PDA

View Full Version : My Farewell to the PSO Community (Please Read)

LastUtopiaDC
Feb 23, 2001, 12:05 AM
Yes, it's LastUtopia. Computer is broken again....

This will be kind of long, but I would appreciate it if everyone read it, as it is likely the last thing you will ever hear from me.

Tonight, I was playing in the Ruins as my level 45 HUmar. When I left the game, my memory card slipped out of the controller during the saving process. It asked me to put in the card you used to start. I did, but it still wouldn't let me save. Finally, I had to exit without saving, and my charater was lost.

So, I must say that it would take me weeks to regain all that I had on my beloved character, which, in dreadful irony, I was going to back up once I left the game. The thing is, I'm not sure that I have the desire or drive to do it all again. There is little that I haven't seen or done, or both. Therefore, I have made the decision to quit PSO forever. I don't want to do it and could probably be convinced otherwise but for now, it's over. I haven't been here long so some of you don't know me, but to those who do, I'm very sorry that I'm doing this. If I feel better about this tomorrow, I'll probably create a new character, or maybe go with the second Last Utopia I made. If I do, I'll always be in Puck 9 until I get everyone's cards. Stop by and help me out so i can compete with you again...if not...well...it's over. Even if I don't decide to continue, I will show up for Sunday's meeting to say goodbye to everyone in-game.

Bman
Feb 23, 2001, 12:10 AM
At this point, I would like to extend my middle finger in the general direction of Sonic Team.

Way to go, guys. Your incompetent programmers have started to drive away players.

I don't blame you for leaving, LastUtopia. I would do the same.

Ratsmack
Feb 23, 2001, 12:12 AM
Nooooooooooooooo! Come on, I got some nice stuff I can give you if you want some help to get back to near what you were at. I can give you a photon claw...best I got, and I got some armors and shields and money I can give you. Don't leave!! Come on, come on, don't quit!!

LastUtopiaDC
Feb 23, 2001, 12:15 AM
I just don't think I can do it all again...I'm going onto Puck 9 now as my other LastUtopia, if anyone wants to join me...

Arcadean
Feb 23, 2001, 12:16 AM
I personally think getting to 100 is better than being 100, anyone else think so? btw I lost my level 55 HUmar also to a corrupted save so I feel your pain.

Josh
Feb 23, 2001, 12:26 AM
NOOO! Don't leave Utopia! When did this happen? I just played with you a little while ago.

Maverick
Feb 23, 2001, 12:31 AM
Sucks. The VMU slip-out happened to me once and since then it's been duct taped into the controller. I'm telling ya a few slabs of duct tape will solve all these problems. Still, sorry to see ya go.

Utherpendrgn
Feb 23, 2001, 12:34 AM
To Bman-
I don't think Sonic Team's programmers are exactly responsible for losing characters if the VMU is disconnected. In case you haven't noticed, that happens to EVERY game on EVERY system involving a memory card, no exceptions. That's why all of those games have a warning that you shouldn't remove the memory card while saving, since it corrupts the save data. Call off your wolves, BMan! Sonic Team kicks ass!!

LastUtopiaDC
Feb 23, 2001, 12:44 AM
Josh, this happened as I was leaving the game I played with you. I still can't believe it...

Josh
Feb 23, 2001, 01:06 AM
On 2001-02-22 21:44, LastUtopiaDC wrote:
Josh, this happened as I was leaving the game I played with you. I still can't believe it...

awww, man. That sucks. Well, at least you were looking for a new weapon anyways. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif If I were you, I'd play again and try out a different class. Or you could play HUmar again now that you know more about them. You'd survive better in the early parts of the game. Don't leave though, bro.

Mod note: Edited to fix the table. No text in the post has been changed. -Ambrai

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ambrai on 2001-02-23 03:23 ]</font>

LastUtopiaDC
Feb 23, 2001, 01:21 AM
I really wasn't expecting this. I would like to thank everyone for their support, and yes, I think I'll stay. It'll take a while, but I'll try to get back up there...
Actually this reminds me of something that happened about a year ago. I was, at the time, deeply involved with Final Fantasy VII. However, my PlayStation had a few problems and often wouldn't start the game. I was almost through the whole thing, but I had to start all over because of my PSX's problems and the fact that I had neglected to level all but 3 characters. So, I started over with the PC version and played through everything again, because my love of the game outdid the tedium of doing it all over again. And I love PSO, so it's entirely possible that this won't be as hard as I thought, especially with help from all you guys, so thanks again. I will be playing tomorrow and most of the weekend as another character that looks just like my old Last Utopia. His name: Last Utopia. Slightly taller with darker blue hair. See you on Puck 9, and thank you once more...if no one had cared, I'd be gone now.

Bman
Feb 23, 2001, 01:42 AM
To Bman-
I don't think Sonic Team's programmers are exactly responsible for losing characters if the VMU is disconnected. In case you haven't noticed, that happens to EVERY game on EVERY system involving a memory card, no exceptions. That's why all of those games have a warning that you shouldn't remove the memory card while saving, since it corrupts the save data. Call off your wolves, BMan! Sonic Team kicks ass!!

You misspelled "sucks ass".

The programmers ARE responsible for the file being lost. Think about this. A player has spent literally hundreds of hours building his character, and the game can't even be bothered to make sure his saved game is OK?

BULLSHIT.

The user's data is sacred. No code should ever violate that principle. Those retards on Sonic Team thought that futzing with the memory cards would stop cheating. Well, guess what? People are cheating anyway, and now the anti-cheating measures are punishing honest players!

Can you possibly imagine a worse behavior for a game? At least if the game crashed all the time, people wouldn't spend hundreds of hours with it, so they wouldn't be upset if they lost anything.

After the file is saved, the game should check that it was saved OK. If the file is corrupted, it should try to save it again. If the memory card is missing, the game should tell the user "Hey, put that back!" If the memory card is now broken because of the sudden disconnect, the game should say "Try another one."

It is the responsibility of the game to do absolutely whatever is necessary to protect the player's data.

This is entirely possible, and the programmer at Sonic Team who is responsible for PSO's horrendously flaky saving should be sacked. I write memory card code for console games; I think I know what I'm talking about here.

diospadre
Feb 23, 2001, 01:57 AM
On 2001-02-22 21:16, Arcadean wrote:
I personally think getting to 100 is better than being 100, anyone else think so?

true, once i get to level 100 im moving it to page 4 of my 4x card and starting a new character, only bringing out the old to showboat.

Utherpendrgn
Feb 23, 2001, 02:02 AM
It is true that I do not write code for memory cards, but it is a fact that PSO is not the only game with this affliction. This happened to me on NBA 2K, a game in which I played 79 games out of the season. The memory card popped out, and I lost my data. This is a fact of video games, and if precautions such as duct taping your memory card to the controller/slot, so be it. You ungreatful bastard! You have the gall to insault the very people to whom you owe countless hours of gaming fun! For shame BMan. The good people of Sonic team are not here to fulfil your every want and desire, that is your mother's job. If you really feel so bent out of shape about a simple fact of video gaming, you might want to vent it somewhere else. Take a walk. Ride a bike. Punch a pillow. You'll feel better.

Lenneth
Feb 23, 2001, 02:09 AM
Last... I'm not sure if you've still got my card or not, but when I am online I am on Puck 9. I'll look for you.

I also might suggest posting what type of character you'll be playing this time, so we can all help you through this crisis with the right eq. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Pax, Lenneth

iNiGHTS
Feb 23, 2001, 02:32 AM
You misspelled "sucks ass".

The programmers ARE responsible for the file being lost. Think about this. A player has spent literally hundreds of hours building his character, and the game can't even be bothered to make sure his saved game is OK?

BULLSHIT.

The user's data is sacred. No code should ever violate that principle. Those retards on Sonic Team thought that futzing with the memory cards would stop cheating. Well, guess what? People are cheating anyway, and now the anti-cheating measures are punishing honest players!

Can you possibly imagine a worse behavior for a game? At least if the game crashed all the time, people wouldn't spend hundreds of hours with it, so they wouldn't be upset if they lost anything.

After the file is saved, the game should check that it was saved OK. If the file is corrupted, it should try to save it again. If the memory card is missing, the game should tell the user "Hey, put that back!" If the memory card is now broken because of the sudden disconnect, the game should say "Try another one."

It is the responsibility of the game to do absolutely whatever is necessary to protect the player's data.

This is entirely possible, and the programmer at Sonic Team who is responsible for PSO's horrendously flaky saving should be sacked. I write memory card code for console games; I think I know what I'm talking about here.

BMan, DO you think you are perfect? Well stop dreaming. Nothing is perfect and I have to agree with Jherek217 sonic team is not here to do everything for you. If you are so good write your own pso and make the save files yourself. Did you ever get your memory card pop out and lose anything? If you did well blame it on your clumsiness. Why would the dumb card fall out in the first place? I never got one poped out and I have droped my controllers and threw them. The people that gets their memory card popping out probably got bad luck, what does it have to do with sonic team? Yeah they didn't write a perfect game for your $50. And if you hate this game so much, quit and sell it or something. Very immature to complain about your own faults and what is NOT so perfect.

No GAME is perfect, in fact no one is perfect.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: iNiGHTS on 2001-02-22 23:36 ]</font>

Bman
Feb 23, 2001, 02:46 AM
I can't believe I'm actually getting into an argument over whether or not it's OK for PSO to wantonly destroy players' games.

It is true that I do not write code for memory cards

That much is plainly obvious.

...but it is a fact that PSO is not the only game with this affliction. This happened to me on NBA 2K, a game in which I played 79 games out of the season. The memory card popped out, and I lost my data.

NBA 2K has nothing to do with this. How much other games suck is entirely irrelevant. It is not OK for PSO to lose saved games as easily as it does; in the case of a game which people will spend days playing, it is entirely unacceptable.

This is a fact of video games

No it isn't, and you demonstrate your ignorance of console game architecture by stating that it is.

Corrupted save games of this sort are no more a "fact" of video games than bad graphics. Some games have bad graphics, some don't. Some games know how to save properly, some don't. It's only a matter of code.

PSO does not save games properly, and there is absolutely nobody to blame but Sonic Team. If you could see past your hero-worship for them, you'd understand that.

The good people of Sonic team are not here to fulfil your every want and desire, that is your mother's job.

A statement reflecting a very old, tired debate tactic that simply illustrates your defensiveness and lack of a real grasp of the concepts involved. I give it a "3" (out of 10^23) on the troll scale.

Sonic Team is supposed to be building entertaining games. I don't consider losing stuff to crappy programming to be very entertaining. Most people don't. I am not an apologist for products with glaring fundamental flaws, and PSO has its share.

You ungreatful bastard! You have the gall to insault the very people to whom you owe countless hours of gaming fun!

Yes, I do. Just because I enjoy parts of PSO doesn't mean that I forfeit the right to criticize Sonic Team for their fatal, glaring blunders.

And the word is "ungrateful".

rzareckta
Feb 23, 2001, 02:54 AM
the same thing happend to me, i was a lvl 58 and i was not sure if i was going to play anymore, but i have been playing marathon style ever since trying to regain what i once had. i miss my brave knuckles. and i never would have thought id say this but. i miss my DB's Saber too.

iNiGHTS
Feb 23, 2001, 03:01 AM
Okay BMan I assume you have nothing against what i have said yet. But from your reaction to sonic team's flaws it seems like you don't understand that NOTHING *I repeat* NOTHING is perfect.
If you write codes, may I ask for whom do you work for? You should not complain about something that was never said to be perfect about its flaws. I do not know your age and I am not old, I may be wrong but when i saw that post i only see you as a 14-16 year old person at most, how can you blame EVERYTHING *INCLUDING* your clumsiness on sonic team?
Who told you to blame others?
Did you ever learn that you shouldn't blame others?
Sonic Team NEVER said "PSO is PERFECT. GET IT YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT~!" I hope you understand that my only point I am trying to make is that NOTHING is perfect, EVERYTHING has its flaws.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: iNiGHTS on 2001-02-23 00:04 ]</font>

Utherpendrgn
Feb 23, 2001, 03:20 AM
Ok. I have tried to restrain myself, but I cannot anymore. I have been a video gamer for 12 years of my life. I've been playing since I was 4 years old. I think I know a little bit about the "Architecture of gaming." I bet if you pulled your memory card out of ANY GAME THAT REQUIRED A SAVE WITH A CARD while it was saving, you would lose your data. This is because you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THIS. The game states it explicitly during the saving process that you aren't supposed to remove the card, whether it "slips out" or not. This is by no stretch of the imagination the fault of Sonic Team. In fact, if one were to sue Sonic Team over the loss of a character in PSO because "The card slipped out even though VMUs are anchored to the controller and don't just slip out," they would lose before the case evn started. And the NBA 2K save does matter, because it is the EXACT SAME SITUATION, except with a different game, genre, etc. I spent damn near 100 hours on that game, which makes it no different from PSO in that respect. Just because a game is an RPG, that doesn't give it some sort of special privilege that it has to save with more accuracy than sports games. I spent days playing NBA 2K. There is absolutely no difference between the two.

By saying "Corrupted save games of this sort are no more a "fact" of video games than bad graphics. Some games have bad graphics, some don't. Some games know how to save properly, some don't. It's only a matter of code," you're implying that PSO cannot save anything properly. I have never lost a character, and have been BSOD'd four times. I kept a cool head and didn't turn off my Dreamcast. It is very easy to not lose your character, and the BSOD is more of the fault of SegaNet than the programmers of Phantasy Star Online. You're being irrational to the point of pointing out minor spelling mistakes to make you look superior. That's an even older debate trick by someone who realizes that their opponent makes VALID points and needs some leverage in the arguement. Trust me, it didn't work.

To sum up, you're blaming a company on human error for a problem that is stated specifically in both the game and the manual. This is a DIRECT QUOTE from the manual, on page 4, under the heading of SAVING:
"Never attempt to turn OFF the Dreamcast power, REMOVE THE MEMORY CARD or disconnect the controller while saving. Also, the data may not save correctly if the memory card is removed/re-inserted during gameplay."
Sonic Team knows that the file can be lost, and they tell you how it happens. They have done all they can to make a game as flawless as possible, and last time I checked, human error is not the fault of the programmers, but actually humans.

GreyMouser
Feb 23, 2001, 03:24 AM
Ah well BMan, as much as you'd like to think so, your argument is not a very strong one. Why may I ask ARE you pouring hours upon hours into this game? I am just as pasty faced as the next guy but there is an outside world http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif
Furthermore every competent gamer backs up saved games, it's just simple logic. If you dont want to lose something of importance, back it up. And I do believe "Gall" is an appropriate word. You're taking a situation that could have been prevented, by you I might add, and you are turning your frustrations on the makers of the video game. It is NOT their fault. There has never been a game completely without bugs, THAT is a fact of gaming. So instead of attacking these people I think it best for you to put the blame where most of it belongs.
And perhaps seek some anger management, no?

...and then did Elric leave Jharkor in pursuit of a certain sorcerer who had, so Elric claimed, caused him some inconvenience...
-Chronicle of the Black Sword

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: GreyMouser on 2001-02-23 00:26 ]</font>

Omegaxboy
Feb 23, 2001, 04:15 AM
are you guys using Sega memory card??? cus even if I want to.....I can't pull it out....

Bman
Feb 23, 2001, 04:17 AM
Sigh.

I'm not going to argue every individual point with three people now posting massive amounts of text I completely disagree with and, in several cases, know for a fact to be flat out wrong.

The bottom line is this: In circumstances where PSO is quite capable of protecting the player's game, it is not doing that. Whether the user is at fault or not (sorry, even I can't control power outages or crashes), the game could do a far better job but isn't even trying. Pulling out the memory card isn't a crime. It's not an unrecoverable error. Punishing the user for that is cruel and unnecessary.

What irks me most about this is that I know the code to fix many of the PSO save problems is not that difficult. It could probably be written by one person in a week. Remember, we're all on the same side here. Nobody wants to lose their saved games. The difference is that you don't think the situation can be improved; I know it can.

Obviously, nothing is perfect. Our game (http://www.solworks.com/) is not perfect. In fact, if you read the reviews, you'll find that it's not even close. But as users, it is our right to demand perfection. It may be unrealistic to expect it, but progress only comes through critical examination of the failures of existing products.

For the record, I have NOT lost anything in PSO to date. So sorry to disappoint. I am busting Sonic Team's balls on principle. Just because Sonic Team severely screwed up things in PSO doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game.

We are making no progress on this discussion, so I'm going to stop here. Take your parting shots as you feel is necessary.

If you genuinely believe I'm just talking out of my ass and blaming Sonic Team unnecessarily, please read with an open mind "The Inmates are Running the Asylum" by Alan Cooper (http://www.cooper.com/). It will change the way you view software.

For other recommendations or to continue discussing this, feel free to ICQ me.

diospadre
Feb 23, 2001, 04:45 AM
the problem with pso's saving is that its such an amazing bitch. if i were playing sonic and the vmu popped out, i would say "damn there goes 8 seconds of my life", pop it back in and save. no problem. worst case scenario, id have to save it on a different card. but with pso, nooooo we have to make sure you can never use your character again if you make one little mistake or if the server decides to be an evil ass. god forbid we have more del saber parts on the servers.

Ambrai
Feb 23, 2001, 06:13 AM
LU I will spent the entire weekend powerling the @#$% out of you in the ruins and give you what gear I have. It's always hard to lose good people like yourself.

It wont take very long to get back up when being powerlvd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Lanzer
Feb 23, 2001, 06:59 AM
Regarding the loss of the save game, I'm sure everyone will love to help out. Imagine a low level character with a high level mag, transparent shield, and few God bands, plus a million meseta. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif Hey, it's not so bad afterall, we all start fresh when we max out an old character anyways.

Hope to see you on Sunday. I'll give you a few of my God/arm,power,mind, whatever.

Regarding the save game debate. I really wonder why it's so much of an issue. It doesn't take much to know that the game simply *cannot* allow you to save the game
data twice, or perform any recovery where you plug the VMU back in and it lets you save again... If it ever does, you can potentially have two characters with twice the weapons. You can then go on-line and sell/give all your rare items away on your extra save game. The game simply cannot allow that to happen. (at least easily) The inability to repeat save is intentional, no doubt. Though They really could consider a backup function where you can back up your character with no items attached. That way when a disaster happens you would still have your high level character, stripped naked. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

LastUtopiaDC
Feb 23, 2001, 10:56 AM
I'll be in Puck 9 most of today and over the weekend. My new character looks exactly the same as my old one, and keeps the name Last Utopia.

Neinth
Feb 23, 2001, 01:40 PM
I agree with Bman. If you are a coder you know that such a high data loss rate is unacceptable.
I can see how writing and checking for a failed save could be abused to duplicate a save but there are ways around this.
The argument that nothing is perfect is completely invalid. "Well we lost another space shuttle because the fuel tanks exploded...oh well, nothing is perfect" No. Why must people get so wrapped up in their anger when they post.
The point that Bman was making is that it could be done better and therefore it should be done better. If you don't identify a problem how can it be fixed in the future?

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Neinth on 2001-02-23 10:41 ]</font>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Neinth on 2001-02-23 10:42 ]</font>

iNiGHTS
Feb 23, 2001, 01:58 PM
On 2001-02-23 10:40, Neinth wrote:
I agree with Bman. If you are a coder you know that such a high data loss rate is unacceptable.
I can see how writing and checking for a failed save could be abused to duplicate a save but there are ways around this.
The argument that nothing is perfect is completely invalid. "Well we lost another space shuttle because the fuel tanks exploded...oh well, nothing is perfect" No. Why must people get so wrapped up in their anger when they post.
The point that Bman was making is that it could be done better and therefore it should be done better. If you don't identify a problem how can it be fixed in the future?

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Neinth on 2001-02-23 10:41 ]</font>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Neinth on 2001-02-23 10:42 ]</font>

So you are claiming you are god?

Nothing is perfect is invalid?

This is not from anger but from fact. You can swear all you want about perfection but there is none.

Now IF you HAVE god like inteligence NAME one game that is totally bug free, glitch free, and no minor clippings or annoyance.

I DARE YOU.

NAME ANYTHING that is perfect... For real think about it.

Unless you are on spoil brat you WILL understand that nothing is perfect and everyone tried their best.

YES sonic team made a mistake.

DO you think they thought that you WOULD have poped out the VMU? They should have. Perhaps you can be more careful?

I am now only asking you... IS it sonic teams fault that you are clumsy and poped out your vmu?

I am not angry, I know why you people think like that. Everyone love to blame but I can only blame myself. Learn to take responsibilities and stop being so immature about your faults. I am pretty sure sonic team understand that they made a mistake.

If god made me... He is pathetic...
http://www.san-x.co.jp/chara/suama/images/tare04.gif

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: iNiGHTS on 2001-02-23 11:02 ]</font>

Neinth
Feb 23, 2001, 03:05 PM
Very well, since I happen to be bored at work I will respond.
I'll start simple.
Did I claim to be a god?
Did I claim to be perfect?
Did I claim PSO saving should be programmed perfect?
Did I claim anything should be perfect?
Since I never made such declarations I need not bother defending something I didn't say. Rather I would suggest that I was interpreted incorrectly.
The point, since it obviously became too muddled to see is that the method for saving could be better. Not perfect but better.

Moving on...
"IS it sonic teams fault that you are clumsy and poped out your vmu?"
This is not about fault it's about common scenerios. If something happens a lot then you plan for it and find a way to deal with it. The fact is that controllers becoming unplugged and VMUs poping out are uncommon events but not rare enough to ignore. Thus gentle error handling should occur rather than a result of total data loss.

And since I suppose I must:
I am /perfectly/ content that I haven't lost any data via VMU popout. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

oh yeah forgot to mention:

"I am not angry,"
My bad, using CAPS too leisurely is often viewed as yelling.

"I know why you people think like that. Everyone love to blame but I can only blame myself. Learn to take responsibilities and stop being so immature about your faults."
You are way off here. You don't know why I support my position which is clear from your inaccurate "reading" of me. I laugh at your responsibility/immature banter. Distinction between identifying ways to make things better for everyone and "passing the buck" should be simple.

PS - Heh, flame wars are fun when you are bored. If this gets too annoying for anyone let me know http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Neinth on 2001-02-23 12:58 ]</font>

Tenshi-Chan
Feb 23, 2001, 04:17 PM
SONIC TEAM SUCKS! I just unplugged my Dreamcast in the middle of saving a character while hitting it with a bat and peeing on the laser eye and the DAMN THING DIDN'T SAVE!!!
And I DO know a perfect game. Rock, paper, scissors. ALways works.

iNiGHTS
Feb 23, 2001, 04:50 PM
I will not bother to argue anymore. Yes I used caps but only to make words stand out. I do not care anymore, but i just don't understand how you can get a VMU to pop out in the first place? This is not the right area to make a debate. Btw Yes I know there is a way to make font bold and colored, lets just say i forgot... unless you want to flame about that too.

Accusing me of being angry? Hahah, you are funny.

Anyway rock paper scissor is not perfect when you think about it. if you throw a rock hard enough it can hit through a paper, well only in real life... but forget that, people can be slightly slower and cheat when you don't notice so much.

If god made me... He is pathetic...
http://www.san-x.co.jp/chara/suama/images/tare04.gif

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: iNiGHTS on 2001-02-23 13:54 ]</font>

Xaken
Feb 23, 2001, 05:02 PM
Personally I think the Sonic Team programmers made a grave error in sacrificing stability in favor of security. With time, any game will be broken, even one coded by GOD. It's ok to make it hard, but not when it hurts the game as a whole.

Loss of data in PSO is far to frequent to just "let it slide". Most games, if you just pull out the card after loading, you should be safe from loosing your progress up to that point... and the fact that you can only save in PSO when you leave the game is just bad data management IMO. I was happier with Diablo's method of just automatically saving every few minutes. Sure data loss still happened, but not at anything near the level of PSO.

Oh well, I'm done bitching.

Bavmorda
Feb 23, 2001, 08:05 PM
Wow. Quite the heated discussion. Here's my take; feel free to comment on it:

In any design, whether it be of a software or hardware nature, the designer always needs to consider plausible "what if" scenarios. With respect to this discussion, the designer has to ask himself, "What if the VMU disconnects accidentally (i.e., the player does not grasp the VMU and pull it out; Sonic Team's on-screen message regarding not disconnecting the VMU while the game is saving covers intentional removal of the VMU) during saving?"

In order to address this, the designer then has to ask himself, "How likely is it that the VMU will accidentally disconnect itself from the controller?" Assuming that the controller was designed to handle a lot of physical abuse (aren't they all?), it's feasible that the VMU could accidentally disconnect during normal (as defined by the design specs for the controller) use since the VMU does not have a positive latching system (like the jump packs).

Therefore, it's not unreasonable to expect games for the DC to safeguard against lost data in the event of accidental VMU disconnection during saving. When designing, you always assume the user's an idiot; designing for geniuses would be a breeze.

Unfortunately, one can't predict every user's actions; one can only evaluate "what ifs" within the software's/hardware's design parameters. (I've you've ever had to design hardware to meet S2-93 or CE compliance, you'll understand what I'm talking about.)

- Bavmorda, Electrical Engineer UNextraodinaire

"In God we trust; all others require data."

Ratsmack
Feb 23, 2001, 08:57 PM
First of all, concerning the friggin' TOPIC of this post, yay Utopia! I'll be coming on soon as my level 8 Force. As for what Bman said, sorry folks, I'm gonna have to agree with him...ON CERTAIN POINTS. First off, Bman, you really should have used such a harsh curse at Sega, because people who have Dreamcast obviously either like Sega or are indifferent. Mostly they like it. Personally, I've never really liked Sega, they messed up quite a few things (Sega CD, 32X). Well, Dreamcast seems to be a lift out of the dreary Sega landscape. I really like my Dreamcast. But he is right, these memory card measures were put in to stop cheaters...and, they're not. That's all there is to it! Cheaters are still cheating, and this anti-cheating mechanism has FAILED. You CANNOT dispute that. Right now, it seems that Sega implemented an ineffective system that was shockingly dangerous should you not treat your VMU with love and tenderness TO THE EXTREME, as well as keeping the serial number and access code. Still, I'm not going to bash Sega, because I don't feel the need to offend anyone with any anti-Sega ideas I hold. I'm just stating a fact, the anti-cheating system has failed. As a closing, YAY again, Utopia! Hope to see you in game!

Mindblade
Feb 23, 2001, 09:09 PM
Oh, come on. The little pep talk I gave you wasen't enough? Please don't leave! Like I said, if you left, I wou;ld have oone less friend to play with and you would have one(and more) less friend overall. Hmmm, I guess it's your disesion and I can't change your mind. Goodbye to you, my friend! Goodbye!

Mindblade
Feb 23, 2001, 09:16 PM
*Notices he siad he will stay for a little longer*

Whoops, I guess my in-game pep-talk did help a bit. Anyway, good. I think if you stay a bit longer, a play some more gamees, you will decide to stay permently. Cool.

iNiGHTS
Feb 23, 2001, 09:30 PM
Word of opinion. I am not here to offend anyone. Why are you people complaining here? Why not send mail to sonic team and tell them to remake the game, and express about what you feel about the game, instead of unloading your ''words of wisdom'' here. I believe if enough demand S.T. will make something that matches your needs.

L.U., you are a good gamer, I am happy to hear that you are staying. I don't play online, but when I do, I hope to play with some of the good people here.

Tynaut
Feb 23, 2001, 09:56 PM
Wow. There are some real bright cookies around here. You guys should take note of what Bman's talking about, he's quite correct.

In an online game you have to be more careful about character saving than almost any other issue. I'm sure a lot of you, no matter how much you're disagreeing with Bman, have lost goods because the only save point is when you quit. That's sloppy. That's sloppy for an offline RPG.

Plus, most of you have no pull against the word of a console programmer. Understand that he makes this shit. No amount of gaming makes up for that.

LastUtopia
Feb 23, 2001, 09:58 PM
On 2001-02-23 18:16, Mindblade wrote:
*Notices he siad he will stay for a little longer*

Whoops, I guess my in-game pep-talk did help a bit. Anyway, good. I think if you stay a bit longer, a play some more gamees, you will decide to stay permently. Cool.

Nah, I'm not staying just for now, I'm here for good. It'll be a while before I can actually play with any of you, but I'm going to try to get back up there as soon as I can. Level 13 right now, so just 32 levels to go!

All the people gather, fly to carry each his burden, we are young despite the years; we are concern, we are hope despite the times...

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: LastUtopia on 2001-02-23 19:01 ]</font>