PDA

View Full Version : Regarding online play.

Uncle_bob
Sep 13, 2005, 02:36 PM
So, is it confirmed that only four people can play together at once, like on PSO?

Or is it going to be more like several units play together, each unit consisting of four people?

Or is it still too fuzzy to tell? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

KaFKa
Sep 13, 2005, 02:37 PM
Methinks your in the wrong forum, Umkel.

_Tek_
Sep 13, 2005, 03:45 PM
I think someone mentioned that teams will be up to 16 max.

Sharkyland
Sep 13, 2005, 06:36 PM
According to that one detailed report about the PSU: "Party Size: While the final party size limit is still unknown, Sonic Team does want parties to be larger than in PSO, meaning we will possibly have more than 4 party members in PSU."

I would guess 4 or 5.

But it all depends on a bunch of things actually like how much information does each character take in the RAM and what are the max number of enemies that can appear in the screen. I mean the more people in a party, the more space it take. I'm pretty sure certain computers out there could handle some really big parties, but if they are going to be consistent with PS2 and PC, they would keep the party size small.

And also since we are dealing with BB connects were actually do not have to worry too much about having modem people slow down the BB connections. So I'm waiting to hear what is the decision.

---

Though according tot he fighting screen shots, it seems like it can fit 6 or 7 people on that one side of the screen.

_Tek_
Sep 13, 2005, 08:30 PM
"IGN: How many people can exist in this world at the same time?

Miyoshi: Somewhere around 100."

Perhaps there will be tons of people, but you can only make up small groups of 4 or more as yoru team, so you can resta each other and such. But perhaps for larger quests that involve a boss you may need a min requirement of 4 or more jsut to play them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-09-13 18:32 ]</font>

Jarvis
Sep 13, 2005, 09:09 PM
I hope it's like 6 in a group.. It'd be cool if there was quests where your put up against another group of 6 in the same level, and it's a race against each other to see who can complete the objectives quickest or kill the most enemies or something.

DarK-SuN
Sep 13, 2005, 09:53 PM
Even though the party limit is unknown, don't expect anything higher than 8 players in a party, even if the cities (the new lobby replacements) support around 100 players (or more, taking the interview into consideration).
16 players in a party might be a big stretch though (but not impossible), so at most 8 is more realistic, in my view.

Parn
Sep 14, 2005, 12:16 AM
Based on current screenshots along with video footage and looking at the area that each character's name and their HP bar takes up, you would stack about 5 characters above your own character's status bar on the bottom left. Normally I'd have said 7, but the latest trailer had enemy data on the top left of the screen, which leaves just enough room for five status bars and names above your own character's name.

Therefore, I'd assume 6 in a team at the very most, because any more and you'd have to start a second row of character HP bars and names, and at that point you'd start losing your ability to see effectively. That's pretty much the size of a party in Final Fantasy XI as well, so... it makes sense I think.

_Tek_
Sep 14, 2005, 12:47 AM
And that's judging from pc resolution? Would that be 1024-780?

But also in PSO's multiplyaer, they managed to squish the bars down to a very small size.

Perhaps PS2's version may be a bit shrunken.

Parn
Sep 14, 2005, 01:14 AM
On 2005-09-13 22:47, _Tek_ wrote:
And that's judging from pc resolution?
I don't see any PC screenshots of PSU anywhere.

_Tek_
Sep 14, 2005, 02:00 PM
Here's a picture of actual gameplay, at 800x600. I think its just grainy looking because its a jpg:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/644/644429/phantasy-star-universe-20050823065600934.jpg
And here's a bit of an edit I made. It could possible to have a team of 7 and enemy data on a low resolution, without having those bars reduced in size. But if the teams end up being bigger, I think those bars could be reduced to fit more:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25613554965.jpg&s=x1

watashiwa
Sep 14, 2005, 04:15 PM
On 2005-09-13 23:14, Parn wrote:
I don't see any PC screenshots of PSU anywhere.

I've always assumed everything they've shown PSU was shots or movies from the PC. I can't imagine a PS2 game looking that good.

Where are the jaggies?!

There have only been a few games on PS2 which featured anti-aliasing to get rid of jaggies. I can name most of them. The Metal Gear Solid games, the Tekken games, and uh.. That's all I know of.

I don't see a jaggy at all in these photos and movies, which makes me think they're taking them on a PC with AA turned on.

They're just too bright and colorful to make me think it's on PS2 and PS2 doesn't do lighting that well. Not as good as the other consoles. =/

(Yes, even the images they have in the images section for PSU at ps2.ign.com, I still think they're from the PC version. They are 800x600 and PS2 does not support that resolution. =P)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2005-09-14 14:22 ]</font>

Reenee
Sep 14, 2005, 06:47 PM
On 2005-09-14 14:15, watashiwa wrote:
They are 800x600 and PS2 does not support that resolution. =P)

BRILLIANT. QFE.

DarK-SuN
Sep 14, 2005, 07:46 PM
All the gameplay footage taken with cameras from E3 were of the PC version as well, it was noticeable since screens said "Press Enter" and had a smaller map display and smaller gauges since the resolution was higher.

_Tek_
Sep 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
So ps2's max resolution is 640x480?

Jarvis
Sep 14, 2005, 09:36 PM
The data in the righthand corner of the screen with the 180/180 next to that sword symbol.. looks like the weapons might have durability now.. interesting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarvis on 2005-09-14 19:36 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 14, 2005, 09:41 PM
http://members.cox.net/jasonwalton/PSU/psups2.jpg
Phantasy Star Universe, PlayStation 2

http://members.cox.net/jasonwalton/PSU/psupc.jpg
Phantasy Star Universe, PC

Resolution of the screenshots taken is irrelevant. I can take 640x480 screenshots of Sega Saturn games if I wanted right now with my video capture card, and most games on that console don't utilize that resolution.

Besides, if those screens on IGN were truly 800x600 PC screens, not only are they not very sharp, but that would also mean that the PS2 version would have an extremely cluttered interface like Final Fantasy XI suffers from, and that would translate to something horrible for an action-based game.

I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm right on this one. =P

Jarvis
Sep 14, 2005, 09:46 PM
Wow.. you can really tell the difference there, either way they're both still hot. That area looks like a better version of forest.. those character names are abit ah.. strange...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jarvis on 2005-09-14 19:48 ]</font>

_Tek_
Sep 14, 2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah that's right, since those little health bars are already pretty dam small ammount of pixels for the ps2 version, I doubt sega team would go and srhink them anymore, if there were going to be teams larger of 6.

So then we must still conclude its just going to be teams of 6. Parn wins again, lol.

And its probably not possible that we'll be seeing multiple teams in the same area.

Parn
Sep 14, 2005, 09:59 PM
Actually, now that I look at things again, it is possible that I'm wrong. Those screenshots on IGN are clearly taken from a version of the game running at 640x480, but those could be PC screenshots just the same.

Either that, or the television displaying the PlayStation 2 version at E3 just sucked.

Dre_o
Sep 14, 2005, 10:28 PM
Pixle amount or not I don't care. All I can say is....sniffle so awsome looking.

________
BMW R11 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R11)

_Tek_
Sep 14, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah the pixel amount won't be too bad, plus those are screenshots of TVs or monitors, they aren't direct feed, so that make slook a bit uglier.

Hey I jsut noticed something. On the lower quality screen, its shows Ethan with a saber and a handgun equipped, yet there is still just one weapon energy bar. But also the handgun symbol looks dimmer. What does this mean? Can you link the power of 2 weapons? But that's a bit strange, when you have 2 weapons there should be a power bar for each displayed, right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-09-14 20:54 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 14, 2005, 10:34 PM
You don't use both weapons at the same time, and they have their own respective charge. You swap between either with the press of a button.

Larian
Sep 16, 2005, 09:19 PM
On 2005-09-13 16:36, Sharkyland wrote:
But it all depends on a bunch of things actually like how much information does each character take in the RAM and what are the max number of enemies that can appear in the screen. I mean the more people in a party, the more space it take. I'm pretty sure certain computers out there could handle some really big parties, but if they are going to be consistent with PS2 and PC, they would keep the party size small.

I also think you need to take the bots into account. Depending on how they move/fight would take up RAM as well.

Rion772
Sep 19, 2005, 06:29 PM
On 2005-09-13 12:36, Uncle_bob wrote:
So, is it confirmed that only four people can play together at once, like on PSO?

Or is it going to be more like several units play together, each unit consisting of four people?

Or is it still too fuzzy to tell? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Just by looking at the pictures im pretty sure u make ur own group or join a group of 4 players making a "unit" but during your play you can run into other "units" or individual players seeking to play solo during your exploration of the dungeons...ive read up on this game quite a bit but not nearly finished...im really amped to get it.

Rion772
Sep 19, 2005, 06:33 PM
one thing that bothers me a lot is that i dont think you can give items to your offline player/ethan from your online character and vise versa...it would make them game really interesting if you could take your online player offline to just fight but not be able to do the story line with that character...=/

Reenee
Sep 19, 2005, 09:04 PM
Ugh, dammit, I don't know how to respond to that. That simply isn't going to happen, but I can't muster up the reason why. Just...no.

Also, EDIT your posts please if you have something extra to say.

Spider
Sep 20, 2005, 04:57 AM
Depends how good your computer is too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm planning on getting a ridiculously good computer someday soon... yep soon...

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 05:02 AM
On 2005-09-20 02:57, Spider wrote:
Depends how good your computer is too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm planning on getting a ridiculously good computer someday soon... yep soon...

haha, ridiculously good? or you could just get a few sticks of RAM and give ur computer a little boost...atleast thats what im doing before psu comes out

Reenee
Sep 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
And hard drive space, and graphics card, and the speed of your computer, and...

I don't like the fact that the PC specs haven't been released yet.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 02:04 PM
i dont think im gonna bother with getting the pc version...its too much of a hassle and i like to stick w/ the old fashioned playstation =)