PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about PSU

Jarvis
Sep 13, 2005, 02:19 AM
Is it just me or does the idea of releasing PSU on playstation 2 late this year seem like a bad idea? I mean the consoles almost at it's life end, the xbox 360 will be releasing soon after the game releases (which nobody is even sure of the games release) the PS3 may be soon after and it's worrying that the game won't be getting patches or updates via a hard drive.
Hopefully Sonic team have learnt from the issues maintaining an online game beforehand with PSO and improve the maintenance on PSU so we get less duping and glitches. Especially since the game is also on PC where other games of the same genre such as WoW have benefited majorily from this. How will Sonic team team deal with maintaining the game online accross two platforms without patches or updates via a hard-drive? They can't seem to do it now properly, just have a look at the gamecube and xbox versions of PSO. PSOBB i'm not really sure of the hacking situtation.. Can anybody fill me in on that? I think the fee's to play this game may be more then we've had before if Sonic team really wants to take care of their players.. I'm not trying to bag out the company. I just want to see this game do well and Sonic team get the success it deserves for the franchise.. It wouldn't suprise me with all the vagueness surrounding the games release date that it gets pushed onto the PS3. It'd probably do alot better on it.. It's going to be interesting to see what happens and how this game does.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarvis on 2005-09-13 00:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarvis on 2005-09-13 00:24 ]</font>

_Tek_
Sep 13, 2005, 05:16 AM
"Is it just me or does the idea of releasing PSU on playstation 2 late this year seem like a bad idea?"

I don't think its a bad idea.

Reenee
Sep 13, 2005, 09:01 AM
Is it just me or does the idea of releasing PSU on playstation 2 late this year seem like a bad idea? I mean the consoles almost at it's life end, the xbox 360 will be releasing soon after the game releases (which nobody is even sure of the games release) the PS3 may be soon after and it's worrying that the game won't be getting patches or updates via a hard drive.

Everybody isn't going to own a PS3/360 when they're out. People forget this. The 360 is going to sell 700,000-1,000,000 on the day of release anyways. Would you prefer such a small amount for that or the millions already on PS2? They're considering next-gen anyways, but that may not be until a price drop for PS3/360.

watashiwa
Sep 13, 2005, 10:25 AM
On 2005-09-13 00:19, Jarvis wrote:
Is it just me or does the idea of releasing PSU on playstation 2 late this year seem like a bad idea? I mean the consoles almost at it's life end

Who says? Just because new consoles come out doesn't immediately kill the life of other ones, especially the PS2.

I'm sure it's got a fair amount of life left in it, thanks to both the people who own one and the companies who make games for it.

SubstanceD
Sep 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
On 2005-09-13 07:01, Reenee wrote:

Everybody isn't going to own a PS3/360 when they're out. People forget this. The 360 is going to sell 700,000-1,000,000 on the day of release anyways. Would you prefer such a small amount for that or the millions already on PS2? They're considering next-gen anyways, but that may not be until a price drop for PS3/360.

Excatly.

It seems that alot of people still aren't aware of the fact that Sonic Team are speciffically releasing this game for the PS2 because it has the largest userbase ( by there logic, they are hoping to sell more games then they did with the other PSO games on the other consoles ). It's going to be awhile before any of the next gen consoles sell as much units as the PS2. Besides, the PS3 is going to be backwards compatible with PS2 games. If you're interested in PSU and you don't own a PS2 ( and you don't want to buy one since teh system is about to die ) you can always wait untill the PS3 comes out and buy PSU then. And if you're not interested in the PS3 there is always the PC version so why should you be concerened.

Alisha
Sep 13, 2005, 02:43 PM
i could be wrong but i believe pso ver2-pso ep3 had patching you just didnt see it occuring i seem to remember pso ver2 having a really long log in period

Jarvis
Sep 13, 2005, 08:46 PM
I just hope the game is dupe and hacking free.. Cause it's possible to do, It's been done with WoW.. but i dont think Sonic team has as much money as blizzard.

Uncle_bob
Sep 13, 2005, 08:48 PM
On 2005-09-13 18:46, Jarvis wrote:
I just hope the game is dupe and hacking free.. Cause it's possible to do, It's been done with WoW.. but i dont think Sonic team has as much money as blizzard.

As much money as they charged for their mediocre service on every version of Phantasy Star Online, they should have a pile of money stored up somewhere.

Dre_o
Sep 13, 2005, 09:27 PM
As much money as they charged for their mediocre service on every version of Phantasy Star Online, they should have a pile of money stored up somewhere. Damn it's about time someone said that. But yes I agree.

________
trichomes (http://trichomes.org)

Rubesahl
Sep 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
On 2005-09-13 18:48, Uncle_bob wrote:

On 2005-09-13 18:46, Jarvis wrote:

As much money as they charged for their mediocre service on every version of Phantasy Star Online, they should have a pile of money stored up somewhere.

I highly doubt ST is that wealthy >_> besides it's not like they charge the usual money for PSO when compared to other games which are like 15$ a month. PSO on XB didn't go well at all and it went OK on GC. PSO BB they just win money from monthly services... And there's barely a high amount of people. Anyways I don't think they've ever overcharged for the modest company they are, it's always been lower than 14.95 a month >_>;; Plus whith so many hours of fun it provides, full of updates at least in it's first year of each version, I think they charge vs the service is just fine. If PSO were in the same scale as a game as WoW or FFXI then I'd be complaining... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Spider
Sep 15, 2005, 05:14 AM
On 2005-09-13 18:48, Uncle_bob wrote:

I think it may be whats keeping Sega from shutting down http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyways, I think it sucks, mainly due to the fact I own an Xbox and Gamecube, and haven't planned to get a PS2, but now I'll have to, that or get a suped up computer for the PC version.

omegabuild
Sep 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
Uh... at their peak teh games had a decent amount of users. ALso oen of teh emain reasons they didnt do well was poor security, lack of new content.
keep in mind that for every pso they sold actual games which cost 20 to 50 dollars, teh 9 dollars a month they charged, only added to the profit.

This being said, it has just occured to me that pso has always been plagued by hacks and etc throughout its carreer. I had forgotten how bad it was since i havent played in so long, my mind shows FFXI and WoW wich are pretty much hack free, or quickly corrected.
I dont think sonic team is super rich, but they have enough to hire skilled people. I really hope we dont see a return of pso's maintenance style, content addition style, or security style.

As far as content... well it will probably kind of suck because they want to put the game out for ps2 without hardrive, which means all major content must be on teh original disc. hence you can only update or upgrade so much.

rena-ko
Sep 25, 2005, 11:25 AM
ps3's compatibility with ps2 and ps1 software.

jean-yavon
Sep 25, 2005, 01:40 PM
I am going to get it no matter what system it comes
out on. I already own a PS2 and I'm planning on getting a PS3, so no it doesn't matter what it for to me.

Rion772
Sep 29, 2005, 04:31 PM
hmm it's coming out on ps2 for sure if you ask me, only a few months before it comes out and i doubt they would randomly change it, anyway it won't be much better on ps3, the graphics now-a-days are pretty good, and i really doubt that there would be such a difference between ps2 and ps3 or 4 whenever that comes out if it does in like 7 years that would be like sega compared ps2, its very unlikely so it doesn't matter to me, it looks good no matter what newage-ish system you put it on. So there's no need to be concerned at all, and I really hope that sega pays for online play like monster hunter, socom, etc...if not I hope it's not super expensive (which is unlikely(and i'm sure Sega has plenty of money, or they wouldn't be making such a nice game like PSU =) )

omegabuild
Sep 29, 2005, 05:31 PM
PS2 or Ps3 doesnt really matter in and of itself. like someone says ps3 will probably run ps2 games.
The problem with ps2, is it doesnt support a hardrive. therefore the game has to be perfect the first time around. In GC and DC you saw people able to manipulate bugs, STs ability to solve problems was limited by the fact they were working with a hardcoded CD which tehy could not alter.
FFXI WoW etc all these games they can alter the whole game if they encounter a problem. this wont be the case with pso. Also this means the new content they add over time has to already be planned. No adding anything that they didnt desisgn in game up to this point.
Personally id rather it worked with the hardrive or wasnt on ps2 at all.

_Tek_
Sep 29, 2005, 08:57 PM
An PS game without glitches just doesn't seem like PS game at all.

Max085
Oct 5, 2005, 07:11 PM
It seems no one is familiar with how Everquest Online Adventures updated for the Ps2. SoE used the memory cards to store all of their updates, though most were just fix's and events, they couldn't do any graphics changes without a new disc. I don't really see why it would be too much worse than the pc version's updates. EQoA could be patched in many ways. I don't remember if PSO on the cube was patched somehow, but it must not have been anything big enough to notice. The memory cards should be able to hold the same amount of data as the hard drive would for patches, correct me if I'm wrong I'm not really sure.

OdinTyler
Oct 6, 2005, 10:02 PM
Actually Max, I can tell ya about EQOA as Im kinda on break from that. Alot of updates & such were server side. The cd was used to pull material off of & then things were written onto the server. I believe the memcards just serve to store your acct info & all. Odd that it cant be copied to other memcards. Also, let me tell ya, SOE isnt that great when it comes to updates but theyve gotten better. One thing I like is sometimes you can talk to actual admins, something I hope we can do on PSU. Even if they ignore us, Id like to know we have the chance to speak about ideas or concerns.

ANIMEniac
Oct 6, 2005, 11:22 PM
One thing i hope that doesnt happen in PSU is having people tell you what your job is. even tho i dont really play as a force much, i hate it when others yell at forces saying "where is my shifta and deband." people should be gratefull of forces not think it is there job to do only one thing and be other players *female dog*. on PSU i will have a Newman raised as a hunter (hard task) but if i start getting players that think i am supposed to S&D them just cause of my race they are mistaken. (on a side note i do normaly S&D players just out of kindness but it is by no means my duty)

on a lighter note i really hope Burning Rangers, or a remix, is on PSU ^_^.

omegabuild
Oct 7, 2005, 01:03 AM
memory cards can only hold a key amount of information. and, the server side stuf fcan be changed, but hard coded game stuff cannot be changed, this is why ST said they couldnt fix many of teh bugs in PSO because they were hard coded, aside from that. you cant get any real new levels chars ecetera with a mem card, all must already be programed into the disk, or be made from pieces already on teh disk.

For example teh type of thing that happens in FFXI where new looking gear and new monsters are added to teh game with no new discs cant really be done.

Keep in mind, i think by teh time EQ came to PS2 it was a gaem where they had already hammered out most bugs in the PC run.

Max085
Oct 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
Ah, well that makes more sense. Been forever since I played eqoa, but still I dont see PSU doing anything like that. Maybe they will though.

Shadowhanto
Oct 7, 2005, 07:21 PM
So as long as its coming out right?....RIGHT?!

Rion772
Oct 7, 2005, 07:42 PM
On 2005-10-07 17:21, Shadowhanto wrote:
So as long as its coming out right?....RIGHT?!

Agreed - as long as it comes out..hopefully soon-ish