PDA

View Full Version : CPU/Wireless Networking Inquiries

Curiosity
Aug 18, 2005, 04:40 PM
This seemed like the most appropriate place, so if it's not, it can be moved (I'm assuming).

I originally posted this elsewhere (well tried to actually but things went wonky, I will try again later), but thought I might try here too, afterall, the more information the better, right? It's almost verbatim, minor formatting weirdness due to c/p from there to here, or possibly typos I missed...
-----

Couple of questions. CPU and Wireless Network related.

First: CPU question

I'm looking into getting a new system, the system comes with an AMD Athlon 64
FX-57 (939). Now I'm wondering if I should inquire about changing that to a
dual-core proc, most likely an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (939). My real question
is: "Which would be the better choice?". Now I know that "better" is a highly
subjective term, but I'm asking anyway. Or is it more a question of what will I
be using the pc for, ie apps and stuff? Mainly games, 'net, yada yada, most
likely multi-tasking in abundance. I know that the FX-57 may not be as "future
proof" (to borrow a term) as the dual-core proc, which is why I'm considering
this and asking about it. Umm, I think that's all pertinent information... Oh
other system hardware that might be relevant include 2x NVIDIA Geforce 7800
GTX, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, I'm not entirely sure how relevant those or any
others may or may not be... Anyway, moving on.

Second: Wireless Network Question

With the system I will also have to set up a wireless network. I know I could
theoretically read all the various reviews for various wireless gear on the
web, but those may or may not really tell me what I'm looking for. That being
"real-world" performance. I know they try to simulate that in testing, but I
also know that most tests are done, more or less, on the same level. Meaning
router and wireless card being on the same floor/level. I read an article in a
recent PC World (August 2005 issue) in which they tested some Wi-Fi gear,
namely MIMO stuff. Based on that I've kind of concluded I may be better off
going with a non-MIMO set up, my distance between card and router would be well
within 30 feet (card in room directly above room with router, and a bit off to
one side). The non-MIMO set up they used was a US Robotics Wireless MaxG set
up, which seemed like a pretty good set up given the reported avg thoughput for
midrange. The system I'm looking at comes with a D-Link DWL-AG530 Tri-Mode
Dualband (2.4/5GHz) Wireless 108 Mbps PCI Adapter (sorry quoting site). I would
of course get the "matching" router to get the best performance.

But my real question concerning this is, what might be the better solution
given how my set up would be (mentioned above)? I'm not really sure what kind
of interference might be encountered through the floor/ceiling. Although given
the (somewhat) short distance that might be minimized anyway? Again what I'd
like is "real-world" experiences with wireless in general or even with above
stated equipment. I also know that they always state theoretical max speeds and
I would never see speeds anywhere near those. Also, was I more or less correct
in thinking that a non-MIMO set up would be better for my situation? Oh yeah,
I also know that 802.11n hasn't been fully standardized/ratified/whatever yet,
which may or may not be a factor in the decision. I think that's all...

Help, information, insight, all greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AzureBlaze
Aug 18, 2005, 10:44 PM
I don't know about your CPU question...but I can relate to the Wireless one.

I JUST got broadband, and so needed a wireless network. Several things (2 PCs, 1 laptop, 1 cube and 1 PS2) all have to be made to work together and share the BB. Quite a trick trying to configure 5 firewalls at once to not block the heck out of everything.

I am using Linksys stuff. A linksys game system wifi port thingy which you plug into the BBA hole of your system, and then proceed to perch the little box on something high-up. (60bucks) Also a linksys router hooked to the modem/main pc (50bucks cause rebates)It is of the "G" variety. It seems to be fine for fastness although I don't know much about it.

I guess my recomendation would be go with Linksys if you're looking for economy solutions. There's rebates galore for them, and they seem to work just fine. (in a cement bunker of no windows and many cement walls, in which I reside, I have to keep the video game wireless thing up high, for it to go 40+ feet around some cement walls.)

What are you trying to do with these max speeds? What happens if you don't? Do you lag or something?

Also, if you (or anyone) gets wireless/BB with the GC BBA, how do you get Ep2 or Ep3 to give you the list of ships? Is this why you are worried about "N"?

Does this help?

Curiosity
Aug 19, 2005, 12:11 AM
Haha, actually I'd totally forgotten about the eventual PS3 addition to the network, and possible 360 (kinda reconsidering actually getting one). -__-; Actually I've got a Linksys wired router now, in fact just recently got my connectivity issue fixed (I hope) that may have been router related.

I'm curious about your setup, is all of your equipment on the same floor?

I was never able to actually use my GC BBA... >__< Due mainly to not having a way to easily route the ethernet to my router (being on different levels of the house) w/out "surgery". And at the time I wasn't sure I had any real need for a wireless network. Only thing that would be on the wireless would've been the GC. And when I was able to try use it (temp move to diff location) I was never able to get it to work w/the DSL at that place. (I forgot if it was router related or ISP connection related.) I remember seeing that Linksys game AP adapter-thing, I would've gotten one of those...

As for the "max speeds" thing, it's not necessarily about that. I just want to minimize (potential) interference, or rather maximize my signal/throughput/whatever. I've got a decent connection, and I'd rather not lose too much "internally". What it boils down to is my just wanting the best signal possible, knowing house construction can play a big factor in it. I don't currently know about potential lag over a wireless network as I don't have one, nor do I have any experience w/them (wireless networks). Which is partly the reason in asking. (Am I talking in circles? If so, sorry...)

Now as for the "N" part of it. That just deals more with the MIMO thing, at least as far as I know. Potential for higher speeds, greater distances. Really more if whether or not I should go with current MIMO/Pre-N or "standard" G network. Given my situation I may not need as "much" as a MIMO network might potentially provide, especially considering the more expensive equipment.

This actually brings up another question I've had thought about before, how does a game system fit in with a WPA protected network? I would hope they'd do fine on at least a WEP protected one...

And yeah it helps some.

AzureBlaze
Aug 21, 2005, 10:58 PM
All my stuff is on the same floor.
I think I read somewhere that you were supposed to imagine the "Power field" or something of the wireless 'area' that is created by all this stuff like a big invisible sphere, with the center being the hub or router. Anything within the 'ball' will work right as long as you don't put some huge steel construct in the way. So if the middle was in the middle of a 2-floor house or something, you'd still be covered. If not, you can buy those little booster gizmos.

All my stuff IS firewalled, and everything looks like it should work. I am STILL stuck offline on pso though, because it won't gimme the ship-select screen. But a firewall couldn't stop that....if it was going to stop or 'protect' anything, you wouldn't be able to get even that far.

What's even more baffling is that it's happening all over. I just turned up another guy who's brother (lives away) can't get it to work, and yet 1 more with a freind who can't connect with 'new' bba.

I just don't want all your efforts and questions to be for nothing, if there actually is no solution to this stupid broadband=no ships trash.

Ketchup345
Aug 22, 2005, 08:55 AM
I use a Wireless G Network in my house. I do occasionally bring my laptop to my room, which is across the house and up a floor from the router. I get a decent signal strength from there (it changes, but the lowest I saw was 11 Mbps, and highest was 36, out of a max of 54). This is still faster than most modems can download, so you should be fine going with a Wireless G (should save you a decent amount of $).

By the way, my router is a Linksys WRT54G, so it doesn't have anything like speedboost or anything like that.