PDA

View Full Version : Neko rambling: Protect your character from power outages

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 09:09 PM
It's a fact that the PSO save file on Dreamcast and Gamecube is automatically and often saved at certain points while online. It's also true that items in the inventory that were unequipped at the last autosave are deleted when the game is not saved by choosing "Quit game" or through soft resetting.

In theory, if a memory card is removed while the console is saving to it, the file may become corrupted and unusable. Another theory is that when an equipped, autosaved item is dropped (either manually or when the autosaved, equipped weapon is dropped from losing all HP), the game saves to the memory card only the fact that the item was unequipped, but not any other changes.

There are two power-outage-related events that can occur that will either cause items to be lost, or the entire character to be lost.
The first situation is simply losing power to the console and having to go back to the last autosaved point in the game. The character is usually fine, but will most likely lose some items.
The second, much worse situation, has two events occuring simultaneously: Losing power while the game is either autosaving, saving through the "quit game", or through soft-resetting. This may cause "This file cannot be used to play the game" to display when at the character screen, which is a sign of a corrupted file. One may be lucky and only lose the guildcard file, since two different files are saved when using "quit game" or by soft resetting.

So, *sob*, what can be done? An investment in a UPS, or Uninterruptible Power Supply, can protect your characters from power outages. When such a device detects that the power from the outlet has been cut off, it supplies select devices with power from internal batteries. There are a wide variety of brands, which vary in how many devices can be supplied power, and for how long the battery will last. The least expensive office ones can provide power for a few minutes to a TV and gamecube/dreamcast, which is enough time to save and quit the game properly.

I use an APC (http://www.apc.com/products/) brand UPS, which not only gives battery backup but also has insured surge protection. This mofo UPS (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK350&language=en&LOCAL.APCCountryCode=WW) protects my computer, monitor, and gamecube =3.

This ghetto one will give you about a minute to save and quit. (http://www.officedepot.com/shop/catalog/sku.asp?ID=119284&LEVEL=SK&SID=JDRWD9H1DDKA9M2RUPPM2ALVLNWMBBKB&PP=14)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko on 2002-09-21 12:57 ]</font>

Shadow_Blade
Aug 26, 2002, 09:54 PM
I'm a little confused. Does the battery charge intill there is a power surge or is it just a battery pack?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 10:17 PM
Your devices connect to the UPS, and the UPS connects to a wall power outlet. When there is power coming from the wall outlet, the UPS will both charge its own battery and pass normal AC electricity to your devices. When power from the wall outlet is stopped, the battery automatically supplies power to your devices without any interruption.

I recommend fully charging the UPS's battery and then testing it with a full load. This can be done by turning on the devices that will draw power from the battery, and unplugging the UPS from the wall outlet. Mine failed to provide power the first time, but has been flawless ever since.

l337_h4xOr
Aug 26, 2002, 10:45 PM
There is something to be said about people that use a UPS on their videogame system, lol.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 10:52 PM
"Hardcore!"

l337_h4xOr
Aug 26, 2002, 10:56 PM
I suppose that is one way to describe them.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 10:57 PM
"Big noses" too =>_>=;;;

Parn
Aug 26, 2002, 11:24 PM
On 2002-08-26 20:45, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
There is something to be said about people that use a UPS on their videogame system, lol.

What's worse is that you even fucking care.

l337_h4xOr
Aug 26, 2002, 11:33 PM
On 2002-08-26 21:24, Parn wrote:

On 2002-08-26 20:45, 1337_h4xOr wrote:

What's worse is that you even fucking care.

And even worse then that is that you care that I care!

P.S. I never said i did care you frickin genius.

Spy
Aug 26, 2002, 11:42 PM
What's really sad is that:

A. Some people need to be told about UPS's.

- and -

B. They couldn't figure this solution out for themselves.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 11:44 PM
I'm getting paid to advertise =^.-=

Spy
Aug 26, 2002, 11:51 PM
Depends Brand Adult Diapers pays me to advertise too. I could go on and on about the comfortable feel, superior absorbancy, and durable design of the Depends undergarnments, but, hey, I don't need the money that bad.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Parn
Aug 26, 2002, 11:57 PM
lolita edit: deleted flame and flamebait

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-08-26 23:17 ]</font>

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 26, 2002, 11:59 PM
Purr, I'll be in catnip for life.

Oh, the APC UPS that I have also surge protects the modem line. It's so good, you'll want your equipment to get fried in order to claim insurance!!! I sure could go for one of those 2 ghz CPUs.

l337_h4xOr
Aug 27, 2002, 12:25 AM
lolita edit: deleted flaming

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-08-26 23:17 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Aug 27, 2002, 12:35 AM
you kids, quit the flaming now

Parn
Aug 27, 2002, 12:37 AM
lolita edit: flaming deleted

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-08-26 23:15 ]</font>

Parn
Aug 27, 2002, 12:38 AM
On 2002-08-26 22:35, LollipopLolita wrote:
you kids, quit the flaming now

Eh... I'll stop. Didn't see your post until after I posted.

Shadow_Blade
Aug 27, 2002, 12:38 AM
PSOW repeats itself far to often...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Blade on 2002-08-26 22:39 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Aug 27, 2002, 12:42 AM
parn, i understand but now everyone stops. don't ruin the topic.

l337_h4xOr
Aug 27, 2002, 01:03 AM
this is your first warning. stop the flaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-08-26 23:14 ]</font>

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 27, 2002, 01:10 AM
"1. No "Lamers". Think before you post. Make sure your post will not offend others. Please try to stay on topic in accordance with the original post. Please try to keep your language clean if possible. We're a forum, not a bar or pub. Do not respond to flamebait. We'll handle it."

"Note: Flamebaiting, or throwing remarks at users in attempt to get them to flame you, is just as bad as flaming."

FDA to all of ya =^.-= "Not that I'm eating your cheese, you see, I'm just a living garbage disposal raiding your fridge."

Ian D
Aug 27, 2002, 01:14 AM
I think a UPS is a great idea, I'm not sure I would use it exclusively for PSO, but if I can hook it up to the computer, the DC/GC, and the TV then why not? Well, unless it costs a fortune...

[Edit: Um, how much did it cost?]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y0SHI on 2002-08-26 23:21 ]</font>

neko-chan
Aug 27, 2002, 03:59 AM
Whoa! Insta-flame editing. This is something new around here!

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 27, 2002, 04:08 AM
Yay clean-up =3.

As for prices, nyan, you'll need to figure out how long you want your devices to stay on, and how many volts and watts you'll need. It's not too expensive if all you want is to properly save within 5 minutes, rather than have 30 minutes of emergency power =^-^=;

Under $80 usd for this purpose, really =>_>=;

rena-ko
Aug 27, 2002, 05:15 AM
hm, maybe i should think about something like that - had a complete power off at home right now... when i had played just now, anything could have happened to my char...

(and now you tell me, offline mode is save..)

Darrin
Aug 27, 2002, 06:04 AM
I should get some of those

saffaya
Aug 27, 2002, 06:35 AM
informative post but a bit late ?
My DC is on UPS since my PSO day one.
Never wanted to take chances at losing my chars.

Guess it could still be useful for new comers on GC.
Except that : if ST were smart or caring(which I really doubt now), this would never happen.
The solution is so simple, you'd want to yell at them for not doing it.
(a bit like the stupid disk layout of v2 that drives the life out of your DC's drive motor)
They would have 2 save files for each char on a memory card. If one got corrupted by power-out, it would revert to the previous one. They would of course willfully remove items, but you would NOT LOSE YOUR CHAR.

But since when do they care ?

Agent_Reav
Aug 27, 2002, 06:43 AM
I'm sure most ppl know about the beauty of the UPS... Its saved me arse when doing term papers dozens of times and keeps me online in Return to Castle Wolfenstein so I can fight for the motherland O.o But I never invested in one for my TV/GC/XB/PS2/DC setup... I'm about to goto best buy and see how much it would cost me for a cheap 8 outlet one :/

TeamPhalanx
Aug 27, 2002, 12:19 PM
So, before I go to Radio Shack and pull out my CC, mind telling us how much these things typically go for?

Parn
Aug 27, 2002, 12:35 PM
The low-end stuff averages around $100+. Pretty pricy stuff.

My point of view: power outages are rare, and when they happen, it's usually during inclement weather. Just don't play during inclement weather and you should be fine pretty much.

Ian D
Aug 27, 2002, 01:09 PM
Yes, I guess that makes sense Parn... but us hardcore gamers are like mailmen, through rain and storms and crap like that. Yeah.

TeamPhalanx
Aug 27, 2002, 04:22 PM
Geh... $100... I'll save myself the $ and just won't play during inclement weather.

Agent_Reav
Aug 27, 2002, 06:04 PM
Just came from my local best buy... They have a 10 minute one (plenty of time to quit and save) for only $29.99. These things aren't that expensive and it saves ur equipment from sudden losses of power (which could damage them)... It's also nice to have just in case the power goes out for no particular reason (use to happen in my neighborhood alot :/)!

TedEdFred
Aug 27, 2002, 09:53 PM
I thought about this quite awile ago for DC PSO but never got around to/decided against/was too poor so I never got one. I'm still too poor to get one now. I'll just not play during storms and hope nothing bad happens.

Sedric
Aug 28, 2002, 02:14 AM
Great....

Spend 100 bucks to save your 1's and 0's!!!

End of my comment.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 28, 2002, 02:31 AM
Pupupu, also need an inflatable raft in case of flood, burglar alarm, dust-air filtration system, external cooling assistance system, and anti-shock foam-padded floors. =>.>=

Spy
Aug 28, 2002, 02:46 AM
On 2002-08-28 00:31, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:
Pupupu, also need an inflatable raft in case of flood, burglar alarm, dust-air filtration system, external cooling assistance system, and anti-shock foam-padded floors. =>.>=

You forgot the anti-terrorist, anti-anthrax gas masks!

TeamPhalanx
Aug 28, 2002, 06:21 PM
Gas mask won't protect you against Anthrax.

Ian D
Aug 28, 2002, 08:03 PM
But they'll save your console!

Buffy
Aug 30, 2002, 06:23 AM
More importantly than saving your PSO character during a power break, the UPS protects any electrical system it's hooked up to. It stops the spikes hitting the PC/DC/whatever, thereby nullifying the threat of toasted electronics.

Which, incidentally, is handy.

~B.

Wang_Tang
Aug 30, 2002, 02:38 PM
O_o

amoralist
Aug 30, 2002, 04:40 PM
Power Surges come with these too you know. If you find the right rebates, you can get these for free.

Check Fat Wallet (http://www.fatwallet.com)

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Sep 21, 2002, 02:54 PM
Cheapest one I could find was this one (http://www.officedepot.com/shop/catalog/sku.asp?ID=119284&LEVEL=SK&SID=JDRWD9H1DDKA9M2RUPPM2ALVLNWMBBKB&PP=14) for $40 in a list of these (http://www.officedepot.com/shop/search/hierarchyResults.asp?type=2&DIV%5FID=20&CATG%5FID=2003&ANDOR=&WILDCARDS=&STEMMING=&advancedqu=apc+ups&SID=JXR0KD9VV3HR9GJPGXWVSWHQCTRE8SB0&PP=0)

Ziggy-san
Sep 24, 2002, 09:23 PM
First of all, I would like to say congradulations to whoever banned Greg 1337 h4x0r, he was getting a bit annoying...

Second, Snap, thanks for pulling up info. Personally, I doubt I'll need something like this. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had a corrupted character. Lost items maybe, but I think ever since auto-save, that problem's been done away with.

Now...if only I could find a really really cheap one that could power a TV and GC for 30 seconds, since that would be enough to save and quit XD