PDA

View Full Version : Is it that hard to shut up!?

Hrigg
Sep 4, 2005, 06:29 PM
Pretty simple rant.

Today, we went to my Uncle's log cabin house in the woods. Normally it is very peaceful there, quiet, and a good place to sit back and relax, which is what I planned. Little did I know there would be my annoying little 6 year old cousin there, who literally can't sit still for longer than 10 seconds.

Let's put it this way, I expected to sit back there, relax, eat some burgers, and maybe take a nap. With him there, even with headphones turned up full, I could still here him. >_>

I've been there, since 8 AM (CT) in the morning, and arrived back at my house at 6 PM (CT). That's 10 hours with this annoyance, and I now have arguably the worst headache I've ever had.

*sigh*

Uncle_bob
Sep 4, 2005, 06:37 PM
Parents don't punish their kids for anything anymore, so that's why many kids are always running around while bitching, crying, and yelling at the top of their lungs.

You should tell his parents to do something. If they don't, do it for them.

InfinityXXX
Sep 4, 2005, 06:39 PM
Awww, I'm sorry. I know how it is to have your R&R ruined.http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-09-04 16:39 ]</font>

navci
Sep 4, 2005, 06:43 PM
If you are 6, yes, it is very hard to shut up.
Don't tell me you were the little perfect gentleman who listens to everything your parents said and don't move and don't talk when you're 6.

Sorry your time isn't as quiet as you wanted it to be. When you're 6, you want to talk about everything. It amuses you.

Hrigg
Sep 4, 2005, 08:29 PM
On 2005-09-04 16:43, navinator wrote:
Don't tell me you were the little perfect gentleman who listens to everything your parents said and don't move and don't talk when you're 6.

Sorry your time isn't as quiet as you wanted it to be. When you're 6, you want to talk about everything. It amuses you.

Yes, I understand that, but still. His parents do a single thing about it. They just smiled.

Parents need more control over their kids. *sigh*

navci
Sep 4, 2005, 10:30 PM
On 2005-09-04 18:29, Hrigg wrote:
Yes, I understand that, but still. His parents do a single thing about it. They just smiled.

Parents need more control over their kids. *sigh*

Unless he is screaming profanities and being rude, I don't see why the parents need to stop him. I grew up having my parents yell at me whenever I ask an extra question, I don't see how that was benefitial to my growth. Kids are supposed to be noisy and chatty.

You can go elsewhere to avoid the noise if it bugs you. Or you can simply tune it out.

ABDUR101
Sep 4, 2005, 10:47 PM
Thats the luck of the draw with kids, trust me, I have two neices and five nephews. I agree that it can grate your nerves when you're trying to relax, or sleep, or do anything aside from pay attention to them.

But, not the parents fault, and not the kid's fault for just being chatty.

Now had he been there, swearing you up one side and down the other, and just hollaring and blabbing to purposely annoy you, then yeah, parents should have stepped in.

Granted, best that you vented about it rather than spazzed out on the kid or the parents.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Sep 5, 2005, 12:39 AM
I don't know, I learned to shut up at the age of 6. My parents left me and my sisters with a family member who was a bad babysitter. She'd beat us just for some wrong doing then keep hitting us until we stopped crying.

InfinityXXX
Sep 5, 2005, 08:50 AM
I was always quiet growing up as a kid. I just didn't feel like talking up until like 4th grade. My mom thought something was wrong with me.

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2005, 01:35 PM
On 2005-09-04 22:39, ForceOfBrokenGlass wrote:
I don't know, I learned to shut up at the age of 6. My parents left me and my sisters with a family member who was a bad babysitter. She'd beat us just for some wrong doing then keep hitting us until we stopped crying.

Not that thats normal by any standard.

Granted, I don't exactly remember much of my earlier childhood, it's all a mismatch of blurred memories. My earliest recollection is of shutting the cat's tail in the front door, so I beleive I was a toddler then. I honestly can't say what I was like at age 6, but I can imagine I was just as annoying, bratty and as big of a pain in the ass as to my family, as my family's kid's can be. =]

The circle continues at any rate.

REJ-
Sep 5, 2005, 03:27 PM
I was quiet and shut up when I was 6, I was always playing games, watching TV, or occupied in some way back then. I only spoke when someone said something to me. So it 's possible for 6 year olds to shut up.

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2005, 03:39 PM
On 2005-09-05 13:27, REJ- wrote:
I was quiet and shut up when I was 6, I was always playing games, watching TV, or occupied in some way back then. I only spoke when someone said something to me. So it 's possible for 6 year olds to shut up.

Obviously, but some kids are just chatter-boxes. Thats their personality.

I grew up keeping to myself, playing games and by myself, my entire childhood. But thats just because I liked keeping to myself and wasn't very outgoing. Some kids, are very outgoing, even younger than six.

Feelmirath
Sep 8, 2005, 11:58 AM

Heh, aparrantly i used to be a really annoying bastard until i started school (about 5 then)...
Lolz, i showed them i wasn't going into british home stores >=D

GreenArcher
Sep 19, 2005, 08:19 PM
...last time my cousins and family came to visit my speaker system broke from having it thrown at me multiple times..

Kizaragu
Sep 20, 2005, 02:44 PM
I have the exact same problem with my 19 year old sister.
Apart from being very undiplomatic; She'll blabber relentlessly and in detail, without being provoked, about people you've never met and topics you have no interest in.
You know Grandpa Abe Simpson and his stories that never seem to ever go anywhere? That's MY SISTER.

For example: It can be 6.30am on the college bus and she'll talk about anything and everything going on in her life, despite the fact that your eyes are closed and pretending to sleep. I've even bluntly told her to shut up, but she'll make a lame jab like "Someone's in a bad mood" and continue.
What's worse is, she'll deliberately 'park' herself between me and my girlfriend, forcing us to listen to her and only her.

I know exactly how you feel. But mine's an adult.
She can't take a hint, direct or otherwise.

REJ-
Sep 20, 2005, 07:45 PM
I would be completely fine with someone like that, unless they were related to me. Then I wouldn't know what to do.