PDA

View Full Version : System Difficulties...

DarkAceBlade
Sep 3, 2005, 03:30 PM
I know this section is more for online technical difficulties, but I don't see a better place to post this.

Has anyone had any difficulties with either their GCN suddenly not working correctly or the PSO disc not reading? PSO is the only game I've bothered to play on my GCN for the past 2 years, and I just recently started playing again after a 4 month break. When I turned on my GCN at first, it said that there was no disc inserted. After I opened it up and spun the disc with my finger to give it a little jump-start and closed the lid, it was at least able to read the disc.

Then after playing for about an hour, the entire game started skipping horribly (and I play entirely offline only, so internet lag would not be a playing factor here). Not only was this "lag" occuring (for lack of a better way to describe it), but my controller was also having troubles by either not sending the signal for the command, or it would send double commands as if I had pressed the button twice.

I'm stumped as to why my GCN would be acting up like this when I haven't used it in months. My only idea is that before I went on that little break, I would leave my GCN on for a week a time as I played because I didn't feel like turning it off (yes, I'm lazy... >.<) and maybe the motor inside that runs the discs has finally crapped out on me.

Can anyone please help me and offer up suggestions for fixing it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkAceBlade on 2005-09-03 13:32 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Sep 3, 2005, 03:49 PM
I would say you hit the nail on the head already. Leaving your GC on for weeks at a time is a good way to wear it out fast. Both the device that spins the disk as well as the laser itself wear down over time. Since you've had the GC for at least a few years, I can't imagine it being under warranty, so I would say that your best bet is to buy anotehr GC. BTW is it doing this with other games as well? Have you checked to make sure the PSO disk is clean?

DarkAceBlade
Sep 3, 2005, 03:52 PM
Yes, I have cleaned the disc and tested another game. It still had troubles starting the disc spinning on its own to read it, but the other game seemed to work fine and I didn't run into the weird "lag" problem. I guess I'm just going to have to hope that it holds together and keeps working because I really don't want to have a to get a new GCN...

VioletSkye
Sep 3, 2005, 04:00 PM
One thing you can try is to set the GC on its side (make sure you don't just lay it down on something because you will block the airflow vents) and try starting the game. If you have 2 small blocks of wood or anything really that you can place on either side to rest the GC on when you put it on its side, that would be best. That way you aren't blocking the vent and it will have at least a few inches of airspace for the vent. Hope that made sense lol. Anyway try that and see if it loads the game. I had to do that with my old PS1 for awhile because it wouldn't spin disks on its own and it played flawlessly for another year or so http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-09-03 14:01 ]</font>

DarkAceBlade
Sep 3, 2005, 04:07 PM
Hmmm, I've never heard of this trick... currently I have my GCN on a make-shift sort of shelf I made and it has a grid pattern of wire crossbars to support, which would allow more than enough ventilation if I were to place the GCN on its side. I'll have to give it a try, thank you! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif