PDA

View Full Version : Should Karate become an olympic sport?

Abaddon
Aug 24, 2002, 04:20 AM
Would you support Karate (or other martial arts) becoming part of the olympic games?
It seems quite biased that only Tae-Kwon-Do and Judo are considered for olympic participation.

visit http://www.wkf.net and sign the petition if you are interested.

Abaddon

LollipopLolita
Aug 24, 2002, 05:50 AM
people want ballroom dancing to be an olympic sport. how about that?

ABDUR101
Aug 24, 2002, 06:19 AM
...I don't know..people dance on ICE, ski at incredible speed, run, jump, climb...and all the other stuff I don't watch...I say we take out some of the more mundane events and add some carnage =O

Yes..martial arts.

Darrin
Aug 24, 2002, 07:47 AM
If skateboarding was an olympic event I would be intrested. They made snowboarding an event, so it could happen

Abaddon
Aug 24, 2002, 09:23 AM
I am open to other walks of sport becoming an olympic sport, but seeing as i do martial arts it was the only field i could htink of which was lacking...

if they had figure skating, ballroom dancing could be done as well. and yes, since snowboarding is an olympic sport, skateboarding could be incorporated as well.
But then again, so could boot throwing and midget throwing...so i guess they'd have to draw the line somewhere.
Opinions anyone?

ABDUR101
Aug 24, 2002, 10:26 AM
On 2002-08-24 07:23, Abaddon wrote:
But then again, so could boot throwing and midget throwing...so i guess they'd have to draw the line somewhere.
Opinions anyone?

...tossing midgets is fun and enduring work. It's kind of like throwing gnomes...but not nearly as funny.

In short..yes, I agree they should open the Olympics for more things, because I'm sick of seeing the same damn people do the same damn stuff.

I honestly don't watch most of the Olympics because the majority of the stuff isn't interesting.

I used to watch ice skating and speed skating, and the gymnastics..but now it's all "...oh..wow...yay..*changes channel*.."

-BK-
Aug 24, 2002, 10:42 AM
They are talking about making skateboarding an Olympic sport. I'd like to see Bushido become an Olympic sport, but it's kind of the same reason that Ninjutsu (i'm not sure that's spelled right) won't be an Olympic sport. It's kind of hard to promot peace between the nations when you have them competing in weapon based exhibition.

Shadow_Blade
Aug 24, 2002, 01:05 PM
Yes it should! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif If I could choose the style, it would have to be USA goju, but if they made an olymipc event out of it,there would be only one style, or there would be all styles. ^_^;;

Ian D
Aug 24, 2002, 11:02 PM
Ooh, all styles carnage... that would be good to watch. Just fighting, all styles, grab whatever you can and stab/smack/rape the person with it.

BWS-1
Aug 24, 2002, 11:10 PM
huh, martial arts are a way of life, a philosophy and a way of defending yourself, it should have never been turned into a sport where just anyone can learn them (and make bad use of such art sometimes). Bah anyway, as an olympic dicipline, they'd make Ninjitsu look like crap ... like they did with judo. So little is showed and tought when learning an art for sport; and that's a good thing! It's MUCH better that way anyway, for everyone's sake.

Kent
Aug 25, 2002, 02:30 AM
I'd like to see people actually kicking the crap out of each other in organized tournaments. That'd be fun to watch, unlike wrestling (which is just so incredibly fake and unamusing).

Dangerous55
Aug 25, 2002, 03:16 AM
Bah, they cant have that many more evnts or the world implodes.

But I personally think Hiking should be a Olympic Sport, hiking is great, and can be quite tough and demanding.

Abaddon
Aug 25, 2002, 07:20 AM
On 2002-08-24 11:05, Shadow_Blade wrote:
Yes it should! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif If I could choose the style, it would have to be USA goju, but if they made an olymipc event out of it,there would be only one style, or there would be all styles. ^_^;;

You do Goju-Ryu? Mad so do i http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
But if they were to make karate it'd be all styles of karate. Goju-kai, Shito-ryu, Shuka-kai, etc etc.

*dons a Gi and battles Shadow_blade* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Daikarin
Aug 25, 2002, 07:34 AM
Kung Fu should. I mean it not as a contest, but as a demonstration of the various styles, as art.

Abaddon
Aug 25, 2002, 07:45 AM
Martial arts in the olympics doesnt have to be fighting others.
It can also be a demonstration of form, just like gymnastics. you are demonstrating a revised form and are judged on your strength and accuracy.

In karate we call them kata's. im not sure if they have the same name for diff martial arts but i know most martial arts would have forms.

Daikarin
Aug 25, 2002, 08:15 AM
Well, there's an exercise in Wing Tsun Kung Fu which consists of sparring to learn the basics of the art. There are a series of techniches which a fighter must do and the other must respond correctly, used a lot for training, called Pac Sao. They could use Pac Sao and other exercises such as Kata's for Karate like you said, as a demonstration of the arts, not in an aggressive way. That old rule of "WHO IS THE STRONGEST?" is way past its time. People should really learn to understand a martial artist and not to see him as a dangerous weapon.
Most people nowadays approach those who practice it and ask "COULD YOU TAKE THAT TOUGH GUY ON?"...
The law of the beast: The king of the jungle. Most martial artists aren't interested in that, but most viewers are. So, even if we made a demonstration, I bet viewers would prefer aggressive combat... ¬_¬

SorceressofTime
Aug 25, 2002, 08:26 AM
'Kata' means 'form' in Japanese. As well as, 'kumitae' for fighting - if people wanted to know that.

In my opinion, I'd really appreciate it if karate went into the Olympics. However, karate to be shown onto television, classified as a sport with all the others is an insult. But that's my opinion.

SorceressofTime
Aug 25, 2002, 08:35 AM
On 2002-08-25 06:15, New Ultimate wrote:
Most people nowadays approach those who practice it and ask "COULD YOU TAKE THAT TOUGH GUY ON?"...
The law of the beast: The king of the jungle. Most martial artists aren't interested in that, but most viewers are. So, even if we made a demonstration, I bet viewers would prefer aggressive combat... ?_?

Yeah, that's what most people are like nowadays. "That guy looks stronger. I wanna take you on." Geez, people don't have a life these days. A guy my brother knows actually went up to a member of my dojo and said, "I can beat you up easily." Then my brother said, "No you can't. Just because he's smaller than you, doesn't mean he can't take you down." Ha, that guy was clueless in the end.

Lloyd
Aug 25, 2002, 11:47 AM
I'd say to add a UFC type tourny except with more martial arts and less of that street-brawlers type. Imagine a UFC type tourny with the best fighters in the world representing their techniques. That'd be fun to watch.

Shadow_Blade
Aug 25, 2002, 12:06 PM
On 2002-08-25 09:47, Lloyd wrote:
I'd say to add a UFC type tourny except with more martial arts and less of that street-brawlers type. Imagine a UFC type tourny with the best fighters in the world representing their techniques. That'd be fun to watch.

They have full contact matches like that in japan.

Lloyd
Aug 25, 2002, 12:10 PM
O didn't know that, then I dunno if it be that great if they brought it world wide.

Abaddon
Aug 25, 2002, 04:23 PM
On 2002-08-25 06:15, New Ultimate wrote:
Well, there's an exercise in Wing Tsun Kung Fu which consists of sparring to learn the basics of the art. There are a series of techniches which a fighter must do and the other must respond correctly, used a lot for training, called Pac Sao. They could use Pac Sao and other exercises such as Kata's for Karate like you said, as a demonstration of the arts, not in an aggressive way. That old rule of "WHO IS THE STRONGEST?" is way past its time. People should really learn to understand a martial artist and not to see him as a dangerous weapon.
The law of the beast: The king of the jungle. Most martial artists aren't interested in that, but most viewers are. So, even if we made a demonstration, I bet viewers would prefer aggressive combat... ?_?

Pac Sao probably referrs to 'prearranged sparring' or kyogi's for us.
I agree entirely also. A lot of people tend to take on an agressive view to martial arts. when they find out that karate is one of your pasttimes/way of life, they say things like 'how many bricks can you break?' or 'could you beat me up?' etc etc.
Even though fellow students of mine tell me im a great fighter, i seldom use it in real life. i hate fighting. i'd rather avoid.
But yeah...
*goes to 'the person above you' thread*:P

ABDUR101
Aug 25, 2002, 04:29 PM
Hey, anything's better than watching in angst chanting "Fall. Fall. Fall." as the ice skaters do their thing. =O

I don't even watch boxing..but damnit..we need something new.

Lloyd
Aug 25, 2002, 05:28 PM
Aggressiveness isn't an entirely bad thing. Though you may not like fighting and prefer not to do you think those who train their entire life into their technique do it so they'll never have to use it? The people in China would actually love that kind of event and are voting for it because they want some sort of recognition towards their country. It is also a good way to advertise. Say you are master of a dojo in japan and you are looking for new recruits, winning a tourney like that would show your school is worth attending thereby giving you more students right?

-BK-
Aug 25, 2002, 07:52 PM
On 2002-08-24 21:10, BWS-1 wrote:
huh, martial arts are a way of life, a philosophy and a way of defending yourself, it should have never been turned into a sport where just anyone can learn them (and make bad use of such art sometimes). Bah anyway, as an olympic dicipline, they'd make Ninjitsu look like crap ... like they did with judo. So little is showed and tought when learning an art for sport; and that's a good thing! It's MUCH better that way anyway, for everyone's sake.

While this is true, you still have the different styles of Bushido (samurai fighting styles) that the people who mastered them engaged in a "fight" with others to test out the strength of both them and their opponent. All this, of course, was after the Edo era and Japan's revolutionary war.

BlackRose
Aug 25, 2002, 11:02 PM
In my opinion (yes, that says opinion, and I'm not changing it, so don't explode)

Karate has become more of a sport than a martail art. For one thing, the techniques, while once top-notch, are becoming obselete. Second, and more importantly, it seems like more and more people are simply learning the moves and not mastering their will and way of life. So, there's my two cents. And just for the record, I'd like to see it as an olympic sport.