PDA

View Full Version : Actually, I think PSU should also have text chat.

_Tek_
Aug 24, 2005, 10:44 PM
I was thinking about the pros and cons of text vs voice chat and I've concluded that text chat would be better mainly for one reason: Censoring.

If you look at voice chat, nothing is stopping some little teenager with an annoying voice and lisp to drop the F bomb over and over.

With text chat, you can block out any string of letters that come up as offensive, and to stop spamming they could implement a censor that won't allow you to post the same exact message over and over. I've seen games where you can't type the same message immiedatly after posting it. (EX:, if you type "stfu!" you couldn't type that exact same message again until something new was said)

Now of course someone could just say the same thing over and over but change it a bit each time like STFU#, STFU$, etc. But this would atleast stop people from spamming shortcut messages.

Lastly text chat is better because you can type in 1337, case closed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-08-24 21:09 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Aug 24, 2005, 11:05 PM
I agree... I definitely don't want to hear any of that crap... And I'm not sure I would want to be heard either... And can you imagine lobbies??? What was it like on the Xbox version? Was voice chat possible? I don't even know! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

_Tek_
Aug 24, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think xbox had a function that let you speak to certain people directly, and you could probably mute everyone else, but that's a pain in the ass anyways.

With text chat you could also look at the look window to see the recent history of chat, so then that may also help in arguments between morons. "You said it!"
"no i didn't!" "see it says right htere in the log window" pwnt, etc.

Reenee
Aug 24, 2005, 11:17 PM
Voice Chatting should be no different than Guild Cards: give them to who you trust. You clutter up the screen less, your game plays more efficiently, you can get assistance faster, etc.

_Tek_
Aug 24, 2005, 11:27 PM
But can't you do that in both text and voice? In pso-BB couldn't you set up the chat so that it transmitted what you said to everyone in your special team of friends?

Reenee
Aug 25, 2005, 10:16 AM
I gave up on GC PSO over two years ago. Don't ask me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nash
Aug 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
I've always preferred text-chat in PSO. I just find it more relaxing and less intrusive when you are playing it for long sessions.

I think they should license a Babel Fish style auto-translator for the game and offer that as an option. Would make for some good comedy translations as well http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Aug 25, 2005, 11:06 AM
Censoring is stupid. Oh noes, little Timmy heard the F-word on PSU!!111

One, WTF is little Timmy doing playing a game rated 'Teen'? Did nobody bother to tell little Timmy's parents that hey, little Timmy might be better off with Super Mario Bros. 88 1/32nd? >_>

Two, little Timmy already learned the F-word from his daddy last time daddy accidentally smashed his fingers with a hammer.

Three, ST has already proven their inability to come up with any kind of sensible censor system. Shoes? Saturday? Amusement? Frozen Shooter? Hell Rifle? Heck, they can't even get it consistent! 'Sexy' is censored, but Elly says it in the game.

Basically, my point. If you're under 13, you shouldn't be playing the game. Actually, I'd prefer if it was at least 15. And if you are that old... Um, you aren't going to learn anything new as far as cursing goes. >_>

But of course they've always got to dumb everything down and make it stupid so little Timmy's idiot parents who shouldn't have bought him the game in the first place but did anyway so he'd shut up for five minutes because they're too lazy to parent him properly won't whine that the media and videogames are exposing their little darling to foul language and violence. 9_9

Puppet_Papaya
Aug 25, 2005, 12:17 PM
Ian's entire post, yo.
Agreed. Everything.

Parn
Aug 25, 2005, 01:42 PM
I disagree, probably because I have this crazy idea where there might be people in this world that don't want to be exposed to foul language all the time.

The word censor should be a toggle function, much like map direction, rumble packs, etc.

Nai_Calus
Aug 25, 2005, 02:33 PM
I don't want to be exposed to homophobia or people going on about how 'flamboyantly happy' something is, but hey, it ain't going away no matter how much it actually DOES hurt me personally and how much I wish it would stop.

I think you can deal with the F-bomb. Please, don't even try whining to me about swear words.

_Tek_
Aug 25, 2005, 04:58 PM
Age won't matter, I was 16-17 when I playyed PSO, I was just as a dumbass as little timmy would've been.

DarK-SuN
Aug 26, 2005, 02:04 AM
I can actually agree with Ian's post.

I mean, I got severely irritated (and still do) when I had to actually write words like saturday, basement and so on incorrectly so that they wouldn't have half of their letters censored out thanks to the stupid censor.

A toggle option would definitely be much better (I'd have it off all the time anyway), but it's either that or no censor for me.

I mean, I don't know about you, but I prefer seeing swear words writen properly than have someone typing things like "smex" (believe it or not I saw someone type it like this, not that it's a swear word or anything anyway), "fcuk", "b0obs" and "h3ll" (not that hell is a swear word but it's still censored, god forbid people to see the word Hell being typed) which is very annoying, or having to type the ones which aren't swear words diferently because they are still partially censored due to pieces of them being swear words like "bas3ment", "sh0es", "Frozen Sh00ter", "Mar1ca" (the mag) and "bl0w" something away (not to mention the fact they censored the word "queen" or the fact you can't have a character with the word "queen" in the name ever since PSO Episode 1&2, but I won't get to that nor the reason as to why it was censored).
It's more hypocrisy and stupidity than I can handle.

Good lord, I'm agreeing with Ian; the world is going to end soon... XD

Reenee
Aug 26, 2005, 02:15 AM
Let's put it this way:

Word to Sonic Team: FFXI is also T-rated. You can turn the filter off there.

OWNED.

_Tek_
Aug 26, 2005, 02:44 AM
Good, then I guess I don't have to worry about getting banned. Silly me, I though ST was going to be serious this time. On BB they only seem to be trying to ban people that actually tried to hack something, but I bet the rest of the racists and perverts are still playing.

Blitzkommando
Aug 26, 2005, 03:12 AM
On 2005-08-25 12:33, Ian-KunX wrote:
I don't want to be exposed to homophobia or people going on about how 'flamboyantly happy' something is, but hey, it ain't going away no matter how much it actually DOES hurt me personally and how much I wish it would stop.

I think you can deal with the F-bomb. Please, don't even try whining to me about swear words.

Just because your sense of morals is different doesn't mean that someone else's are any less valid. I too would love to see a toggled censor mode. That way you can have your precious swearing and I can have my pleasant, clean, experience.

Rubius-sama
Aug 26, 2005, 03:26 AM
Xbox had text and voice chat. I don't see why PSU can't have both. This way, people can use what they prefer. For those that don't want to hear any voices, you can always mute the voice output or just mute certain individuals.

Parn
Aug 26, 2005, 04:37 AM
On 2005-08-25 12:33, Ian-KunX wrote:
And don't even try talking down to me as if I can't handle swear words. I'm in the military, mm'kay?

That said, it doesn't change the situation any. Maybe you should deal with the existance of a word filter? Funny how these two-way streets work.

Addendum: I find it particularly fascinating that you have issue with homophobes and the language they use and your general preference that people not speak in such a manner, yet you apparently show no signs of respect for others in regards to swearing. You offer the same total disregard for others with such an attitude. Just something to think about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-08-26 02:45 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Aug 26, 2005, 09:05 AM
You act like it's the same thing, though, and it isn't.

Say a random four-letter word. The F-word, for example. Ok, yeah, so? It's a slang term for intercourse. Yeeeah... So? >_> Nothin' wrong with that, is there? Gotta make babies, gotta keep the missus happy, dontcha? Can't even see how it could possibly be offensive.

Now take a random term for 'homosexual'. The G one, for example. Say it about something like 90% of this forum does. Ok, now this is offensive. Can you tell me why? Yes, yes of course. Because it directly refers to a group of people, and associates them with something in a negative manner.

So here's an example. Which statement is actually legitimately offensive, and which is just personal opinion?

"Ah, f--- this."
Or
"Man, this is g--."

Hmm, I wonder. Which one is actually doing something harmful? Heck, you can get amusement out of the first one due to the completely incorrect use of the word. LOL, dude wants to dance the horizontal tango with whatever it is. Maybe his homework. Hey, dude wants to have sex with his homework! Hilarious, ain't it?

Now the second one... What, the thing in question is homosexual? What's so bad about that? Oh wait, nothing. But hey, those homos are a bunch of freaks who are destroying the world, right? So this is awful, ain't it? Just terrible! So let's see. Well hey, statement b just made an assumption about and insulted millions and millions of people.

Do you see which one is REALLY offensive, now?

Hey, I don't like the word 'surprise'. I hate surprises. It offends me now. Let's stop saying it, it's offensive!

So examine things a little closer, eh?

And when the good 80% of this board's population that does it stops saying that stuff is 'homosexual' to degrade it and say it 'sucks'... Yeah, that's the day I might begin to actually give a crap about swearing. Except probably not, because it doesn't actually hurt anybody personally unless they're way too defensive anyway.

You'd be pissed if you were black and everyone said things were 'n-wordish', right? Swearing would probably be the last thing in the world you'd give a rat's behind about stopping. Just not even important next to the legions of people going on about how much what you are sucks.

There are far more important things to worry about eradicating in this world than the supposed evils of swear words. Saying that stoping swearing is as important, or even MORE important than stopping the actual degradation of millions of people is incredibly selfish and short-sighted. Rid the world of things that actually hurt, first.

Oh, yeah, and I am myself homosexual, in case you were wondering. So sorry, you're right, I really don't care about problems with swearing. I don't want to hear about how things are supposedly awful like me, but that ain't gonna be changing any time soon, is it? So deal. Just like with me, the world ain't gonna change just because it somehow offends you. At least when you see what you don't like, the words aren't meant as an attack against what you are. 9_9

Ok, off my Social Diversity class soapbox now. Have a nice day. :3

shinobu_seta
Aug 26, 2005, 10:11 AM
It's not so much that cursing offends me, it's just that it's VERY annoying.

If you've played anything out there that supports voice chat as it's main method of communication, you'll know that the little "Timmies" out there can't speak a sentence without at least 3 curse words included. It just makes you sound like an idiot and I hate interacting with people like that.

I don't like voice chat because I hate hearing other people's voices, and I hate hearing my own. I like to imagine what their character sounds like in my head when reading their speach bubbles. Hearing people's accents, cursings, and mismatched ages just takes away from the game's charm for me.

I mean, I'll use it, but I'd much prefer to just type.

Reiz_Fan
Aug 26, 2005, 10:51 AM
Dispite all the disadvantages with voice chat; i still like it a tad better because is faster and easier. But all the little kids or "Timmys" would get annoying though, but i guess you could always mute them.

Nai_Calus
Aug 26, 2005, 12:21 PM
Well, yeah, in voice chat it's annoying as heck from little Timmy, but how are you going to censor it there? XD;;; Doesn't bug me at all in text... Except when it's censored and little Timmy is typing in 1337 to get around the censor. >_>;;; On PSO we get around it with random dots and the like and intentional misspellings... Which look really retarded, yeah? Just allow it, and then at least we can see the proper word and not it's misspelled retardo-speak equivalent. As long as you don't end up with '#@!*y' instead of 'spicy'...

Mind you, if it's implemented in such a way as to avoid censoring normal words, I wouldn't mind a text censor that got rid of derogatory terms, and took into account the various ways of de-censoring them. That kind of crap isn't ever needed and is always offensive. Swearing? Pfft. Every curse word I know I learned from my mother by the time I was six. XP

A censor you can turn on and off as you wish would be a good compromise.

rena-ko
Aug 26, 2005, 12:30 PM
make an option on creatings games.
-difficulty
-episode
-password
-censorship yes/no

or rightaway, an option in the settings. 'yes i'm old enough to have my own creditcard, i can stomach swearwords'. something in the likes. link it with the cc number as verification.

besides this, i agree with ian.

Parn
Aug 26, 2005, 01:12 PM
On 2005-08-26 07:05, Ian-KunX wrote:
You act like it's the same thing, though, and it isn't.
Except the situation IS the same. Curse words offend some people. The word 'gay' used as a replacement for 'lame' offends some people, such as yourself.

Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Say a random four-letter word. The F-word, for example. Ok, yeah, so? It's a slang term for intercourse. Yeeeah... So? >_> Nothin' wrong with that, is there? Gotta make babies, gotta keep the missus happy, dontcha? Can't even see how it could possibly be offensive.
Now you're just being childish. You know for a fact that there are many people in this world that don't want to hear that kind of language. I highly doubt you'd walk into a church and start using that kind of language, and if you did, I'd definitely say that you have a total lack of respect for other people.

Now take a random term for 'homosexual'. The G one, for example. Say it about something like 90% of this forum does. Ok, now this is offensive. Can you tell me why? Yes, yes of course. Because it directly refers to a group of people, and associates them with something in a negative manner.
Ah yes, the classic argument regarding the usage of the word "gay".

Well how about this? C--k used to mean a male chicken, g-y used to mean happy, and fa--ot used to mean a bundle of sticks. The only original word the homosexual community has IS homosexual. Perhaps the homosexual community should stop butchering the English language to begin with?

Not only that, but:

On PSO we get around it with random dots and the like and intentional misspellings... Which look really retarded, yeah?
Really retarded, eh? Using the word "retard" in the same manner as some people use the word "gay" kind of makes you a hypocrite, now doesn't it?

So here's an example. Which statement is actually legitimately offensive, and which is just personal opinion?

"Ah, f--- this."
Or
"Man, this is g--."

Hmm, I wonder.
Simple, the answer is both are legitimately offensive. This isn't rocket science.

Which one is actually doing something harmful? Heck, you can get amusement out of the first one due to the completely incorrect use of the word. LOL, dude wants to dance the horizontal tango with whatever it is. Maybe his homework. Hey, dude wants to have sex with his homework! Hilarious, ain't it?
What's hilarious is that you think people that don't want to hear curse words are "illegitimately being offended".

Now the second one... What, the thing in question is homosexual? What's so bad about that? Oh wait, nothing. But hey, those homos are a bunch of freaks who are destroying the world, right? So this is awful, ain't it? Just terrible! So let's see. Well hey, statement b just made an assumption about and insulted millions and millions of people.
Kind of like you insulted millions of retarded people around the world. Double standards are neat, aren't they?

Do you see which one is REALLY offensive, now?
Call me crazy, but maybe BOTH can be offensive, and preferably, NEITHER should be done?

Hey, I don't like the word 'surprise'. I hate surprises. It offends me now. Let's stop saying it, it's offensive!
Temper tantrum, hoy!

And when the good 80% of this board's population that does it stops saying that stuff is 'homosexual' to degrade it and say it 'sucks'... Yeah, that's the day I might begin to actually give a crap about swearing.
I guess being the better man is entirely out of the question.

Except probably not, because it doesn't actually hurt anybody personally
Or maybe you aren't in any position to determine what is offensive to someone else, and what isn't.

unless they're way too defensive anyway.
Kind of like how you get offended by the usage of the word "gay".

You'd be pissed if you were black and everyone said things were 'n-wordish', right?
Of course. Though instead, I'm part Asian, and received my fair share of "ching-chong" jokes. That doesn't mean it's time to just take a giant crap on everyone else around me, spewing curse words whenever I feel like it because some people choose to be ignorant and rude.

Swearing would probably be the last thing in the world you'd give a rat's behind about stopping. Just not even important next to the legions of people going on about how much what you are sucks.
Or, maybe it's just as legitimate and unnecessary.

There are far more important things to worry about eradicating in this world than the supposed evils of swear words. Saying that stoping swearing is as important, or even MORE important than stopping the actual degradation of millions of people is incredibly selfish and short-sighted. Rid the world of things that actually hurt, first.
What's selfish is the very idea that someone else's feelings don't matter because they're "not as important".

Oh, yeah, and I am myself homosexual, in case you were wondering.
I figured as much the moment you brought this argument up, though honestly I don't care who loves who, since it's none of my business.

So sorry, you're right, I really don't care about problems with swearing. I don't want to hear about how things are supposedly awful like me, but that ain't gonna be changing any time soon, is it? So deal. Just like with me, the world ain't gonna change just because it somehow offends you.
The world isn't going to change so long as people like you exist and refuse to be the better man (or woman).

At least when you see what you don't like, the words aren't meant as an attack against what you are. 9_9
But are still a show of total disrespect when it is made known that it's offensive, and you still do it anyways.

Ok, off my Social Diversity class soapbox now. Have a nice day. :3
You may want to take another semester of said class.

Note that I do use swear words, and I make racist jokes among friends, making fun of myself on a regular basis no less. It all comes to a screeching halt if anyone is offended.

The difference between an adult and a child is that they know how to respond appropriately to different situations. A child keeps hitting other children with the excuse "well that kid hit me first!"

VioletSkye
Aug 26, 2005, 01:29 PM
**Ahem** Back to the topic at hand http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I can forsee PSU supporting both text chat and voice chat (I know nothing has been officially stated, but I'm simply going on intuition) so chances are you will be able to use whichever you choose. An optional filter for text chat would be a nice feature for those who don't want to see swear words. One thing I always wished for on PSO was the option to ban someone like you could do on Diablo. If I'm in the lobby, why can't I simply select another player and choose to ban them so I don't have to listen to and see his/her spamming all over the place. If PSU could do something similiar for both Text and Voice chat, I'd be extremely happy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

HEAR THAT SEGA!!! GIVE US THE ABILITY TO BAN OBNOXIOUS PLAYERS!!!!!

Btw for anyone who may have misread that, I'm not saying I want the ability to ban players from the game, I mean that I want the ability to not have to see their text or listen to their voice if I so choose. Basically the same type of system that was on Battlenet except for voice and text.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-26 11:32 ]</font>

_Tek_
Aug 26, 2005, 05:41 PM
Another point is PSU doesn't really need voice chat, voice chat is more suited for tactical games, or FPS. PSO is just a game where you fight monsters, but their battle modes may be more advanced.

So either way Voice chat or text chat will work I guess.

Let's just hope ST remembers to implement atleast one of them lol. Imagine if there was no chat, like that RE online game.

ForcefulFlare
Aug 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
They may be evil but they're not stupid. A lack of either system would kill the game faster than a hacked Spread Needle to the head. As for banning players, how about being able to kick players out of a team you created, rather than having to run off and make a locked one elsewhere... I've neer used the voice chat system myself but it would be strange for me at first, and make me unable to focus on multiple conversations at once (e.g. people talking in a lobby, getting mailed at the same time, etc.).

Censorship should DEFINITELY be optional, swear words don't bother me personally but I feel offended when my perfectly inoffensive chat about finding Frozen Shooters or blowing through trifluids too quickly is made incomprehendable by a flawed filter system. If people want to swear they will dodge the filter with considerable ease, if I ever feel I don't want to read/hear swearing I'll do what I do in real life - say something about it or find someone else to talk to.

adamgnome104
Aug 27, 2005, 08:17 PM
As long as they don't add those damn smilies that everyone used to spam around.

NO I DO NOT WANT TO GET SUPER SAIYIN WITH IT! -_-

I don't want to use voice chat because I'm too sure to use my voice. >___< But they did say there have USB keyboard support so I'm happy!!

Halo 2 idiots are a great example of why NOT to have voice chat.

I also hope they GET A BETTER CENSORING SYSTEM!

LET ME SAY FART PLZ!!1111one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2005-08-27 18:18 ]</font>

_Tek_
Aug 27, 2005, 08:26 PM
On 2005-08-27 10:38, ForcefulFlare wrote:
As for banning players, how about being able to kick players out of a team you created, rather than having to run off and make a locked one elsewhere...

Its been proven in other online games that kicking other player is severely abused and severely unfair. It would kill the team factor of the game, which is why they want to make it online in teh first place.

Censorship should DEFINITELY be optional

I agree, there should be a little option where you can turn it off for your client side of the game.

RoninJoku
Aug 28, 2005, 03:38 AM
PSO should censor salty <.<... If you get that... You are probably a huuuge dance game nerd XD !!!

Anyway... I'm against voice-chat... I really don't like people... And hearing their voices reminds me that i'm actually playing with them... So I don't want to hear their voices... Plus I suck at talking and would embarrass myself all the time by switching up words in sentences and mixing up all the first letters in weird ways... =p

_Tek_
Aug 28, 2005, 11:38 AM
I would simply annoy them.

ForcefulFlare
Aug 28, 2005, 09:09 PM
On 2005-08-27 18:26, _Tek_ wrote:
Its been proven in other online games that kicking other player is severely abused and severely unfair. It would kill the team factor of the game, which is why they want to make it online in teh first place.

I must admit I haven't played any online games with kick functions. Maybe what I actually want is for there not to be any idiot n00bs anywhere near me... Bring back PKing! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif