PDA

View Full Version : Virus warning- pokapoka63

Neith
Aug 21, 2005, 07:37 AM
I just got rid of this from my computer, it was actually the cause of BB minimizing.

What happens is a piece of spyware called 'EliteBar' installs in Internet Explorer (Note: I dont even use IE, but it installed itself there anyway)

This toolbar brings up random pop-ups, which are annoying, but not too bad.

I used Spybot: Search and Destroy to get rid of the toolbar.

However, once the toolbar is deleted, a virus (which I'm assuming came with the toolbar) activates. I have no idea what the purpose of this virus is, but it's called 'pokapoka63.exe', and installs itself in your C:WINDOWS folder, in a folder called etb.

You can't delete it straight away since it's running,(it prevents access to Task Manager) so I used Spybot again, then re-started my computer. I could then use Task Manager, end the process and then delete the folder from my system.

So far, nothing else has gone wrong. If you have the latest updates for AVG, that should alert you of this virus, I just thought I'd let you know about it.

Fanta
Aug 21, 2005, 07:50 AM
On 2005-08-21 05:37, UrikoBB3 wrote:
it was actually the cause of BB minimizing.

So BB caused this? I suppose thats another reason why I wont be able to get it and if I do, thanks for the heads up.

Ryna
Aug 21, 2005, 09:07 AM
On 2005-08-21 05:50, Fanta wrote:

So BB caused this? I suppose thats another reason why I wont be able to get it and if I do, thanks for the heads up.

It is likely the spyware/virus was on the computer before Blue Burst was ever installed. BB did not cause this.

Neith
Aug 21, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think my mum might've used Internet Explorer rather than Firefox, which couldve startd it.

However, BB was already on the computer when I got this, but the toolbar/virus was resonsible for BB minimizing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2005-08-21 10:27 ]</font>

navci
Aug 21, 2005, 12:25 PM
This is why having Zonealarm is a good idea. As a firewall it might be lacking, but as a internet access control it is quite awesome. IE is forever blocked from internet access on my PC. As is anything that I don't know what they are, never grant permission. It works quite well.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 22, 2005, 02:09 AM
On 2005-08-21 05:50, Fanta wrote:

That wasn't a heads up about BB. He was saying that this "toolbar" randomly tossing up pop-up ads was causing Blue Burst to lose focus, and therefore shut down. It's not that Blue Burst caused a problem for his computer, it's that the toolbar caused a problem for Blue Burst.

Meh
Aug 22, 2005, 06:42 AM
I'm not to worried about viruses since my computer has too much protection. And who names these things anyway?

Fanta
Aug 22, 2005, 06:47 AM
On 2005-08-22 00:09, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

That wasn't a heads up about BB. He was saying that this "toolbar" randomly tossing up pop-up ads was causing Blue Burst to lose focus, and therefore shut down. It's not that Blue Burst caused a problem for his computer, it's that the toolbar caused a problem for Blue Burst.

Ahh... Either way, I hope you sorted it Uriko http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Feelmirath
Aug 22, 2005, 07:28 AM
Ah, so THATS why your bro kept disconnecting...
And whoever names these viruses should be shot...
Ah well, i have the power of MCafeeblockitall in my arsenal http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
*bites*

Blitzkommando
Aug 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
Many of the virii are named after their programmers. This should reveal a lot of things about virii and the programmers behind them.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Aug 25, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah maybe Blitzkommando, that would at least provide a clue. And UrikoBB3, thanks for the heads up.

CSKA_Sofia
Aug 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
Do you have Microsoft Anti-spyware? It might alert you when the toolbar installs.. I'm not sure. It's normally effective for things like that.

Neith
Aug 27, 2005, 04:58 PM
It doesn't matter now, I reloaded from factory settings to get rid of it- was nothing important on computer anyway http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hrigg
Aug 28, 2005, 09:43 AM
That's good to hear, Uriko.

I don't have too much to fear. We have so many anti-virus/firewall/spyware-destroying things on the computer, so I don't really worry about virii.

Link00seven
Aug 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
Thank's for the information. I run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AVG regularly, but it's always a good idea to know about this stuff.

I wish I could just get IE off my computer forever, but there are still a couple sites that are not Firefox friendly...but I still will sometimes have friends that use my PC and goto use IE. They get so mad when I steal the mouse from them and close IE and make them use Firefox, but it's my computer http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif