PDA

View Full Version : You've probably already seen these E3 vids.

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 12:50 AM
But I haven't, they show alot more stuff to me. I love how Ethan carries the sword behind him like its actually heavy.

http://www.4gamer.net/news.php?url=/DataContents/game/2148.html

There are 2 vids for download, just look at the 2 pictures, and look left to see the short link with MPEG written after it.

The animation looks much better than what I thought of it before. I mustn't have been watching well enough. Gameplay is so much faster, your character actually runs when you move them, unlike PSO's walk then jog crap. This is good because the maps look huge.

I guess the magic wand doesn't do any actual melee attacks, so why did they put a blade on it?

The woosh shadow from the blades looks much cooler.

Also, I've still only seen 4 players on screen at once from all of the videos.

Dam, that dragon can sure kick your ass.

I just noticed something in this picture:
ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/Phantasy%20Star%20Universe/Screens/PSU_E3_2.jpg
Hyuga has his handgun attached to his waist, like its in a holster. Interesting. Also, they have individual fingers now, no more paws!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-08-29 00:42 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Aug 29, 2005, 02:53 AM
The Dragon video wasn't new to me, but the second one with the run through several areas (which starts with that Golem like boss thingy) was definately enlightning and very much new to me.

Things I noticed (if you pay attention to the mixes of sounds) is that voice overs are in Japanese while the subtitles are in english (good prospect, hope they keep it like this).

Another thing is the weapon switch, clearly visible that Ethan scrolls through a ton of weapon setups, not just three as previously thought.
That menu just sorts out all the possible setups from all the weapons you have in your inventory, or so it seems.

True, that Force weapon seemed to only have GiFoie and Resta, but it's possible that others allow for normal attacks as well as techniques, thus giving that blade at the tip a purpose.
The other explanation for the bladed tip is simple decoration (like a magic wand of a magician, they don't really use it to wack the bunnies out of their hats, even though it's a wooden stick with two metalic extremeties).

Also, to note that the footage is entirely made from the PC version.
By comparing it with the known Dragon video (which clearly says "PRESS ENTER TO START" at the title screen and "Press Enter to Revive/Continue" when the character dies), you can clearly see how all the gauges, mini-map and action pallete are smaller since they retains their normal pixel resolution instead of stretching to normal proportion like in PSOBB at higher resolutions (my guess would be that PSU there is running at 1024x768, something the PS2 version obviously can't do).

Right now I'm cursing the person who didn't leak that E3 demo to the public.
Yes, I know it's a bad thing to say, but I'm all jumpy like that right now about PSU. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Final note: You're only seeing parties of 4 because the offline play was already said to only have parties of 4 by Sonic Team in that interview/article at Game Informer.

Edit: More things I noticed (watching this in a loop, go figure).
The monsters (at least those in the mountain/field/forest like setting) disappear in a puff of green smoke when they die, as if they were desintegrating.

Attacks that cause the target to fall to the ground (or "knock down") have a sort of "swirling wind" effect when they hit the enemy (effect used for both player attacks and monster attacks).
Attacks that I noticed had this ability were mostly performed when the player in question pressed the "special" attack of the weapon (in a saber's case, Cross Slash, which also depletes the saber's PP points, or so it seemed to me); the Golem like boss thingy at the start of the video also had a "knock down" attack which causes the same "swirling wind" effect, but I'm sure everyone noticed that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-29 01:07 ]</font>

rena-ko
Aug 29, 2005, 06:26 AM
hm, interesting footage.
i like the idea that you have to find two daggers to be able to equip each hand with one. just like in the old games.

i dont like the camera and aiming tho. lets hope they tweak that a little.

Parn
Aug 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
The aiming system is a throwback to the original Dreamcast PSO, where your character didn't automatically turn on the second or third hit in a combo. I actually prefer it that way, as I get irritated when I'd face a specific direction and swing my sword or partisan on GameCube PSO, and the game would turn my character to face the closest enemy and I'd proceed to get hit from an enemy I'm no longer hitting on my second and third swings.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2005-08-29 08:18 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Aug 29, 2005, 01:08 PM
Agreed, Parn.
I also prefer it this way.

_Tek_
Aug 29, 2005, 07:48 PM
At first I thought the 1st person aim would be useless unless enemies had specific weak points, but after seeing the dragon fight I realise that the 1st person aiming would be much more useful when the dragon flies above, you can't auto target it then, so you aim.

The combat moves also seem much faster, goodbye to battle units?

And I also noticed that the monsters disintigrate, but the new ones that spawn seem to come out of nowhere, and are running, unlike the old monsters of PSO. The ones that would appear, roar, and then start mindlessly converging onto your position.

And I agree with what was said about dual weilding. The Character in the vids propably didn't have another saber available. Since it was a demo, maybe there was no where to obtain another saber, or handgun.