PDA

View Full Version : Frigging msn virus thingy

Kuea
Aug 22, 2005, 02:27 AM
for a while now my msn has been screwing up for some reason unknown to me

sometimes it will freeze all my control for the computer and open up a convo window for one of my online contacts and send the message

LMAO! you've got to see this! http://www.warezddls.com/download.php?type=movies&id=5219

or some other message with a differant link or something

and then it will close that window, open another window for a differant online contact and then rinse and repeat

after that, you have to either sign out then back in again or switch to appear offline then back to online again just to talk to open a convo window so you can talk to someone

Navi suggested AVG yesterday so I got it and ran it but the problem still persists

it has also opened up a new e-mail window in hotmail and had written stuff there ( didn't send an email though ) along with once making me spam some link in irc

and when all this started, my norton on this computer decided to not want to work so it shut itself off and refuses to turn any of it's things on and refuses to perform a scan of the comp ( hence I got AVG )

along with norton, my task manager also refuses to stay open for more then 1-2 seconds

this is really pissing me off and I dunno what to do D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eclair on 2005-08-22 04:17 ]</font>

Skorpius
Aug 22, 2005, 02:59 AM
Uninstall MSN, and use Trillian. >_>!

Hijack This:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Run it, and delete everything that shows up. It shouldn't pick up anything major, so it's ok to kill off everything it displays to you.

Also, make sure you turn off FILE BACKUP, or whatever option it is, before you clean up things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-08-22 01:01 ]</font>

Kuea
Aug 22, 2005, 05:57 AM
damn well it automatically closes the folder that the hijack program is in when it's opened or it'll close the actual program before anything can be done :/

so it closes hijack this the same way it closes task manager :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eclair on 2005-08-22 04:18 ]</font>

>_>

<_<

I forgot about safe mode http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I booted up the comp in that and then ran hijackthis

after switching back to regualr I can open my task manager and have it stay open so I just have to wait and see if msn keeps screwing up

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eclair on 2005-08-22 04:41 ]</font>

Neith
Aug 23, 2005, 02:32 PM
It's the same thing I had... for some reason though, even after running HijackThis, it still came back.

My computer would be fine for a few hours, then after that I couldnt keep Task Manager or Registry Editor open.

I had to end up reloading from factory settings, and getting someone to re-install all the drivers for my GFX card.

Ryna
Aug 23, 2005, 02:44 PM
On 2005-08-23 12:32, UrikoBB3 wrote:
I had to end up reloading from factory settings, and getting someone to re-install all the drivers for my GFX card.

Keep in mind that it is very important to run Windows Update after doing doing a factory reinstallation. Depending on your network setup, you maybe leaving yourself wide open for worms.

Neith
Aug 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, as soon as I get back connected up, that'll be the first thing I do.

Ryna
Aug 23, 2005, 03:06 PM
On 2005-08-23 12:55, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Yeah, as soon as I get back connected up, that'll be the first thing I do.

If you can, try to install SP2 offline before hooking your system back up to the Internet. If that isn't an option, be sure to setup a software Firewall before plugging the machine into the network.