served its purpose. She was nice enough to share it with us, and we can leave it at that. Really people, just let it go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scejntjynahl on 2005-08-19 18:16 ]</font>

DarianMaliken
Aug 19, 2005, 08:56 PM
Sometimes its best to leave a sketch in a rough state. That and the chuchu is REALLY cute...http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ladyjaderiver
Aug 19, 2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, this thread really went nasty when I went to work. O.o

And here I thought my day couldn't possibly get any worse.

Thanks guys.

Excuse me for not being an overly self-absorbed little twit who thinks everything I do is perfect and needs to be praised to high heaven.

If I don't like it, that's fine. You can like it - but you liking it won't make me like it. I share my artwork here because I know a number of people here like to see it, whether I think it's good or not.

Deal with it, people. You're you, I'm me, let's just be who we are, okay?

And Sord, the concept is coming along really well, actually. ^_^ One of my teachers keeps pushing me to do more and more with it. >.<

ETA: Please also bear in mind that I usually finish my artwork after a very frustrating day at work/school and post it around 1-3 AM, by which time I'm very overtired and depressed (remember: I foolishly get up at 8:30 every day). I tend to be much more upset with my art when it's late like that than I do earlier in the day when I've had a chance to deal with it. (The only reason I post it right after I finish it is that I'd probably forget to post it at all if I didn't... >.<)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ladyjaderiver on 2005-08-19 21:17 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Aug 20, 2005, 04:42 AM
While you're correct in the regards that everyone may have their opinion, and your opinion is not 'wrong', neither are theirs. While true the means by which it came about in this thread were different, there is a general sense of "you're wrong when you say this is good", from many of these threads that tends to add to the 'hostile' air as well.

It's not one side or the other, but rather each side adding more and more onto it with each revolution.

Yeah your opinions matter, but that doesn't mean everyone else's are null and void. And if you post a fanart or fanwork, expect replies, either in the negative or the positive. That's how forums work. If you want to just show your work, fine, but a gallery of some sort would be more suited for it. Forums = replies and discussion.

Now everyone just cool it for a bit, alright?
This trend of threads recently is getting out of hand.
Next reply to here better be a nice save.

ladyjaderiver
Aug 20, 2005, 09:42 AM
^_^ You won't have to worry about it any more, because I've decided to take a break from posting here again. I'd actually like it if someone would lock this topic.

Why is Jade leaving, again?

Because the level of immaturity I receive for my art here (the art I didn't expect it for O.o - if anything I expected the flames like this on my picture of Lucius and Raven...) seriously outweighs the good of posting here. Those that actually leave me constructive comments already watch my deviantart account as well and I will get my feedback from them there. So I'm sorry, those of you who just post mindless praise or who post flames because I don't like it/you/someone else's art will just have to do it to someone else.

If it makes me a "nazi" for commenting that I don't like something either that I've done or someone else has done, I don't think this forum is a good place for me to be posting my work, or even commenting at all.

Have a nice day.

ABDUR101
Aug 20, 2005, 11:26 AM
Considering all you got was praise, and you shot them all down for praising what you've done, I don't see any immaturity from them.

Not being content with your work is one thing, and thats fine, it helps you strive to be better at what you do, it's a driving motivational force, but don't call anyone immature for liking what you've done.

I can't draw stick figures for shit, so what you drew is damn near impossible for me. So if I were to say it's a good pic and you're improving nicely, the only problem I see would you taking the praise in a negative manner.

Later.

Zelutos
Aug 20, 2005, 11:44 AM
i liked the picture o.o