PDA

View Full Version : nVidia (or other) equivalent? (for DVD playback/still captur

Curiosity
Sep 5, 2005, 06:21 PM
Is there an nVidia equivalent, or possibly another app (the less expensive the better), that offers the same or similar functionality to this?

http://www.nether-realm.com/img/ati.jpg
Sorry about the size if it's too big for some people. I'm always a bit hesitant to directly link images like this... I'll try some kind of thumbnail or something in the future.

What this is, for those that don't recognize it, is the DVD Player (A) (for lack of a better thing to call it since I don't know the "official" name) in ATI's Multimedia Center thing. Apparently other (currently installed) options for the DVD movie file type are RealOne Player and Windows Media Player (from the "What do you want Windows to do?" dialog that opens when a DVD is inserted into the drive). I'm actually not entirely sure how to "link" it to this particular player, but that's not something I'm currently worried about so therefore not an issue to discuss.

The functionality that I'm looking for is a (using ATI's names) Still Capture (B) ability (ability to take multiple stills required, which this does nicely), and potentially a Stills Gallery (C) (this is extremely handy).

I tried using both the other options listed (RealOne Player/Windows Media Player), but neither had (that I saw) a way to take stills. Although I suppose running it full screen then using Print Screen could potentially work, if a bit clunky, and possibly limited to only one at a time.

If what I'm currently using is my "best" option, then what would be the best (or maybe easiest?) way to get images taken this way to a different computer on the network (well wireless extension of this network anyway)? Main reason for asking this in the first place is because the "different" computer I'm referring to is/will be nVidia-based and therefore not have this particular app.

Edit: Title edited for little more clarity (hopefully).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2005-09-06 00:09 ]</font>

Ryna
Sep 7, 2005, 10:10 AM
I know WinDVD has the capability to capture stills from AVI/DVD streams. However, I don't think it has the gallery feature.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
On 2005-09-07 08:10, Ryna wrote:
I know WinDVD has the capability to capture stills from AVI/DVD streams. However, I don't think it has the gallery feature.

Do you by chance use WinDVD? I've now had a chance to look into it, along with the DivX Player, and try them out. DivX Player doesn't, from what I could tell have the ability to capture stills (not that anyone cares). WinDVD looks like a pretty good program, and it actually does have a gallery of sorts similar to ATI's thing, called the "Scene Window" (A, the bottom thumbnail is what was actually in the playback window at the time and the two buttons show up when it's paused for frame by frame).

http://www.nether-realm.com/img/windvd.jpg

I do have at least one gripe with the program however. Although it may be more of an annoyance (at least for now), and it's possible that I may have missed an option somewhere or something, but it seems to lack on-screen controls. Only way to do stuff like stop, pause, etc, is to right click and use the menu. On-screen controls would be nice though.

Ryna
Sep 12, 2005, 05:59 PM
On 2005-09-12 11:23, Curiosity wrote:
Do you by chance use WinDVD?

Actually, I use Cyberlink PowerDVD. It has the ability to capture stills and features on-screen controls.

Curiosity
Sep 13, 2005, 01:31 AM
On 2005-09-12 15:59, Ryna wrote:
Actually, I use Cyberlink PowerDVD. It has the ability to capture stills and features on-screen controls.

Well I downloaded and installed the trial for PowerDVD to try out. Of course after I installed the trial version, I realized PowerDVD was already installed on my system... >__< I do kinda like it however, although I do miss the gallery type thing. But that's only a minor thing. I am a bit miffed that I didn't realize it was already installed, and I can't easily backstep to pre-trial installation w/out hosing a lot of other stuff.

Well anyway at least now I've got some ideas for alternatives, I'll just have to decide on what to use. Thanks for the help and info.

Ryna
Sep 13, 2005, 06:21 AM
On 2005-09-12 23:31, Curiosity wrote:
Well I downloaded and installed the trial for PowerDVD to try out. Of course after I installed the trial version, I realized PowerDVD was already installed on my system... >__< I do kinda like it however, although I do miss the gallery type thing. But that's only a minor thing. I am a bit miffed that I didn't realize it was already installed, and I can't easily backstep to pre-trial installation w/out hosing a lot of other stuff.

If you have Windows XP, you maybe able to do a System Restore to a System Point from a couple of days ago. That may wipe out the new PowerDVD installation.

Curiosity
Sep 14, 2005, 11:24 AM
On 2005-09-13 04:21, Ryna wrote:
If you have Windows XP, you maybe able to do a System Restore to a System Point from a couple of days ago. That may wipe out the new PowerDVD installation.

Aye, that it would, and I considered it. But unfortunately it would also wipe out some other stuff in the process that I don't want removed. :/ It's just another case of me forgetting to create a Restore Point before I install something (something I really need to work on remembering to do)... -__-; I dunno, there may be a chance that it's on something that originally came with the computer, but I'm not entirely sure. Well as I said though, I'm a bit miffed, but I guess not entirely pissed. Only real reason is because as far as this computer goes it was never intended to replace the ATI thing. It is however, too bad I accidentally "crippled" an already existing and functional program though. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

watashiwa
Sep 14, 2005, 11:29 AM
PowerDVD is actually superior to WinDVD to me for one feature, true deinterlacing.

It's especially apparent when you watch cartoon DVDs like Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Sealab which feature very smooth panning. Use the pixel adaptive deinterlacing feature and the pans will be just as smooth as you see on TV and not "blend deinterlaced" down to 29.97/30fps